Question about bugs at CC

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by Jaylie, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Jaylie

Jaylie DIS Veteran

I'll be going on the Wonder on March 14 for the 4-night cruise. I'm wondering if we will have any problems with bugs at that time of year. I have very sensitive skin and worry about bites. Thanks.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. wld4mky

wld4mky DIS Veteran

Just got back fron the Magic Cruise Feb. 20-27
    Had no problem with bugs or bites at CC.
    Enjoy your cruise, we sure did!;)

4. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

In 23 sailings, I've never had a problem. There have been reports of issues, but none for me!

5. Tinkerkell123

Tinkerkell123 DIS Veteran

Magic cruise of January 23-30 there were "no-seeums" there. Lots of people complained, but as I am recently relocated from the coast they weren't that bad to me. I would suggest taking something like the sunblock Avon sells that has bug repellent in it also. Just one bottle that way and it works VERY well on those kinds of gnats. Used it all the time when we lived in Charleston.

Also, bugs seemed worse near plant areas...

Kelli

6. lbuher

lbuher DIS Veteran

There was a thread back in early February from someone who had experienced really bad no-seeums in late January on CC, but we were there just a few days after they were, and did not see/feel a single solitary one. Somebody mentioned that it might have to do with what the weather is like on that particular day, and someone else mentioned that they all hatch at the same time and live only a short time, and it's completely random when they might "strike".

I know that's not much help to you, but bottom line is that they could be horrible while you are there (so take some stuff and be prepared), or you might be fortunate like we were and have NONE at all. Hope it's the latter for you!

7. disneyfaninaz

disneyfaninaz It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

We never had a problem with bugs on our March cruises. However, I understand that the bugs get pretty bad after sunset, which is one reason the cruise ship leaves by then.

8. MexiFinn

MexiFinn Mouseketeer

Just off the 2/20 cruise. Althought there was a sign about the bugs, we didn't have any. Don't know if they were gone, they weren't attracted to us or that is was just too cold for them to come out that day! ;)

9. closetmickey

closetmickey DIS Veteran

Was there on a beautiful day- 2/7 cruise. Not a bug in sight. :)

10. disneygirl1213

disneygirl1213 Mouseketeer

We were just at CC on 2/19. We did not have a problem with bugs and even went biking and didn't need spray (although I see they have it there).

I had to go to the health office for my daughter and I saw that at least 4 people ahead of me had a problem with sea lice in the water. (We didn't go in the water -- it was only in the 60's on land) I asked the guy about it and he said that they have been reported near the play apparatus to the right side of the family beach. I am sure they move around, but maybe some Safe Sea would be a good idea!

11. luvmyprincess

luvmyprincess Mouseketeer

Yuck !!! I can't stop itching thinking about it !! :scared1:

12. ScouterJT

ScouterJT DIS Veteran

I wonder if the folks who were on the *special* Magic overnight stay at CC in February noticed a bug problem ...

13. Blanche_Neige

Blanche_Neige DIS Veteran

that is the only ICK factor to my vacation plans :scared1:

The safe sea has to be put on all over the body, even under the bathing suit?:confused3

Where do you buy it? We will be staying at a hotel at the port the night before the cruise, can we buy it around there? (we won't have a car)

14. vvv

vvv Mouseketeer

Since the winds were 50 MPH plus that evening, I don't think bugs were an issue nor was anybody outside to even notice if they were.

On the net, you can find a story written by a man whose family used to own Castaway Cay long before Disney did. It was called Gorda Cay and I think it was his Grandfather who built the runway on the island. Anyway, in the story the man talks about that they would sleep some evenings while floating in the ocean because the bugs were so bad.

15. MickeyMagic

MickeyMagic DIS Veteran

Just back from 3/4/10 Wonder cruise. We had no bug issues at CC. The winds were quite strong, so that would probably keep any bugs away.