PTR: A Spring Fling on the Dark Side ...2 Muggles Celebrate in Diagon Alley!

Hey shumi, the cough still hangs on but then again, so does our sub-zero weather. I am guessing I might not be fully on the mend until we get some warmth and fresh air.....or at least air that doesn't freeze your throat when you take a breath. It was -30 yesterday, on our Family Day holiday. Other than a quick trip to the Y for a swim, we didn't even bother braving the outdoors. Despite the glorious sunshine, it was just to freakishly cold. The weatherman predicts at least another 2 weeks of unseasonable cold. Fingers crossed its just cold and no more snow. We have run out of places to pile it up.

I enjoyed Prisoner of Azkhaban quite alot, actually. Surprises even me.....this Harry Potter stuff is growing on me ::yes:: . And its so nice to know the significance, now, of things like the Knight Bus. I have a feeling that our visit is going to be so much more.....enriched?....by the fact that I have started to actually learn the Harry Potter storylines. Steve gets really into it (much more than I do), and he's been known to (ahem!) go around the house speaking in a very bad British accent in the hours following our movie dates :rolleyes1 . Methinks we'll have to have a little chat about that before we watch Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire :rolleyes2 .

...sorry i'm late to chime in on this....

It's too late, I'm sure to start now to finish before your May trip; but if you like the movies, I HIGHLY recommend reading the books. They are just a million times better. I've never been a big reader ; but i LOVE those books. I enjoy the movies, but they just don't do the books justice (lets be honest, do the movies ever do the book justice?). Book 3 is my FAVORITE book in the series and I was so let down by the movie. The movie completely assumes that everyone watching has read the book. They leave out that Harry's father and friends (James, Sirius, Lupin, and Peter Pettigrew) were the makes of the Map; and that their nicknames were "Padfoot (Sirius), Mooney (Lupin), Wormtail (Peter), and Prongs (James) based on the animals they became every month when Lupin turns into a werewolf so they could still be with him. They just left all of that out! But I had to chime in on that; because there's just so much more in each book; and they're really easy reads since they are technically children's books. ....haha, as a side note, when the last book came out, I worked that day, and went home to read some and had plans to attend a party. I sat down to read "just a little" and the next time I looked up at the clock it was past midnight and thought "Hmm, guess I'm not going to the party". They just suck you right in.......or they did me, anyway!

Hello hello hello
I was a bit disappointed as I have not seen a trip report. As we have been debating on Disney and Universal I ran into this tonight. I am all caught up and am so happy I ran into this report.

A couple of quick notes for you. Sweet tomatoes was our favourite meal when we went last year and is on our must do again. Fresh breads and soups. There is lots of coupons all over. I think I paid 35 for all five of us when we went last year. Worth every penny.

As you know I am always trying to find a deal especially with the Canadian dollar tanking. In saying that Aquatica had $19 days in September and October last year. Just some food for thought in case it doesn't work for this trip. I will be following religiously now that I know there is a trip report going. I may also have a few questions about sky auction of you don't mind helping out.

Hey there tristyp, good to hear from you again!! I hope all is well with you :goodvibes .

I must admit, I'm very excited to give Sweet Tomatoes a go. I have yet to hear one person speak negatively of their experience there....and on these boards, that's sayin' something ::yes:: . We plan to have lunch their on our arrival day, since we touch down just before 11 am and will probably be hungry enough to do it justice. I will sign up for their email club a couple of weeks before we travel so hopefully I will have one of the BOGO offers sent to me that I have heard so much about.

We've been keeping our eyes peeled for the Aquatica tickets, too.....if a great deal comes out for May, I would have no hesitation in snagging some discounted admission passes :thumbsup2 . If not, then we'll do a beach day instead (also awesome....I simply adore the ocean :cloud9: . They had $8 tickets for certain dates in February and March to celebrate their 8th anniversary. Can you imagine??? $8?? :worship:

Any questions you have about Skyauction, fire away. I am no expert yet, but I'm learning alot along the way this time!

Glad you enjoyed the film, it is good. I do think you can absolutely enjoy HP areas without knowing a thing about them, but yep, if you know the stories and background it will enrich the experience.

Would love to hear his accent though lol.......I hear some corkers from people who "think" they can do a Scottish accent.........:o one guy was so alarming I backed away from him......don`t know why he was shouting....lol......all good fun though.....I do a mean New York accent according to my cousins who live there........maybe they were being nice though :ssst:

If I was a betting woman, I would say your New York accent is better than Steve's British one....I mean, I love the big guy, but a Brit he is most definitely not :rotfl2: .

Now a Dutch accent? He has that one down pat. His parents and grandparents are straight from Holland so he's had years to listen and perfect that one!

...sorry i'm late to chime in on this....

It's too late, I'm sure to start now to finish before your May trip; but if you like the movies, I HIGHLY recommend reading the books. They are just a million times better. I've never been a big reader ; but i LOVE those books. I enjoy the movies, but they just don't do the books justice (lets be honest, do the movies ever do the book justice?). Book 3 is my FAVORITE book in the series and I was so let down by the movie. The movie completely assumes that everyone watching has read the book. They leave out that Harry's father and friends (James, Sirius, Lupin, and Peter Pettigrew) were the makes of the Map; and that their nicknames were "Padfoot (Sirius), Mooney (Lupin), Wormtail (Peter), and Prongs (James) based on the animals they became every month when Lupin turns into a werewolf so they could still be with him. They just left all of that out! But I had to chime in on that; because there's just so much more in each book; and they're really easy reads since they are technically children's books. ....haha, as a side note, when the last book came out, I worked that day, and went home to read some and had plans to attend a party. I sat down to read "just a little" and the next time I looked up at the clock it was past midnight and thought "Hmm, guess I'm not going to the party". They just suck you right in.......or they did me, anyway!

Ah, reading.....I remember when life was a little less chaotic and I actually had time to pick up a book!!

I am definitely not averse to indulging in a Harry Potter novel (I love, love, LOVE a good book!), but I'm guessing it will be a summer activity and not something I can do before May. It will sure help when I can redirect the time we've spent shovelling and dealing with the slowdowns of winter.

Or maybe I'll purchase one for our beach day on our trip . There's something about stretching out on a beach towel, in the sunshine, with the waves crashing in and a good book in hand that sounds v-e-r-y appealing ::yes:: .

Thursday, April 30th: after cleaning house and one final round of laundry in the morning, we'll depart for Syracuse sometime in the afternoon. Cracker Barrel is my must-do for dinner, since we should be rolling into Syracuse at just the perfect time to enjoy a relaxing evening meal. It’s been a couple of years since we worked Cracker Barrel into one of our trips (it’s not one of Jake's favourites) so with the kiddo left behind, we thought it would be the perfect place for our first night dinner. It’s one of the many American chains that we don’t have here at home, so its novel for us Canucks.

Our park and fly hotel is the Holiday Inn Express Syracuse Airport. It has an indoor pool (and hot tub, I think?), so we will be able to enjoy a swim before retiring for the night. Our flight is at 8 am the next morning, so it will be early to bed ... assuming, of course, we can sleep .

HI Gina! I just have a question for you regarding your flight.. based on your photos I'm assuming you're from the Toronto area. If you don't mind me asking, why do you fly out of Syracuse instead of Buffalo or even Toronto?

HI Gina! I just have a question for you regarding your flight.. based on your photos I'm assuming you're from the Toronto area. If you don't mind me asking, why do you fly out of Syracuse instead of Buffalo or even Toronto?

We're from the Quinte area, actually....much closer to Kingston that Toronto.

Its a shorter (and significantly easier) drive to Syracuse than to Buffalo for us. Especially not having to deal with that dreadful Toronto traffic. That said, we have flown from all 3 airports you mentioned....and even this year, we're flying from SYR in May, BUF in October, and ??? in December (but I'm guessing not Toronto.....with Westjet at $850 pp return PLUS seat selection and baggage, no thanks!).

We much prefer flying from the US airports, even if the flight costs are the same as Toronto. We prefer clearing customs in the car versus at the airport. We prefer the small, easy to navigate airports to the busier, larger, more chaotic Pearson. And we adore Jetblue.....so its worth the little extra time in the car to fly with an airline that we enjoy using. I am just crossing my fingers that they don't price us out of flying them at Christmas time!! After seeing Westjet's prices for December, I'm terrified!! lol

Ah, reading.....I remember when life was a little less chaotic and I actually had time to pick up a book!!

I am definitely not averse to indulging in a Harry Potter novel (I love, love, LOVE a good book!), but I'm guessing it will be a summer activity and not something I can do before May. It will sure help when I can redirect the time we've spent shovelling and dealing with the slowdowns of winter.

Or maybe I'll purchase one for our beach day on our trip . There's something about stretching out on a beach towel, in the sunshine, with the waves crashing in and a good book in hand that sounds v-e-r-y appealing ::yes:: .

I know all too well, life certainly gets in the way of reading for everyone. My new years resoloution was to reread the series....one week left in feb. and I'm still not (but close) done with book 1....and it's the shortest book....but be careful, once you start, they become very addictive. And advantage though, to reading them now, not having to wait 4-5 years for the next book to be released. (I'm giving away my age, sorry...) I was in Jr High when the books came out and I started reading them, the last one came out after I had graduated from college. :)

Ok, I will be the one who adored Sweet Tomatoes but when we went to the one next to Universal in December last year, we will never set forth in there again. What we had was a great meal the year before, but this last time, it was really bad. If you want a great place near Universal, then try the teak Wood places. Both locations are really good bar food. My kids still talk about eating at the Teak neighborhood Bar and restaurant. The hamburger was awesome and the cheese rounds were huge stretchy cheese rounds the size of a big hockey puck.

