Problems upgrading Child to Adult on DDP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I thought Tinkerpea had originally said that she had upgraded her kids which is what I'd done and the servers were fine (but sometimes said something to the effect of "what, he's an adult?") so I was confused and I thought you were saying that we couldn't upgrade. Sorry, I'm too confused and muddling things for everyone ! :lmao: Time to go away and have more coffee! :lmao:

You didn't confuse anyone - Disney does a great job of doing that with all the various option :rotfl: :goodvibes

Sorry, I thought Tinkerpea had originally said that she had upgraded her kids which is what I'd done and the servers were fine (but sometimes said something to the effect of "what, he's an adult?") so I was confused and I thought you were saying that we couldn't upgrade. Sorry, I'm too confused and muddling things for everyone ! :lmao: Time to go away and have more coffee! :lmao:

I did say that??? Now I'm fully confused, I Did say that I upgraded my children to the adult plan I was only giving my experience of upgrading the kids and the only issues we incurred was , the servers at some TS meals asked the age of the kids and said they thought we had the wrong plan put on our card ( adult instead of child plan) when i told them the kids wanted to eat adult meals some of the time they said ok and carried on letting us split the adult meals between the kids if they wasn't that hungry.

No I didn't misunderstand :goodvibes

You upgraded no problem because flights were not included, as detailed in my earlier post.

Regarding ordering adult meals for children on a child's plan, all I was pointing out is that it is in violation of Disney's DDP terms and conditions which are clearly stated on the brochure and on their website. I don't challenge that servers did this so I'm not questioning Tinkerpea who is simply relating her own experience. All I am saying is it is seen as bad form to pay for one thing and then claim something else. Tinkerpea, this is not a knock at you - I'm just stating the facts because there seems to be a lot of confusion about this. If you changed your children's ages by calling Disney then that is a different matter as they would than have been on the correct plan for the meals they were ordering. But as you confirmed, yours was not flight inclusive and that is what stops guests from changing ages. It's the TA and airline that are unable to implement this, not Disney's own policy.

Sorry I think you have confused yourself and read what input wrong,
I said that I upgraded my children and that I had no issues doing it, I also added the only issues at meals was the servers asking the kids ages but still giving the kids the adult meals as per what was on our room key, this is why I don't understand why the servers are risking their jobs they are doing what I have paid for?

Sorry I think you have confused yourself and read what input wrong,
I said that I upgraded my children and that I had no issues doing it, I also added the only issues at meals was the servers asking the kids ages but still giving the kids the adult meals as per what was on our room key, this is why I don't understand why the servers are risking their jobs they are doing what I have paid for?

Yes, you're right, that was the part I was referring to and read it the first time that your kids were on kids plans but given adult meals. It was when you said in the next post that you had upgraded them that I realized they must have been on adult DDP. There are a few different aspects of the discussion going on at the same time on this thread and I associated that with the reference on a post a few prior to yours that kids can just order adult meals - which they cannot - and that is where my reference to servers risking their jobs come from, so apologies for any confusion (or offence) that may have been taken from my post.

Yes, you're right, that was the part I was referring to and read it the first time that your kids were on kids plans but given adult meals. It was when you said in the next post that you had upgraded them that I realized they must have been on adult DDP. There are a few different aspects of the discussion going on at the same time on this thread and I associated that with the reference on a post a few prior to yours that kids can just order adult meals - which they cannot - and that is where my reference to servers risking their jobs come from, so apologies for any confusion (or offence) that may have been taken from my post.

Yes I have never said that my kids was on kids plans, I put in my 1st post on this thread that I upgraded my kids,

When it comes to people saying about kids eating adult meals they have only referred to the QS aspect of it not the TS part of the plan so that still would not implicate any server? As they would not know who's credits was what as per the QS system so the server wouldn't get into any trouble

Hi Guys

I have phoned Disney UK to ask directly whether child dining plan could be upgraded to adult plan and was told they have been instructed that this can not be done for UK customers. I made the point that they need to think about offering some spicier options for UK kids. For instance at Sanaa the Kid's Menu has grilled fish or chicken, turkey sandwich, cheese pizza, cheese burger and mac & cheese. The lady told me that they offer tacos in the Magic Kingdom. :rolleyes2 Anyway taking the kids out for an Indian buffet tonight.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I appreciate that different people have had different experiences. Hope you all enjoy your next trip to Disney.

Hi Guys

I have phoned Disney UK to ask directly whether child dining plan could be upgraded to adult plan and was told they have been instructed that this can not be done for UK customers. I made the point that they need to think about offering some spicier options for UK kids. For instance at Sanaa the Kid's Menu has grilled fish or chicken, turkey sandwich, cheese pizza, cheese burger and mac & cheese. The lady told me that they offer tacos in the Magic Kingdom. :rolleyes2 Anyway taking the kids out for an Indian buffet tonight.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I appreciate that different people have had different experiences. Hope you all enjoy your next trip to Disney.

Well in that case ill be making sure my kids ages are down as 10 then every time so that they will automatically get the adult plan, seems this is the easiest way.
It's a shame that you got told this as my friends called up 3 days ago and had their child changed I guess it depends who you manage to speak to on the day, and if they are only not doing it for UK visitors then that seems very unfair.

There are still plenty of options if you look up the menus before hand, the ONLY reasons we upgrade is because there is 2 years difference between the oldest and his brothers and they argue that he gets stuff they don't, we have never found it a problem getting meals that was not mac and cheese or burgers etc,

It really is worth looking at what each of the QS places offer as well as the TS places,

Well in that case ill be making sure my kids ages are down as 10 then every time so that they will automatically get the adult plan, seems this is the easiest way.
It's a shame that you got told this as my friends called up 3 days ago and had their child changed I guess it depends who you manage to speak to on the day, and if they are only not doing it for UK visitors then that seems very unfair.

There are still plenty of options if you look up the menus before hand, the ONLY reasons we upgrade is because there is 2 years difference between the oldest and his brothers and they argue that he gets stuff they don't, we have never found it a problem getting meals that was not mac and cheese or burgers etc,

It really is worth looking at what each of the QS places offer as well as the TS places,

If you do this and book a package with dining and tickets, you will also have to pay the adult (10 years plus) ticket prices.

If you do this and book a package with dining and tickets, you will also have to pay the adult (10 years plus) ticket prices.

We always do that anyways, if you want to upgrade your child to an adult on the dining plan then you automatically have to upgrade to the adult ticket price too, it only costs around £20 difference anyways so well worth it for the extra adult TS credits :)

We always do that anyways, if you want to upgrade your child to an adult on the dining plan then you automatically have to upgrade to the adult ticket price too, it only costs around £20 difference anyways so well worth it for the extra adult TS credits :)

That's right it is only £20 between adult and child park tickets so it would have been well worth doing for the 14 nights. Tinkerpea was your dining booked within a flight package? Just wondering, as other posters have mentioned, if that is what is making the difference.

That's right it is only £20 between adult and child park tickets so it would have been well worth doing for the 14 nights. Tinkerpea was your dining booked within a flight package? Just wondering, as other posters have mentioned, if that is what is making the difference.

I have done it both ways Hun, with flights inclusive and with out flights.
I also know that somebody else on dis has just recently upgraded their child to the adult quick serve plan and their's is also a package flight inclusive deal!! with virgin I believe.

Is your package with Disney travel company or somebody else? I do know that virgin originally tried to charge them the full amount something like £600 odd but thy made sure to keep on explaining they only wanted to upgrade the dining plan aspect and they got back no did it for just the. Difference in ticket.

I also know that somebody else on dis has just recently upgraded their child to the adult quick serve plan and their's is also a package flight inclusive deal!! with virgin I believe.

I'm just asking, but why pay to upgrade on the quick service plan? They don't differentiate between children and adults credits? Or at least. My kids when under 10 and on the regular plan ate nearly all adult meals at the QS places and it was never an issue, our KTTW cards clearly did not differentiate adult/children's credits for QS places. Is this different if you are actually on the QS plan? Interesting if it is.

I'm just asking, but why pay to upgrade on the quick service plan? They don't differentiate between children and adults credits? Or at least. My kids when under 10 and on the regular plan ate nearly all adult meals at the QS places and it was never an issue, our KTTW cards clearly did not differentiate adult/children's credits for QS places. Is this different if you are actually on the QS plan? Interesting if it is.

That's because as per Disney written rules you are not to get adult meals with child credits at QS places unless they don't offer a child's selection!

So yes your correct in the fact that the system can not tell the difference between adult/child but its still written on your card and your meant
to keep track of how many you have of each..

Wether or not you decide to follow disney's rules is up to you but they are there, servers do clamp down at times and only allow you to purchase the amount of adult QS that is on your card at any one time,
So for example your card says 2adult 2 child then you will only be able to get 2 adult meals at any one time!
This is why some people would pay to upgrade on the QS

That's because as per Disney written rules you are not to get adult meals with child credits at QS places unless they don't offer a child's selection!

So yes your correct in the fact that the system can not tell the difference between adult/child but its still written on your card and your meant
to keep track of how many you have of each..

Wether or not you decide to follow disney's rules is up to you but they are there, servers do clamp down at times and only allow you to purchase the amount of adult QS that is on your card at any one time,
So for example your card says 2adult 2 child then you will only be able to get 2 adult meals at any one time!
This is why some people would pay to upgrade on the QS

Well all I can say is they have never applied that rule to us. As for the rules. Disney could easily clamp down on this if they cared as they do at TS. So of they don't care, neither do I. They don't complain when she eats off the children's menu at TS places where we have paid for an adult credit on the plan for her either ;)

Well all I can say is they have never applied that rule to us. As for the rules. Disney could easily clamp down on this if they cared as they do at TS. So of they don't care, neither do I. They don't complain when she eats off the children's menu at TS places where we have paid for an adult credit on the plan for her either ;)

And like I said that it your choice to make, if you go onto the US dining section you will see this comes up a lot and that it is severely frowned upon which is why people PAY to upgrade you asked why and I told you why :)

And like I said that it your choice to make, if you go onto the US dining section you will see this comes up a lot and that it is severely frowned upon which is why people PAY to upgrade you asked why and I told you why :)

Please don't shout at me (PAY).

If Disney severely frowned upon it they would not let it happen. This is a massive and financially organised corporation, one of the biggest in the world, do you think they haven't clocked this is happening? Given that of course they have, does it not suggest they don't care? For what it's worth the first trip we did this before the kids were over 10 I asked at the first 5 CS places and the hotel front desk if this was allowed as I'd only read about it online and wasn't sure it was okay. They all said yes go ahead. After 5 times of been told yes i stopped asking. So. I was and still would be more than happy to go with the position of paid Disney personnel over and above those on a forum.

If Disney severely frowned upon it they would not let it happen. This is a massive and financially organised corporation, one of the biggest in the world, do you think they haven't clocked this is happening? Given that of course they have, does it not suggest they don't care? For what it's worth the first trip we did this before the kids were over 10 I asked at the first 5 CS places and the hotel front desk if this was allowed as I'd only read about it online and wasn't sure it was okay. They all said yes go ahead. After 5 times of been told yes i stopped asking. So. I was and still would be more than happy to go with the position of paid Disney personnel over and above those on a forum.

I'm not going to get into an argument with you!!!!
You asked why somebody would pay to upgrade the QS and I told you why that's that's all there is to it!

Tinkerpea is correct. ::yes:: If in doubt, please consult the Dining Plan brochure. Disney should not have to enforce terms that are clearly legible.

Not only that, but it is against the DISboards policy to discuss 'breaching' or playing the system on the forums. Just saying ....

Tinkerpea is correct. ::yes:: If in doubt, please consult the Dining Plan brochure. Disney should not have to enforce terms that are clearly legible.

Not only that, but it is against the DISboards policy to discuss 'breaching' or playing the system on the forums. Just saying ....

Oh please.

Playing the system by doing something paid staff said was fine?

The sanctimonious manner of some here has me done, which is a shame as I've very much enjoyed talking Disney with some lovely fans.

Oh please.

Playing the system by doing something paid staff said was fine?

The sanctimonious manner of some here has me done, which is a shame as I've very much enjoyed talking Disney with some lovely fans.

All I did was referred you to written terms and conditions. There are DISboard policies and there are Disney policies. They are all there in black and white for you to read. We were simply referring you to the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter