• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

PTR: Van Isle to DLR: Birthdays and Halloween 4-9 Oct 15 *Now with Photos!* Update 03/10/15

Canadian Harmony

DIS Veteran
Well, I couldn't come up with anything fancy for my title, so I'm staying with this until I can!

So a bit of background I guess... I live just north of Victoria, BC and I'm retired from the Canadian Navy. My husband (B) is still a serving member. Our two girls are going to school in Duncan and they are two years and two days apart in age (R - 10 and M - 8). I had quit to open a store but it didn't make it past year 2, so I'm now working again, picking up temporary jobs while still applying for a more permanent position anywhere. I don't like talking about finances, but suffice it to say that we're working on options and doing okay for the most part.

I've been to DL once around 2000/2001, but the rest of the family hasn't. We've always planned on taking the kids to DLR, but we've never had the money. Recently our oldest has been approved for a disability designation through CRA which increases my tax return, and I've successfully filed 3/5 claims with Vetran's Affairs (still working on the other two, with a redress on a third!), which has allowed us to pay off a bunch of stuff and put aside money for this trip. Part of the idea for this trip came from R's dance studio. It is planning a Dance at Disney thing for next February for dancers 10+, and after looking into it I realized it'd cost $4500 or so just to send her and me as a chaperone (including dance fees, costumes, etc, etc, etc), so I asked DH why not send all of us instead? For that price we could all stay on site and enjoy some perks. He agreed - we've always wanted to go and now is a great time for the girls to enjoy everything the park has to offer.

So I started investigating for next February. While the prices were awesome and all, we'd only have a long weekend and if R wasn't dancing but watching her friends do so, would that impact her having fun...? So then I checked out September to celebrate our 13th wedding anniversary. We'd never taken a honeymoon after all... Prices were a bit higher but still do-able. But the girls would miss the first week of school, which is pretty important to them both. I realized their birthdays were the first week of October (mine is the week after) and after checking out the days there, I ran it by DH. He said that was a good time, and really, celebrating your 11th and 9th birthdays at DLR?! How awesome would that be?! Add into that MHP for a night and we're setting the stage for a heckuva great time!

I have to keep the amount down, and I think I've managed to do okay so far for what we're getting. But there's always more to save without sacrificing quality, right? DH wants to be more involved with the planning (so far he's been at arm's length), and I've created a spreadsheet on Excel to keep track of amounts which really helps me as I'm quite visual. So far this is what I have done:

Travel: We booked our flights, hotel and transfers through my step-sister, a TA at Marlin Travel via Alaska Vacations. This got me Air Miles, and because it's on my Air Miles M/C, I get to double dip. We're flying out of Victoria to Seattle then to SNA with Alaskan Air. We're taking the DRE to and from and then staying at the PPH at concierge level. After discussing how we could save $1030 by staying at PVI instead, DH said that the money was more than worth it for the breakfasts, the charge-to-room capability, the EE and MMs and general experience. I realized too, that because our government is giving us some more childcare money in July (for kids over 6), the amount we will get actually covers that extra bit. So in a way, the kids are paying for our upgrades :p. The plan is to pay the trip off before mid-March so we can purchase MHP tickets and set up reservations once our 60 day window opens.

Tickets: Naturally my TA wanted us to get our tickets through her, but after lurking and stalking the boards, I have bought our 5 for the price of 4 PH tickets at Cheaptickets through Ebates (again, on the AM M/C). This way, we get to watch F! on the Sunday night(our arrival) if it's playing and I feel good about getting 6.8% back on the cost.

Timings: We're arriving on a Sunday afternoon and leaving early Friday morning. this gives us two full days at each park, enough time for rides and attractions, as well as a break between 1 and 3 (give or take) each day. The only thing I'm not crazy about is waiting around for the DRE each way, but with luck it won't be too bad. DH has never been so he'll probably want to check things out and none of us like crowds all that much (we can deal, but after a while it gets exhausting), so the break will be necessary.

Events: Seeing as how our first and third full days will be birthdays, and at some point there's going to be at least one MHP, I'm trying to pack in events and rides. R's birthday will be the Monday. Her birthday breakfast will be either at Mickey's or Minnie's (her decision) and I purchased that voucher at Orbitz through Ebates (3.75% back) and if the MHP is that afternoon/evening we're going to have a visit to the BBB prior to, so they're in costume. I'm going as Merida and can buy an inexpensive costume either at a thrift store or online (again, through Ebates) at Halloween Warehouse for under $40. The Wednesday is M's birthday, and her dinner will be at Ariel's Grotto - an early dinner/late supper sitting so we still get to see the princesses - and Ariel's her favourite so that works out great. We may end up doing A&E's B that day, but I need to check on our times. So far that's all I've come up with.

I have been playing around with Touring Plans to come up with optimal stuff to do on our days and it's been a big help. Once I have a more concrete idea as to what's happening with MHP, the 60th celebrations, and F!, then we can plan better. DH wants me to walk him through things this weekend so he gets an idea as to what's going to happen.

Food: I've already signed R up for a free sandwich with EoS and will be signing all of us up for coupons 2 weeks out. I tried the other place (the one that does TJ's and Naples and Uva) but it wants a US address so I gave up. If anyone knows the way to do this, I'd appreciate the tutorial! Only R's birthday breakfast will be a 'paid' breakfast, the rest will be free at the hotel. I have our lunch areas and snack places, as well as dinner (other than AG) plugged in as I've looked at the menus and I know what the family will and won't eat. I found coupons on Restaurant.com for HOB - $40 for $100 worth - so we're eating there first night. This will allow us to check out A&E'B for sometime that week. I'm hoping the dessert package will be available by then, so we can have dessert and see F! together.

Extras:
- I'm planning on getting some Disney GCs to hand out to each of us to use as souvenier money. I'm trying to figure out how to do this prior to arrival so I'm not travelling with a ton of money, but if it can't be done then I guess I'll have to suck it up.
- We'll also have $100 in cash per day to have for things like the Sillhouette Shop, fruit, etc.
- I'm going to make autograph books, based on some I've seen here, but with a few differences. As I do, I'll post the photos.
- I've downloaded and printed the pages from the Kid's and Adult's journals over at Mouseforless so I'm going to make up little books for that. I scrapbook, so these'll be great for that!
- I'm going to pre-purchase a PP+ before we go as well.
- Got great packing tips already!
- Trying to think of something to make us stand out a little to the CMs, without breaking the bank. Especially for Jedi Training!

I've been using Ebates, Air Miles, and Save-On-More Rewards cards to build up points. It's harder for AM now because Safeway is gone. I found that SoM has similar items in their catalogue. So, if I can't find what I want through Ebates, I go through Air Miles Shops and then Rewards to try to 'double dip' as often as possible.

I really appreciate the valuable resource this site has been for me so far!

Sounds like you have a great trip planned! I've always wanted to go to DL during the Halloween season. It'll be so great for you & your family! The weather in southern CA in October is really nice...probably still pool weather, so bring your bathing suits! I went to college in Santa Barbara and October was always my favorite month weather-wise.

Thank you! I'm really looking forward to it. We are hoping for still nice weather at that time so we can hit the pool every day. The girls want to know if PPH has a hot tub too.

Managed to give DH a run down of the basic plan and he seems okay with it. He said he wants monthly updates and to sit as a family to decide what to do. Little does he know... I want to do EVERYTHING! :rotfl:

I spent WAY more than I should have at Micheal's yesterday, but I was able to use a 40% of one thing and a 20% off the entire order coupons and saved about $75. I bought three smallish sketch books for me and the girls and I've been sketching each page with two or three things that reminds me of that specific character. Then I use the girls colouring crayons to colour in the things and those will be the autograph pages for the characters we meet. I'm doing mine right now, and will do DD8's afterward. She can colour them though ;) I'll take some photos and post those when I'm done. It's been a long time since I've been creative, so it's nice to get back to sketching and drawing again. The pages are perforated, so I can take them out of the book once signed and put into a scrap book after our trip (I'm big into scrapbooking).

Ebates has paid me back for one of our dining vouchers, but not the PH or the Premium Character dining voucher. I've sent in a trouble ticket on them both.

I am pretty sure that PPH has a hot tub. I expect that you'll be able to get some pool time each day.

Well, still waiting for the payback on the PH and Premium dining voucher from eBates. With luck I'll get it before the payout in May.

DD8 has seen photos of PPH and is quite excited. I'm showing them videos of the rides so they know what to expect. We have a while to go, so I'm trying to parcel out the information to keep their excitement high. I think DD8 has figured it out though - she knows we're going in October because her sister let it slip - and thinks it's for their birthdays. She's right, but I won't let her know that.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through my autograph book now, just about 5-10 more characters to go. I think some turned out better than others, and I'll probably add something here or there, but for the most part, they're turning out quite nicely!

The autograph books sound amazing. Just a thought - my cousin made her daughter a beautiful handmade autograph book and when they got to DLR...it rained! We call her the APM (Always Prepared Mom) and she had a backup autograph book that she had made online without much effort that they used instead for the autographs so the "good" one didn't get ruined. The autographs came out of the book and she added them into the original one somehow so it still came out great.

Just wanted to bring it up since you seem to have put in wonderful effort into your book :sunny:

Thank you! I'm going to cover the fronts with some scrapbook paper and names, and then cover them in what we call 'mac tac' (I have some from my army days). Hopefully that'll keep them relatively splotch-free. I don't know how I'd save the insides from the rain, but I'll probably pack a mini umbrella just in case. Thanks for the idea!

Oh, and once I figure out how to post photos here, I will.... I usually post photos on Facebook and link from there, but I'm not sure if I want to put them up on FB.

Here's our days as I have them planned for now. The Monday depends entirely on the MHP being that night. If it's not, then I'll switch as required:

Sunday
0630 Check in, bkfst, customs
0835 Alaskan Airways
0918 Grab a bite if time
1145 Lunch offered on plane
1425 Baggage claim
1530 Grayline DRE Bus (rtn)
1615 Check in, settle. Downtown Disney, bday buttons (or wait til tomorrow), PhotoPass. Exchange Ebates/Orbitz/Cheaptickets Vouchers at desk for Tickets and vouchers. Gift carts - purchase or p/u
1730 Dinner at House of Blues (Use food vouchers bought online)
1830 Wander around Disney - Dessert Package for F!

Still to do:
- Passport photos & passports. Photos will be at Costco, and I'll bring the kids for that on a weekend closer to March. I can then take all the paper work to Passport Canada downtown in March on the one day I'll have off that month, and get that started.
- Pay off flight and hotel. Then I can start talking to DVP directly.
- Gift cards. I want to put money on the four souvenir cards and one meal card. I'm debating on sending money with my friend who is going in March or waiting and seeing if this can be done prior to our arrival with a Vacation Planner, just in case our exchange rate improves.
- buy the food vouchers for HOB.
- Finish autograph books.
- Order & pay for Dessert Package for F!

Monday - DD10(11)'s Birthday!
0630 Up and breakfast in Lounge to tide us over til later.
0730 $100 - incidentals, g/c's, waters, bag w/cameras, etc. Birthday Button for DD11
0735 FP at Animation for A&E meet (1). Rest to Radiator Springs
0737 Radiator Springs Racers at DCA. (might be afternoon before rtn - if so, we'll see what we'll do)
0748 The Little Mermaid- Ariel's U/S Adventure
0803 Soarin' over California
0816 Animation Academy for Anna & Elsa meet & greet
0900 Birthday bkfst at Mickey's or Minnie's for DD11 (she decides)
1000 DL - first 1/2 of park.
1003 Star Tours FP (1), Rest to Finding Nemo
1006 Finding Nemo Sub Voyage
1043 Line up for Star Tours ride. Snack at Troubador Tavern
1104 Someone run to Space Mtn FP. Lineup for Buzz
1108 Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters ride
1125 Matterhorn Bobsleds
1154 Space Mountain Ride. Run over to Autopia FP booth
1214 Small World Ride
1240 Pixie Hollow
1304 Autopia Ride. Run up for RRCar Toon Spin FP (require a 1700 rtn time, otherwise wait til after lunch to pull)
1325 Off for pool break - On monorail! Free Sandwiches at EoS for all of us. Beignets at Ralph's for dessert
1515 BBBoutique at DL. Make reservations.
1600 Meet Princesses at Royal Hall & Explore Park
1645 The Royal Faire and Sleeping Beauty's Castle.
1700 Pre-Party in Toontown. Haunted Mansion Holiday, Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy if able.
1800 Dinner at French Market
1830 Mickey's Trick or Treat Halloween Party DL - Fireworks, Costume Pde, Villains
2200 Hotel and bed!

Still to Do:
- sign us up for EoS coupons to use (>30 days out)
- buy MHP tickets!
- make reservations for BBB and French Mkt for supper
- order birthday cake for French Market dinner

Tuesday
0700 Free bkfst in lounge
0745 $100 - incidentals, g/c's, waters, bag w/cameras, etc
0800 Early Entry - Maingate, go to New Orleans Square
0815 Haunted Mansion.
0830 Pirates of the Caribbean
0922 Go to DCA: Grizzly River Run. Pull FP for WOC & RSR FP
0937 Silly Symphony Swings - Tandem.
0945 Mickey's Fun Wheel - Swinging
1007 Games of the Boardwalk.
1011 Toy story Midway mania. Snacktime nearby
1053 King Triton's Carousel
1102 Mater's Junkyard Jamboree
1110 RSR, hang out through Carsland and head back to hotel
1230 Lunch at Flo's or TPG
1300 Downtime at the Hotel - swim, etc
1530 Jedi Training Academy show! (get RRCTS FP)
1600 Roger Rabit's Car Toon Spin
1632 Gadget's Go Coaster
1651 Mickey and Minnie's House (if lineups aren't too long)
1715 Dinner at Carnation Cafe. reserve
1805 Over to DCA for the WOC. Hang out and do stuff we missed
2100 Hotel and Bed!!

Stuff to Do:
- Make reservation at CCafe
- Double check on WoC timings

Wednesday - DD8(9)'s Birthday!
0700 Breakfast in Hotel Lounge
0745 $100 - incidentals, g/c's, waters, bag w/cameras, etc. Birthday button for DD9.
0800 Park open @ 0700, but to get in to see Olaf (if still there), get FP now
0805 Get Radiator Springs FP. World of Colour FP (1) @ GRR
0827 Princess Dot Puddle Park (may be too early?)
0851 Tough to Be a Bug!
0900 Chew Chew Train.
0910 Ladybug Boogie
0915 Drive 'em Buggies
0920 Monsters Inc - Mike & Sulley
1000 Snack time
1100 Radiator Springs Ride
1110 Character Close-Up
1130 Lunch at Lucky Fortune
1225 Aladdin - Musical Spectacular (1240-1320)
1330 Break at hotel - lunch & swim
1500 Anna & Elsa Boutique in Downtown Disney (CTR)
1515 Disney Jr Live On Stage Show?
1545 Frozen Sing-along & Olaf Meet & Greet IF it's there. If not, adapt!
1700 Ariel's Grotto - Birthday Dinner w/cake
1740 Sorcerer's Workshop
1815 Animation Academy
1855 Turtle Talk with Crush
1920 Mad T Party Dance & Happiest Haunts Tour. Snack?
2015 World of Colour show
2100 Bed

Stuff to Do:
- Double check to see what's going on this night. Could be a 60th Anniversary Parade instead of WoC.
- Reserve for A&E Boutique >30 days out.
- Reserve AG dinner (lunch) >30 days out.
- Order Bday cake for AG's lunch/dinner
- Double check on Sing Along/Olaf, HHT, etc

Thursday
0700 Breakfast in the club
0745 $100 - incidentals, g/c's, waters, bag w/cameras, etc.
0800 Early Entry. Train to Frontierland or walk
0810 Big Thunder Mtn RR FP
0840 Big Thunder Ranch
0900 BTMRR ride.
0920 Get Splash Mtn FP.
0921 Frontierland Shootin' Exposition
0945 Sailing Ship Columbia.
1005 Mark Twain Riverboat. Snack at Stagedoor or Bengal
1100 Splash Mtn Ride
1123 Indy FP
1129 Pooh Bear ride.
1139 Davy Crockett Canoes
1203 Indy ride
1236 Jungle Cruise
1300 Tarzan's Treehouse
1330 Lunch at Zocalo then hotel for downtime
1500 Tiki Room
1505 Storybook Land Canal Boats.
1515 King Arthur Carrousel
1550 Peter Pan's Flight.
1610 Mr Toad's Wild Ride
1630 Snow White's Scary Adventures
1645 Hang around and catch all the rides we didn't get to, soak up our last afternoon. Sillhouettes, Characatures, etc.
1815 Plaza Inn - buffet style. No reservations
2045 F! @ 2100? Then hotel for checkout, pack and bed! Up early the next day.

Stuff to Do:
- Double check what's going on for evening entertainment.
- Make sure we're at Plaza Inn at a good time for dinner.
- Ensure an early check out is possible. Otherwise find out if a 0700 check-out is okay.

That's what I have so far.

I just noticed that the French Market may not be open on the MHP night, so I've switched it with the Carnation Cafe night.

I got my Passport Photos done at Costco yesterday: $6.99 plus tax. My doctor signed the back and told me it wasn't fair. I asked what wasn't. She said how I looked great in my photo. What a sweetie.

Some money just came in and I will be paying off the travel portion of the trip with it today! Then I moved some more money over to an account I can't access other than online and that's the 'cash' portion - things like meals, gift cards, souvies, etc. I'm waiting for a better exchange rate before I switch it over to USD. Any money we save up between now and then is extra spending and emergency money! *whew* What a weight off my shoulders this is! I also put some funds onto the credit card to pre-pay the PP+, vouchers for HOB, and have the funds available for the MHP tickets in July and F! Dessert package in August (reservations).

The girls will come with me today when I pay off the flight and hotel charges. What we're actually doing is having the travel agency hold the funds on account so that when the exchange rate goes down (hopehopehope), I won't be paying an extra 25% for the trip. The last day to pay is September, so with luck the rate will improve between now and then.

I want to change the title but I can't figure out how :(

Anyway, I just got off the chat with a CM and she said that gift cards purchased on line should work in the US, but I was told they won't because of exchange. She said I need to purchase at the resort, but sheesh... I don't want to put more on the credit card and then deal with their exchange and I don't want to carry that much cash down on the flight to exchange when I get there. GAH!! I guess there's no way around it...

FINALLY downloaded a ton of photos to photobucket so I can play along. Here are the main players. Our Christmas photo (let me know if you can see it or not):

10420779_10154877520920612_2174703673159182591_n.jpg

The guy is my husband. He's a little on the interwebz-shy type so we'll call him B (how mysterious!). Yes, he's smiling.
The beautiful woman beside him is me (ha) and now I have brown hair again. I was blonde to hide the grey for longer, but the kids wanted me to go brunette again so I did.
The kid smiling like a goofball is R. She's 10, going to be 11 on the first full day of parks. She has a few things going on that she needs help with (anxiety, ADHD, stuff like that) but she's so friggin' excited to be going to DLP I think she's going to jump out of her skin.
The one glaring at the camera like shes firestarter or something is M. She's 8 and stubborn like her grandpa was. For the most part, she's very excited too, but she reminds me VERY much of the seagulls in Nemo because everything is hers, hers, hers, or about her, her, her. God love her, she's a sweetie though and has been trying to get our departure date out of me since I told her we were going.

Well, that's us. I'm still planning and tweaking the trip. DH has decided to weigh in on aspects, but he usually allows me to do the research and then has me tell him about it.

Here are some of the autograph pages I've completed so far. I have added horses to some of them and will replace them in my album. Anyway, play along and see if you can tell who I had in mind when I did the drawings. It sure was fun colouring them too!

546FCF42-EE88-433F-ADFF-D50B2CF568D1.jpg
Facilier

3871438F-9EC2-44EB-AE11-F9B3EA5C1F27.jpg
Eeyore

B526A18C-37D1-402F-BC6A-14BB4F06A0D0.jpg
Tigger

595738F6-4BFD-4E69-AF38-C8D5460A95F0.jpg
Pluto

0D26FAAD-CA29-4BFA-B8AC-740E7303C602.jpg
Woody

50A15B06-6456-4642-8A95-923705B49E3A.jpg
Evil Queen

EAB807E3-8CAF-4590-A564-4198767D272B.jpg
Mike (still looking for something more for him)

3AA20429-D554-4643-9DC7-70831B472E57.jpg
Rabbit

4E977B8B-5970-4B6F-B855-0EAC9F0C1F76.jpg
Maleficent

FDB0904E-BC85-438E-B620-9B579DFAFB7B.jpg
Buzz

88990B2F-85DF-4B37-B86C-48C8D7149866.jpg
Sully

2755BA77-0E9F-4B3D-8F22-A7A5F9BEB734.jpg
Goofy

BF5DD0E2-F4A7-476C-8469-096FB825ED35.jpg
Pooh

I have a few more that haven't uploaded yet and/or that I need to up date due to horses being added (I'm a big horse fan). I'll do that in future posts.

What I like about this book is that the pages can be ripped out and placed into scrapbooks for saving for after. I'm having a lot of fun doing this! I'm currently on the Mad Hatter.

More!
547F5004-8A0E-403A-BF9B-70D0F447F33C.jpg
Incredibles

49102CD5-EF03-41B9-B58F-78AEF2AAB50E.jpg
Oswald

75016F31-C9F2-4779-BB01-BE0F1AB0C8CA.jpg
Donald

44EC92C3-3D1B-4B6D-9069-600D04CA2C9B.jpg
Daisy

1A8F379C-47D2-4A2C-B431-03CB78032E8D.jpg
Cruella

57EABA3D-0A3E-454B-9E65-C2F927E80277.jpg
Red Queen

BF56B697-5DB7-4B15-ADF6-1B60D0C52237.jpg
Alice

AAE8B6A5-9AD8-4E70-99F6-32AB594EDA4E.jpg
Frozone

19C11337-5FE3-43CB-8441-012C39BE5009.jpg
Olaf

47D33187-4A62-4497-B4F1-8C12815F310C.jpg
Elsa

BE45D342-B2A5-485D-8662-5256088BD66F.jpg
Anna

5CC4ADBA-FF9B-4B28-98F3-E613C74C06F5.jpg
Captain Hook

00237244-F070-4E1C-87EB-E9210CB23846.jpg
Wendy

053D0CBC-A454-4158-B054-488253AC155B.jpg
Fairies

920B15F3-28E1-4116-8E6B-DC056BF60CCD.jpg
Peter Pan

9735E9EC-338B-474E-A148-D7396162D4BE.jpg
Tinkerbell

E1865E25-F5B0-4DFB-888F-77B2F8AC1538.jpg
Tianna

6A5C0A67-CD04-4166-B28C-03E54501B35E.jpg
Minnie

08FB663C-DE44-4591-BFC5-080277983736.jpg
Thor

356E2233-92E2-4934-A1C4-6CEA39A46F90.jpg
Captain America

717D5A7E-EC74-47A6-86FF-A4D630E4D498.jpg
The Beast

CFC88FB4-E045-4FF0-90B7-636CD26FB8E8.jpg
Flynn Ryder

281AD382-37CE-4559-B9E1-DBC56E6099E6.jpg
Baloo (still looking for something to add here too)

F5365EE7-1471-4B64-8816-94B62F5E815F.jpg
Dale

1F841370-8FA4-46CA-AF06-2A0AD7F62917.jpg
Chip

3212F18C-1071-40AA-8616-60C56779EAB4.jpg
Ariel

D4B31257-FD24-47CC-8BAD-EFE272878CC9.jpg
Jack and Sally

3888CDA3-2FF1-4706-BD04-B0B41829AFAE.jpg
Jessie

70FF056E-86F5-4F84-96E1-E9F9AB784B2F.jpg
Bert

A045582A-4428-48FE-B91E-1970B800A9A3.jpg
Mary Poppins

6F22BF76-D0B3-49B9-A211-66C8108D3B07.jpg
Cinderella

6B0C65C1-AE53-431A-8242-7F3D13769664.jpg
Merida

2DE6F54D-F0E8-49BF-B5DD-D6125E549A03.jpg
Belle

B28D588B-C086-49B9-8706-93D2FFA4073D.jpg
Aurora

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter