problems cooking dried beans

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by kellia, Jan 2, 2013.

1. kellia

kellia DIS Veteran

Help! I keep trying to use dried beans for use in chili and other soups that will cook all day in a crock pot. But when the meal is done, they are either crunchy or mushy. SIGH!!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. gardengalB4

gardengalB4 DIS Veteran

The beans need to be soaked in water overnight,drained,rinsed & then put in the crockpot to cook all day....I cook them on low.

4. Soben

Soben Mouseketeer

Also, if they're old, they will take f--o--r--e--v--e--r to cook. I just cook them forever, but it can be frustrating. You can try soaking and then freezing, helps break down the cell walls.

If they're newer or fresher, and you soak them and cook them for a few hours, you shouldn't have trouble.

If you don't want to soak, you're looking at 6-8 hours in the crock pot. That's how I make pinto beans for refried.

5. msp2mco

msp2mco Mouseketeer

Also, don't soak them with salt because that can prevent them from softening. If possible, soak them and cook them in a regular pot and add them to the slow cooker toward the end of cooking so you know they are the texture you would prefer.

6. AlaskaMOM

AlaskaMOM <font color=blue>BL II - Blue Team<br><font color=

Also do not add any acidic ingredients (tomatoes) until the beans are soft. As the acid will not allow them to soften any more.

7. gardengalB4

gardengalB4 DIS Veteran

I have also dumped in a can of coke when I throw everything in the crockpot....DH likes this:confused3

8. lizabu

lizabu Disney Maniac

If you put any salt in they will never get soft.

9. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

This is some good information! I never knew all of this.

10. North of Mouse

North of Mouse DIS Veteran

Yep, one of the first things I remember my mom teaching me ::yes::

11. pigletto

pigletto DIS Veteran

Well you learn something new every day! I have never successfully made a recipe with dried beans and gave up. I am sure I have salted the water or used bouillon that contains a lot of salt and I bet that is my problem with soups! My sister and I both like to cook and had given up on them after a disgusting lentil soup. I am willing to give it another try:thumbsup2

12. limace

limace DIS Veteran

13. clm10308

clm10308 DIS Veteran

The altitude at which you live can also have an impact. I moved from sea level to 6500 ft and had to learn to cook some things all over again. Dry beans take forever to cook here and that is on the stove. It would take days to cook them in a crockpot if it would even work at all.

14. Readerbug

Readerbug Using My Ears

And even when I do all these things, sometimes beans still don't get 'ready' when I want them to, especially when using a roaster or a crock pot to cook a lot of them.

I think there's a "Bean finger" just like there's a green thumb. And I don't have it. I do think I have low heat crockpots. And I learned when I want beans, I have to think long term. I make a big batch way before, days before I want them, when I am under no time pressure and they can cook as long as they darn please, then divide them up into can-size portions and freeze. Then add them into what ever needs them, the day of.

(But I too, experimented after cooking beans without salt for years, (I had many hispanic neighbors who only made refried from beans from scratch, and they always added salt at the beginning of the soak...??) I learned I could pre salt beans and still get them soft- so it wasn't the salt that was holdn 'em back.

I think some bagged beans are Verrrrrry Old. Because most people use cans, and they sit on the shelf a lot. Cooking up into beans that have totally shed their wrinkly skins is a clue. But they are still good to eat. Just harder to cook.

Dry Beans are hardcore budget stuff. I think there ought to be a "Bean Badge" avatar for all you who are drybean green thumbs, and an "Earning my Beans" for all us still practicing! Those with badges are seriously :) saving for Disney.

15. Princess Disney Mom

Princess Disney Mom DIS Veteran

Yes. This is a big factor. Put the tomato last.

16. pampam

pampam DIS Veteran

I soak my beans overnight, drain the water, and cook till just soft, not mushy. Then I freeze the beans in 2 cup baggies, and use when a recipe calls for canned beans. It is far, far, cheaper than canned beans.

17. lovesmurfs

lovesmurfs DIS Veteran

:lmao: Sorry -- my thoughts went to "pull my finger" along with the "musical fruit"! :rotfl2:

I subscribed to the thread because I also have trouble cooking dry beans. Maybe I'll try again!

18. Pooh2

Pooh2 Dis Veteran

I soak the beans overnight in a bean pot. Then add a bit more water and bake in the oven at 325 for about 5-7 hours.

19. Muushka

Muushka <font color=red>I usually feel like I just stepped

Bean Badge
    Earning my Beans
    Bean Finger

As a lover of beans, I love these terms! :lmao: :thumbsup2

20. Pigeon

Pigeon DIS Veteran

I put the plain beans in the crockpot, cover with water 2 inches over the beans and let them cook overnight. Drain and then use them in your chili recipe.

21. mrsklamc

mrsklamc <font color=blue>I apologize in advance, but what

In a crockpot, on a stove top, or does it matter?