Progress of the Triumph

ANYONE can sue for any reason.. THey have to "Prove" cause and effect.

So thankful everyone got off the ship safely. And so glad to hear that passengers are singing the praises of the crew. I'm sure the crew all worked very hard to make the best out of a very bad situation and that they took the brunt of all the complaints as well.

I was discussing this with a friend the other day and she also questioned why not transfer everyone another ship. I relayed the story of our last cruise where a family missed the ship in Belize. They were told that if they could hire a boat, they could meet the ship out by the pilot house before the ship hit open water. An hour later, we all witnessed this family of 5 transfere from the pilot boat to the ship It was not pretty as they put life vests on the family and had them take a risky step over to the ship. (I was also secretly thanking God that I did not go to that last gift shop and possibly miss the ship!!!) I'm sure this is not an option at all in open waters.

Good luck and safe travels to all!

ANYONE can sue for any reason.. THey have to "Prove" cause and effect.

Reminds me of one of my favourite Phil Hartman characters from Saturday Night Live. He did a spoof of a commercial for a law firm specializing in frivolous claims. One of the "actors" would say " I always wanted to sue someone, but thought I needed a reason" and Hartman's character would answer "Not So!".

It was hilarious!

Embel said:
"Loss of enjoyment of life"

That's a thing??

A thing you can sue for?

Among other things yes. Unfortunately in our sue happy world you can sue for just about anything. Remember the McDonalds hot coffee? Another one I've heard of is loss of intimacy to put it mildly.

In ALL of our cruises, I think we've only had TWO hosts who really went above and beyond. Our beloved friend Rodolfo on Disney, and one on another line. . .
Rodolfo was our steward on the Magic twice. He has a great attitude and personality -- simply outstanding.

Woody

Rodolfo is a great CM!!!

I appreciate this thread with all the information contained in it. Thanks, Tonka, Truck and others keeping us informed.

"Loss of enjoyment of life"

That's a thing??

A thing you can sue for?

I hope whoever it is that has filed the suite gets thrown out at the first hearing and charged for the courts time, and Carnivals for such a rediculous thing that one cannot quantify.

Heres a couple of things to help clarify some of the regulations regarding lifeboats SOLAS etc.
SOLAS is the name of the rules and regulations that govern all water borne craft from a certain size and weight on up. It basically spells out what the ships will be made of, carry, safety gear etc.
The Maritime Safety Committee, is one of the committees that regulates and writes the SOLAS requirements, based on past history and trends. Alot of times they will be proactive in their rules, though generally they are reactive. Examples would be ships can only carry a certain amount of combustible materials onboard, such as stairs, decking etc. This came about as a result of the Star Princess fire, where a fire in 1 cabins balcony, jumped horizontally as well as vertically on the outside of the ship, and entered the ship causing a lot of damage to the ship. Now, either the balconies have sprinklers installed (not in effect at the time of the fire) fire detection devices added or all combustible/Flammable materials removed and replaced with approved materials.

Lifeboats.
There are 3 different types of lifeboats.
The big orange/yellow(depends on the line as to color.Regs state that they are to be be of a high visibility color) ones that hang in davits over the promenade decks, life rafts which are stored in white containers that look like large pills, and inflate when they hit the water or just before launching, and rescue boats. On some ships, a rescue boat can be part of a lifeboat count.
All ships must carry enough aggregate capacity between the 3, to account for 150% of the ships total capacity per side. The total capacity of the lifeboats/rafts is roughly 300% of the ships total capacity.

The launching mechanisms are to be of either gravity/brake system or a stored power system(stored batteries that are charged at all times by the ship to independently power the davits)

Muster drill are now held prior to the ship leaving port.
Crew abandon ship drills are to be held every other week. If a crew member misses 1 drill, he/she is required to make the next one. This is to keep them participating at least 1x per month.

I hope whoever it is that has filed the suite gets thrown out at the first hearing and charged for the courts time, and Carnivals for such a rediculous thing that one cannot quantify.

I don't know...anyone watching Channel 4 - Rock Center with Brian Williams? This ship has had problems before.

Also, as part of the law suits regarding Concordia (owned by Carnival) a judge authorized a seizure of another Carnival ship - the Triumph. US Marshals boarded it (they had video of that) and impounded it because it was not safe (so says the atty interviewed). They seized the ship, held it, Carnival had to pay $10 mil to get it back. It was out on bail.