Hopefully if you go to Sweet, it will be like the first time we went.

Stay warm my friend. We have more snow and freezing rain to enjoy this week-end. Oh, and today it was 0 degrees F this morning. My face actually hurt.

We have all the potter books, I think I have only read parts. I did see all the movies, so I was more familiar with all the stuff in Universal. Since the movies and books have been out for some time, the prices have really dropped on both, so you should be able to pick up both at a reasonable price.

Oh, and we may be Canada bound again this summer, to do the soccer tournament another year. The coach likes the tournament as he can then vacation at his parents' cabin on the lake in Canada. If so, maybe we can say hello closer to your hometown.

Gina I just found a good car rental rate through my credit card rewards site. I know you mentioned we use the same bank. So if you have their rewards Visa, go through their booking engine to check your car rentals. The best part is that you can apply your points to the balance AND the quotes are in Canadian so no surprises there. I used them for my last trip.
Tonight I am seeing about $170 for my week for a full-size with Budget or Avis. I am having trouble deciding if I should bite the bullet or wait it out.

I would have pm'd you all of this but I tried for a few minutes and realized that since the board has changed over.. I don't know how to pm anymore!:confused3. I'm sure it's simple but I just can't figure it out.:rotfl:

Ok, I will be the one who adored Sweet Tomatoes but when we went to the one next to Universal in December last year, we will never set forth in there again. What we had was a great meal the year before, but this last time, it was really bad. If you want a great place near Universal, then try the teak Wood places. Both locations are really good bar food. My kids still talk about eating at the Teak neighborhood Bar and restaurant. The hamburger was awesome and the cheese rounds were huge stretchy cheese rounds the size of a big hockey puck.

Hopefully if you go to Sweet, it will be like the first time we went.

Stay warm my friend. We have more snow and freezing rain to enjoy this week-end. Oh, and today it was 0 degrees F this morning. My face actually hurt.

We have all the potter books, I think I have only read parts. I did see all the movies, so I was more familiar with all the stuff in Universal. Since the movies and books have been out for some time, the prices have really dropped on both, so you should be able to pick up both at a reasonable price.

Aw, I am sorry that your most recent Sweet Tomatoes visit was a bust. What was it in particular that turned you off? The food quality? Service? And the location you tried the first time.....was it the same one (near Uni?) or the one in the Crossroads near DTD? (the latter is likely the one we will hit up, as its so close to the Vistana)

We're in the throes of more snow as well. Sigh. As if the -35 degrees Celsius wasn't enough. :sad2: I hope you don't have to travel too far over the course of the weekend, and can stay inside and warm too!

Spring cannot come soon enough for me :flower1: .

Oh, and we may be Canada bound again this summer, to do the soccer tournament another year. The coach likes the tournament as he can then vacation at his parents' cabin on the lake in Canada. If so, maybe we can say hello closer to your hometown.

Absolutely!!! :banana: :cool1: :woohoo:

Any idea where the tournament is being held?

Gina I just found a good car rental rate through my credit card rewards site. I know you mentioned we use the same bank. So if you have their rewards Visa, go through their booking engine to check your car rentals. The best part is that you can apply your points to the balance AND the quotes are in Canadian so no surprises there. I used them for my last trip.
Tonight I am seeing about $170 for my week for a full-size with Budget or Avis. I am having trouble deciding if I should bite the bullet or wait it out.

I would have pm'd you all of this but I tried for a few minutes and realized that since the board has changed over.. I don't know how to pm anymore!:confused3. I'm sure it's simple but I just can't figure it out.:rotfl:

Well heck, I didn't even know that car rental option even existed.....thank you for the awesome tip!!!

I looked up rates for our May dates on that site, and we're still in the $400+ range :scared: but its worth keeping an eye on them as we get closer. $170 Canadian would be tough to pass up.....the exchange rate is making a HUGE difference in overall cost. And at this stage, much as we prefer Alamo to all others, I won't even be picky on the agency as long as its a major name and located within the airport. With three trips this year, I can't afford to be fussy!!

As for the PM's.....I think you have to click on the person's avatar, and a list of options comes up (one of which is "start a conversation"....which replaces a private message). I *think*, but don't quote me (lol....no pun intended :rotfl2:).

Well heck, I didn't even know that car rental option even existed.....thank you for the awesome tip!!!

I looked up rates for our May dates on that site, and we're still in the $400+ range :scared: but its worth keeping an eye on them as we get closer. $170 Canadian would be tough to pass up.....the exchange rate is making a HUGE difference in overall cost. And at this stage, much as we prefer Alamo to all others, I won't even be picky on the agency as long as its a major name and located within the airport. With three trips this year, I can't afford to be fussy!!

As for the PM's.....I think you have to click on the person's avatar, and a list of options comes up (one of which is "start a conversation"....which replaces a private message). I *think*, but don't quote me (lol....no pun intended :rotfl2:).

Perfect Gina , thank you!!
That "Start a Conversation" didn't have the word "Private" in it and I was concerned lol. Not that I am pm'ing weird things but sometimes you don't want all of the info out on the boards.

Anyway, I stumbled on that car rental option in November last year trying to see what we could get for our points. It never occurred to me it would be cheaper than all of the codes and tricks I knew , but it was.. and it is again. The hard part is deciding to bite the bullet and prepay. However it does say that you can cancel or change one time with a points reservation for a $10 fee. So if I found something amazing and cheap after the fact there is that option.
It was really high until last night when Budget and Avis dropped. I had budgeted $180 for this trip so I think I am as close as I will get. I did end up booking with Avis. Do keep an eye on the site. I am going to call and find out if we can have our Avis Preferred number added to the reservation. I'll let you know if you can add Loyalty programs. It would be nice to skip the line, but I am thinking it's likely a no.

Glad I took the time to catch up with you, Gina. Good ideas always! Never heard of Shrekfast, but dh is curious about the Gaylord Palms, so we may give it a go. The kids' theatre group did "Shrek the Musical" last year, and we have a soft spot in our hearts for the big green guy as a result.

You have just started the HP movies?? Gasp!! :eek: That's what brought us to Universal. The books are really great, we've read them several time each (except dh, who still hasn't read the last one--but he never reads fiction, so it's a major deal that dd talked him into trying them). We have been listening lately, got the audiobooks from the public library, and I think I like listening even better than reading, because you get all the great detail and sub plots of the books, but we listen together, so can "share" the way we do with a movie. We plan to listen on the long drive to NH to get our flights. Jim Dale does the reading, and he's super--has a voice for every character. Anyway, might be fun to have in the car or for Saturday morning puttering around the house or whatever.

Also we've done a Disney cruise, 7 years ago now...will give you my thoughts another time. In general I liked it, but we had the smallest category inside cabin with the four of us in it, so that coloured my experience!! :scared:

Oh, another question for you--Universal video podcasts? Care to share a link?

Last edited:
Hey Gina!

I've been "off the grid" lately, but was very happy to see your latest pre-trip report in full swing!I'm excited for you and your husband. It sounds like a great trip! I may take the kids down for a quick Orlando visit the week of Easter. It will probably just be a 1-2 night resort trip (I have some Marriott points) plus maybe Wonder Works/Outta Control Magic Show again and maybe one other thing. The other option is a dolphin encounter at Marineland and some St. Augustine sites.

I will stay tuned and absorb all the Gina nuggets of knowledge as you plan and enjoy your trip! I still hope to hit Universal in the near future.

Bye!
JaxDad

Hey Gina!

I've been "off the grid" lately, but was very happy to see your latest pre-trip report in full swing!I'm excited for you and your husband. It sounds like a great trip! I may take the kids down for a quick Orlando visit the week of Easter. It will probably just be a 1-2 night resort trip (I have some Marriott points) plus maybe Wonder Works/Outta Control Magic Show again and maybe one other thing. The other option is a dolphin encounter at Marineland and some St. Augustine sites.

I will stay tuned and absorb all the Gina nuggets of knowledge as you plan and enjoy your trip! I still hope to hit Universal in the near future.

Bye!
JaxDad

Hey JaxDad, good to see you again!

I am envious of your proximity to Orlando....I would give my right arm to be close enough to squeeze in a one or two night trip whenever the spirit moved me (lol, the spirit would move me often, I can assure you!). Sounds like you have a fun little trip planned :thumbsup2 . Do the kiddos know yet, or are you planning on surprising them?

St. Augustine is on my to-do list....I think it was you, actually, who planted that idea in my head in the process of my other trip report. Let's just say I've been totally sucked in.....the photos of the town are so charming. Unfortunately, we can't squeeze it in to the itinerary for May, but I'm thinking I want to add it to our October trip. Looks like the perfect place for a "couples" day....the architecture is stunning! (and there's a beach....what's not to love?)

Looking forward to having you along for the next 9 weeks as I whittle down the time. :goodvibes

Niagara Falls - usually at the state park on the US side.

Niagara Falls....my favourite Ontario getaway!! (love the New York State Park side, too.....the Cave of the Winds is the best Falls attraction, hands down)

If there's anyway we can make it up that weekend, I'm totally in. We can have an ice cream date at Twist of the Mist :sunny: .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter