PTR Feb 2016: What do you mean we're going to Disneyland? Updated 02/23 5 Days to Go Update!

Did they do a lot of magic shots in Disneyland? That's one of the main reasons I want to get a Photopass+ disc this time around. I just love their photos.

No. Freaking. Way. Tyggress. I literally got chills with your description about the light!! How amazing is that?! I pretty much expect I'll never leave Carsland especially at night. It just looks amazing in pictures. And we definitely have to meet Lightning, but especially MATER!! I heard they can talk? Is that true? Ohmygosh. I'm too excited!! :jumping1:

Yes, they talk! And they drive through Cars Land on their own (kind of....I think they're controlled remotely somehow). If you tickle Lightning's front headlight, he'll laugh. LMAO

Magic Shots...YES! They have a ton of them. AND, this year for the 60th they have a bunch of special photo op areas set up everywhere. Definitely get the PP+.

Yes, they talk! And they drive through Cars Land on their own (kind of....I think they're controlled remotely somehow). If you tickle Lightning's front headlight, he'll laugh. LMAO

Magic Shots...YES! They have a ton of them. AND, this year for the 60th they have a bunch of special photo op areas set up everywhere. Definitely get the PP+.

Amazing that they talk!!! I'm not going to tell Mike. He'll be so surprised. :rolleyes1

Definitely getting sold on the PP+, especially since it seems like a bargain compared to the one in WDW. :yay:

Amazing that they talk!!! I'm not going to tell Mike. He'll be so surprised. :rolleyes1

Definitely getting sold on the PP+, especially since it seems like a bargain compared to the one in WDW. :yay:

It is....beyond the magic shots and pictures around the resorts, you also get all of your ride photos and character meal photos (if you're doing any).
Last year we ended up with 200+ pics, then when I was done playing with them and got my disc, I had about 100 more.

I'm a WDW junkie but will be heading to DL in Feb. Any suggestions for a "must do" that's not done at WDW?

I'm a WDW junkie but will be heading to DL in Feb. Any suggestions for a "must do" that's not done at WDW?

From what I remember in 2008 - I loved seeing the differences on Pirates and Space Mountain. I also made it a point to ride anything that wasn't at WDW - like Indiana Jones and Alice in Wonderland. Stuff like that!

Since I haven't been for a while, hopefully someone else can chime in and answer your question better. This time around, I'm really looking forward to Carsland, World of Color, and the Paint the Night Parade! I've heard wonderful things and those things are definitely not at WDW.

Plus, with the Diamond Celebration being held until September 2016 I'm sure it'll be amazing to just experience that sort of celebration. :)

We're going pretty much the same time as you! Fantasmic will be dark starting January 10 until whenever...so you'd be missing it anyway. I enjoyed reading your trip report and all the tips people gave you. I think I'll start one. We are 156 days and counting!!

I'm hoping they'll keep "Hyperspace Mountain" around until we get there! And possibly even keep the 60th Fireworks every night until we get there. I know they probably won't but a girl can dream!!

Hi everyone! Sorry I was MIA for a week or so. I was busy moving an hour North of where I used to live. Loving our new place and the cats are settling in just fine - but now it's time to get back to DISNEY!!

We're going pretty much the same time as you! Fantasmic will be dark starting January 10 until whenever...so you'd be missing it anyway. I enjoyed reading your trip report and all the tips people gave you. I think I'll start one. We are 156 days and counting!!

I'm hoping they'll keep "Hyperspace Mountain" around until we get there! And possibly even keep the 60th Fireworks every night until we get there. I know they probably won't but a girl can dream!!

Thanks for reading, texasgingerbread! :wave: Please do start a PTR! I'll definitely read along.

I did see the news about Fantasmic and the railroad. Makes it much easier for me to make that decision about Sunday night! Now we will definitely be able to relax but I really am disappointed about the train! It's so classic.