To be fair, this is coming from the attorney representing Concordia passengers. Doesn't think anyone traveling on the Triumph new it had been seized and 'out on bail'.

:confused3 Shall be interesting. I know we have some great detectives on here that will get all the facts out about all that.

More passengers stating how great the crew was! That makes me so happy everytime I hear a comment like that about the crew!

My cousin sailed The Triumph in December. The cast off was delayed till 9/9:30. They missed Cozumel because of it. We knew it wasn't delayed because of the fog, but Carnival never gave a reason. The passengers weren't even allowed to board till after 7 even though the previous passengers had disembarked at the normal time. We can only assume that the delay was a mechanical issue.

Heres a couple of things to help clarify some of the regulations regarding lifeboats SOLAS etc.
SOLAS is the name of the rules and regulations that govern all water borne craft from a certain size and weight on up. It basically spells out what the ships will be made of, carry, safety gear etc.
The Maritime Safety Committee, is one of the committees that regulates and writes the SOLAS requirements, based on past history and trends. Alot of times they will be proactive in their rules, though generally they are reactive. Examples would be ships can only carry a certain amount of combustible materials onboard, such as stairs, decking etc. This came about as a result of the Star Princess fire, where a fire in 1 cabins balcony, jumped horizontally as well as vertically on the outside of the ship, and entered the ship causing a lot of damage to the ship. Now, either the balconies have sprinklers installed (not in effect at the time of the fire) fire detection devices added or all combustible/Flammable materials removed and replaced with approved materials.

Lifeboats.
There are 3 different types of lifeboats.
The big orange/yellow(depends on the line as to color.Regs state that they are to be be of a high visibility color) ones that hang in davits over the promenade decks, life rafts which are stored in white containers that look like large pills, and inflate when they hit the water or just before launching, and rescue boats. On some ships, a rescue boat can be part of a lifeboat count.
All ships must carry enough aggregate capacity between the 3, to account for 150% of the ships total capacity per side. The total capacity of the lifeboats/rafts is roughly 300% of the ships total capacity.

The launching mechanisms are to be of either gravity/brake system or a stored power system(stored batteries that are charged at all times by the ship to independently power the davits)

Muster drill are now held prior to the ship leaving port.
Crew abandon ship drills are to be held every other week. If a crew member misses 1 drill, he/she is required to make the next one. This is to keep them participating at least 1x per month.

Thanks for the update Truck. See I learned something new again.

Now there are 2 reasons to disagree with the newer cruise muster drill and lifeboats regs.

1. Lifevests should be worn to all drills.

2. Lifeboats should be able to operate without any power. To many things can go wrong with powered falls.

JMHO!

AKK

I don't know...anyone watching Channel 4 - Rock Center with Brian Williams? This ship has had problems before.

Also, as part of the law suits regarding Concordia (owned by Carnival) a judge authorized a seizure of another Carnival ship - the Triumph. US Marshals boarded it (they had video of that) and impounded it because it was not safe (so says the atty interviewed). They seized the ship, held it, Carnival had to pay $10 mil to get it back. It was out on bail.

To be fair, this is coming from the attorney representing Concordia passengers. Doesn't think anyone traveling on the Triumph new it had been seized and 'out on bail'.

:confused3 Shall be interesting. I know we have some great detectives on here that will get all the facts out about all that.

More passengers stating how great the crew was! That makes me so happy everytime I hear a comment like that about the crew!

The seizure of the Triumph had nothing to do with safety issues. The lawyer who runs the site "Crews Law News" is typically ready to throw the cruise industry under the bus for anything and everything but even he said it was a ridiculous legal ploy.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2012/0...oncordia-disaster-seize-the-carnival-triumph/

Yes, a lot of us knew about the seizure when it happened, it was all over the news. Typical lawyer maneuver to bring publicity to his case; that's what they get paid for.

This had nothing to due with the safety of the trumph...it is a standard legal tool to arrest a ship to force the owners to put up a bond or *letter of undertaking*(a letter garrenting they have the funds to cover any future monetary award) to cover claims in a lawsuit. In this case the Concordia.

It was also done with the media present to get attention.

When I have been involved with the this, the claiment's atty calls(abid at the last minute) the vessels owner's atty or P and I (insurance rep.) to tell them they have a warrent for X amount of money and are arresting the ship. If they don't reach a agreement the claimment's atty arrives at the vessel, usually with the vessel owner's atty right behind. The warrent is served and then they all sit down and work out a figure and agreement.

If they don't the vessel sits. However they usually do work it out.

Never a media person around.!

AKK

This morning, the Today Show reported that the Triumph was being brought in for repairs. Really? Would anybody in their right mind sail on the Triumph again?? I would imagine Carnival would have to at the very least rename the ship and overhaul it pretty darn good.

This morning, the Today Show reported that the Triumph was being brought in for repairs. Really? Would anybody in their right mind sail on the Triumph again?? I would imagine Carnival would have to at the very least rename the ship and overhaul it pretty darn good.

Most know I am far from a fan of Carnival Line or Carnival Inc., now with that said, my guess would be that the vessel will have a herd of inspectors, surveyors, examiners, investigation maritime people going though EVERYTHING onboard. She is going to be put under a microscope!

After all the refit, repairs, changes and reqiurements are done,she will likely be the safest vessel in Carnivals fleet it not the world!

Just saying.

AKK

Most know I am far from a fan of Carnival Line or Carnival Inc., now with that said, my guess would be that the vessel will have a herd of inspectors, surveyors, examiners, investigation maritime people going though EVERYTHING onboard.

After all the refit, repairs, changes and reqiurements are done,she will likely be the safest vessel in Carnivals fleet it not the world!

Just saying.

AKK

Possibly...but with the bad PR and juju associated with this incident, wouldn't it be prudent for them to at least rename the ship (and maybe give it a killer makeover)? Kind of like how airlines sometimes retire a flight number after a crash. I believe US Airways no longer uses 1549 (The Miracle on the Hudson flight).

While I have stated it is HIGHLY unlikely I would ever cruise at all (I'd love to, it's just a vacation plan with some variables like what happened here that I cannot risk...for now) if I were going to cruise it wouldn't be on the Triumph. For starters, no matter how well they cleaned it I'd be thinking about the raw sewage etc.

Just sayin'.

PizzieDuster said:

It wasn't that the ship was unsafe. Saw that article the other night. It was because someone (relative of someone who died)filed a law suit and convinced a judge to hold the ship as collateral in the Concordia issue. Carnival reached an undisclosed settlement for her to sail.

Possibly...but with the bad PR and juju associated with this incident, wouldn't it be prudent for them to at least rename the ship (and maybe give it a killer makeover)? Kind of like how airlines sometimes retire a flight number after a crash. I believe US Airways no longer uses 1549 (The Miracle on the Hudson flight).

While I have stated it is HIGHLY unlikely I would ever cruise at all (I'd love to, it's just a vacation plan with some variables like what happened here that I cannot risk...for now) if I were going to cruise it wouldn't be on the Triumph. For starters, no matter how well they cleaned it I'd be thinking about the raw sewage etc.

Just sayin'.

Your point is well taken and its a personal thing. I can certainly understand the juju part!

AKK

Tonka's Skipper said:
Thanks for the update Truck. See I learned something new again.

Now there are 2 reasons to disagree with the newer cruise muster drill and lifeboats regs.

1. Lifevests should be worn to all drills.

2. Lifeboats should be able to operate without any power. To many things can go wrong with powered falls.

JMHO!

AKK

I agree. We were talking about that in class yesterday. If it was made by man it can fail.
I don't understand the no LJ reasoning either. All its going to take is someone on a ship who has to wear one for an emergency and die because they put it on wrong. (Though if I had to guess its lawyer driven. Hasn't happened before and people are tripping do they need them?)

I don't agree withe the backup power either for the lb. Doesn't make sense.

Just sayin'.

As a non-cruiser, you probably think differently about it than us cruisers do. Those of us who cruise Carnival are not going to care unless this is proven human error. Accidents happen and anyone who cruises has (or at least should have) thought about what can/will happen in the event something goes wrong. This doesn't change my mind about cruising, nor does it impact my opinion about Carnival....yet. I'll wait until the results are in. There are a LOT of fires at sea, you just don't hear about them until they result in something "newsworthy"; and any of them have the potential for that outcome.

As far as renaming the ship, people sail on the Carnival Splendor every day. And the Azamara Quest. They would still sail the Costa Allegra but it was scrapped. Here is an interesting report I found, scroll down to the Appendix, which starts on page 34. You'll never want to cruise!!! ;)

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/Senate2012.pdf

The Triumph, if it stays in service, will get a total overhaul and there will be NO remaining evidence of the damage from the fire or its aftermath.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter