PTR Feb 2016: What do you mean we're going to Disneyland? Updated 02/23 5 Days to Go Update!

mindylee847

DIS Veteran
Introductions
Hi everyone! Welcome to my first ever pre-trip report! :wave: It's probably a bit early to be posting this, but I'm too excited! My husband and I were booked for what would have been our tenth Walt Disney World vacation in May 2016… until we (or I should say “I”) decided that we needed to go back to Disneyland as this could very well be our last adult-only trip before we have some offspring! We’ll see how all that goes. I’ve been told that you “Sometimes can’t plan these things” but these are our hopes.

So who the heck are we??

My name is Mindy. I’m 28 and work as a sales and use tax analyst to help pay for my Disney addiction. I had never visited a Disney park until I was in my senior year of high school with my best friend. We went to Disney World for one magical week and I was officially hooked!

The other character in this story is my husband, Mike. He’s also 28. We actually got together in sophomore year of high school and well, it just worked! He’s passionate about Disney as well, more so in some aspects than me.

Here we are at Walt Disney World in February 2015 with the Genie when we ran into a ton of great characters randomly at Hollywood Studios (aka “Characterpalooza”):

10987454_695386374308_1940082652104338850_n_zpsrgpu7pmu.jpg

Please disregard my sloppy hair. The FL water just does not do well with me. :scared1:

Why are we going??

Mike and I have been to Disneyland once back in October 2008. I’m not sure how we were able to afford going all the way to California at that time, but we somehow made it happen! Side note: We live in Wisconsin. Doesn’t seem that there are often any cheap, direct flights out that way from our neck of the woods. Disneyland was absolutely wonderful. We spent 5 days out there, 4 days in the parks. Mike and I were actually celebrating our sixth anniversary of being together… and on the day of, he proposed!

227564_505542737478_9249_n_zpsxlqmavc4.jpg

It’s actually kind of a funny story. The above picture shows a proposal in front of the castle, but that is just a staged shot. What really happened… is a mess!

We went to eat at Café Orleans for dinner. I had the three-cheese monte cristo and it just was not my thing. For some reason I thought it tasted like chlorine! In hindsight, I should have sent it back… but Mike graciously offered me his salmon and he took on my chemical food. While I was staring off into the distance waiting for our check, Mike was poking me from the side. I turned around and there he was down on one knee with his pumpkin Mickey Mouse ears! How could I say “no” to that? Well, I actually was in such shock that all I said was “What? Okay?” :confused3 :rotfl:

Even funnier, apparently Mike had left the ring in our backpack near our money all day and was hoping I would find it… I never did! So that’s another reason all of this is such a mess, but what a great story! I wouldn’t have this any other way.

So after all my rambling, you can tell that Disneyland holds a special place in our hearts. I had gotten a little “sick” of WDW and was checking flights just for kicks and scored some great prices for flights… non-stop from Milwaukee! Unbelievable! So with a quick phone call for approval, I bought them and called our travel agent to switch over our reservations. Our official dates are Sunday, February 28th to Friday, March 4th!

For now, I’ll leave you with that. I start my final course tonight in my graduate MBA program but I figured this would help pass the time and get some happiness while I wait for the trip!

Accommodations

When we went to Disneyland in 2008, we stayed at the Motel 6 Anaheim Maingate since it was reasonable in price and still not too far of a walk. It’s less than a half mile according to the Disneyland website. I remember we used the shuttle one day and it was completely pointless as it picked up other people at other hotels and then just dropped us off a few blocks from our hotel at the Disneyland gates. I don’t remember much other than finding it acceptable for a place to crash. Here are the two photos I have of our stay in case anyone is interested!

221694_505526220578_4836_n_zpswerzatw1.jpg

227119_505526225568_5731_n_zpsuwfgyhwx.jpg

This time around, we had a bigger budget as we had planned to stay at Port Orleans French Quarter in Walt Disney World for ten days. I had initially booked Paradise Pier because my husband and I had had breakfast at PCH Grill the morning of our anniversary on our last trip. From the pictures, I preferred the brightness of the rooms but Mike wouldn’t have it. He had me call up our TA and switch to the Disneyland Hotel! The rooms don’t appeal to me as much, but the overall resort definitely does… at least from the pictures and reviews I’ve seen.

I love the themed towers. We are hoping to be placed in the Adventure Tower. I was told by my TA that there are only six standard rooms in the Adventure Tower and the rest are the more expensive rooms. I didn’t see the point in paying more to possibly have a better view, so we’re just hoping we get lucky! Mike is a big Adventureland fan. Being a Jungle Cruise skipper is his dream job. I think we’d really be happy in any tower though!

I also love the proximity to Trader Sam’s. That’s on our must do list! I’m hoping that it’s something we get to do at least two of the nights since I believe February hours are usually shorter than other times of the year (from what I’ve seen).

Sorry I don’t have many pictures… but it is a PTR. In lieu of that, here is a picture from our Halloween trip in '08 since it’s basically fall now in my mind! This was Mike's favorite decorative piece in California Adventure. Heimlich pops out of that little hole! I have no idea if it's still around. :)

222904_505537937098_2760_n_zpsiy8kaabr.jpg

Last edited:
Good Morning! :sunny:

I'm very excited as my TA has put our first large payment toward our vacation package! We are using the Disney Savings Account this time around to get some "free" gift cards and to not have to combine the gift cards all into one or have my TA put in each one individually. We didn't have that problem with them pulling out duplicate payments like many did a few months ago. We do one-time contributions with gift cards we purchase from Target with our Red Card. I'm going to try and get my first $20 gift card after we move at the end of the month. I don't want it getting lost in the mail. But either way, I'm very excited! It's always a relief to see the amount due go down! ::yes::

In the mean time, here's a picture of my husband and I at PCH Grill for breakfast when Pluto photobombed our picture with Donald! I really loved eating there - it just may have to be on our list when we go back.

229639_505532782428_5628_n_zpss2x6odif.jpg

Some Research - Weather

Hello, my quiet readers! :wave2:

I honestly didn't do a lot of research into the time of year we are going to Disneyland. I usually don't mind crowds or waits - or even weather for the most part at least in regards to when we book our Disney World vacations. We didn't do much research when we went in October of 2008 to Disneyland because we didn't have much experience with going anywhere, nor did it seem all that necessary for our trip.

With all the available information now online in regards to trips to Disney theme parks, I've started delving into other people's trip reports, the menus, and just the basic what's what kind of stuff. Wow. I'm a bit overwhelmed! Not that there's nearly as much information about DLR as there is WDW, but it's still a lot to get into my head.

So firstly, I looked at what kind of weather we'll be getting ourselves into. Per the Weather Channel's website, the average the week we are going is 72 degrees Fahrenheit - which let me tell you, is a dreaaaaaam compared to the Wisconsin weather around that time. Last winter we were up to (or should I say down to?) a windchill of -40 degrees in February. :eek: It also looks like that time of year can be kind of rainy... well lucky me, I just got a rain coat on sale so I know I'll be bringing that along!

I guess overall, my only real concern with weather is piles of snow in WI or it being so cold, that the plane has problems. Which is definitely the worst part since I'm basically horrified of flying. Claustrophobia can hit me pretty hard so throwing weather concerns on there kind of freaks me out. :crowded: I'm sure it'll be fine, and my husband is good with helping me keep calm!

And that's it for today! Here's one of my favorite Photopass pictures from last time:

225264_505542822308_9092_n_zpsfn5jwjdp.jpg

Thanks for following along! :goodvibes

Sweet! It sounds like you've got a good trip planned...and you will LOVE the DLH...seriously, it's my favorite. It's Disney through and through....the Mickey hands holding bathroom lights is so cute, and you'll love the headboards that light up and play "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes". :)

Sweet! It sounds like you've got a good trip planned...and you will LOVE the DLH...seriously, it's my favorite. It's Disney through and through....the Mickey hands holding bathroom lights is so cute, and you'll love the headboards that light up and play "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes". :)

Thanks for reading, Tyggress! :wave:

I'm sure I will love DLH. So glad to hear that you love it! The only drawback to me was all of the dark woods... even though I have all dark wood at home, for some reason I prefer lighter at hotels! :rotfl2:

What will be closed when we go? :sad1:

Disney's Aladdin - A Musical Spectacular
Fantasmic!

So, I figured I can use this spot right here as a personal list/updates for things that will be closed when we go at the end of February. This all came about because of the news I saw today that Aladdin is closing in January and reopening as a Frozen show in "summer" of 2016.

Let me tell you how disappointed I am. Seriously. It was closed when we went in October of 2008... figured, I'll be back one day soon enough and I'd catch it then. Clearly that never happened. So high up on my list, the more I read about how much people loved this show, the more I desperately wanted to see it. I guess I'll have to resort to YouTube to find a version but it's just not the same. :sad:

I'm adding Fantasmic! to this list which is also a disappointment. I'm adding it not because it's officially closed or anything, but I guess that it's only done Friday through Sunday. While I could go Sunday night as we arrive that late afternoon - but I was really hoping to utilize that time to explore the hotels, settle in, and check out Downtown Disney. Mike and I have actually never seen Fantasmic together which is so weird to think about. He'd seen it last when he went to WDW with orchestra in high school and I had seen it last on a family trip when I was in college. Apparently, he remembers none of it. Maybe once we know more about hours we'll change our plans around, but for right now neither of us feel the need to give up our first relaxing night to hit the parks.

Tickets and Park Days

I guess I forgot to mention that with our package we purchased four day park hopper tickets for Disneyland/California Adventure. We initially were going to have a five day so that we could hit the parks right away upon arrival, but since we were staying on site we really wanted to be able to appreciate the atmosphere.

On arrival day, the plan is to probably eat something right after checking into the hotel. I imagine at that point we'll be rather starving since we'll have been in travel mode since 7 AM CT until about 2 PM PT... which is basically 9 hours??? :eek:

One of Mike's absolute must-do's this trip is to hit Trader Sam's and we have a goal of drinking everything that comes in a souvenir cup while we're there (not all in one night)! From everything I'm finding online it doesn't look like there are as many special cups as there are in WDW so maybe it won't be as large of a task as we initially thought. :thumbsup2

I also want to take the time exploring both the Disneyland Hotel and the Grand Californian. I never really have the time to appreciate the resorts in WDW and I want to make it a point to do so while in Disneyland. And with Downtown Disney being so close, we also plan to have dinner there (Ralph Brennan's maybe??) and also window shop. I don't want to buy anything until later in the trip after I've seen what's all available!

As far as which parks when... in general for right now I can say that I want to do 2 days in Disneyland and at least 1.5 in California Adventure. I think we'll have to just see how it goes and what park hours look like and stuff... so I'm looking forward to when those are out. It's so weird being six months away and not having everything scheduled already! :rotfl:

222634_505537942088_3672_n_zpsvkt6jeg0.jpg

Until next time!

Sounds good so far. It is nice to read a PTR about as far away as mine. I am just starting our trip planning for the end of January and getting excited. We really liked DLH the 2 times we stayed there. We tried PPH last year. It was brighter but I do like the theming better at DLH. I think we are going to try PPH again (raising teenagers is expensive, :) ) The walk is about the same when we cut through GCH and a little quieter.

Sounds good so far. It is nice to read a PTR about as far away as mine. I am just starting our trip planning for the end of January and getting excited. We really liked DLH the 2 times we stayed there. We tried PPH last year. It was brighter but I do like the theming better at DLH. I think we are going to try PPH again (raising teenagers is expensive, :) ) The walk is about the same when we cut through GCH and a little quieter.

Hi PoohBearFriends! :wave2: Thanks for reading along! I'm so glad I'm hearing all these great things about DLH. I feel like January/February is so much closer than people think! Maybe it's just because I'm so used to having to plan WDW trips out so early that I actually feel delayed in my planning, lol! I am really looking forward to walking through the GCH. I remember cutting through there last time I went and just being in awe of the place.

As far as which parks when... in general for right now I can say that I want to do 2 days in Disneyland and at least 1.5 in California Adventure. I think we'll have to just see how it goes and what park hours look like and stuff... so I'm looking forward to when those are out. It's so weird being six months away and not having everything scheduled already! :rotfl:

222634_505537942088_3672_n_zpsvkt6jeg0.jpg

Until next time!

Don't forget that since you are staying onsite at DLH, you get into BOTH parks 1-hour early on alternating days....this is REALLY beneficial on DCA days because ONLY onsite guests get this option, whereas on DL early days, anyone with a 3-day hopper or longer can get in early. AND...if you are an early person, doing the power walk through DCA in the mornings is amazing. It's usually around 7am, and only open to onsite guests. The park is quiet, peaceful and so fun to walk through with essentially no one there.

Don't forget that since you are staying onsite at DLH, you get into BOTH parks 1-hour early on alternating days....this is REALLY beneficial on DCA days because ONLY onsite guests get this option, whereas on DL early days, anyone with a 3-day hopper or longer can get in early. AND...if you are an early person, doing the power walk through DCA in the mornings is amazing. It's usually around 7am, and only open to onsite guests. The park is quiet, peaceful and so fun to walk through with essentially no one there.

Yes! Thank you for the tip. :thumbsup2 I'm not the greatest morning person, but my husband is and with the time shift... I'm hoping that just makes it even easier to get up early. A power walk through the park?? I'll be doing that anyways on a regular basis :-)laughing:) but that does sound fun! I'll have to look into it. Is it something you sign up for or do you just go?

Yes! Thank you for the tip. :thumbsup2 I'm not the greatest morning person, but my husband is and with the time shift... I'm hoping that just makes it even easier to get up early. A power walk through the park?? I'll be doing that anyways on a regular basis :-)laughing:) but that does sound fun! I'll have to look into it. Is it something you sign up for or do you just go?

You just go...ask at check in what time they're doing it and they'll tell you where to meet up for it, etc.

Mindy's Must Do's

Hello! I wanted to put together my “Must Do” list for this upcoming trip… subject to change!!

Disneyland
1. Paint the Night Parade
2. Alice in Wonderland
3. “it’s a small world”
4. Star Tours
5. Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln

As you can see, most of my Disneyland list is specific to being there instead of Disney World. The only repeat attraction you’ll see is Star Tours and this is based solely off of the fact that I read that there will be an updated movie with the newer characters and such.

I know “it’s a small world” is also in WDW, but I’ve never been on the Disneyland version. I can’t wait to see the Disney characters!

Some honorable mentions are meeting Iron Man and Captain America. I also would really like to do the Matterhorn, but I can’t usually ride very jarring rides due to some medical issues so that’s probably out. I rode it back in 2008 and liked it, so I feel like I’m missing out some.

Two Must Do’s that I didn’t list, but are obvious in mind, are Pirates of the Caribbean and Space Mountain. I’m obsessed with the PotC ride and go on it multiple times so it’s no question that that will probably be the first ride we go on in Disneyland…. But we’ll see! Space Mountain, I’m concerned about. I can’t ride the one in WDW anymore as it’s just too much for my back. I remember the one in Disneyland being smoother, but I was also 7 years younger at the time too. I’m hoping to at least get on it once and that it’ll be as amazing as I remember.

California Adventure
1. Carsland
2. Meet Oswald the Lucky Rabbit
3. World of Color
4. Animation Academy
5. Soarin’ **

DCA has had a huge overhaul since we went back in 2008. Carsland wasn’t even open back when I went. There was no World of Color. Buena Vista Street didn’t even look how it does now… so to say I’m excited about visiting this park again is an understatement.

I wouldn’t say I’m obsessed with Cars… but I would say that I’m obsessed with amazing Disney Imagineering and from what I’ve seen in pictures, this is what I’m looking forward to most of the trip. We might to DCA our first morning just because I’m looking forward to this part so much, that I don’t know if I’ll be able to wait. And really, Mater and Lightning grow on you if you let them.

It’s probably also funny that I have meeting Oswald so high on my list. But really, how could you not have Walt’s original cartoon creation not be a priority?!

Also odd, the Animation Academy. But why? You might think. My husband and I have spent, literally, three hours straight drawing at the one that WAS in WDW. We just love it. I don’t think I can explain more than that. Plus, the building in DCA is gorgeous. I can’t wait to go back and check it out!

**Okay guys, here’s where I either lose you forever or you just accept the fact that someone doesn’t like Soarin’. I don’t care for Soarin’. I loved it when it opened. The orange smells and the trees, yes. All wonderful. But this seriously needs an update. I can’t do it anymore. I just can’t. I’m so done with it. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry! If the rumors are true and the new movie will be showing when we go, Mike and I will be hesitantly in line for it… but I just, I don’t know. I’d rather ride Tower of Terror a million times rather than waste any time on Soarin’.

Alrighty, that’s it for today! I’ll leave you with a picture from the “old” entrance to DCA! Thanks for reading. I actually don't even know what the newer entrance looks like... I just know it's been changed. :cool1:

230754_505537862248_5696_n_zpslx7nhcnk.jpg

Your list is great. My 2 cents: Space Mountain. I try once a time at WDW come out hurting. Do it 7 or 8 times at DLR, no pain. As you can see I am a lot older than you. Love it at DLR. Calif Screaming is good but not Goofy's sky school, again come out hurting.

Don't forget Peter Pan has had a major upgrade starting last Feb.

We ran into Oswald at the very front of DCA last year. Short line.

Also love that characters are often out by the front flowers throughout the day. We met Donald, Ariel, Jasmine and Minnie right after we left DCA (seeing Oswald) so really scored just for park hopping about 4:00.

New entrance really makes you feel like you are in the 20's. It is much better themed and more characters and events are going on.

I love Animation studio, drawing characters and also seeing characters there.

I'm glad to hear that Space Mountain at DLR isn't as bad, PoohBearFriends! And I'll definitely take note of your warnings about Goofy's Sky School. Probably something I'll just pass on to be safe. :)

Oh! Yes! I haven't been following Disneyland news and refurbishments much but I did read that there were some upgrades to both Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland since I've gone. Definitely looking forward to those. It's like, why did I even bother to make a list? Everything is basically on it anyways! :rotfl:

Awesome to hear about the characters! I'm hoping to meet as many as we can, with Oswald being priority number 1. Last trip we went with a friend who isn't really into the character meet and greets so that was pretty rough on me. But this time it will be different!

This is my first time reAding a pretrip report and I'm enjoying it. It's the next closest thing to actually going. I can feel your excitement!!! I'm j but so happy for you. You guys are gonna have a blast. We went last month and already want to go back. We stayed at pph this year and dlh last year. We loved both. And definitely take advantage of the early entry, imho it's worth it. We also used photopass plus for the first time and the pics were awesome!!! The photographers are so energetic and helpful!!! Pics came out great!!!

And February will be here in no time. And omg -40 in the winter???? CA will feel like a trip to Hawaii.

Happy Planning

Cars Land!!! Seriously, if you love Disney Imagineering as much as I do, you will be amazed by Cars Land.

Two of the best parts about it:
Try to be there at dusk one of your days....they light the neon up one at a time and play "Life Would Be a Dream", just like in the movie....goosebumps every time for me.
The yellow light in the middle of the street...just like Fillmore says in the movie "I'm tellin' ys man, every third blink is slower". LMAO....every third blink really IS slower!

FYI: ....you can meet Lightning and Mater all day long in front of the Cozy Cone Motel...they rotate every 1/2 hour. AND, DJ comes out every hour or so and a does a dance party in the middle of the street.

Anyways....enough rambling about Cars Land....I just got excited when you said you loved the Imagineering...you are in for a real treat!

So in the car this morning, Mike asked how many days until Disney. I like to make him tell me how many he thinks there are since he's usually over the correct amount and it always puts us in a happier mood when I tell him it's lower. He guessed 173... but it's actually only 160 days away!! pixiedust: That means there are 100 days until dining reservations! :thumbsup2

This is my first time reAding a pretrip report and I'm enjoying it. It's the next closest thing to actually going. I can feel your excitement!!! I'm j but so happy for you. You guys are gonna have a blast. We went last month and already want to go back. We stayed at pph this year and dlh last year. We loved both. And definitely take advantage of the early entry, imho it's worth it. We also used photopass plus for the first time and the pics were awesome!!! The photographers are so energetic and helpful!!! Pics came out great!!!

And February will be here in no time. And omg -40 in the winter???? CA will feel like a trip to Hawaii.

Happy Planning

Hi jillyasu425!! :wave: Thanks for joining in. I'm so glad you're enjoying my PTR. It's my very first time writing one and I know it's a bit early, but it's just way too exciting to not start writing about it! :goodvibes

I'm used to doing sit down breakfasts every morning in WDW, but the more I hear about how important that early hour is, I know I'll be having to grab breakfast on the go! I'm going to be researching what kind of things I grab on the way in that are delicious but quick. Any suggestions?? I can't miss out on this primo hour! :cool2:

Did they do a lot of magic shots in Disneyland? That's one of the main reasons I want to get a Photopass+ disc this time around. I just love their photos.

And seriously, this weather in Wisconsin gets ridiculous. The trip at the end of February is going to be the only thing getting me through!

Cars Land!!! Seriously, if you love Disney Imagineering as much as I do, you will be amazed by Cars Land.

Two of the best parts about it:
Try to be there at dusk one of your days....they light the neon up one at a time and play "Life Would Be a Dream", just like in the movie....goosebumps every time for me.
The yellow light in the middle of the street...just like Fillmore says in the movie "I'm tellin' ys man, every third blink is slower". LMAO....every third blink really IS slower!

FYI: ....you can meet Lightning and Mater all day long in front of the Cozy Cone Motel...they rotate every 1/2 hour. AND, DJ comes out every hour or so and a does a dance party in the middle of the street.

Anyways....enough rambling about Cars Land....I just got excited when you said you loved the Imagineering...you are in for a real treat!

No. Freaking. Way. Tyggress. I literally got chills with your description about the light!! How amazing is that?! I pretty much expect I'll never leave Carsland especially at night. It just looks amazing in pictures. And we definitely have to meet Lightning, but especially MATER!! I heard they can talk? Is that true? Ohmygosh. I'm too excited!! :jumping1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter