PTR; Joshua and Samantha's 1st Trip (Sep 17-26 '09) [Train Tour Pics!]

Now that I've been on DIS for almost 3 months, I've read a lot of trip reports and spent some time over on the Photography Board and have definitely picked up some pointers after seeing so many great pictures.
So, on this trip, I tried to use a couple techniques I've seen to see how they turned out. Where possible, I'm going to post a "normal" picture. Which means, the type of picture that I would normally take and then the "DIS" picture. Which means the picture I took based on tips I've seen here on the DIS boards.

Make sure to let me know what you think....when I downloaded these last night, Bridgette REALLY liked them.

First.....from the middle of the store, at shot over at the IKEA logo on the right-hand side of the store.

Normal pic:

006.jpg

DIS pic:

007.jpg

Inside the store, I had Joshua stand near the play area where you're supposed to measure yourself to see if you fit the height requirements.

Normal pic:

011.jpg

DIS pic:

012.jpg

Later....pictures over at the PlayHouse area in the middle of the store.
No normal pic, but imagine a straight ahead, eye-level photo, or even a straight photo from my standing vantage point down to where Joshua would be.

DIS pic:

030.jpg

Last, comes the STAR picture of the weekend (the picture that has become our new computer wallpaper at home). As seen in the TR post, the kids sitting outside of Mary's house.

Normal pic (kids in the center):

058.jpg

It is a good pic, but again...has a very normal feel to it.

DIS pic (focused my center on being between the tree and the kids....putting the kids actually off-center):

057.jpg

IMO, picture turned out great! Completely helped by the wonderful poses I managed to catch the kids with. Joshua, looking down and to the side while laughing about something and then Samantha, head down a little but eyes looking up ahead with a cute and sassy smile on her face.
Good chance we get that one printed as an 8x10(ish) and ends up hanging up in our house at some point.

Again, let me know what you think......I'm a very amateur picture-taker, but trying to learn from all you guys' great Disney pictures.

Great pictures!! :thumbsup2 I especially like the one of the kids off-center. And the first one of IKEA--with the signs and part of the parking lot. Very cool. I know you probably won't want to lay down at Disney World, but one thing I learned in my photography class in college was Find the Right Angle. Sometimes, that means laying down on your back. Sometimes that means standing on a table, sometimes that means looking through something at something else... Endless possibilities! :thumbsup2

And it looks like you and your family had a GREAT time at your sister's house. The picture of the kids sleeping is adorable. And those tatoos are just awesome!!

Oh--and congrats on scoring a Lilo and Stitch bfast ADR! :thumbsup2

Then, off to Central Market (no pictures here unfortunately....my camera battery died during the afternoon......oops!) We LOVE this place. Because of Oklahoma laws, we don't get a supercool grocery store like this....so, we have to wait until Plano trips to get to visit.

I LOVE walking around the Central Market whenever we go to Dallas, but never realized that the laws in Oklahoma prevented us from having something like that here! What is it that keeps a store like that away?

I really like your DIS inspired pictures - looks like I need to get over to the photography board and get a few tips myself!

Great update crocko! I can't believe you guys went to Ikea then posted pictures about it in your PTR... SO DID I!!! We went on Sunday and I posted them later in the night, that's just too funny.

And what is this about the DIS inspired pictures? Is there a specific thread about this on the Photography board? :confused3 I feel so DIS clueless. I know nothing about cameras except how to take a picture with regular point and shoot so I feel overwhelmed when I go to the board... but I really like those DIS pictures, especially the one with your kids on the curb- that one's really cute.

Great pictures!! :thumbsup2 I especially like the one of the kids off-center. And the first one of IKEA--with the signs and part of the parking lot. Very cool. I know you probably won't want to lay down at Disney World, but one thing I learned in my photography class in college was Find the Right Angle. Sometimes, that means laying down on your back. Sometimes that means standing on a table, sometimes that means looking through something at something else... Endless possibilities! :thumbsup2

And it looks like you and your family had a GREAT time at your sister's house. The picture of the kids sleeping is adorable. And those tatoos are just awesome!!

Oh--and congrats on scoring a Lilo and Stitch bfast ADR! :thumbsup2
Luckily, at Disney...I think I'll less inhibited about getting crazy with pictures. Outside of Disney, it feels weird to be snapping pictures all over. Like when I took pictures outside of the Disney store....I got a couple of weird glances. :laughing:

I LOVE walking around the Central Market whenever we go to Dallas, but never realized that the laws in Oklahoma prevented us from having something like that here! What is it that keeps a store like that away?

I really like your DIS inspired pictures - looks like I need to get over to the photography board and get a few tips myself!
From what I've heard, in Oklahoma...you cannot sell liquor (beer is okay, I guess) in a grocery store. We can have grocery stores...we can have liquor stores...we can have liquor stores right next to grocery stores...but we can't have the liquor IN the grocery store. From the aspect of not getting a Central Market-type store, it really stinks.

Great update crocko! I can't believe you guys went to Ikea then posted pictures about it in your PTR... SO DID I!!! We went on Sunday and I posted them later in the night, that's just too funny.

And what is this about the DIS inspired pictures? Is there a specific thread about this on the Photography board? :confused3 I feel so DIS clueless. I know nothing about cameras except how to take a picture with regular point and shoot so I feel overwhelmed when I go to the board... but I really like those DIS pictures, especially the one with your kids on the curb- that one's really cute.
LOL...that's funny that we both went to IKEA and posted about it. :thumbsup2

As for the "DIS pics"....I basically just meant that in looking at posts on the DISboards, I've seen a lot of great pictures that are the type that I wouldn't normally think to take....so, using examples I've seen here, trying to "think outside the box" a little more.

Not necessarily planning for Kim Possible, but that doesn't mean we won't give it a try. Sounds pretty fun, though.

You think it'll be good for a 5 and 3-year old?

Myles is 5 and he loved it. Owen wasn't yet two when we went and he enjoyed it too. (I think maybe my husband enjoyed it the most though :rotfl:) When we ask Myles what his favorite part of Epcot was he will always say Kim Possible. He can't wait to go back and do the rest of the missions.

From what I've heard, in Oklahoma...you cannot sell liquor (beer is okay, I guess) in a grocery store. We can have grocery stores...we can have liquor stores...we can have liquor stores right next to grocery stores...but we can't have the liquor IN the grocery store. From the aspect of not getting a Central Market-type store, it really stinks.

Ahhhh, yes, you are right - only 3.2 products can be sold in the grocery stores here. I also don't like our law that prohibits children under 21 from even entering a liquor store - if they aren't drinking it, or buying it, what does it hurt for them to be in the store?? The law just seems to promote leaving children alone in a car while mom or dad runs into the liquor store, which to me is less safe than just having them in the store with you :confused3

Myles is 5 and he loved it. Owen wasn't yet two when we went and he enjoyed it too. (I think maybe my husband enjoyed it the most though :rotfl:) When we ask Myles what his favorite part of Epcot was he will always say Kim Possible. He can't wait to go back and do the rest of the missions.
Well, then my interest in trying it has just gone up. Joshua is 5...and if Myles loved it, I could see Joshua getting into it, too. Thanks for the review :3dglasses

Great pictures! love your pics that you used the tips on!
the weekend trip looked like lots of fun!!!!
Have a great day!
It was fun. I love to be on vacation. :love:

Ahhhh, yes, you are right - only 3.2 products can be sold in the grocery stores here. I also don't like our law that prohibits children under 21 from even entering a liquor store - if they aren't drinking it, or buying it, what does it hurt for them to be in the store?? The law just seems to promote leaving children alone in a car while mom or dad runs into the liquor store, which to me is less safe than just having them in the store with you :confused3
Yeah...unfortunately the heart of law and practicality of law don't always work out well.

But man...we'd love to have a place like that close by.

Nov. 14th) Arrive at MCO @ 11:45 am, spend the evening at the World Showcase
ADR Goal = Le Cellier; I'll try to get a dinner time, but we're willing to settle for a late lunch if need be. Back-up, if we just can't get Le Cellier, then I will try for Coral Reef.

Nov. 15th) Magic Kingdom during the morning, Hollywood Studios in the afternoon and late EMH hours
ADR Goal = 1900 Park Fare; Our plan is to have breakfast here (sounds yummy, fun, and unique) and I will be trying to get a very early time slot

Nov. 16th) Animal Kingdom has early EMH...should finish there before 11am, DTD afternoon, Magic Kingdom for evening and late EMH hours
ADR Goal = Kona Cafe; Will be looking to hit the Kona Cafe for a between-the-parks lunch

Nov. 17th) Epcot for early EMH and hit Future World until we have to get back to the resort. Fly out of MCO @ 4:50pm
Okay, so....what ADR's did I manage to get?

Note: after running the numbers, I have decided that we will go ahead and purchase the Disney Dining Plan. Yesterday, I contacted the lady who I have rented DVC points from and she booked the DDP for me. :banana:

Well, since Mary's internet was down, I had to wait an hour longer until the phone lines opened up. I called right at 6am and was only on "hold music" for about 10 seconds. The CM who helped me was very kind and very efficient.

On Nov. 14th, I first asked about Le Cellier. No dinner times available AT ALL. No problem I was prepared for that. What about late lunch times?
She had a 2:50 time slot. PERFECT! With this mid-day meal, we'll probably do snacking the rest of the time, which means we can save one of our QS meals for the day we leave.

On Nov. 15th, I asked for as early as possible at 1900 Park Fare and there was an 8:15 available. Very good. We can eat there and then once done, take the monorail over to MK.
[NOTE: I'm not completely sure about this one, though. I went ahead and ::cough, cough:: double-booked some other reservations for that time slot yesterday]

On Nov. 16th, I had decided to go ahead and try for a lunchtime Kona Cafe instead of dinner time. I think that we will help with the scheduling of our day better. SO....I asked for a 12pm ressie and got exactly that.

So, as for now...

Nov 14 - Le Cellier 2:50pm
Nov 15 - 1900 Park Fare 8:15am
Nov 16 - Kona Cafe 12:00pm

:wizard:

Great pictures! :thumbsup2 I really like the different perspectives. I was working on my photography too, then got away from it. I'm going to have to get in some more practice in the next month. ;)

It sounds like you guys had a really fun weekend! Isn't it awesome to be under a month?!

I really like the way the one with your kids turned out, off center. I'm going to have to look through those photography boards. Seems like they have a lot of great tips!

Same here in Oregon

LOL...that's funny that we both went to IKEA and posted about it. :thumbsup2

As for the "DIS pics"....I basically just meant that in looking at posts on the DISboards, I've seen a lot of great pictures that are the type that I wouldn't normally think to take....so, using examples I've seen here, trying to "think outside the box" a little more.

Oh duh, lol. I was just looking at someone's flickr and I was so jealous of all the really great photos they seemed to capture. It made me really want to take some photography classes.

me in purple.

Just found your thread and read through it. It sounds like you're all set for a wonderful vacation! I LOVE the Disney alphabet school plans -- so creative! You've also posted some great pics; you have a beautiful family. And how fun that you're surprising your wife with OKW! Be sure to post some info about how the resort was -- we're new DVC owners, so I'm curious about what all the properties are like :)

Great pictures! :thumbsup2 I really like the different perspectives. I was working on my photography too, then got away from it. I'm going to have to get in some more practice in the next month. ;)

It sounds like you guys had a really fun weekend! Isn't it awesome to be under a month?!
We always plan on "practicing" but finding the time can be difficult.
And yes....yay for under a month :cool1:

I really like the way the one with your kids turned out, off center. I'm going to have to look through those photography boards. Seems like they have a lot of great tips!
There are a lot of great tips...some go over my head, but a few stick around and make sense to me. :laughing:

Oh duh, lol. I was just looking at someone's flickr and I was so jealous of all the really great photos they seemed to capture. It made me really want to take some photography classes.
Bridgette has talked about doing that...unfortunately, didn't find time to get it done before this trip.

Just found your thread and read through it. It sounds like you're all set for a wonderful vacation! I LOVE the Disney alphabet school plans -- so creative! You've also posted some great pics; you have a beautiful family. And how fun that you're surprising your wife with OKW! Be sure to post some info about how the resort was -- we're new DVC owners, so I'm curious about what all the properties are like :)
Glad you checked this out. :thumbsup2

Luckily come end of November, I'll be able to report on Kidani and OKW for you. Thanks for the compliments, too!

Well, that day that has become one of my favorites is here....

THURSDAY!!!

Which means...

ONLY 4 MORE WEEKS UNTIL DISNEY WORLD!!!!!!

:banana: :yay: :woohoo: :yay: :cool1:

The Letter W
Ride - Winnie the Pooh (the kids will probably love this ride...although they may be curious as to where Darby is...) :laughing:
Non-ride - Wishes (Yay for fireworks...the kids like fireworks, but get bored with them quickly...of course, they haven't seen Disney's version of fireworks) pirate:
Characters: Woody, Wall-E, Wendy, White Rabbit, Webigail, Winnie the Pooh, Wilbur Robinson, Wheezy, Walt Disney

wall-e-space-image.jpg

Getting down to crunch time.
We've definitely got to get some final trip preparation stuff done. T-shirts made and make sure we know what still needs purchased. :wizard:

Love the picture of Wall-E! My boyfriend loves that movie so I made him a shirt that says Jo-E. :)

Can you believe you'll be there in less than a month??

Bridgette has talked about doing that...unfortunately, didn't find time to get it done before this trip.

I know what you mean... well our trips are less than a month away now :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

But wishful thinking at least, and we have the DIS to get the ideas flowing :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter