Question about half marathons

your friend

Mouseketeer
I was an avid runner and athlete in high school and have recently gotten back into it. I have been working out and running pretty steady for a year but have gotten really serious since August. In all I have lost 25 lbs. and am pretty happy with myself. Now I have come to begin to realize my goal of a half marathon I set in high school. I plan to run my first one on April 27th in ocean city md. I also plan on running the wine and dine half in November. My question is about time between half marathons. I really want to run the rock and roll half marathon in Philly in September. Would that be too close to the wine and dine? I do also plan on training for the one on the 27th and the wine and dine. Could I just make the rock and roll marathon part of my training for the wine and dine?

I was an avid runner and athlete in high school and have recently gotten back into it. I have been working out and running pretty steady for a year but have gotten really serious since August. In all I have lost 25 lbs. and am pretty happy with myself. Now I have come to begin to realize my goal of a half marathon I set in high school. I plan to run my first one on April 27th in ocean city md. I also plan on running the wine and dine half in November. My question is about time between half marathons. I really want to run the rock and roll half marathon in Philly in September. Would that be too close to the wine and dine? I do also plan on training for the one on the 27th and the wine and dine. Could I just make the rock and roll marathon part of my training for the wine and dine?

I ran the Ocean City, MD race and the RnR Philly race this year. They're both fun runs, although I think I liked Philly better.

I think you'll be fine timing-wise. I did a marathon a month after running in Philly; had no trouble.

From a health standpoint, there should be no issues, but keep an eye on your weekly mileage.

So, on April 27 you will run your first 13.1, then another 13.1 five months later and another 13.1 two months after that....that's more than doable.

What you will need to be careful with is your mileage after each race, but most training plans will probably have you running somewhere between 15-20 miles a week for each race. So, after the philly race, take about 2-3 weeks to get back to your regular weekly mileage.

Meaning, week one after philly do about 20%-25% of your normal weekly mileage, week 2 after philly do about 50%-75% and week three do 75%-100% of your normal weekly mileage.

Your body will be trained so don't feel like you have to cram for the race. It's much better to go in healthy and slightly undertrained than properly trained but slightly injured or not recovered.

I started running again at the end of last year and did the Disney half for the first time last January. I got hooked.

I did a half marathon in mid Sept. Another at the end of Oct and then another the begining of December.

I don't know what the max is - clearly it depends on yourself.

The year 2012 - my first year doing half I did 7 half marathons. I went from 0-7.

...Your body will be trained so don't feel like you have to cram for the race. It's much better to go in healthy and slightly undertrained than properly trained but slightly injured or not recovered.
I too feel you will be fine. Pay attention to how you feel. Do not push for PRs if you are not feeling it; meaning that you may have to compromise some of your speed if you begin to pile on the events. Don't risk the injury.

(This coming from someone whe did the Firecracker Triple in Portland--3 halfs in 3 days, and someone who is planning Bear Lake halfs 2 states, 2 days in June AND someone who is seriously thinking about doing the 5 state in 5 days halfs this September. All slower, but I will enjoy the events.)
...at age 62, I guess I don't get much more sensible as I get older.

Is it safe to run the whole way? I know its better to do some walking throughout the 13.1 miles but I'm curious if there are folks that don't.

Is it safe to run the whole way? I know its better to do some walking throughout the 13.1 miles but I'm curious if there are folks that don't.

Short answer is yes there are no issues running much longer than a marathon distance continuously.

Walking in a marathon or half marathon is a recent phenomena. Galloway introduced run/walking as an alternative way of running the event. Actually, the walk part was originally a slow up period not specifically a walk. At the half marathon distance and at Disney, more folks run/walk or just walk than those who run through the event. That is not the case at many races, especially those where the course cutoff time is shorter than DIsney's.

As a note, I would not couch a run/walk as better than a continuous run or let a continuous runner argue visa versa. Its all about a differing level of fitness, ability to run within one's self and a certain amount of genetics. We coach first time runners run walking as it helps keep the heart rate down and allow the new runner to go further and longer faster. As a runner gains fitness and experience, there is nothing that says they can or can't take on the race in a continuos manner.

Hope this helps Will we see you in an upcoming half. It can be a life changing event.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter