QueenDoOver's Completed (REALLY!) TR for Jack and Nathan's Surprise Bday Trip

Hi Molly, We will have to meet up for sure. I am sure we will be in the pool each day too. The 11th is our check out day and we get picked up at about 3, I am fairly sure, so we will be all packed up and having a nice day doing all our favorites again. We will surely pass through the Grand at least twice. I think we are going to forget about Goofy's and use the money instead to stick the little fellows in Pinochio's Workshop for a couple of hours, maybe Saturday night, so we can have a ladies night off. It will be a small fortune, but well worth it, I think. They will probably have just as much fun there, as anywhere.

So after much adooo (however you spell that??)...we finally decided on costumes. First they were going to be Jedi's, but then I saw the darling Woody and Buzz costumes at Disney. I actually went and bought $250 worth of costumes at the Disney Store and darn if those boys refused to even consider them. Well, Nathan would have been Buzz again, but my husband thought that was ridiculous as he already was Buzz two other years. Anyhow, Jack would not cooperate with any of the DisneyStore ideas at all! So we got online and found Captain Hook and Peter Pan and basically got them to agree to those choices based on the cool weapon packs that are accessories. I have to say, Nathan is a darling Peter Pan, especially now that he has lost one front tooth.

So we Moms are not dressing up. It is just too much work, since we will be going to the party the moment we get to the hotel. In fact I am dissapointed that they do not have the GC entrance open for party guests to use! That is very silly, and I would be sort of peeved if I was staying at the Grand! Anyhow, I do keep having fantasies of dressing as TinkerBell, but I am not at all pixish to look at right now! So think I will still just skip it.

Our plan lands just before 10am. I'm trying not to plan further, b/c I don't want to be disappointed if we're "late". But the goal is to get to DLR as soon as possible, most definitely!

Our plan lands just before 10am. I'm trying not to plan further, b/c I don't want to be disappointed if we're "late". But the goal is to get to DLR as soon as possible, most definitely!

Oh, great news then. Surely we will hook up with a full 24 hours of both of us in the vicinity. I mean, Mukilteo to Tacoma is just too far!:rotfl2:

See your TR regarding potential fireworks viewing plan:)

Just 3 more sleeps and we are off to see the mouse. Panic has set in. The time has come. It is now or never. I have to finish getting ready or it will go undone!

Update, in case you are not reading Bumbershoot's Pre trip, where I seem to be doing most of my planning and chatting:)

Jack's Dad called me and decided that he just can't miss Jack's first trip to Disney. So...we have one more on our trip. Dynamics will change but it will still be tons of fun and probably really special for Jack to have his Dad there. Honestly, Scott is not really a theme park dude, but I am committed to helping him find his magic. And since we camp together and actually spend a ton of time together, it is no big deal for all of us to be camped out in a hotel room together.

I have been thinking about how to change things a bit to increase all of our enjoyment. I think I will send Scott and Carrie on a date night on Friday, and I will take the boys to drive the Jungle Cruise boats, perhaps to the Lego Store before going to bed early after our Goofy's Kitchen Birthday Celebration. Then during "rest time", on Saturday, Scott can take the boys to the hotel and swim and nap them, and Carrie and I can have some girl time at the parks. Hoping that we can get the boys to take a good nap and then stay up for fireworks and maybe Fantasmic on Saturday.

So, are you reading Molly?? Fireworks plan is still on for Saturday night:)

Thanks for the offer of ear plugs. I actually have a huge container of them, because we wear them religously at my house. One kiddo with hearing loss, so we make sure there is not much opportunity to loose more due to environmental exposure. Nathan has not really needed them at the parks since he was little little, but Jack may need them as he is a bit more sensitive about some stuff. We'll see. Darn it, I have not gotten those light sticks yet!!

You'd asked (here? there?) about phone...my number is the same, and I have Dis Tracey in my phone address book, so I think I'm good. :) And yes I can text. Now, do I *hear* my phone? Not always. But if you change the last number to a 7, that's Robert's, and he does tend to hear his phone, and his phone gets better reception at the parks (they are both on the 3G network, I can't explain it), and he's used to getting calls for me on his phone, so feel free to dial that as an and/or situation. :)

Get to Michael's for the glowsticks; I hear they have the best value. We have so many I can't really justify searching Michael's again for them... Unless our checked bag goes missing (knock wood) we'll have a ton.

You'd asked (here? there?) about phone...my number is the same, and I have Dis Tracey in my phone address book, so I think I'm good. :) And yes I can text. Now, do I *hear* my phone? Not always. But if you change the last number to a 7, that's Robert's, and he does tend to hear his phone, and his phone gets better reception at the parks (they are both on the 3G network, I can't explain it), and he's used to getting calls for me on his phone, so feel free to dial that as an and/or situation. :)

Get to Michael's for the glowsticks; I hear they have the best value. We have so many I can't really justify searching Michael's again for them... Unless our checked bag goes missing (knock wood) we'll have a ton.

I got glow sticks! 6 cans:)

The day had finally arrived, and I thought with all my many trips, and the planning that I had done already, that I surely would have a leisurely morning before we left to the airport. No such luck. :lmao: I simply could not help myself. I decided that I had to have a mini plan printed and glued to my lanyard tags so that I could keep track of everything. Then I had to play with RideMax and create a few different possible ride plans, depending on when we arrived in the parks. I decided to hole punch those and put on hole rein forcers, and then put them on a round ring to be attached to my back pack. Worked like a charm I might add.:woohoo:
So after running around all morning, I popped into the school and picked up Nathan at 11:30 as promised. Back home again to put on the finishing touches. Nathan was so excited, he kept rolling the suitcases around the house. I finally told him to make himself useful and take those suitcases out to the car. Which he did. The whole reason I had kids ya know? Load the car, do the dishes….just kidding, of course!:rotfl2:
We made it to Jack’s house and extricated Jack, the luggage and the parents from the chaos of the little girls, the babysitter, and the friends. The drive to the airport parking was fairly uneventful, and the boys were pretty excited by their first attraction, the shuttle ride to the airport. No seat belts, woo hoo!:banana:
100_1147.jpg

The 'rents:
100_1149.jpg

As there was a $15 per bag checking fee, I had determined to carry on as much as possible. So, we had two suitcases and back packs to schlep through the security point, in addition to two CPAP machines. So anyhoo…30 minutes later and we were secure and headed for the food court.
If you did not read the Pre-trip, you might not know this, but Jack is newly diagnose with diabetes one. It is really important that he eat regularly and so we really had to let his needs dictate our schedule. Our flight was right at dinner time, so we needed to get everyone filled up, and while not ideal, the food court with the giant glass wall served to build the excitement as we watched the planes take off and land. Scott, the engineer in the group (you will hear more about this later!) was amazed at how efficiently and inexpensively they had created such a cool feature.
At the gate, just as we were about to exit to the loading area, the alarm went off with our kids and Dad on one side of the door and the two Moms on the other side. The gate attendant came running with her keys and yelling not to touch the door. Of course our boys are on the other side looking at us, yelling, “mommy” and about to touch the door. :scared1: We never had to find out what would have happened if they would have touched the door, as the key finally silenced the alarm, the door was able to be touched and we all proceeded down the stairs and onto the tarmac to load. We made it to our seats and found a spot for our luggage, the boys sat down and took out their DS Lite’s and started playing. All was well until another lady and her kids came and said we were in her seats. We both produced our tickets to show our assigned seats, and pushed the flight attendant call button to help sort things out. I noticed one of the girls had on a Disney shirt, so I asked them if they were going to Disneyland too. No, the Mom replied, they were going to Portland, and we were on the wrong plane! What the heck? How does that happen? :sad2: We quickly gathered our things and debarked, ran across the tarmac and were the last to be seated on our real plane.
Here the two boys are on the Airplane at last.
100_1151.jpg

The flight itself was just great and were able to take advantage of the complimentary beer and wine that Alaska airlines was serving.:cheer2:for Alaska. We even got refills! We only had to dig under the seats for dropped games and stylus' a few times, and we were landing at Long Beach before we knew it.
Nathan saw our ride and did this:

100_1152.jpg

The ride itself: Harold's Limo Service Great guy, car and excellent value.

100_1154.jpg

The Hogan's first limo ride ever:

100_1156.jpg

Coming up next: The quick change artist, arrival at Paradise Pier, and off to the TOT party we go!

