Quadracep injury

mygirlsmm32

Earning My Ears
We have a scheduled trip coming up In April. It has been 5 years since we have been to Disney, so we have been really excited about the trip. My parents will be going with my DH and 2 DDs. My dad slipped on the ice a few weeks ago and had to have quadracep surgery. He has to keep his leg straight. Rescheduling this trip is not an option due to our schedules and my parents have already paid for their trip in full using Disney gift cards. My dad is able to walk, but must keep his leg straight. He will be renting an ECV to navigate the park easier. We know he will not be able to ride the roller coasters due to the size of the vehicles and the need to bend his knee. Will he be able to ride Toy Story Mania? Buzz Light Year, The Movie Ride, etc? Do the cast members ever let one person ride alone so he will be able to stretch his leg out? What can we expect?

I'm not sure how well your dad will be able to sit on an ECV if he's unable to bend his knee. Has he tried this with any of the ECVs at your local stores?

I'm wracking my brain trying to come up with ANY rides where there is sufficient leg room for a completely straight leg. The shows aren't a problem, since ECVs and w/c s spots have plenty of space. Maybe the very front row of the first train car and the front of the HC truck at KS. The Movie ride has a HC accessible vehicle with space in the front. I had knee replacement surgery a few months ago, and while I can bend it just fine, I was very conscious of the amount of leg room (or lack thereof) on each of the rides. Most were not exactly roomy. Your dad may have to find other things to do while the rest of you ride most of the rides.

I'm going to guess there are very few -- if any -- rides that he can do with his leg completely straight. Shows will be a little easier. As for an ECV, I read a recommendation once to get a 4-wheel ECV that has "fenders" over the front wheels, and then he can rest his foot on that. I'm not sure what brand/models to suggest, but you should mention the inability to bend his knee when arranging for the ECV rental to see what they can recommend.

You might check out the disABILITIES FAQ thread pinned near the top of this forum for information about ride/attraction accessibility.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you for your replies. My mom called about an ECV today and was told by the company she spoke to that it would not work. We will likely need to go with a wheelchair.

Your responses were not what I had hope for. It will be very disappointing for him if he cannot ride any rides. Do they ever let people ride the rides without seat belts on their own so he can stretch his leg to the side? I've looked at pictures of many ride vehicles and I can tell there is not much leg room at all, but if he sits diagonal would it work?

Thanks again for your time.

What about Soarin? He is strong enough to keep his leg straight for the 4 minutes. Will they let him?

I think he might be able to do most rides that you can take a wheelchair on. He can do Small World! (over and over and over again). Perhaps by the time you go, he will be able to bend his leg? It might help if he lets his surgeon know about the trip. He might be able to do something to get it into a bent position for healing in time.

They will not allow him to ride without restraints. That is a safety issue. If he can sit diagonally and still use the restraint, then maybe. He will have to keep his foot inside the ride vehicle as well.

What about Soarin? He is strong enough to keep his leg straight for the 4 minutes. Will they let him?

He can keep his leg straight out at Soarin if he wants. My kids always kick their legs up and down - no reason you can't leave them up (seems like that would hurt alot though?).

I have a bad knee, so often try to place my right leg straight. The boat rides are good - assuming his family isn't squished right next to him (Pirate, Jungle, IASW, Mexico), the dark rides like Pooh and Pan are easy to go straight legged, and Movie Ride. Figment - definitely; Spaceship Earth if he rides alone (not straight leg but not too bad). Skip 7DMT - I'm 5'6" and smaller build and my knee cries in its tight seating. All the movies (2 at Epcot where you sit at France and US; Hall of Presidents at MK); Carousel of Progress; People Mover; Mermaid dark ride at MK; Enchanted Tales with Belle.

YMMV if its a very crowded day and CMs are packing people in, but i do keep my right leg relatively straight (not totally straight) on many rides and attractions. And, I'm not talking perfectly straight leg out in front of me - its tilted down to the floor of the ride vehicle, but still mostly straight. Oh - and he can meet characters - that's all standing of course. HTH.

PS I ride Buzz, TSMM, BTMRR alone - and with my right leg mostly straight - because we are a party of 3. (7DMT will make me sit with a stranger - every time - but no other ride has.) If its a very busy day not sure they will let him ride alone unless he presents as just a party of 3. If not busy, just mention his surgery and that it would be a huge help if he could ride alone.

Basically he will need to relay on the rest of his group to squash over to give him room, if its a busy park day and they are packing the rides. I definitely recommend rope drop. Lower crowds = less packing in on rides, even the boats and dark rides.

OH - and he can do DS's favorites: Tiki room and country bear Jamboree! I even take my shoes off and put my leg on the bench in Jamboree.

Last edited:

Personally I would be so afraid that someone would run into and bump my outstretched leg that I would see what I could do to postpone the trip - apply the funds to a trip at a later time. But that is just me - I worry a lot...

Thank you for all your responses. I am glad to hear that he may be able to ride a few rides with his leg sideways if he can use his restraint. We will just have to play it by ear when we get there to see what he will actually be able to ride it sounds like. He is lucky because he can put weight on his leg, he just cannot bend it at this time until he has physical therapy.

Thank you again. I will update after our trip.

Thank you for all your help. We were in the world from 4/3-4/11. My dad was able to ride many rides solo so he could stretch his leg out. He managed most rides through the week. He was given permission to bend his leg 30 degrees prior to leaving. Due to this slight bending, he was able to get his leg on a scooter for the week. We had a great trip!

I'm so glad to hear everything went well for your Dad. Hope he continues with a full recovery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter