Purchasing airline tix via the internet??

Jinnyboom

Mouseketeer
Have been researching various airlines in hopes of purchasing tickets soon....some of the "rules and restrictions" are difficult to understand.....

My question........"how do you receive the actual tickets once you've entered your credit card information"????

We aren't leaving until December....and really want to avoid having to travel to the airport prior to our departure date to pick up the tickets.....(looking closely at Airtran right now if that is of some help)........

A HUGE thanks for any input!!!!!

:confused:

You get an e-ticket itinerary & receipt that you screen print off. Most airlines are now charging extra for paper tickets. You really don't even need the e-ticket itinerary, all you do is show your ID and give them your flight # and they look it up in the computer and print a boarding pass on the day of departure.

We have booked tickets online many times and have never had a problem. I cannot be bothered with paper tickets anymore. I just carry a copy of the itinerary and confirmation just in case. I have never even been asked for a flight number...just photo ID.

After you enter your credit card info, you will get an e-mail confirmation. Not sure if all airlines do this but Delta sends us an e-ticket confirmation in the mail. I always call the airline a few days after I make the ressie just to make sure they are really there. :D

I just booked a flight w/ continental on line, and they sent me an e-ticket confirmation in the mail. They charged 10.00 extra per ticket for paper tickets, plus you wouldnt want to lose them. With the e-ticket, you don't have to worry about losing it. I will bring my confirmation to the airport (continental said that it is a good idea to have it w/ you). I think it is much easier (and cheaper) to book on line. I was a little nervous as we had paper tickets in the past, but I think this process is alot easier. Plus, w/ continental you can check your flights from your computer, change seats, ect...

With SWA you can print it out and also have the choice of having the ressie sent to you via snail mail or email.
Since 9/11 a lot of airlines want to see that reservation plus your photo ID. I know SWA does.

With Northwest you can change seats on line and print your boarding pass before you leave home! We just check our luggage at the curb walk through security and go right to our gate. On the return trip they have computers at the airport you can walk up to and have your boarding passes in a minute. It is great!

We fly 3-4 times per yr and always book on-line. You can't beat the convenience. And you always get the lowest prices over the internet. We always bring our e-ticket confirmation with us, but not once have they asked for it. We usually use the automated kiosk at the airports. All you do is swipe your credit card and answer a few questions(destination,luggage,etc) and it prints your boarding passes. We usually just fly Continental and US AIR, mainly to get FF miles. ;)

If you use e-tickets how do you pick seats.
We have 3 children and would want to sit with the younger ones.
Thanks

You select your seats or they assign them at the time of reservation, except for SWA which has no assigned seating. It will print out on your reservation.

We always bring our e-ticket confirmation with us, but not once have they asked for it.

We are asked each and every time, guess it depends on the airline and it sort of shows you need to check the specific airline's rules before you leave.

Originally posted by chrisd596
If you use e-tickets how do you pick seats.
We have 3 children and would want to sit with the younger ones.
Thanks

chrisd596,

When you purchase your e-tickets on the net it takes you step by step, through the process of choosing seats. You can choose them yourself or the airline wil pick them for you. They give you a diagram of the airplane and it shows all the empty seats left on your flight, you just choose what you want(isle,window,3 together,etc) You will be surprised how easy it is.;)

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We always bring our e-ticket confirmation with us, but not once have they asked for it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are asked each and every time, guess it depends on the airline and it sort of shows you need to check the specific airline's rules before you leave.

Gail,

We usually fly Continenetal, out of Cleveland, we use the automated kiosk to get our boarding passes, then proceed right to our gate with our carry-on luggage.At the security check point, they check our ID and boarding pass.Then before boarding our flight they check our ID and boarding passes again..

If you plan to skycap check your luggage or not check luggage at all, be sure to bring a print out with you. You have to have something that says you are on the plane to get past security. Depending on the airport, the skycaps may not be able to print out a boarding pass to get you past the security gates.

Good question...I got our air, through AirTran, for our upcoming November trip. I got a confirmation e-mail (that I asked for) and printed it out. I'm assuming that I take that to the ticket counter when we get to the airport (Philly) and we will get our seat assignments then? This is the first time that I've booked through the internet...I hope everything goes ok.

I keep forgetting there are still such things as paper tickets. Maybe you should too. Think of it as being like a hotel reservation (except of course you have already paid for it! :( )

Nick & Cindy,
Different airlines, different rules. :) SWA does not have those cute kiosks in all airports, yet. I would not be able to use them anyway, I use the skycap and he/she takes care of all those details, and I tip well for the service. :)

Jinnyboom-We also have 3 children, so I know how important it is to sit together. I wouldn't wait too long to book as the closer it gets the harder it will be to book 5 seats together. We booked in July for our Sept trip, and I took the last 5 seats together (there were others but only 2 or 3 together). I find it very easy to book online (I was nervous at first because I felt I had spent alot of money and had nothing in hand to show for it). But if the airline will send you the e-ticket conf or you can print it.

I book business travel for 3 business travellers on Expedia all the time and thought I'd throw my 2-cents in:

Eticket vs Paper: my travellers prefer etickets but occasionally the fare's restrictions will require a paper ticket and one will be issued (usually with an extra fee) and delivered via fedex. When they travel on etickets, the printout of the email confirmation has always been adequate for them, along with their ID, for the security checkpoints. The only other situation tha has "forced" an eticket is when one of my travellers was booking a ticket for someone else (charging it to his credit card) and that person was the only traveller - i.e. he was flying someone down to see him. In that circumstance some sites (but not all) will issue a paper ticket that is sent to the credit card billing address, as a fraud protection for the credit card holder (to prevent someone using your card to fly around the world :-)

Sitting together: When my travellers take a companion, I will request the seats together on the map of the plane that is shown to you as part of booking the ticket on-line. But I will usually call the airline, just to make sure. When you call in they can note in the records who is flying together so anyone making changes to seat assignments (which they will do sometimes for their frequent flyers with a lot of status) will realize that you need to be together.

I have booked close to 100 flights so far this year for my travellers on the internet and have never had a problem with the reservation - Hope this helps! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!