And I SOOOOO agree. I hope Hyperspace Mountain is continued through March. I saw the dates for WDW's Star Wars event and noticed it was only about two months long... hopefully Disneyland's is extended to last as well. Fingers crossed!! :goodvibes

Costco Conundrum

We moved to a city where there is a Costco!! So super exciting - and we became Executive Members which means we have access to Costco Travel discounts. Who knew?? I never hear people talking about it... so I'm not exactly sure about the details.

Per their online description, it looks like I would get the following perks booking through them for a Disneyland 2016 vacation:

• Premium Disney Character Dining Experience (one per person, per stay) – a value of $47 per adult and $28 per child (ages 3 to 9)
  • Disney Gift Card valued at up to $100 (one per package, value based on length of stay)
  • Disneyland® Resort Photo by Disney's PhotoPass™ Service*
  • Magical Extras Savings Card valid at select Downtown Disney dining and shopping locations (one card per room, per stay)
  • Complimentary shuttle service to South Coast Plaza for up to six guests (per stay)
  • 15% discount on select Disneyland Resort Park tours
  • Collectible Disney pin with matching luggage tag and lanyard (one per person)
I currently use a travel agent simply because she's related to my best friend and it's at no additional cost to me... so why not give her the perks and pay from Disney? But now that I'm seeing this... I just don't know if I should use her anymore.

I also don't know if I can just cancel my whole trip and switch to book through Costco. I don't know if I'll have the same price at this point and I don't want to end up not using her, but still paying more money?

I already emailed her to see if there's any way to match or add this and she said no.

Leaving it as is, I can have her call to change my package with promotions and book any dining. While I have the time to do all of this, it's just easier to ask her to do it. This definitely adds value for me, but how much value is the question?

Gosh - anybody else ever have to think about something like this? She's basically like family and she works so very hard for me.

I think I will have some more research to do ahead of me in the next week or so. Feel free to post your thoughts on this conundrum! :scared:

Costco Conundrum

We moved to a city where there is a Costco!! So super exciting - and we became Executive Members which means we have access to Costco Travel discounts. Who knew?? I never hear people talking about it... so I'm not exactly sure about the details.

Per their online description, it looks like I would get the following perks booking through them for a Disneyland 2016 vacation:
  • Premium Disney Character Dining Experience (one per person, per stay) – a value of $47 per adult and $28 per child (ages 3 to 9)
  • Disney Gift Card valued at up to $100 (one per package, value based on length of stay)
  • Magical Extras Savings Card valid at select Downtown Disney dining and shopping locations (one card per room, per stay)
  • Complimentary shuttle service to South Coast Plaza for up to six guests (per stay)
I currently use a travel agent simply because she's related to my best friend and it's at no additional cost to me... so why not give her the perks and pay from Disney? But now that I'm seeing this... I just don't know if I should use her anymore.

I also don't know if I can just cancel my whole trip and switch to book through Costco. I don't know if I'll have the same price at this point and I don't want to end up not using her, but still paying more money?

I already emailed her to see if there's any way to match or add this and she said no.

Leaving it as is, I can have her call to change my package with promotions and book any dining. While I have the time to do all of this, it's just easier to ask her to do it. This definitely adds value for me, but how much value is the question?

Gosh - anybody else ever have to think about something like this? She's basically like family and she works so very hard for me.

I think I will have some more research to do ahead of me in the next week or so. Feel free to post your thoughts on this conundrum! :scared:

I think it's a business decision...no reason to make it personal. If Target had the same product as Walmart and it was $150 cheaper would you go to Walmart to buy it? Yes. If Target put it back on sale or price-matched you probably would stay with Target, but if they couldn't you'd jump ship.

The real question would be now is if the hotel is still the same price. Good luck on your decision! Either way your trip will be magical.

I think it's a business decision...no reason to make it personal. If Target had the same product as Walmart and it was $150 cheaper would you go to Walmart to buy it? Yes. If Target put it back on sale or price-matched you probably would stay with Target, but if they couldn't you'd jump ship.

The real question would be now is if the hotel is still the same price. Good luck on your decision! Either way your trip will be magical.

You're definitely right. It's important that I'm making the best decision for us. $100 is a good savings alone with the gift card but to also throw a character meal in there too... it's too tempting to not look into.

I can call the Costco Travel line and get pricing and what-not, probably on Saturday morning. It can't hurt to get a quote.

I will definitely need to check into if they accept Disney Gift Cards though. I already have a good amount of money saved in the Disney Savings Account so that will also be a huge factor in all of this. Plus, we normally get our gift cards at Target with the 5% off so there's definitely some number crunching in my future!

Thank you!

Costco Conundrum

I always book my DL trips with Costco.
It turns out to be the same price as booking with DL and you actually end up booking through DL Travel.
But you do get the Dinning vouchers that can be used for Character dinning or at any sit down restaurant just know you do not get change back if your meal is less than the voucher. Along with the other things you listed. I have never had a problem booking this way it all works great.

I always book my DL trips with Costco.
It turns out to be the same price as booking with DL and you actually end up booking through DL Travel.
But you do get the Dinning vouchers that can be used for Character dinning or at any sit down restaurant just know you do not get change back if your meal is less than the voucher. Along with the other things you listed. I have never had a problem booking this way it all works great.

Awesome to hear that it works out so well for you! I'm going to have to give them a call this weekend to work out the details and see what makes the most sense for us. :thumbsup2

Visa Discounts & Dining Updates

Hi! Hello! I'm back!

I apologize for being MIA for a while but guess who has their Masters degree now in business management?! :hyper: Finally all done and just waiting for the official grades to be posted. What a relief to have that off my plate... only for me to start thinking about when to start studying for the CPA exam. :rotfl:

So the deal with Costco is this - I never called them. But I did some playing with prices and looked at what I could online and I was pretty sure I'd break just about even with the loss of maybe a free character meal (which I'm on the fence about as is).

Lo and behold, my husband opened his email today to this beauty:

IMG_2709_zpsgfkauubl.jpg

But wait! That's exactly when I'm going!! So I texted and emailed my TA at 6:15 this morning. :rotfl2:See? She puts up with so much that I couldn't possibly switch over to Costco Travel - which I'm glad I didn't because she saved me an additional $337!! :cheer2: I could have upgraded to a premium room and still saved some money, but I just didn't see the point in doing so. I may change my mind while I think about it for a bit, but for right now I'm happy with what I have booked.

I also asked my TA to email Disney Dining. So here's the deal - I'm vegetarian and have basically been for a long time. It started as a texture thing, but grew more into animal rights and what not. Anyways - I usually don't have a problem finding a few vegetarian foods on menus, but here's the dilemma. I'm also lactose intolerant. I can still handle smaller amounts in baked goods and things but cheese, milk, and a large amount of butter... it just doesn't sit well. I used to just deal with it, but I've officially started trying to cut it out for the most part because it doesn't feel good to be sick/uncomfortable. I plan on taking some pills with me, but I want to know what kind of options are available to me. I'll keep you posted on the response from Disney Dining! :cool2:

And that's it for the updates right now. Thanks for reading along.

Life Update

Things were looking up. I was going to finally have more time to spend with my family again. I was done with graduate school and ready to celebrate the holidays. Last week Tuesday, I found out that my father passed away. I'm so unbelievably upset. This last week has been a whirlwind for my brother and I as we have had to clear out his house and throw together what we think he may have wanted as far as funeral arrangements and things go. There was no will or note left for us and he lived alone. My parents have been divorced officially just a year now. He absolutely loved Disneyland no matter how much he said he didn't like Mickey Mouse to me all of the time. He was a huge train guy. When we went to Disney World in 2010 as a family, we had the opportunity to do the Steam Trains Tour. He absolutely loved every minute of it. He was asking so many questions and really making the tour guides day. I'll never forget it.

16879_513009399228_6613848_n_zps5qcloa0l.jpg

I just wanted to post this so you know where I'm at - if I'm unable to respond to anything or don't make any updates in the next few weeks.

I love you so much, Dad. So many people have and you will be so missed. When I go to Disneyland in February, I will make sure to ride some of your favorites - Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, and of course The Enchanted Tiki Room. I wish the train was going to be running while we were there, but just know that I would ride it around in for at least an hour.

WDW Mini PTR

So Mike and I did something crazy... we booked a two night stay at All Star Movies for Thanksgiving weekend!! We will be driving down because plane tickets are ridiculous and Mike and I actually love taking long car rides together. It helps us talk out things and just be together. Some of our best times together have been while driving and singing or talking.

So on Wednesday, November 25th we are headed down to experience the Osborne Lights for the very first and last time! We are going to stop in Louisville on the way down and then finish up the drive on Thanksgiving... hopefully getting in early enough to catch the Packers game somewhere.

I know this sounds crazy. It does. But Thanksgiving is exactly one month from when my dad committed suicide and I just don't think I'll be able to deal with the day so I'm escaping to my happy place. Plus, with the discount we got on our DLR trip, it practically pays for itself.

I also know this isn't DLR related, but it's related enough? I'll probably do a side Trip Report and I'll update this thread with the link for those interested.

I've got my fastpasses for Friday and I've even got two breakfast ADRs set up as well! This is bound to be a great way for us to spend the holiday and bring us some happiness in this mess. :)

Thank you for following along!

And PS: When I get back from WDW, I'll be in the double digits!

Dining Reservation Thoughts

Alrighty! Back from my WDW quick getaway and it really was so worth it. It helped me refocus on the now and I think I'm actually looking more positively toward the future. :-)

So back to Disneyland! I've been trying to read quite a bit about what I want to eat in Disneyland. I mentioned earlier that I'm vegetarian and every once and a while Mike will eat fish. My TA never got back to me about dining options, but I think maybe that's because Disney hasn't gotten back to her. I've found quite a few quick service options... maybe too many. I'm excited about breakfast starting up at Rancho del Zocalo. I remember Mike and I ate there twice on our last trip there. We really loved it and we love breakfast food so this is awesome! That will be a must do for us.

As far as sit downs go, Mike wants to do Blue Bayou and my TA just emailed me about the Paint the Night Parade package that will be available beginning in January. That is something we definitely need to have a reservation for! The veggie option looks absolutely delish - but anything that has mushrooms in it usually makes me excited!

I can't think of what else we want to do and what we would need reservations for. I've heard rave reviews about Carthay Circle... but I'm not seeing a vegetarian option on there and the fish option isn't very detailed. I know sit downs in WDW are super accommodating and in general, a place will whip up a vegetarian option... but I don't know if it's worth it with all the great quick service meals I was seeing. Maybe we'll just wing the rest of it other than Blue Bayou.

So I guess there isn't too much planning I need to do for food this time and it's really weirding me out. :confused3

Also - not dining related. Just found out that I can't buy the Photopass in advance now. Super disappointed. I was waiting til it was closer til our date because I didn't want to lose it. :sad: Now I'm trying to decide if we will even want it at all... so bummed about that.

Thanks for following along!

Also - not dining related. Just found out that I can't buy the Photopass in advance now. Super disappointed. I was waiting til it was closer til our date because I didn't want to lose it. :sad: Now I'm trying to decide if we will even want it at all... so bummed about that.

Why cant you buy the photopass in advance?

Why cant you buy the photopass in advance?

It's no longer available when you go to the website. I'm not sure if they are transitioning it to something else or what... I just know it's not there anymore. I've heard that I'll be able to buy it when I get there, but it will be full price instead of the $69.99 that it was for preorder.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter