Pro Bowl 2017 ~ Parade Set for Jan. 27 in MK @ 2:30

WooPigScientist

Woo Pig Sooie! Go Razorbacks!
Soooo, I just realized that the weeks have planned for our trip next year overlaps somewhat with the Pro Bowl (which I did not even realize was a thing . . .) The date I'm seeing for Pro Bowl is 1/29/17. Our trip dates are 1/28 - 2/8/17.

A few questions, if anyone cares to give an opinion:
1. I've seen articles referring to this as a week long event (ugh) - any idea what dates that week might encompass? Week before, week after?
2. What impact do you guys think this will have on the parks? Any? We've been marathon week in early January (2016). Other than that, pretty slow times.
3. What do you think we could expect driving down? We drive from SE Missouri, into Florida on 10 then south on 75. Since our arrival date is the day (Sat) before Pro Bowl, I'm having horrific nightmares of the gridlock we saw coming north out of Florida (at the 10/75 junction) when we were heading south on Jan. 2 last year. Not even kidding, it was easily 4-5 miles of barely moving vehicles. I almost had a panic attack just looking at it.

I realize I'm being pretty paranoid and OCD over details here. I do have some flexibility to move our trip back a week or so if this is going to be a big deal, and I'd rather get that sorted out in my head now before 180 ADRs are knocking. Thanks for any help! My reasearch led me to believe this was the first year for this in Orlando?

Im excited for the pro bowl and hope to be in attendance!

I think it'll bring more crowds than any marathon event brings. I don't see roads being backed up and everything though. But it'll be a packed event and I see a lot of people making a Disney trip out of it as well.

I don't believe the pro bowl is a week long event, maybe a couple days. And it would be a couple days leading up to the Pro Bowl as the Super Bowl is a week later.

And yes this is the first year in Orlando. The pro bowl is held every year in Hawaii with a couple different spots every few years. It was in Miami in 2010 and Arizona last year. Other than that it's been in Hawaii since 1980.

A few questions, if anyone cares to give an opinion:
1. I've seen articles referring to this as a week long event (ugh) - any idea what dates that week might encompass? Week before, week after?

Week before...the week after is Superbowl week, which is a HUGE week for the NFL.

2. What impact do you guys think this will have on the parks? Any? We've been marathon week in early January (2016). Other than that, pretty slow times.

Minimal. I think the game itself will draw in the curious for the first year or two in Orlando, but I doubt it will draw in more park visitors.

3. What do you think we could expect driving down? We drive from SE Missouri, into Florida on 10 then south on 75. Since our arrival date is the day (Sat) before Pro Bowl, I'm having horrific nightmares of the gridlock we saw coming north out of Florida (at the 10/75 junction) when we were heading south on Jan. 2 last year. Not even kidding, it was easily 4-5 miles of barely moving vehicles. I almost had a panic attack just looking at it.

The Pro Bowl is not as popular, nor does it draw as dedicated a fan base, as the big NCAA Bowl Games. Plus, college bowl fans mostly come from the same two towns\ so they all get in each others way. That said...I dunno.

My reasearch led me to believe this was the first year for this in Orlando?

Correct, the Pro Bowl has been played in Honolulu for decades. It's popularity was weak in the pre-cable TV days of limited options and only diminished in ratings, player participation and ticket sales ever since. While probably not a last-ditch effort to save the game, it may be pretty close.

The Pro Bowl is the weekend before the Superbowl. It has been that way for the last several years. I think it's crazy but it is what it is. That is why a lot of the first tier picks for the Pro Bowl didn't attend. Which has also kept attendance down by fans. But anyway..

Anyway.. it hasn't been as popular for fans to travel to because in the past it has been in Hawaii. Which is more expensive. I would say that people may be more willing to go to Orlando due to being able to make it a destination vacation with everything the areas has to offer.

Only time will tell. I think you can see a quite a few people make the trip. I can't remember if it is an all week long event but I know it is at least Thursday through the day of the game. More than likely the people who will come are going to be 100% in football mode. Some may bring family who will spend time at area atrractions but anything NFL is the main attraction for NFL nuts (like me). I know it is on my possible to do list for 2017 because I can't come close to being able to be afraid to afford the Super Bowl.

I would say if it is successful it will stay in Orlando for a while; however, there is a lot of talk about making it better or maybe even getting rid of it in the future. But I doubt that will happen.

I don't think it will have any more impact on area traffic than any other major event in the area.

I saw this news and felt very bad for anyone planning a trip around it. The Pro Bowl is a big media event. While many people may be caught up in the hoopla right before, I think many who can, will stick around after and enjoy the parks for a few days, which is when you will be there. What should have been a quiet week for you, may now be very crowded. Unfortunately, it is really hard to tell at this point since this is a new event. I think if I were you, I would look at trying to reschedule if possible. If not, I would book everything I could as soon as I could and get into serious planning mode.

Still trying to wrap my mind around the idea of not knowing the Pro Bowl exists. I'd bet it'll draw more of a crowd than it did when it was in Hawaii, simply because access to it is easier. However, I don't see it causing endless lines of highway traffic and filling WDW to capacity. Essentially, think of it as any other NFL game attendance. The stadium can only hold a certain number of people. It's not the kind of event that people will flock to without actually being able to get in. If I had to guess, you're looking at 40-60k people attending.

Ugh...we have the same issue...we're booked to arrive the day of the Pro Bowl and be there the week after. Chosen specifically so it would be less crowded. I'm hopeful that previous posters are right - it might increase crowds a couple of days before but not hugely. I'm a football fan and have no interest in the Pro Bowl...hopefully others are like me?

As a HUGE football fan, the Pro Bowl is a non-game; meaning many players that are chosen as pro bowlers don't go to the game, especially if they are on a team that just lost the Conference championship game the week before (and the two Super Bowl teams, of course).

However, even if "backup" players go, they are still players than fans know and recognize. Going to the parks during the Tuesday-Friday before the Pro Bowl on Sunday would be a great opportunity to see some top notch NFL players. I think it would be cool to see, say Eli Manning or JJ Watt on Splash Mountain!

I really don't think the Pro Bowl will have a very big impact on the crowd level. It is sandwiched between two much bigger games, the conference championships and Super Bowl. I wouldn't worry about it. The drive down might be impacted a bit but I don't think it will be like trying to drive through DC on a Friday afternoon.

Still trying to wrap my mind around the idea of not knowing the Pro Bowl exists. I'd bet it'll draw more of a crowd than it did when it was in Hawaii, simply because access to it is easier. However, I don't see it causing endless lines of highway traffic and filling WDW to capacity. Essentially, think of it as any other NFL game attendance. The stadium can only hold a certain number of people. It's not the kind of event that people will flock to without actually being able to get in. If I had to guess, you're looking at 40-60k people attending.

Ha, I wondered if anyone would give me flack for that! But it's true! I've just never had any interest in NFL - I'm a complete and total MLB girl. Which makes sense, as I live in Cardinal Nation - NFL and even college football aren't as big here as other parts of the country. I did pick up interest in SEC football when attending University of Arkansas, but it's still second to Cardinals (shhh, don't tell Arkansas, they'll take back my degree!).

Are NFL games (and specifically Pro Bowl) like college games on tailgating? Big deal with lots of extra people or not so much? It may be worse in SEC, as we are still rabid fans even if our particular team sucks (I'm looking at you Razorbacks), and our games always have GOBS of people in attendance who don't ever have tickets or go in the stadium. There's also a very active alumni group that follows the team to all the away games and tailgates there.

I'm a little torn - part of me is just wanting to stick with the plan, as I will do ADRs at 180 days and have touring plans for the parks. We aren't commando park people, so our plans are mostly to utilize rope drop efficiently and keep us from wasting time deciding what to do next. And moving it back a whole week puts us into Valentines Day and more expensive resort nights. Hmmm, may sit down and try to find some middle ground - my kids are pretty much missing 2 weeks school regardless of what day we leave.

On the plus side, once we get onsite we don't touch my truck again until the day we leave. So even if the extra people create traffic issues, as long as we can get in outside of that, we're good!

Honestly, I would stick with your plan. I do not see a big influx of people for this. I mean there will be people going but I just don't see it being as big as Super Bowl week. I mean if that was going on then I would probably change my plans. But this the ProBowl. Like a PP stated, the venue for the game can only hold a certain amount of people. I would say those coming down for the ProBowl will stay around where the ProBowl activities are. Even the NFL doesn't know what is going to happen. I listen to the NFL network everyday and even they are saying that it may not draw a HUGE crowd, but a decent one nevertheless.

For a lot of people this is going to be a cheaper option to see a professional "football" game. And i use the term Football very loosely. It isn't a traditional football game. To be honest, it just isn't a good football product. Even the NFL itself knows this but it draws people.

As for tailgating, I think that is more so during the regular season at the respective stadiums. I've never been to an NFL game but going to one this year (I do my watching in the comfort of my own home and that weekend trip alone would pay for a week at Disney for myself).
But..I don't think anything can be worse than an SEC tailgating experience between two teams that do not like each other..but it depends on the team and the fans. I am an Alabama Football fan so I know how crazy some tailgating experiences can be. I live in Kentucky and go to games at UK from time to time and it just depends on the mood and who they are playing as to how it gets. But anyway.... It's the same for the NFL.

With this game it isn't two specific teams playing. It's the best players from both conferences (and I use that phrase loosely too). So you aren't going to have a big grouping of a particular team's fans. It's not like all of Pittsburgh and Cincinnati are going to decend on Orlando for a Steelers/Bengals game.

Yes NFL games have a lot of tailgating. I imagine there will be a good amount of people tailgating near the stadium that don't have tickets.

While the Pro Bowl isn't a HUGE deal in the world of NFL. It's a given that being it's not in Hawaii, far more people will attend the Pro Bowl that wouldn't book a flight to Hawaii. And a good amount of those people I would bet money will take a trip to Disney as well. Orlando is a huge tourist city, so why not attend the Pro Bowl and knock out a family vacation trip to Disney at the same time.

Unless you REALLY want to, I wouldn't push your trip back. You won't see insane crowds at Disney due to the Pro Bowl and traffic won't be backed up for miles, but I see a bunch of people definitely going to Disney that will be in town for the Pro Bowl.

Ugh. We are in the same boat. Was planning a 1/28-2/4 trip. Considered 1/21-1/28 but we live in the DC area and feared getting a flight the day after the inauguration would be tough.

My wishful thinking gut is the crowd level impact will be a wash. Some going to the game may hit the parks but others will avoid going at that time.

I may think about other dates but we will likely stick with our plan.

It's not just the people attending (plus their families), it's all of the players' families, and the media. No, it is NOT the Super Bowl. But, what would have been a quiet week (and I'm thinking resorts as well as parks), is now going to see a much higher influx of people. Plus, that time of year has reduced hours, and probably doesn't have as much staffing at the parks as summer. But, who knows?

It's not just the people attending (plus their families), it's all of the players' families, and the media. No, it is NOT the Super Bowl. But, what would have been a quiet week (and I'm thinking resorts as well as parks), is now going to see a much higher influx of people. Plus, that time of year has reduced hours, and probably doesn't have as much staffing at the parks as summer. But, who knows?
I would think disney would increase the hours as they are participating in the events, no?

Ugh...we have the same issue...we're booked to arrive the day of the Pro Bowl and be there the week after. Chosen specifically so it would be less crowded. I'm hopeful that previous posters are right - it might increase crowds a couple of days before but not hugely. I'm a football fan and have no interest in the Pro Bowl...hopefully others are like me?

I'm with you! We scheduled our trip for 1/27-2/4 specifically for low crowds. The dates have already been approved by my travel party's employers and can't be changed, so we're just going to plan early (just made our resort reservations so we'll be ready to make our ADRs at 180 days) and hope for the best!

Take it from a person who worked there for more than half a year, who seen multiple events/holidays...it will impact crowds. You wouldnt think parks would see an inrease for cinco de mayo...it does. You say to yourself mardi gras is only in New Orleans wont have that much of a impact...it does. Lol Disney World's guests are so diverse and have so many different times of a year that they can go. And now they see oh look we can go this week and they have pro bowl stuff. And believe me there are dedicated nfl fans who attend the pro bowl everyyear

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter