Question - 25pts

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by scrap_heaven, Mar 16, 2013.

1. scrap_heaven

scrap_heaven Planning our second family trip to the MOUSE!!!

If we do not currently own a DVC, can we purchase a 25pt contract? We like to rent points for our vacations, I am thinking that by purchasing a 25pt DVC we can then trade points and have full control over our reservations.

Thank you for any help you can provide

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Official Ticket Center is Orlando’s #1 discount attraction ticket agency, selling millions of Walt Disney tickets around the world.

to hide this adverts.
  3. disbound09

disbound09 Mouseketeer DVC Gold

You can purchase any amount you would like. You would only have control of the reservations you make with those points. You would not control those you are renting from a DVC member.

4. scrap_heaven

Can't we transfer points from another member though to our account?

5. chalee94

chalee94 <font color=green>I thought all sand was ground up

you are allowed one transfer per year. yes.

but to get a 25 pt contract, you'll have to find one resale and they can be somewhat rare, and go quickly when they show up. (they also tend to cost more per pt than larger contracts, partly due to pricing and partly due to closing costs.)

6. nunzia

nunzia You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys

It's an interesting idea, but I don't know if people who rent would be as willing to make a transfer? Maybe some that rent out points could chime in.

7. DizBub

DizBub Totally Addicted

Like a previous poster said, small (25) point contracts are hard to come by. 25 points won't get you much. You can transfer points in but make sure you get enough for your purposes because you only get one transfer per year, in or out, not both. You should make sure they are bankable too in case you don't need to use them all.

If you want to stay at a certain resort and book early at 11 months, you must have those resort points and if they aren't the same as your points they can't be combined until the 7 month mark.

There is also the up to 24 one-time-use points you can buy from MS. They cost $15 pp and can only be purchased at 7 months.

8. crisi

crisi DIS Veteran

Due to the limitations (one transfer in or out) finding someone to transfer points isn't as easy as it used to be. Its probably better just to rent.

9. bkny

bkny Earning My Ears

Just to clarify is it once per year or once per ownership for the 24 points

10. disneynutz

disneynutz DIS Veteran DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Another transfer issue is that according to Disney rules, money can not change hands for the transfer. Repeating yearly transfers might raise questions.

:earsboy: Bill

11. scrap_heaven

Thank you very much! We are seriously thinking about buying DVC but I think it might be next year. For our vacation needs I think we want 200ish.

12. chalee94

once per year.

13. spears2008

spears2008 Earning My Ears

I did this very thing -- We purchased a 50 pt BWV contract to "get our foot in the door" so to speak. We were very motivated to close in time to take advantage of the great Premium Annual Pass discount that was offered last fall. As DVC members we were able to purchase PAP for our group of 8 and will be using those passes for at least 2 trips this year (hoping for 3). The PAP cost about the same as we had budgeted for our first weeks' tickets -- we now effectively have "free" tickets for our 2nd trip, a savings of over $300 per person, or about $2500. That made the cost of our DVC contract only about $1500 after taking into account this savings. Our contract came fully loaded with 150 points ready to use, which we would have paid at least $10 per point to rent, or the total $1500 remaining purchase price. You can look at it that we received the contract for the cost of 1 year's worth of annual dues (less than $300), which is the only cost that we wouldn't have incurred anyways.

Going forward we'll be able to use the contract to transfer points in from other members (rentals) and have small stays every 3 years or so. We also have access to the dvcmember website to check availability and browse. I'm a control freak and impatient, so waiting on a renter to provide me with information is tough for me.

A word of warning though: Watch out for the DVC bug. It is contagious! We ended up purchasing a 220 point BLT contract only 1 week after our offer was accepted on the small BWV contract.

14. ssawka

ssawka DIS Veteran

Having done both, I must say that I prefer to do a transfer. Basically, once the deal is done, it's done. You elevate any risk of the renters causing damage to their room. One caveat though is that I require full payment before transfering the points. Yes, it puts more risk on the renter, but if something does not go well, I can return the money. The renter cannot return the points.

15. Sandisw

Sandisw Moderator Moderator

Just to clarify, for new renters out there, transfers are only available between DVC members.

Someone who wants to rent a DVC reservation and is not already a DVC owner would have to find an owner willing to rent, not transfer.

16. chitwnnole

chitwnnole Earning My Ears

I actually just got confirmation on a 25 point contract today. I did this so that I could buy a little at a time on a cash only basis. I am real excited and look forward to adding more soon LOL

25 point ones are hard to find. I had a hard time getting a couple of 50 point ones to bite on my offers and found they all went for asking price

17. bkny

bkny Earning My Ears

This is an interesting strategy especially if you are new and just want to get your feet wet. I haven't looked at the rent board but I assume it is an easy process to find someone to transfer from. If you are looking to book at 11 months out should you find someone with the same UY? I know I am missing something here.

18. ssawka

ssawka DIS Veteran

UY really doesn't matter as long as the points will be current and available at the time of the trip (they cannot be borrowed or banked points). You get the 11 month advantage regardless of what your use year is. For example, if you have a February UY and your transferring in points with an April UY and making a reservation for June, that would be fine because the points would be current in June. The same holds true if your UY is April and you are transferring in February UY points.

19. chalee94

if you are looking to book at 11 months out you need to find pts with the right HOME RESORT. doesn't matter if you own a contract at BLT (or whatever)...if you transfer in OKW pts, then those transferred pts are only valid for booking OKW at 11 months out. (some suggest you think of it in terms of currency - you need the correct kind.)

given that members are limited to 1 transfer per UY (either in or out, not both), it is not a sure thing that you will be able to transfer in pts that fit your home resort requirements...for the right number of pts and within the correct UY (as stated, only "current" pts can be transferred - not banked or borrowed - and then once received, you can bank transferred pts forward one UY, but you cannot borrow transferred pts).

20. nunzia

nunzia You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys

I did this also...bought a 25 point resale at OKW when minimum buy in was 160. I sepcifically wanted VGC but wanted to get points in small increments as add ons, not a big 160 chunk. So..rented out the OKW points, then when VGC came out bought a 60 and 65 poiont contract then added on 2 50s, then just this month a 65 point direct and a 125 point resale (didn't dream the long direct waitlist and impulse resale bid would both come through!) Along the way I sold the OKW and came out pretty much even. But here you have it and there may come a time when renting points out or transfering to others could be an option, so I'm interested in opinions on this thread.