Pulling kids out of school.

I pulled my DD out for 5 days last year in Kinder and will be doing 5 days in 2nd grade. I have no problem doing that as she is only young once. I will of course ask the teacher for work etc. Memories at Disney for me are priceless.

SORRY Duplicate post= couldn't figure out how to delete it

I took my son out in K and 1st for vacations. The teachers didn't mind, they gave work in 1st and had him keep a vacation journal. I am already planning to go during the school year again in 2 years, as going to Disney in the summer proved to be a disaster with my family. My son will be in 6th, it will be a lot of work but he understands it's that or suck it up in the summer.

The principal is not ok with the kids being out for vacation. But last year we had to leave for a week to travel out of state as they took my MIL off life support and for her funeral. That was also unexcused. So after that I decided I don't care, if they don't respect having to be out over a death then I don't respect their no vacation policy.

The school really didn't consider the funeral unexcused. (Sorry for your loss) That is horrible and I agree with you. I won't respect their policy either.

Our kids are still young, one is in preschool, kindergarten, and 2nd. The elementary school they go to has made numerous comments that they don't like the kids missing school for vacations. However, we are going to take pull them from school for Disney this year. Mainly this is because Christmas break is REALLY short this year (only a week and a day) and we drive all the way to Florida from Minnesota and we just need more than a week for a real vacation. We haven't taken a big family vacation in several years and just feel strongly that we want to take one this year. They're only going to miss 4 days (the preschooler only misses 1 day) and they're so young, it's not like they're missing out on tests and homework.

We've already got a trip planned and we will pull my oldest from K next year for 5 days (Halloween week as well). Principal doesn't like it but they deal with it. It's a private school. I haven't told our preschool teacher yet that DD is missing 2 full weeks (10 school days) in 45 days. I'm sure they will be annoyed by that as well even though it's just preschool (same school).

When making your decision - basically know your school/district's policy and know your kids (and when they have big projects or tests).

This is the first (and only) year we are taking the kids out for a week. (Third and fifth grade)

Our district will consider them unexcused absences. But I am fine with that and I am fine with their grades slipping a little if they can't make up work. Our principal is very pro-family bonding so I know he won't have a problem with it. My friend who is a teacher at the school also encouraged me to do it. She said we won't regret it. Both kids are good students.

Have taken kids out for 1 week vacations many years. Dd is in grade 9 and she will miss 4 days this fall for vacation, but this is most likely the last year doing this.
Canadian schools do not have all the crazy rules that I read about in the US...thankfully!

When making your decision - basically know your school/district's policy and know your kids (and when they have big projects or tests).

That's really the be all and end all to these questions. Every district/school is different and what one family does in one place means nothing for what the OP should do. Know what the specific policy of your school/district is and decide then.

Yea... Kinda doesn't work that way here in VA... The principal has no bearing on district rules. We have absentee officers in the schools that don't answer to principals. Then school board downtown doing same. So it gets caught fairy quick...
But the funeral thing.. U bet I would have appealed! That's unreasonable!
I took my son out in K and 1st for vacations. The teachers didn't mind, they gave work in 1st and had him keep a vacation journal. I am already planning to go during the school year again in 2 years, as going to Disney in the summer proved to be a disaster with my family. My son will be in 6th, it will be a lot of work but he understands it's that or suck it up in the summer.

The principal is not ok with the kids being out for vacation. But last year we had to leave for a week to travel out of state as they took my MIL off life support and for her funeral. That was also unexcused. So after that I decided I don't care, if they don't respect having to be out over a death then I don't respect their no vacation policy.

Oh I appealed, they did change it but the damage was done in my head. They said there was an error or something, I used to work in the school and the secretary has to input it every day. I could see it being an error 1 day, but the whole week? And an error like that deserved more than an "oops, my bad", they could have started with an actual apology.

I'm glad u replied.. Today I was asked my my husband.. How is it most jobs are required to give funeral leave.. 5 days for immediate family 3 for extended... But schools don't. He was baffled to
Oh I appealed, they did change it but the damage was done in my head. They said there was an error or something, I used to work in the school and the secretary has to input it every day. I could see it being an error 1 day, but the whole week? And an error like that deserved more than an "oops, my bad", they could have started with an actual apology.

I pulled my kids out of school twice for Disney trips. The way I saw it is a family vacation was important to us. My husband worked 80 plus hours a week at the time and if we had a chance to get away we took it. I never had an issue with the school. I would let them know months ahead of time. The kids all had to write a trip journal and other than that the teachers said have a great time!! My kids were in pre K, 2nd and 4th grade the 1st time and K, 3rd and 5th the 2nd time. Once they got older we started going to WDW in July and spending a couple of weeks between WDW and relatives homes. Once the girls were cheering for Pop Warner we would go down in December for Nationals most years. (I would never spend a week there during Pop Warner week now lol)

I take mine out as well. I just talk to the teacher/principal at the beginning of the school year.

We are heading to florida from October 27 returning Nov 7. This means the kids will be missing at least 7 days as we have a pd day in there
Halloween is in there as well and figure they won't do much that day. Our kids are in grade 2 3 ans 7. Has anyone else pulled their kids out. We will not be just going to amusement parks but doing some other things around florida that I think the kids will learn from as well as the drive down. I am hoping the teachers give them some work and not pile it on when we return.
I would think long and hard about taking a 7th grader out for a full week.

We used to when my daughter was younger but once she hit 5th grade the make-up work was so horrible that we decided we wouldn't do it again. We do skip a Friday here and then but never any more than that. My daughter is in 7th grade now and no way would she want to miss a week. We've never had a problem with the school being against it. If your oldest is good with make-up work then I would say go for it; with mine there would be lots of whining and arguments when it was time to do the make-up work.

We went to WDW for a week in Feb 2016 and will be going again Feb 2017. Before that, it was every other year. DD is in 9th grade and DS is in 6th. Teachers and principals are notified well in advance and it has never been an issue.

Some classes give them assignments in advance, others let them catch up when they get back.

We live in Southwest Virginia and for the past several years have gotten a lot of snow/ice in February. One year when we were in Disney, our school missed 4 days out of the 5 we were gone due to snow.

Yea... Kinda doesn't work that way here in VA... The principal has no bearing on district rules. We have absentee officers in the schools that don't answer to principals. Then school board downtown doing same. So it gets caught fairy quick...
But the funeral thing.. U bet I would have appealed! That's unreasonable!
Same with SC. It comes down to state law and the principals don't get to make the call. I homeschool but used to be a teacher in the public schools. They wouldn't even count a sickness as an excused absence unless you had a doctors note. (I'm sure a funeral would count - though it's highly likely some proof of the funeral would be needed).

We are heading to florida from October 27 returning Nov 7. This means the kids will be missing at least 7 days as we have a pd day in there
Halloween is in there as well and figure they won't do much that day. Our kids are in grade 2 3 ans 7. Has anyone else pulled their kids out. We will not be just going to amusement parks but doing some other things around florida that I think the kids will learn from as well as the drive down. I am hoping the teachers give them some work and not pile it on when we return.
As stated, check your school's policy first. Some states have more wiggle room than others. Private schools get to make their own policies.

If your school is fine with it, then I highly doubt they will request that the teachers give the students work ahead of time. Some teachers still will - or give as much as they can. That is a long time for a teacher to be able to give all assignments. Often teachers prepare their lesson plans just a week in advance as so much changes. Even then, changed are often made. So, expect that at least the 7th grader will have a lot to make-up upon returning. Once the vacation is approved from the school, then have your 7th grader approach the teachers about getting work. He/she can mention it now and then should mention it a full week in advance. It's up to your child to request the work. (You can request it for the 2nd and 3rd graders though).

As for Halloween, it is usually a normal school day in middle school. Just as much gets done that day than any other day. That's even true in some elementary schools.

It must be different in canada we don't get fined or in trouble for taking the kid's out of school. We just had meet the teacher night and all the kids teachers were like have fun wish we could come.

We will pull our girls out of preschool and 2nd grade next October for our trip. We are willing to do that occasionally through grade school, but probably not after that time. We live in a district where it is common for parents to pull their kids out of school for vacation time, and the teachers will work with you on making up missed assignments.

As stated, check your school's policy first. Some states have more wiggle room than others. Private schools get to make their own policies.

If your school is fine with it, then I highly doubt they will request that the teachers give the students work ahead of time. Some teachers still will - or give as much as they can. That is a long time for a teacher to be able to give all assignments. Often teachers prepare their lesson plans just a week in advance as so much changes. Even then, changed are often made. So, expect that at least the 7th grader will have a lot to make-up upon returning. Once the vacation is approved from the school, then have your 7th grader approach the teachers about getting work. He/she can mention it now and then should mention it a full week in advance. It's up to your child to request the work. (You can request it for the 2nd and 3rd graders though).

As for Halloween, it is usually a normal school day in middle school. Just as much gets done that day than any other day. That's even true in some elementary schools.

We don't take out kids out, because it is against school policy and unexcused, but what I have gathered from teachers is this:

DON'T ask for work ahead of time. It makes extra work for the teacher. If the teacher gives you work ahead of time, or an assignment to while you are there he/she expects it to be done while you are there and handed in upon your return.

Make up work needs to be completed in a timely manner. Our school does a day for a day, so for each day you are absent you will have a day to complete the make up work. So if your child misses a week of school the week of their return they will be doing double the work. Their work for that week and the work for the week they missed.

It is your responsibility to catch your child up with the class. The teacher shouldn't be expected to take extra time to catch your child up.

Your child will miss a lot. There is so much more involved in teaching than just worksheets and quizzes.

If your child is in any way struggling, don't take them out of school.

I know on the DIS all kids are gifted and elite athletes and such, but I think that a 7th grader would really miss a lot missing a week of school. I have a 6th and 8th grader and I can't even imagine trying to deal with the amount of work they would have to complete upon return.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter