Private Group Events on the Magic?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by threewilmingtonwalls, Feb 2, 2013.

1. threewilmingtonwalls

threewilmingtonwalls DIS Veteran

For those of you who have organized special events for your DIS meet aboard the Magic, could you give me some details about your event and how you went about arranging it with DCL? I've read a little about them here and there but a search has been unsuccessful. I'd like to put something together like a Bubbles & Beer tasting event for the adults on our upcoming cruise. Thanks in advance!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

For an informal thing like a DisMeet, we basically take over an area of the ship. On the Magic, this is typically the Promenade Lounge.

For something like PJ breakfast, we let the head server or restaurant manager know a day or two in advance--that way they can save a section of the restaurant and know that they may have more than the usual number of guests there (but since we are all able to eat breakfast at any restaurant we choose, there is no charge involved).

For something like a private tasting (where there is a charge), you just call DCL directly. They will give you a maximum and minimum number of guests and usually say that once a reservation is made, it WILL be charged and cannot be canceled. They will work with you to set a date and time. You go back to your dis group with the info (date, time, cost) and get a list of names and cabin numbers...call it in to DCL and it's set.

4. threewilmingtonwalls

Thanks! I am kind of hoping to hear from some who have actually organized an event like the last one you mentioned, just for some ideas before I call DCL. Like did they give you options for different types of events, or can you just come up with any idea? If so, what did your group do, specifically? What was the cost and what did that include? Where was the event held? Did you have good group participation? Also, does one person pay for the event then collect the money?

If anyone can provide me some specific examples, I would so appreciate it! :-)

5. DVC4US

DVC4US <font color=royalblue>DVC Member since 1998<br><fo

We did a DIS Wine Tasting event a couple of years ago. We were on an 11-night cruise and I was concierge so we had more options and I had help setting this up but it went over really well. The charge was $20 per person.

Once DCL told me what would work, I put the information on the DIS Meet thread and since it was limited to the number of people it was first come first serve. I had to collect names and reservations to give to DCL and they then charged each person. So I didn't have to collect any money.

We have also done the private dinning room for Palo Brunch. Again just collected the information for DCL and that was limited to 14 people.

Both of these events were done on the classic ships. I haven't done anything on the new ones yet.

6. threewilmingtonwalls

Excellent info. Thanks!

7. threewilmingtonwalls

Bump to see if I can get any more replies! I have made arrangements through DCL, but I am wondering about themes for specific events. Has anyone been to/arranged a fun meet onboard? We're doing a DIS Meet/party in Sessions and I am trying to come up with a good theme for the event. Thanks!