Pros and Cons on Saratoga Springs?

We really really like SSR and like the location of it. We've stayed at all of the moderates, half of the deluxes and a handful of the DVC resorts and SSR is towards the top of our list of preferences.

We stayed in the Congress Park area which was a healthy walk from the Grandstand area but was also a nice (and very enjoyable) walk to DTD. We didn't overlook any of the DTD hotels and didn't even notice them on our walk to DTD. We've only stayed in a studio at SSR with our first one bedroom visit coming up in December. It does feel a little 'removed' from the WDW atmosphere but not so much that you lose that WDW feeling.

This was a view from our balcony as the sun was coming up -
SSR_Sunrise.jpg

Another view from our balcony towards the little courtyard behind our room. There was a quiet pool directly behind the courtyard.
SSRView.jpg

The view on the walkway heading towards DTD -
DTD.jpg

What the front of our building looked like at night -
CP.jpg

It isn't for everyone but that is one thing that is great about WDW resorts - there are so many different types that there is something for everyone.

My only complaint is that the set-up for the counter service is a little small when ordering any paying for your food and shares space with the gift shop. Other than that our stay was wonderful!

It was timely finding this thread as we are leaving on Friday for a six night stay at SSR. It will be our first time there but have done WDW many times and liked every resort we have tried. We are not DVC members and booked our trip relatively late (Mid-April). We had lots of resorts to choose from including other DVC properties. I don't know if our rate is discounted but I hate to think that it is as it will be the most we have ever paid on property! I do know that the only DVC resort that wasn't available was the one at Animal Kingdom and that the rate we are paying wasn't the cheapest in this category. I am not sure what is meant by being close to the "outside world" at SSR ... I thought DTD was part of WDW ... and the hotels on Hotel Plaza Blvd. are on the property as well! At any rate I know that we will love it ... it is Disney after all. We are adults who will be moving at a very leisurely vacation pace so not really interested in being the first to the parks each day ... we will park our car and take the busses. I love the bus rides, great for relaxing, winding down, and people watching! Besides when we indulge in some sweet tropical treats with umbrellas in them while we dine at Ohana I plan to let Disney get me "home" safe and sound! :cool1:

I've stayed at all of the deluxe and DVC resorts except for BC, BCV, GF, WL (stayed at VWL) and AKLV (stayed at AKL). After staying at all of those very nice resorts I still really like SSR, I would even prefer staying there over VWL. I, personally, like that it's near DtD; it makes it easier to make transfers to other resorts. We also like TL, so that's another reason SSR is a good match for us.

We've stayed all the way back in the Paddocks, and we still didn't feel the walk to the main building was excessive. We didn't have a car with us, but even if we did we wouldn't have driven to the front.

We've done SSR many times without a car, and it was never a problem. I would have rather had a car at BW, OKW and WL. I've never had a problem with the busses at SSR, I can't say that about those three resorts.

I like the restaurants at SSR, and I don't mind that they don't have room service because all of the room service I've had on property has been terrible. To someone who said they didn't have bathrobes, neither does any of the other DVC rooms or deluxe rooms, besides those that are on CL (except for possibly the GF).

I've also have never seen trash left in the hallways at SSR, but I have at most of the other resorts. I'm not saying that it has never happened, but it's a resort wide problem, and it's more common at the resorts that have room service.

I like SSR, and it isn't for its proximity to Gooding's :thumbsup2 .

I've enjoyed reading this thread since we'll be staying at SSR for the first time next month. We pretty much pick our resort based on the pool so our first choice would have been BCV. We stayed there before and loved it. Since we changed plans pretty late in the game SSR was the only thing available. I didn't know much about it, but after researching and looking at the photos, we are really excited. The pool looks really nice.

We've request the Springs section so we can get there quickly with our kids. We always have our car while at WDW and we drive or use Disney transportation based on where we are going.

Since I run marathons I can hardly complain about long walks so I'm really not concerned. Anyway, if you stay at BCV's, you are still pretty far from Stormalongbay. The walk is mostly indoors, but it is still a long walk. You can't get a farther walk than the self-parking from the GF. You really end up walking a long way where ever you are on property. If you want a short walk to anywhere you are going, we found that on our Disney Cruise.:)

I just booked yesterday with an AP rate and I am really happy to be staying at SSR, I think being near DTD will be an adavntage for us for getting around to other resorts and DD is really excited about the pool, can't wait.

When they first started building SSR I was so sure I wasn't interested in it at all. As more and more sections started going up and the landscaping went in, however, I became intruiged. So much so that when we decided to add an extra day to the front of our last vacation we chose Saratoga Springs. We LOVED it! Peaceful, quiet, lovely furnishings and beautiful grounds. Guess where we picked for our January vacation? SSR! I'm glad it's so big, as I don't think we have to worry too much about getting a 1BR at 7 months out. We can't wait to go back!!

I have not stayed there, but it is pretty close to the MK resort. When I stayed at POR I was surprised at how close that was to MK, taking the "shortcut" past Ft. Wilderness into the MK lot. It is certainly a quicker drive that the ride from CSR.

Also, being close to Downtown Disney could be nice, especially if you are on the meal plan and want to take advantage of some of those restaurants. When I have stayed at CSR the drive over to Downtown Disney is long enough that I end up going there just once per trip.

I like outside entrances and spread out places, so SSR was a big hit with me the first time I stayed there. I liked it enough to buy DVC with SSR as my home resort. I hope to vist all the DVC resorts, but I am completely happy staying at SSR anytime. And I agree with the OP who said the ride from CSR and All Stars to MK is longer than the ride from SSR. It is a lot longer.

The rooms are beautiful. I just stayed in a 2 BR and that was fantastic. We had such an awesome stay my DH and I just made a reservation to go back in December for a few nights~:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter