PTR: And now for something completely different - a WDW Family does DLR *(new October 9th)*

gotta love a good Star Wars gif .... this one is probably my favorite:
::yes:: So much awesomeness in that gif...

We are flying out of Washington DC (we will first drive to Judi's family to drop the dogs off and then will then drive us to the airport and D.C. is the closest major airport to them), and were able to find direct flights from there to San Diego for the dates we were looking at on United and the rate we got was lower than pretty much anything else I had been seeing - even if we had a stop or two. So seeing the direct flight at that rate we decided to just go for it. Maybe cheaper options will come up but for flying the whole family cross country it seemed ok - and like I said, we just like having things set.
Good idea. If it is a decent rate and you've got it locked in and don't have to worry about it anymore, then it is well worth it. Seems to be working out well for your plans, and a direct flight is always a winner.

We also had enough points to fully cover the stay here and it is all suites so will have a separate living room and bedroom so we a) have more space and b) if need to put Emma and/or other kids to sleep while others are still awake. It also comes with included cooked-to-order breakfast so thought that was good to at least have as an option
That seems like it should work out really well for you. Staying on points is always a good thing! I'm sure the breakfast will be beneficial too. You know, when you're not going to breweries for brunch. Or maybe just as a snack to hold you over until brunch. :rotfl2:

Hi :wave2:. I just caught up on your report.

Since I've only been to WDW reading about DL is like trying to read Latin. :confused: I'm looking forward to reading about your trip. Maybe some day we'll make it out to CA and I'll be one step ahead in the planning process. :thumbsup2

Also looking forward to hearing about San Diego. I've never been but DH goes on business and I've read about the climate and it sounds like the perfect place. :goodvibes

I'm sorry to hear about the fire and water damage. That's scary and terrible timing but I guess there's never a good time for something like that. I'm happy to hear that no one was hurt and that your kitchen remodel is going to be relatively painless. But yeah, 3 kids and a partial kitchen? Yikes. :eek:

Behind on my comments, but just wanted to pop in and say your plans sound good - always nice to get the big stuff arranged! And congrats to Olivia on her shiny new $5 bill! :thumbsup2

Finally all caught up! I haven't been to DL in about 18 years so I am really excited to hear about your plans and trip as I would love to go sometime soon.

I did go to San Diego in 2013 and am going again this August! I really love it there and have a few friends out there which is always nice. My DH keep saying we now know why so many of our friends went to visit and never left.

Also just wanted to say I love the Bronx zoo!!!

::yes:: So much awesomeness in that gif...

Good idea. If it is a decent rate and you've got it locked in and don't have to worry about it anymore, then it is well worth it. Seems to be working out well for your plans, and a direct flight is always a winner.

That seems like it should work out really well for you. Staying on points is always a good thing! I'm sure the breakfast will be beneficial too. You know, when you're not going to breweries for brunch. Or maybe just as a snack to hold you over until brunch. :rotfl2:

definitely glad to have the flight booked - especially for the entire family (if just me or something I don't mind waiting). As much as we were trying to talk ourselves into a flight with stops if it would mean saving a good chunk of change, in the end I think we are happy to have the direct flight.

I think we will be happy with the hotel - especially after CateinPhoenix indicated she would have recommended and started talking about the LaJolla Cove area which sounds fine.

Definitely need some sort of pre-brunch meal to tied us over. Perhaps stop elsewhere for a snack between first and second brunch as well :thumbsup2

Hi :wave2:. I just caught up on your report.

Since I've only been to WDW reading about DL is like trying to read Latin. :confused: I'm looking forward to reading about your trip. Maybe some day we'll make it out to CA and I'll be one step ahead in the planning process. :thumbsup2

Also looking forward to hearing about San Diego. I've never been but DH goes on business and I've read about the climate and it sounds like the perfect place. :goodvibes

I'm sorry to hear about the fire and water damage. That's scary and terrible timing but I guess there's never a good time for something like that. I'm happy to hear that no one was hurt and that your kitchen remodel is going to be relatively painless. But yeah, 3 kids and a partial kitchen? Yikes. :eek:

:welcome: Thanks for joining! I felt the same way when I started to read out Disneyland that it was like a foreign language. I mean, even little thinks like at Disneyland "resorts" are the park/or the entire complex (i.e., Disneyland Resort) whereas at Walt Disney World a "resort" means a hotel - at Disneyland the hotels are, well, hotels.

I know! Especially after this winter we had in the Northeast I found myself more than once asking Judi "um, why do we live where we live again?" (granted the answer was "oh right, that's where my job is")

It definitely could have been a lot worse, and we keep reminding ourselves that ... still no fun and now the sink has been removed so we are doing dishes in the powder room sink, etc. - definitely not the best of times.

Behind on my comments, but just wanted to pop in and say your plans sound good - always nice to get the big stuff arranged! And congrats to Olivia on her shiny new $5 bill! :thumbsup2

Thanks for popping in! Though definitely feel like we've kept up to speed on your TR and PTR!
Olivia is quite happy - though she keeps asking me how much different things cost and they trying to figure out how many teeth she needs to lose to be able to afford them :rotfl2:

Finally all caught up! I haven't been to DL in about 18 years so I am really excited to hear about your plans and trip as I would love to go sometime soon.

I did go to San Diego in 2013 and am going again this August! I really love it there and have a few friends out there which is always nice. My DH keep saying we now know why so many of our friends went to visit and never left.

Also just wanted to say I love the Bronx zoo!!!

:welcome: Thanks for joining and for catching up :thumbsup2

Hopefully this TR brings back some memories for you but also highlights new things/makes you want to go back :goodvibes

We've never been to California so looking forward to seeing if San Diego really is as nice as everyone says. Especially after the winter we had... we might not come back either :rotfl:

We love the Bronx Zoo, as do the kids. We also went to the Bear Mountain Zoo last year for the first time and really liked that too - very low key zoo which is nice

Aw, congrats Olivia on the first lost tooth!

I completely understand about wanting everything booked far in advance. I usually book our flights as soon as possible, too!

That's great that you'll have a suite in San Diego, too.

Hi Phil!!

I just caught up on your PTR!!!

I didn't realized you were in Finance! I'm in Finance at a CPG company! So, I understand your use of excel with planning for your trips! :thumbsup2

I'm excited to follow along your planning for DL! We used to have a condo in San Diego so I went to Disney Land a handful of times growing up but I don't remember THAT much. I remember really liking California Adventure and that was before a lot of things were added to it & changed. I don't even remember where we stayed any of these times so I'm not much help. :confused: We also went to the San Diego Zoo a TON and it really is awesome. I don't know if the deal you bought for the Safari part is the same thing we did, but one time my dad and I did an actual safari through part of their park and I was able to feed a baby rhino! If that is the same thing you are doing, you'll love it.

Sorry to hear about the fire in the kitchen- glad it was minor and didn't do too much damage. And now you'll get a nice new kitchen! :goodvibes

Yay...more plans and getting the flights. Awesome.

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: Tooth Fairy...nice job.

Thank you Kathy! Judi came up with the idea for the sparkly 5er ... I think for the rest of the teeth she will get a $1 gold coin

Aw, congrats Olivia on the first lost tooth!

I completely understand about wanting everything booked far in advance. I usually book our flights as soon as possible, too!

That's great that you'll have a suite in San Diego, too.

Thank you! Olivia was very proud ... and now trying to figure out how many more teeth she needs to lose to buy another Disney Infinity character (although she said she wants to get Anna for Peter so I kinda wanted to help her along)

I just like having what can be set, set so I don't have to worry about it. And while I like to save money as much as the next person I don't feel I need to have the absolute best deal ever so when I saw prices I thought were pretty darn good to me it was worth it to have it locked it now vs. stressing about it just to potentially save a little more $

Yeah, I think the extra space will be great!

Hi Phil!!

I just caught up on your PTR!!!

I didn't realized you were in Finance! I'm in Finance at a CPG company! So, I understand your use of excel with planning for your trips! :thumbsup2

I'm excited to follow along your planning for DL! We used to have a condo in San Diego so I went to Disney Land a handful of times growing up but I don't remember THAT much. I remember really liking California Adventure and that was before a lot of things were added to it & changed. I don't even remember where we stayed any of these times so I'm not much help. :confused: We also went to the San Diego Zoo a TON and it really is awesome. I don't know if the deal you bought for the Safari part is the same thing we did, but one time my dad and I did an actual safari through part of their park and I was able to feed a baby rhino! If that is the same thing you are doing, you'll love it.

Sorry to hear about the fire in the kitchen- glad it was minor and didn't do too much damage. And now you'll get a nice new kitchen! :goodvibes

:welcome: Hi Lauren - thanks for joining. Obviously I've been enjoying your TR.

I actually switched to the dark side and work in corporate finance for a reinsurance company which sounds not super exciting but it pretty interesting. My degree is actually in computer engineering and did that for a bit through a consultancy firm but switched to a bit more stable lifestyle. Plus major Excel training for use in trip planning!

The Safari Park is definitely a completely separate place than the regular zoo but from what I have read they do have trips out in trucks like you describe where you can get close to the animals like that (though many the kids have to be a bit older and they cost extra so not sure if we will do any this trip).

Thanks - definitely trying to always remember that everything could have been much, much worse. It is going to take a while (they just found more structural issues) but it will be nice to have the new kitchen ... eventually.

At least you went ahead and got the plane tickets knocked out. It can add to peace of mind knowing you've got the transportation covered.

Probably the smartest idea to get a suite for your San Diego stay. With 3 kids, you need some breathing room and space for them to sleep while other are awake.

:blush:

I read your update the day you posted. And then one month goes by and I realized I never replied:blush:

Sorry :flower3:

First off, to those that celebrate:

To those that celebrate? If they don't, why are they even on your thread??:confused3 Dang, I just majorly burned the non-SW peeps.

o with that said, even though I know this is further out that we need to get them, over the weekend we bought our plane tickets out to San Diego.

we just like having things set.

Awesome that you got your flights booked. One less thing to worry about :thumbsup2 Also, i'm not too familiar with canceling/rebooking, but if you find a cheaper rate with United, can't you get refunded the difference?

but the good news is that we don't leave until a little after 1pm so we should have time to do breakfast at Steakhouse 55 that morning which I was really hoping to do as I want to check that out but not "eat" into a park day.

Yes!!!:banana: This is great news!

We also had enough points to fully cover the stay here and it is all suites so will have a separate living room and bedroom so we a) have more space and b) if need to put Emma and/or other kids to sleep while others are still awake. It also comes with included cooked-to-order breakfast so thought that was good to at least have as an option

Perfect, more space is always nice.

10995578_10153329101237400_7780472812236496817_n.jpg

Oh my gosh, she is just too adorable! And love the Leia buns :goodvibes

At least you went ahead and got the plane tickets knocked out. It can add to peace of mind knowing you've got the transportation covered.

Probably the smartest idea to get a suite for your San Diego stay. With 3 kids, you need some breathing room and space for them to sleep while other are awake.

Definitely nice to not have to worry about getting flights and glad that the cheapest options were also times that were pretty good for us

The more I think about it, especially knowing we are coming of the longest flight the kids have ever been on, the more I am glad we went for this option as having some space will likely be very appreciated

:blush:
I read your update the day you posted. And then one month goes by and I realized I never replied:blush:
Sorry :flower3:

No worries what so ever ... but thank you for the flower :goodvibes

To those that celebrate? If they don't, why are they even on your thread??:confused3 Dang, I just majorly burned the non-SW peeps.

Well, I suppose it is technically possible to like Disney and not Star Wars ... though, their enjoyment of the thread will be reduced by approximately 12 parsecs ;)

Awesome that you got your flights booked. One less thing to worry about :thumbsup2 Also, i'm not too familiar with canceling/rebooking, but if you find a cheaper rate with United, can't you get refunded the difference?
Yes!!!:banana: This is great news!

Perfect, more space is always nice.

Generally you can rebook if the price different is more than a certain amount and/or pay a fee ... the fee would likely be more than any savings we would see, so probably not an option, but can always keep an eye on things.

Definitely was happy when the cheapest rate we saw was for a flight out that would work to do breakfast Sat morning at Steakhouse 55 ... nice when things work out like that :thumbsup2

Oh my gosh, she is just too adorable! And love the Leia buns :goodvibes

Thank you - she definitely can be adorable at times .... she was just so happy and excited about losing the tooth and that the tooth fairly came, etc. Hopefully she isn't too bummed when she realizes that she isn't get $5 for each tooth, just the first one

Part 10 - some random life updates and initial thoughts on park planning

So it has been a while since the last update so thought I would comment on a few random things going on in real life that people might be interested in and then also get into some initial thoughts I had for park touring (what to hit each day) - but am looking for lots of advice on which attractions to hit when and which to get FastPasses for and when, etc.

First, just an update on the kitchen - this has turned into a way bigger job than we originally thought demo showed that the back corner of the house was basically only being supported by rotten posts (and thus not really being supported) so we had to have an engineer come in and rebuild that part. Now we found we need to re-frame the window and also figure out what to do for insulation as the exterior walls were built with 2x4 not 2x6 so regular insulation doesn't really fit. Oh well, seeing some progress but just taking longer than I hoped - we are pushing a month with not kitchen sink at this point.

Oh, and then the transmission went on my car so that is currently being replaced (under warranty, but still, more hassle).

On the bright side, we had seen a promotion through Disney Parks for a free "stick figure family" sticker and that arrived recently and I thought came out pretty cute ... and hey, you don't often see "free" and "Disney" in the same sentence:

Stick Figure Family.jpg

One other thing, those of you that have seen Tomorrowland - or more specifically read the prequel book "Before Tomorrowland" - might find this fun. A lot of the prequel book takes place around the 1939 Worlds Fair. I was cleaning up an area of the house and found some stuff of my dads which included pictures and souvenirs from the 1939 worlds fair that he apparently went to - that's him in the picture below:
Dad.jpg

There was a newspaper clipping covering the fair:
Newspaper.jpg

And then a souvenir book that had images of the different pavilions. I thought this one was cool, which was for GM as would show what a city of the future looked like ... the future being 1960:
GM building.jpg

And this one talks of a rocket port experience which was housed in the Chrysler pavilion:
Rocket Port.jpg

Lastly, I finished pulling together everything for the PA Beer Basket which will be one of the auction items at the Hershey DISmeet to raise money for Give Kids the World. Was actually fun to put together and think it will be of interest to the beer lovers in the group:
beer basket.jpg

So back to the upcoming trip .... as we have the schedule for the days pretty well laid out, I am starting to think about the plan for each day and what attractions to focus on, etc. I know having everything laid out to the minute won't really work for us, but just want to think about doing things fairly efficiently

As being in a good neighbor hotel we will have early entry to DLP on our second day. The third day, based on previous years, is likely to be a Halloween party so thinking to do DLP in the morning and then CA in the afternoon/evening (during the party). That will be the the time we plan to do WOC with the dining package at Carthay Circle. So this leaves the first day as the only morning/park opening for CA

Day 1:
Morning:
- California Adventure park opening, head right to Carsland and ride Radiator Springs Racers and/or get Fastpasses for it, depending on wait
- Ride Mater's Junkyard Jamberee and just check out the rest of
- Stop at Flo's for breakfast/snack (the brioche French Toast looks good)
- Look into do Grizzly River Run
- Head to Paradise Pier and cover that area: California Screamin', Toy Story Midway Mania, Mickey's Fun Wheel, Soarin', etc. ... not really sure of timing for RSR Fastpass and/or what else to get Fastpasses for

Lunch at Pacific Wharf and/or Paradise Pier Grill

Afternoon:
- Hop over to DLP and focus on Adventurland, Frontierland, Critter Country, and New Orleans Square
- Get Fastpass and/or ride Indiana Jones
- Jungle Cruise & Big Thunder Mountain
- Check out the boats and maybe Tom Sawyer Island if feel like the kids need to run around/burn off energy
- Fastpass/ride Splash Mountain
- Hit up Haunted Mansion and Pirates and maybe the Railroad if time

Dinner: Plan is to get ADR for Blue Bayou and do Fantasmic Package

Evening:
- Fantasmic with passes from dinner
- try to see some of parade and fireworks depending on timing of everyone and how tired we are ... may go back and watch from hotel

Day 2:
Morning:
- Early entry to DLP - head to Fantasyland and try to do as many rides as we can that don't have FP:
Peter Pan, Canal Boats, Tea Cups
- Get Fastpass for Space Mountain and/or Indy again
- Ride It's a Small World, Mr. Toads, etc.
- Hit up Toon Town, ride Roger Rabbit, etc.
- Ride Matterhorn
- Head over to Tomorrowland for Autopia, Nemo, etc.

Lunch: Cafe Orleans and/or Little Red Wagon and/or Bengal Barbecue

Afternoon:
- Back to hotel for pool time and naps

Dinner: Back to DLP and do counter service options not done for lunch

Evening:
- Watch Pain the Night and Disneyland Forever from Main St.

Day 3:
Morning:
- Disneyland Park - basically just hit up anything we hadn't gotten to yet

Lunch: go over to CA for Ariel's Grotto

Afternoon:
- California Adventure: hit up anything we hadn't yet
- more time in Carsland
- Redwood Creek Challenge Trail
- Maybe more pool time back at hotel if we want

Dinner: Carthay Circle - WOC package

Evening:
- World of Color with package

So I am sure I am missing things. Very open to thoughts on general plan and also specifics of what order to do things, what to get Fastpasses for first, etc. Know this is just a start - but hopefully a half decent one :)

Last edited:
First, just an update on the kitchen - this has turned into a way bigger job than we originally thought demo showed that the back corner of the house was basically only being supported by rotten posts (and thus not really being supported) so we had to have an engineer come in and rebuild that part. Now we found we need to re-frame the window and also figure out what to do for insulation as the exterior walls were built with 2x4 not 2x6 so regular insulation doesn't really fit. Oh well, seeing some progress but just taking longer than I hoped - we are pushing a month with not kitchen sink at this point

Ugh what a pain. But looking forward to seeing the after pictures of the project. Hang in there!

I love these! I've made 2, one for me and one for DM and min is currently hanging on my fridge. I chose the Epcot background too :thumbsup2

These are SO COOL!!! Wow!

Lastly, I finished pulling together everything for the PA Beer Basket which will be one of the auction items at the Hershey DISmeet to raise money for Give Kids the World. Was actually fun to put together and think it will be of interest to the beer lovers in the group:
beer-basket-jpg.102067

This looks great! You made one last year too didn't you?

- Ride Luigi's Flying Tires and just check out the rest of

Is this still operating?? Or is it next year they're removing it?:confused3

- Early entry to DLP - head to Fantasyland and try to do as many rides as we can that don't have FP:
Peter Pan, Canal Boats, Tea Cups
- Get Fastpass for Space Mountain and/or Indy again
- Ride It's a Small World, Mr. Toads, etc.

Totally knock out all of FL rides ASAP! And you're literally going to sprint to Peter Pan and run over anyone that gets in your way. For reals! ::yes::

- Redwood Creek Challenge Trail

This is so overlooked! It's such a cool area to visit for the kids. Glad you'll make time for this!

Sorry to hear the kitchen has turned into such a project. And about your transmission :(

Wow, cool stuff from the Worlds Fair!

Plans are looking good! Are you planning on doing any of the Frozen things? Not sure what will be around in October but something to think about factoring in!

I'm afraid I'm not much help on the Disneyland planning front (other than moral support? :-) ), but your initial plans sound good to me.

Remodel projects always take longer than expected and come with lots of surprises... I hope things start turning around and become easier. :goodvibes I can't wait to see the finished product (and I'm sure you can't, either!).

I LOVE the sticker! :thumbsup2

I also love the items from the World's Fair! How fun!

We did that sticker too! But now I have no idea what to stick it on.....

Those worlds fair items are amazingly cool! Looks like the prototype for the Epcot golf ball behind your dad in the picture.

Since we've never been to DL I'm no help, but your plans sound good to me!

Oh well, seeing some progress but just taking longer than I hoped - we are pushing a month with not kitchen sink at this point.

Oh Phil, I am so sorry this has been such a struggle.

Oh, and then the transmission went on my car so that is currently being replaced (under warranty, but still, more hassle).

Thank goodness for Warranty though. Certainly a pain, but at least it doesn't come out of the Disneyland fund.

you don't often see "free" and "Disney" in the same sentence:

No you do not.

That is really cool!!!!!!

Wow, that looks familiar!

California Adventure park opening, head right to Carsland and ride Radiator Springs Racers and/or get Fastpasses for it, depending on wait

Yup, that sounds about right. I know there is some advice out there about what side to stand on to "beat the crowd" (I think "right").

Head to Paradise Pier and cover that area: California Screamin', Toy Story Midway Mania, Mickey's Fun Wheel, Soarin',

Not that you don't know, but just as an FYI that Soarin' is in a different "land". :)

Ride It's a Small World,

Um... ok...

Plans look terrific!!! I would definitely recommend the Aladdin show if you can squeeze it in. It's fantastic!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter