PTR Sea Lions and Dragons and Minions! Oh, My!

Welcome Home

Hogwarts is my favorite castle
First off, a confession. I don’t actually know what a Minion is. Watching the movie is on my indoctrination to do list.

Secondly, despite many vacations in Orlando I have never been to Universal. Also I have never done a trip report so it will probably be terribly uninteresting. Sorry. But these trip reports have helped me so much over the years that I want to at least attempt one to give back some to the great Dis community. Plus I am more excited about this vacation than I have been in years and I want to share with others who get it.

Hi. I am Corrine but you can call me Cory. I am a 38 year old stay at home, homeschooling mom to three boys. In 2001 I read my first Harry Potter book and fell instantly in love. My favorite hobby is research and planning of anything but most especially vacations. Until this year that was channeled into highly structured and planned trips to Disney. Joining me on this trip are my DH Ian, and our 3 sons.

Ian is 39 and travels often for work. He enjoys the rides with the kids but is most looking forward to some quiet down time. Ben is 13 and has grown more every time I look at him. He is almost more interested in the food aspects of the vacation than the rides. His top request for this trip is a day at Discovery Cove. That surprised us as Ben went there when he was 2. Ben literally screamed for 2 hours about having to wear a life vest. We begged, pleaded, threatened, and distracted. We tried every parenting trick in the book. As a result Ian still looks a little twitchy whenever we discuss the Discovery Cove day. Matt, aka Mr Man, is almost 9. He is a social butterfly and is excited about all new experiences, except those involving real food. Matt goes a mile a minute with non-stop energy but somehow does not eat. Desserts are a whole other story and he has several already picked out on his must do list. Our youngest is Nick, the Baby Bear. He growls…often. The Baby Bear is 2 but will turn 3 by the trip. His current favorites are Paw Patrol and Curious George. I do have concerns about how much he will be able to do as he is around 38”.

We will leave for Orlando On Monday 27th or Tuesday the 28th of April. We are staying 7 or 8 nights. The uncertainty comes in the fact that we are flying stand-by. Flying free is great. The downside is you have to be flexible. Parks we plan to visit are US/IOA, Sea World, Discovery Cove, and Aquatica. In the PTR I plan to go over accommodations, restaurant dilemmas, park plans, maybe some fun Harry Potter inspired clothing choices, and any other issues that pop up during planning. I can also discuss why we cancelled our WDW trip for Universal if anyone is interested. Join me?

The hotel took us several weeks to pick. Initially we decided on PBH. The photos of the resort are lovely and it looks so serene. The Roman ruins at the pool even tie into our current homeschool history. And what is there not to love about Italian food. We had a deluxe room booked at the Beach Club at WDW so that is where we started our search. However, DH wasn’t really satisfied with that plan. He spends almost half his life in hotels. Sleeping 3 feet from the kids, one of which is a 5’9” man-child, didn’t sound very “magical” to Ian. So we started comparing the pro and cons of two rooms versus a suite, a choice we simply didn’t have at WDW due to cost. In the end we decided a kid suite sounded like the best option. However, I found the minion kid suite to just be a little too loud. It lost all the serenity. We started looking at the other hotels and decided that by and far that Hard Rock had the best kid suite layout. But I had immediately removed HRH from our choices. It just didn’t seen to fit into the relaxing vibe we are seeking. I spend hours combing over reviews and trip reports here and in the end decided the kids would love it. Now I couldn’t be more excited. :yay::yay::yay:

In the end we booked the HRH kid suite on club level.

Tuesday: Arrive? US/IOA
Wednesday: Sea World
Thursday: US/IOA
Friday: Pool day with a cabana
Saturday: Discovery Cove
Sunday: US/IOA
Monday: Aquatica
Tuesday: Leave for home

Thoughts or suggestions? I have heard Fridays are really busy at US and Sea World on Fridays that time of year. I also assume Aquatica will be busier on the weekend.

On my definite list:
Mythos
Leaky Cauldron
Red Oven Pizza
Margaritaville
The Kitchen

Maybe:
Antijitos
Confisco
Hot Dog Hall of Fame
Three Broomsticks

Dilemma:
Cow Fish versus Orchid at RPH
Vivo versus Mama Della’s at PBH

Has anyone eaten at both and have a preference? My main concern with Cow Fish is the reviews of slow service.

Am I missing a favorite?

I'm in! :)

Very cool that we will be there at the same time....here's to some great weather for both of us!!

lol, you will fall in love with the Minions once you watch Despicable Me. Its a great movie.

Sounds like you have an awesome, action-packed itinerary lined up. The SeaWorld parks are all fantastic as well (some of our favourites in Orlando). Since you offered, I would definitely be interested in hearing about why you decided to cancel Disney for Universal & SeaWorld....do share the gory details ::yes:: .

Ian and I each went to WDW once as a child but our love of Disney started a little over 10 years ago. We were DINKS (dual income, no kids) longer than we planned or wanted to be. The upside was we took some nice vacations and ate at some fabulous restaurants. Once we finally became parents we missed it. In 2004 we were living in Florida and the theme park industry was really hurting from the recession and 9/11. Discovery Cove and WDW were offering incredible discounts for FL residents. We decided to go down for a long weekend and visit Discovery Cove, Sea World, and Animal Kingdom and stay at Wilderness Lodge. Instantly we were hooked with Wilderness Lodge and the Disney experience. We bought DVC on the spot (we sold it in 2008). We could stay in a lovely hotel and eat incredible food while vacationing with a toddler. We sung Disney praises and encouraged everyone we knew to go. On average we went about once a year for a week at a time.

In September 2012 we went back for our last weeklong trip. We were now a family of 5. I planned endlessly for months. Despite being a veteran I followed all of easywdw’s advice to make sure we were at the right park each day. Hours were spent analyzing the reviews on the food board to select the current best restaurants. We had an amazing room at a 40% discount. It was a deluxe room at Beach Club on the 1st floor. We could walk out the patio door and go straight to the hot tub. We also had club level access. I knew how to work the FP system and we were FP+ testers on top of it. It should have been magical. It should have been an amazing trip. We all left sort of let down. It wasn’t special. The club level had substantially gone down hill. The restaurants weren’t anything to write home about and no meal was particularly memorable. Ian and I often order one appetizer, entrée and dessert and share but tip appropriately for two diners. We got some nasty attitudes about it. CM’s were grumpy in general. Their can do spirit seemed to be gone. But we thought maybe it was just us. We had an infant with us after all. Maybe it was because it was Free Dining time. Whatever it was it couldn’t be that Disney was different right? I mean we happily drank the koolaid with an extra wide straw that we purchased with our Disney Chase credit card.

Fast forward to this past August. We started planning what I hoped would be a wonderful trip to Disney in May 15. Squeal. I started all the dining planning but couldn’t get anyone in the family overly excited. The kids wanted fried calamari from Flying Fish and a turkey leg. That was it. Whatever. It will be still be outstanding. Right? When it came time to decide on restaurants DH got very apprehensive about the cancellation policy. He was not willing to pay $50 to cancel a reservation on short notice on vacation. Traveling with kids things happen. They don’t always follow the schedule you make 6 months beforehand. Fine. No problem. There is more availability with the policy change. But reading the reviews I couldn’t find anything that I just had to have a reservation for anyway. Report after report from the old timers and regulars talked about declining quality. The menus didn’t have anything special but the prices had risen dramatically.

Well then we started learning more about the ends and outs of the new FP+. Following Josh on easywdw we saw that even in the off season secondary attractions were getting much longer waits. My kids were used to being able to ride things 5 or 6 times in a row if they wanted. Ian has a very stressful, time sensitive job. The entire day he is carefully following a schedule, watching every minute. He said that was the last thing he wanted to do on vacation. He didn’t want his whole day planned and dictated, no flexibility. Our other issue with MM+ was the necessity of being on our phones all the time. One of the things we have always loved the most was the Disney bubble, leaving the outside world behind for a week. Ian doesn’t have the willpower to not check work email if he has to do something else on the phone. But more important than the scheduling was that the kids just weren’t excited about the rides. There is only one ride they haven’t ridden and several things are gone. One new kiddie coaster and I would need to stay up late 60 days before hand to make a reservation to ride it once.

The final issue was the resort reservation. With the kids getting bigger we really didn’t want to share a room with them and we didn’t want them to share a bed. However, at Disney prices we couldn’t afford two rooms or a suite. At a deluxe, two rooms are now over $800 a night even with the 40% discount. Suites were even more. Also we were going to move during the trip just to avoid the Disney buses. We hate the buses! The plan was to spend 4 nights at Beach Club and 3 at Grand Floridian. Packing up and transferring mid trip didn’t seem like a very relaxing solution to the transportation issue. So when we realized we could get a suite club level for about the same price we were paying for a standard room the decision was quick and unanimous. Throw in tons of new attractions, Harry Potter, and cheaper dining? Sign me up!

Ian and I each went to WDW once as a child but our love of Disney started a little over 10 years ago. We were DINKS (dual income, no kids) longer than we planned or wanted to be. The upside was we took some nice vacations and ate at some fabulous restaurants. Once we finally became parents we missed it. In 2004 we were living in Florida and the theme park industry was really hurting from the recession and 9/11. Discovery Cove and WDW were offering incredible discounts for FL residents. We decided to go down for a long weekend and visit Discovery Cove, Sea World, and Animal Kingdom and stay at Wilderness Lodge. Instantly we were hooked with Wilderness Lodge and the Disney experience. We bought DVC on the spot (we sold it in 2008). We could stay in a lovely hotel and eat incredible food while vacationing with a toddler. We sung Disney praises and encouraged everyone we knew to go. On average we went about once a year for a week at a time.

In September 2012 we went back for our last weeklong trip. We were now a family of 5. I planned endlessly for months. Despite being a veteran I followed all of easywdw’s advice to make sure we were at the right park each day. Hours were spent analyzing the reviews on the food board to select the current best restaurants. We had an amazing room at a 40% discount. It was a deluxe room at Beach Club on the 1st floor. We could walk out the patio door and go straight to the hot tub. We also had club level access. I knew how to work the FP system and we were FP+ testers on top of it. It should have been magical. It should have been an amazing trip. We all left sort of let down. It wasn’t special. The club level had substantially gone down hill. The restaurants weren’t anything to write home about and no meal was particularly memorable. Ian and I often order one appetizer, entrée and dessert and share but tip appropriately for two diners. We got some nasty attitudes about it. CM’s were grumpy in general. Their can do spirit seemed to be gone. But we thought maybe it was just us. We had an infant with us after all. Maybe it was because it was Free Dining time. Whatever it was it couldn’t be that Disney was different right? I mean we happily drank the koolaid with an extra wide straw that we purchased with our Disney Chase credit card.

Fast forward to this past August. We started planning what I hoped would be a wonderful trip to Disney in May 15. Squeal. I started all the dining planning but couldn’t get anyone in the family overly excited. The kids wanted fried calamari from Flying Fish and a turkey leg. That was it. Whatever. It will be still be outstanding. Right? When it came time to decide on restaurants DH got very apprehensive about the cancellation policy. He was not willing to pay $50 to cancel a reservation on short notice on vacation. Traveling with kids things happen. They don’t always follow the schedule you make 6 months beforehand. Fine. No problem. There is more availability with the policy change. But reading the reviews I couldn’t find anything that I just had to have a reservation for anyway. Report after report from the old timers and regulars talked about declining quality. The menus didn’t have anything special but the prices had risen dramatically.

Well then we started learning more about the ends and outs of the new FP+. Following Josh on easywdw we saw that even in the off season secondary attractions were getting much longer waits. My kids were used to being able to ride things 5 or 6 times in a row if they wanted. Ian has a very stressful, time sensitive job. The entire day he is carefully following a schedule, watching every minute. He said that was the last thing he wanted to do on vacation. He didn’t want his whole day planned and dictated, no flexibility. Our other issue with MM+ was the necessity of being on our phones all the time. One of the things we have always loved the most was the Disney bubble, leaving the outside world behind for a week. Ian doesn’t have the willpower to not check work email if he has to do something else on the phone. But more important than the scheduling was that the kids just weren’t excited about the rides. There is only one ride they haven’t ridden and several things are gone. One new kiddie coaster and I would need to stay up late 60 days before hand to make a reservation to ride it once.

The final issue was the resort reservation. With the kids getting bigger we really didn’t want to share a room with them and we didn’t want them to share a bed. However, at Disney prices we couldn’t afford two rooms or a suite. At a deluxe, two rooms are now over $800 a night even with the 40% discount. Suites were even more. Also we were going to move during the trip just to avoid the Disney buses. We hate the buses! The plan was to spend 4 nights at Beach Club and 3 at Grand Floridian. Packing up and transferring mid trip didn’t seem like a very relaxing solution to the transportation issue. So when we realized we could get a suite club level for about the same price we were paying for a standard room the decision was quick and unanimous. Throw in tons of new attractions, Harry Potter, and cheaper dining? Sign me up!

I think you have some great reasons for giving Universal a shot this year :) . And honestly, Central Florida has so much to offer outside of Disney, that I think everyone should give the other park families a try at one time or another. All of them are well worth a visit.

And you might just find that you have a new favourite :goodvibes .

Sounds like a fun trip your going to have...........

Enjoy watching the minions :rotfl: they are so funny...........:thumbsup2

I think you have some great reasons for giving Universal a shot this year :) . And honestly, Central Florida has so much to offer outside of Disney, that I think everyone should give the other park families a try at one time or another. All of them are well worth a visit.

And you might just find that you have a new favourite :goodvibes .

DH says he is more excited about this trip than he has been in years. I will be really surprised if it isn't our new favorite.

Sounds like a fun trip your going to have...........

Enjoy watching the minions :rotfl: they are so funny...........:thumbsup2

Thanks. We watched the first Despicable Me last night. It was adorable.

The first two are theme appropriate but not in a LOUD way, if you know what I mean. The last two are more subtle, and I'm actually the most partial to the third option, but not because of the pattern (which is cool! :cool1:) but because of the V-neck. I think that suits a gal better, assuming its for you!

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them! Great sleuthing!! :thumbsup2

I guess I better get busy finding our family's version....You've inspired me! :goodvibes

By the way, I totally *get* why you are done with Disney. My older son was raised on Disney and he still refers to Lion King, Hercules, and many other stories in a nostalgic way. He particularly loves the music! He's 23.:cloud9:

However, when asked where the group would prefer to go for the *last* family trip before the boys branch out on their own - the unanimous answer was Universal!! :yay:

Especially when its hot, we want the luxury of being spontaneous, and we just weren't feeling it at Disney anymore. If the guys want to ride the same thing 20 times in a row, they can do it at Universal. You just can't count on it at Disney these days. And besides, we wanted something novel, and the last time the boys were there was 10 years ago, so it will be new and fresh again.

Congratulations for making the choice to go over the Darkside! ;) I hope you enjoy it as much as we hope to!!:thumbsup2

The first two are theme appropriate but not in a LOUD way, if you know what I mean. The last two are more subtle, and I'm actually the most partial to the third option, but not because of the pattern (which is cool! :cool1:) but because of the V-neck. I think that suits a gal better, assuming its for you!

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them! Great sleuthing!! :thumbsup2

I guess I better get busy finding our family's version....You've inspired me! :goodvibes

Thanks for the input. I think I am going to go with the Butterbeer and the phoenix but I am going to try to get the phoenix in purple or bright pink.

If you find something really cool please share.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter