Purchasing DVC - how many points???

I agree with the buying smaller contracts (and at multiple resorts if you like). Smaller contracts are easier to re-sell and go for a little bit more money...if you ever need/want to re-sell. I also like owning at multiple resorts for the 11 month booking advantage. We own OKW, HH and AKV. Since buying the original 200 OKW, we have added on in 25-100 point increments and wish our OKW was broken up too, but it works fine for us (MIL and FIL LOVE to stay at OKW in a 1BR and use our points).

I will tell you another thing that works for us...a sort of vacation pattern we fell into. We do every other year at WDW with AP/PAPs (bought with DVC discount) and do 2-3 shorter trips (hard for us to do longer than 4-6 days with kids' schedules and DH's work) in that year (we used TIW card for dining too). Then the alternate years we use our points for the DVC beach places...HH or VB (we prefer HH and will go there from now on). This year is a PAP year (5 day trip in Jan, 3 day sans kids trip in Oct and 5 day big family Xmas trip)...next year is HH. That way we save money, every other year, on park passes and flying from MD to FL (we can drive to HH).

I agree with the buying smaller contracts (and at multiple resorts if you like). Smaller contracts are easier to re-sell and go for a little bit more money...if you ever need/want to re-sell. I also like owning at multiple resorts for the 11 month booking advantage. We own OKW, HH and AKV. Since buying the original 200 OKW, we have added on in 25-100 point increments and wish our OKW was broken up too, but it works fine for us (MIL and FIL LOVE to stay at OKW in a 1BR and use our points).

I will tell you another thing that works for us...a sort of vacation pattern we fell into. We do every other year at WDW with AP/PAPs (bought with DVC discount) and do 2-3 shorter trips (hard for us to do longer than 4-6 days with kids' schedules and DH's work) in that year (we used TIW card for dining too). Then the alternate years we use our points for the DVC beach places...HH or VB (we prefer HH and will go there from now on). This year is a PAP year (5 day trip in Jan, 3 day sans kids trip in Oct and 5 day big family Xmas trip)...next year is HH. That way we save money, every other year, on park passes and flying from MD to FL (we can drive to HH).

Completely off topic but I'm also from Maryland and that's our plan too (alternating HH and WDW every year). Hopefully one day maybe a DisneyLand trip in there too.

Thanks again everyone! There's definitely a LOT to consider. I'm glad we're not in a rush and can take all the time we need to really figure this out!

Completely off topic but I'm also from Maryland and that's our plan too (alternating HH and WDW every year). Hopefully one day maybe a DisneyLand trip in there too.

Yeah...we wouldn't mind visiting DL or Aulani one day. Probably wait and do those when the kids are off at college and it will be just DH and I (2 airfares instead of 5).

Yeah...we wouldn't mind visiting DL or Aulani one day. Probably wait and do those when the kids are off at college and it will be just DH and I (2 airfares instead of 5).

I keep wanting to go on as many vacations as possible while the babies are free :)

So we've received the Fed Ex packet and read through all the DVC propaganda. I've perused the DVC boards. We're starting to get serious about purchasing. I know that your number of points depends on the amount of your investment.

My question is how many points do you get at say the minimum investment? And then how much more is the next level and how many points are allotted then? I just haven't found anywhere that explains this, and I'm not quite ready yet to call and ask. Thank you!
There is a lot of info about your situation we don't know to help us answer the question. You mentioned staying at the Poly so I'm assuming you have at least some Disney experience including in deluxe resorts. Assuming you are experienced enough with Disney to predict your future likely trips the next few years I'd say simply buy the number of points you think you'd use in a 2 BR at DVC resorts, less if you don't have several years of on site experience. I wouldn't buy any extra as a buffer in this situation though unless you expect your situation to change near term. Personally I'd suggest resale for the resorts available for a much reduced rate esp since those other options that you'd lose with buying resale actually add to your long term cost rather than reduce your vacation costs. Plus you'd have to buy more points to use for both than just for your DVC stays but a lot. I'd only buy GF if you plan to stay there most trips. Realize that the Poly should be selling in a few years so if that's an important location for you, you might want to hold out or buy a lot less and make due until it comes available.

There is a lot of info about your situation we don't know to help us answer the question. You mentioned staying at the Poly so I'm assuming you have at least some Disney experience including in deluxe resorts. Assuming you are experienced enough with Disney to predict your future likely trips the next few years I'd say simply buy the number of points you think you'd use in a 2 BR at DVC resorts, less if you don't have several years of on site experience. I wouldn't buy any extra as a buffer in this situation though unless you expect your situation to change near term. Personally I'd suggest resale for the resorts available for a much reduced rate esp since those other options that you'd lose with buying resale actually add to your long term cost rather than reduce your vacation costs. Plus you'd have to buy more points to use for both than just for your DVC stays but a lot. I'd only buy GF if you plan to stay there most trips. Realize that the Poly should be selling in a few years so if that's an important location for you, you might want to hold out or buy a lot less and make due until it comes available.

Great advice, thank you. We've taken 6 trips in the last 9 years - and have been going annually for the past 3 years. We've only stayed moderate and deluxe, with our deluxe experience being at Poly and WL. We'll actually be at the Poly in just under 4 weeks for an 8 day stay.

I know that DVC construction at the Poly is set to begin next year. Not sure if that's where we'd want to buy yet however. I know that we have no interest in GF. After some more research and from much of the advice, I'm starting to see the advantage of resale. We're also looking at renting points for our 2014 trip to get the DVC experience. Dh and I might even try a point rental for a trip without the kids (in addition to our regular trip with the kids.) Lots to consider!

Great advice, thank you. We've taken 6 trips in the last 9 years - and have been going annually for the past 3 years. We've only stayed moderate and deluxe, with our deluxe experience being at Poly and WL. We'll actually be at the Poly in just under 4 weeks for an 8 day stay.

I know that DVC construction at the Poly is set to begin next year. Not sure if that's where we'd want to buy yet however. I know that we have no interest in GF. After some more research and from much of the advice, I'm starting to see the advantage of resale. We're also looking at renting points for our 2014 trip to get the DVC experience. Dh and I might even try a point rental for a trip without the kids (in addition to our regular trip with the kids.) Lots to consider!
DVC is a different feel with less service, limited housekeeping so I think renting is a great idea. It'll give you time to save up if need be as well. Where are you leaning to as your main place to stay? If you simply want to be in a good option and save money, SSR tends to be the best value but OKW and AKV can be good as well. BWV for standard view reservations can overcome higher prices and shorter length of RTU for some.

DVC is a different feel with less service, limited housekeeping so I think renting is a great idea. It'll give you time to save up if need be as well. Where are you leaning to as your main place to stay? If you simply want to be in a good option and save money, SSR tends to be the best value but OKW and AKV can be good as well. BWV for standard view reservations can overcome higher prices and shorter length of RTU for some.

We're kind of leaning towards OKW, but AKV is a close 2nd. The thought of Poly DVC is awfully attractive too, but we'd obviously need to find out more about it once more details are made available. In any case, if we rent points, it'll likely be at OKW or AKV.

In no way rushing your purchase, but one thing that still makes me sick to this day is how much we spent on a couple of vacations right before we purchased.

We knew we were going to purchase. We had done our homework. BIL/SIL are DVC owners, so we knew how the system worked. I also learned a ton from the wonderful people on these boards, and I've learned a lot over the years since purchasing. :goodvibes Anyway...we stayed a couple of times at OKW and spent a chunk of money. Came home and purchased. Had I known then what I know now, I would have purchased, used points to book those vacations and put every penny I feel I wasted toward my purchase. I know...many people have done the same thing. It's how most of us came to the conclusion we wanted to buy. Still, it was a large chunk of money that I feel I just threw away. :headache:

Have fun researching, and best of luck with your decision! We purchased in 2007 and have never looked back. We'll be staying in VWL in two weeks and heading back down to OKW over Christmas for 10 days! :santa: We love every minute of it! :cloud9:

We're kind of leaning towards OKW, but AKV is a close 2nd. The thought of Poly DVC is awfully attractive too, but we'd obviously need to find out more about it once more details are made available. In any case, if we rent points, it'll likely be at OKW or AKV.
The Poly will be a high expense item for those who want to stay there most trips or want a specific trip there periodically. Of those 2 choices, it really depends on how you'll use it. If price is your main goal, SSR is still likely to be your cheapest long term purchase. OKW will have higher dues and the price difference doesn't make up for the shorter RTU normally. AKV will have higher dues still but gives you the value options, standard view, Savannah view and concierge as well as 3 BR options. If you do aim for OKW try to get an extended contract for around the same price as SSR. The number of points will also have some effect on your options. If you get to looking at upwards of 300 points or feel you'd want Poly but don't want to wait, you might consider 2 somewhat smaller purchases.

I've done a couple of long-weekend, last minute (which is within about five weeks to DVC-ers) and have been able to get points for CHEAP on the rental boards. Folks don't want them to expire so if you are flexible, a great way to see the properties you are interested in! Plus fun for you and DH! Good luck!

I've rented about four times now and finally think I should just BUY already so I don't have to do all this matching and begging! ha!

I've done a couple of long-weekend, last minute (which is within about five weeks to DVC-ers) and have been able to get points for CHEAP on the rental boards. Folks don't want them to expire so if you are flexible, a great way to see the properties you are interested in! Plus fun for you and DH! Good luck!

I've rented about four times now and finally think I should just BUY already so I don't have to do all this matching and begging! ha!

Good to know! Thanks!

Right now, your best bet is AKV via resale.

AKV resale prices are somewhat depressed since Disney is still actively selling there. AKV should be sold out within 12 months at which point prices should start to rise. In addition, Disney is not ROFR'ing at AKV right now. OKW is fraught with ROFR danger.

Once AKV is sold out, it will be more difficult to book there than at OKW.

AKV is located at a Deluxe Resort and feels like it. It really is one of WDW's best. Because of its layout, OKW reminds me more of a Moderate Resort.

AKV offers the best variety of rooms: Value, Standard, Savanna, and Concierge.

It might be a good time to sit back and wait till the fall or winter. Like most real estate, we are in peak buying season and prices are up. There might be a better selection of inventory in the fall and winter and at better prices.

Right now, your best bet is AKV via resale.

AKV resale prices are somewhat depressed since Disney is still actively selling there. AKV should be sold out within 12 months at which point prices should start to rise. In addition, Disney is not ROFR'ing at AKV right now. OKW is fraught with ROFR danger.

Once AKV is sold out, it will be more difficult to book there than at OKW.

AKV is located at a Deluxe Resort and feels like it. It really is one of WDW's best. Because of its layout, OKW reminds me more of a Moderate Resort.

AKV offers the best variety of rooms: Value, Standard, Savanna, and Concierge.

It might be a good time to sit back and wait till the fall or winter. Like most real estate, we are in peak buying season and prices are up. There might be a better selection of inventory in the fall and winter and at better prices.

Great suggestions. Thanks! As we're not in a rush, fall or winter would be just fine!

"Originally Posted by Nabas Once AKV is sold out, it will be more difficult to book there than at OKW."

I was wondering the same thing? I thought the larger resorts would be easier to book at 7 months based on the sheer number of rooms available.

The easiest resorts are always the largest resorts, that is SSR, AKV and OKV. Now AKV has some special rooms that are hard to get, but other than that, rooms at the resort are very easy to book at 7 months.

"Originally Posted by Nabas Once AKV is sold out, it will be more difficult to book there than at OKW."

I was wondering the same thing? I thought the larger resorts would be easier to book at 7 months based on the sheer number of rooms available.

I suspect that the thinking is that more AKV owners will create more competition for AKV rooms, but I don't want to put words in the poster's mouth, so I'm waiting for an explanation.

Of course, what we know about how inventory is made available for new construction timeshares negates this theory, which is why I asked for clarification.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter