Purchasing HHI

dduncan6er

Earning My Ears
Im considering purchasing HHI points solely because they are significantly cheaper than all other resorts. We would likely visit the resort infrequently and would mostly use the points at the WDW resorts. We wouldn't be too picky as far as which resorts we stay at. Saratoga, OKW, and AKL would be more than ok, and I know these are usually available 7 months out. We're planning to rent points for our honeymoon so I'm subtracting what we would pay as a sunk cost. Does anyone think this would be a good idea or are the savings not worth it due to the risk that booking at 7 months may not be as easy in the future.

It's the Maintenance Fees that will cost you more at HHI, so take that into consideration. SSR you should be fine at 7 months, OKW, and AKL as well.

VB & HHI have the some of the highest MFs of any DVC resorts. You will spend more in MFs over the life of your contract than the monies spend to buy in.
Be sure you checkout the MFs of all the resorts before you make an offer.

You may think that you don't care where you stay at WDW but later you will regret your decision when you have trouble booking at your favorite resort.

You get what you pay for.

:earsboy: Bill

Im considering purchasing HHI points solely because they are significantly cheaper than all other resorts. We would likely visit the resort infrequently and would mostly use the points at the WDW resorts. We wouldn't be too picky as far as which resorts we stay at. Saratoga, OKW, and AKL would be more than ok, and I know these are usually available 7 months out. We're planning to rent points for our honeymoon so I'm subtracting what we would pay as a sunk cost. Does anyone think this would be a good idea or are the savings not worth it due to the risk that booking at 7 months may not be as easy in the future.
As noted, both will likely be more expensive than SSR long term plus you won't have an 11 month reservation window for WDW. And now SSR will have the standard view reservations options.

From someone that is buying a resale at HH all the above are correct. If you do the math and add the maintenance fees in per year (even without any increases) for the balance of the contract to the total price of the contract and then divide by how many years are left on the contract, SSR is cheaper than HH. We are adding on to our HH contract because that is where we want to stay.

We bought 125 HHI points in 3 small contracts. We got them on the cheap and DH is always saying we should have just gone all in on cheap HHI points (we also have 200 OKW and 80 BWV ... had 100 AKV but recently sold them). Yes, the annual dues are more but it will take several years to catch up with the savings and by then we will be more financially sound so :confused3. DH wanted to do Vero but those dues are even higher and we will go to HHI frequently and not Vero. We have been to HHI 3 times and we love it there. It is tough to book there during the warmer months so it's good to own..and that also makes renting them easy as well. We also bought the OKW for similar reasons, cheap buy in so we could get the most points. But we're not overly fond of OKW and have used those points at every east coast DVC resort at 7 months out (all but VGF and Poly because we haven't tried yet and might never)...so you will be able to get into WDW at 7 months. Just might need to be flexible with dates, room types and resort choice...might not get your top pick every time (you won't...but once in a while you might). Can also do split stays and use waitlisting or stalking the availability tracker to grab something up.

From someone that is buying a resale at HH all the above are correct. If you do the math and add the maintenance fees in per year (even without any increases) for the balance of the contract to the total price of the contract and then divide by how many years are left on the contract, SSR is cheaper than HH. We are adding on to our HH contract because that is where we want to stay.

And its a wonderful place to stay. And if you want to book there in the summer, you pretty much have to book during the ownership window. So for people who want to stay there over the Summer, the additional cost of dues is really worth it.

We bought 125 HHI points in 3 small contracts. We got them on the cheap and DH is always saying we should have just gone all in on cheap HHI points (we also have 200 OKW and 80 BWV ... had 100 AKV but recently sold them). Yes, the annual dues are more but it will take several years to catch up with the savings and by then we will be more financially sound so :confused3. DH wanted to do Vero but those dues are even higher and we will go to HHI frequently and not Vero. We have been to HHI 3 times and we love it there. It is tough to book there during the warmer months so it's good to own..and that also makes renting them easy as well. We also bought the OKW for similar reasons, cheap buy in so we could get the most points. But we're not overly fond of OKW and have used those points at every east coast DVC resort at 7 months out (all but VGF and Poly because we haven't tried yet and might never)...so you will be able to get into WDW at 7 months. Just might need to be flexible with dates, room types and resort choice...might not get your top pick every time (you won't...but once in a while you might). Can also do split stays and use waitlisting or stalking the availability tracker to grab something up.
This is my line of thinking as well.

We have just passed ROFR for HHI. We got our points for $60 (resale). From what I can see, that is about $28 less than the average SSR contract that has passed. We also own at SSR and OKW.
The maintenance fees for HHI are $1.34 per point higher at HHI than at SSR. SO... It will take 21 years to make up the difference. I know that ultimately, with the longer life of the contract... SSR is a better deal but for now we will take HHI and initially save the $28 x 150 pts = $4200 (that I don't have and would have to borrow). Without borrowing $$, we can buy 150 HHI points and use them at SSR or OKW and be very happy.
We have stayed in almost all of the other "higher demand" places and frankly, we like OKW and SSR just as much, and in some cases more than the other resorts.
We don't go at "high demand" times and we have never had a problem getting the resort we wanted except when we tried to get a Beach Cottage at VB and there are only 6 of those...lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!