Our plane landed at 5:50 and I had hoped to be at the Paradise Pier by 6:30 and checked in and off to the party in the blink of an eye. No such luck, as apparently there was a game of some sort and a couple of extra thousand cars on the freeways that we needed to utilize!
Well, what to do?? We were traveling like movie stars, so we sat back, drank some water and relaxed. Well, that's what the grown ups did. The boys pushed every button, and ate candy from the candy dish, including the sugar free candy that Harold had purchased just for us.
As we approached our destination, we threw out some pixie dust and the boys magically transformed into their TOT outfits:

100_1162.jpg

They were so cute, and loved the costumes and the weapons that went with them.

We eventually pulled up to the Paradise Pier, and I jumped out with instructions to Scott and Carrie to pay Harold, get the luggage and meet me inside. We were trying to get a jump start on registration and speed things along, but there was to be no speeding along on this night. I did get to the CM at the counter straight away, and there was no delay in finding my reservation, but it did take a while to do all the processing, and of course there were the birthday balloons to be prepared for our birthday boys, oh yes and the birthday buttons. We go two full sets. Jack and Nathan, and then Hook and Peter. It was so cute! The boys immedietly pinned on the buttons and were ready to go.
100_1170.jpg

100_1177.jpg

100_1175.jpg

They found Goofy, but were ready to trick or treat, not surf! Silly Goofy.
100_1167.jpg

So after registering, and straightening out the Limo payment, because I had told Scott and Carrie the wrong amount (so much going on and so many details to keep straight! Was it any wonder??), we were ready to go to our room and deposit the luggage, before going to the party. I asked where the luggage was and darn if they had not let it go with the bell hop. All well and good if you want to take time to wait for them, but we did not. Oh well, too late. Let’s get to our room and call them up. So off we went to the elevator to find about 12 people sitting there waiting. We also waited for about 5 minutes, and then I was like what is going on here??? One of the guys in line mentioned that they had been using the service elevators the day before. So I grabbed my crew and we headed to the bell hop desk and the service elevators. There was no one at the bell desk, but I could see the service elevator, so we went through the doors, and pushed the button. When the door opened the bell clerk was there, and so we pointed out our luggage and said could you bring that asap. He graciously agreed as he waived us off into the elevator with a few other guests that had come along. Apparently it was not too shocking for him to see guests in his back room. Finally we got to our room and it was just fine. Sort of a strange configuration as it was triangular in shape, but had the two queen beds and the fold out couch thingy.
This was waiting for us:
100_1187.jpg

I have to tell you, the Mickey Rice Crispies are a favorite of mine, but they are really high in carbs and there were so many treats that we never offered these to the kiddos, but Carrie and I split one several times, and by the last day they were all gone! Bad Mommies!
And this:
100_1191.jpg

That made for a festive arrival.
Our luggage arrived and we did shift things around a bit to get sweat shirts and stuff and then finally we were out the door and on our way to the trick or treat party.

We went out the front, crossed the street and went through the Grand California. Sure wish the back door would have been open! But we went through Down Town Disney, and through the baggage check and eventually through the turnstile with little event, other than I had my first realization of how difficult it was to move through a crowd with 4 people, including two 6 year olds following you.

We got our trick or treat bags and given that it was now 7:30 or so , the crowds were fairly thick, especially right at Sunshine Plaza when you come in. I really don’t have very many pictures! I am just not that great at taking night shots. I did take more pictures in the daytime and on a different trip, so I will post everything I have, regardless of when I took them.
We wove our way past Sunshine Plaza, all decorated with Candy Corn and with a DJ, having a dance party with different characters, and into Hollywood Backlot. I remembered the Trick Or Treat trail there, and we wanted to hit that. The kids were having fun looking at all the costumes and when we approached the animation studios, the wicked queen from Snow White was in the picture area. Of course, our kids had no interest in seeing her. In fact Nathan won’t even watch the movie. It’s too scary!

I do not understand the logic of how they place this character meet and greet and the line. As you approach the area, it is like a street, so it is natural that people go to the right, but then you run into the meet and greet and the line, which is blocking the entrance to the Animation Studios, so your choice is to enter the exit and go over the rope once you are inside of the building, or to go down to the end of the street and get around the line for the character, or to cut across the line of people. Just very awkward and it could easily be routed differently. Rant aside, we actually ended up cutting through the line because my dear boy knew where we were going and did not pay attention to the manners that I have been trying to get into his head for the last 6 years. So I apologetically ended up following him, so as not to lose him. Once inside, we hit our first trick or treating. I have to say, the boys were not at all impressed with the craisins and the apples, not to mention how they felt about the carrots! But they got a lot of candy too, so they were okay. The CM’s all put in at least a few pieces in each bag and I felt like they put the same in our grown up bags as they did the kids. It was fun to go through the Animation Building when it was all closed. Sort of spooky, ya know?? We were in Beasts library with a family all dressed in Beauty and the Beast. They had Mrs. Potts, and little chip. The candle, the beast, Beauty of course, and the prince himself. The father too. They looked great! Wish I would have grabbed a picture.
Here is Nathan as we were exiting:

DSC_0001.jpg

We then wandered on down to the end of the street and I am sure we hit the bathroom at this point, as I always do when I get to the corner of Sunset and Hollywood. It was then time for the Tower of Terror. I love this ride, and my husband and I always lament that our kids don’t like it as much as we do. They go on it like once a trip and after that prefer to skip it. We would go on it over and over. So, I always think everyone else will like it too. I took the time to explain what it was like, so everyone would know what to expect. Then we got in line. We made it through the theming, and the film no problem. We got on the elevator and lucked into the first row. This was the result:
100_1179-1.jpg

Scott and I loved it! Nathan was his usual self. I think Carrie and Jack may still be recovering. I felt really bad because I did not realize how terrified Carrie was of heights and drops and whatnot. It sort of effected her willingness to try some of the other rides on this trip. My warning: Don’t make this a first ride for any newbies!!
I do love that picture though! (he he)

We then headed over to Monsters Incorporated, where Scott proceeded to take flash pictures on the dark ride! The cars are so far apart that I don’t think it really bothered anyone, and it is a really cool ride. Actually, when all was said and done, Monsters Inc was Jacks favorite ride of all.
DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0015-1.jpg

DSC_0021-1.jpg

The Door Room is just such an amazing display of Disney Imagineering.
Jack as we went through the ride:
DSC_0013.jpg

Nathan was not as impressed with the ride. He was itchin’ to go on Screamin’.
DSC_0020.jpg

Did you notice his button collections??
They had another party going on in this area, so we jumped in and danced with Mr. Incredible and Freezone. I have to say, he’s got nothing on my own Mr. Incredible, who was at home.

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0011-1-1.jpg

Jack was pretty much a deer in the headlights most of the trip. He took a ton of talking through, but then he was okay. Disney can be like that!
DSC_0010.jpg

We had a lot of moments like this with the two boys dressed as nemesis and holding weapons:

DSC_0028.jpg

I am pretty sure that this was while we waited in the hot dog line. My gosh, it was a solid 40 minutes to get a hotdog, but since there was limited options for gluten free food, we stuck it out. I think we finally got the hot dog, went around the corner and ended up eating at Condor Flats for all of the rest of us, including more gluten free. No pictures I am afraid! I do know that we all enjoyed the condiments bar and the bbq sauce. I bought a chicken nugget meal for Nathan and nothing else because he so seldom eats at Disney(which is a real problem because you all know what happens with kids and blood sugar levels and no eating!). As usual he ate 1 nugget and a few fries, and drank his milk and I finished off his meal and had an ice water. For some reason, I am really not that hungry when at Disney. I think it is because I am so dogged tired. I do prefer the snacks to the food, so maybe that’s it. I sure don’t ever lose any weight while I am there.
On Guard:
DSC_0025.jpg

We did not take time to go on Soarin' Over California. Not sure why? But we headed down to the Grizzly River Trick or Treat line, and scored Ghirardelli chocolates at the first stand. Woo Hoo! We headed on down the trail and Nathan and I were miles ahead for some reason, so we stopped and took the following picture.

Here is Nathan by one of the Big Mickey Ghosts near Grizzly River Rapids:
100_1183-1.jpg

As we were walking out to the Pier, I stopped and took this picture of the Mickey Wheel. It is hard to capture but it is really pretty with all the lights.
100_1184.jpg

We had walked past the pirates and past the princesses, which no one wanted to go on. We arrived at California Screamin' at last! Nathan was so excited. We quickly got in line, and Carrie passed on this one as she still had memories of Tower of Terror dancing in her head. I think that Scott road next to me and Jack and Nathan sat together, which I am not sure was the wisest move, but the boys just insisted. Anyhow, Scott and I absolutely loved it. Nathan loved it. Jack was not too sure.

At this point everyone was fairly tired. Nathan wanted to go on Screamin again, so we went off to do that repeat while Jack and Carrie and Scott hit the Titus Merry Go Round. That attraction is so beautiful! I was feeling a bit woozy after doing Screamin' again, but Nathan really wanted to go again. As there was no line, it seemed cruel to deny him:) Scott and Carry were looking at me like I was insane, but I let Nathan go again by himself. Woody and the Minute Men were out there on the pier and we tried so hard to get the boys to do a picture, but they just were having nothing of it. It was fun to watch the characters interact though. When Nathan got through with his ride, we headed off, supposedly to go to bed, but we walked past Toy Story Midway Mania, and Nathan and I looked at them with puppy dog eyes and said, "come on, one more" "please", "the lines are never this short". They caved in and we quickly jumped in line. I don't remember what our scores were, but everyone had a great time and it was a great way to end the night. I'm not sure, but we may have actually done it twice!
100_1186.jpg

100_1185.jpg

Well, by then it was 10:30 and the party was officially over. The boys were darn tired and threatened to sit down and die on the sidewalk because their feet hurt. Light weight Jack with his Dad on the trip did get a shoulder ride. Nathan probably would have from his Dad too, but his Dad would have had his back go out as Nathan is no lightweight! Hi Mom made him walk though. One highlight of the walk out of the park was running into the candy carts being pushed to the back of the park. Each one would stop and put loads of candy in our bags. We really cleaned up and all of us had overflowing bags in addition to a drawstring backpack as full as it could be.

Walking back through DownTown Disney was the longest trek ever. Nathan finally had to sit down and cool his feet and when I finally let him take off his shoes and socks, he revived enough to make it all the way back to the hotel. Thank goodness, because I truly did not know what I was going to do if that did not happen. Upon arrival back at the hotel the boys and Scott were asleep in record time. Carrie and I took a bit more time to put things in order before we finally sacked out too.

Happily the next morning was a scheduled sleep in day and no Magic Morning or agenda hardly at all.

Lovin' the TR so far, Tracey.:thumbsup2

I bet you about died when you found out you were on the wrong plane.

Can't wait for the next installment and to hear how the ToT party went, where you dined for the boys' b-day and if you hooked up with Molly. And all the rides of course!;)

Wrong plane? How can that happen?

Free wine and beer on Alaska? How can I MAKE that happen????

Oh the boys are so cute in their costumes.....

Lovin' the TR so far, Tracey.:thumbsup2

I bet you about died when you found out you were on the wrong plane.
QUOTE]
Hi Linda! Great to see you here.

Wrong plane? How can that happen?

Free wine and beer on Alaska? How can I MAKE that happen????

I know! And then they were astonished, and like going, "there was a sign". Well, I guess I missed it with schlepping my luggage down the stairs, trying to control two squirrelly boys, and recovering from the alarms going off trauma. I don't know what to say. It happened, and I'm actually a fairly bright girl, so obviously it was a problem with their system.:rotfl::rotfl:

Agkkk! Where is the rest of the report???? I want to know what happens!

Wrong plane!!??!! Can we say heart attack?

Sarah

Yes Tracey. We are all anxiously waiting.
We want the rest of the story - we are nosey and we care!:laughing:

Why hello Ladies! Glad to see you all still patiently hanging in there. I edited my post and added another section, so go have a look. Things have been hectic here, and I don't know when I will get done, but I am having fun reliving the trip this way. Thanks for reading:)

One of my favorite Halloween attractions; The Talking Scarecrow:

One of my favorite original costumes: She reminds me of how I might picture Max Rider, for those of you that have read that series of books. (she said she was the angel of death, which was a bit gruesome!)
100_1303.jpg

Peter Pan and Hook photo meet and greet in the Pirate Area (wharf):
100_1328-1.jpg

One of my favorite views:
100_1302.jpg

Grizzy River Rapid area:
100_1312.jpg

As we left the TOT party, DL was closed and I snuck over and took this snapshot with my little camera.

100_1374.jpg

100_1389.jpg

100_1358.jpg

100_1322.jpg

100_1310.jpg

100_1313.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter