Prices going up again (direct)

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by vicki_c, Mar 15, 2012.

1. vicki_c

vicki_c DIS Veteran

Got a new e-mail offer today -

20 extra points per 100 points purchased for AKV and Aulani.

With the notation that AKV points are going up from $125 to $130 on April 24. :scared1:

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Official Ticket Center is Orlando’s #1 discount attraction ticket agency, selling millions of Walt Disney tickets around the world.

to hide this adverts.
  3. FigmentLady

FigmentLady Mouseketeer

I was just coming on to post the same thing.

4. delmar411

delmar411 DIS Veteran

it takes it down to $104.xx/pp though if you buy before the increase and buy 100pts (so 120pts).

Still, I can't believe people are going to be willing to pay so much pp for AKV.

5. disneynutz

disneynutz DIS Veteran DIS Lifetime Sponsor

I know that Disney is a business but DVD's pricing games makes me lose any respect that I had for Disney as a company. They are ranking right up there with my local car dealer. :sad2:

:earsboy: Bill

6. zavandor

zavandor DIS Veteran

Increasing the prices it's be best way to convince people to buy direct instead of resale.

Oh wait... :sad2:

7. Missyrose

Missyrose DIS Veteran

It truly seems like DVD is gearing up for some seriously outrageous GFV pricing and they're trying to ramp up the other resorts' prices so GFV doesn't end up looking like as big an outlier.

8. JimMIA

JimMIA There's more to life than mice...

Timeshare salesmen are full of tricks, and DVC timeshare salesmen are no exception.

Anybody considering an offer like that had better read the fine print.

Is that 20 every-year points, or just 20 one-time extra points?

Makes a huge difference -- Delmar's example above bringing the price to $104 is based on every-year points. If these are just one year points, it doesn't affect the overall price worth calculating.

Also be very careful to check any restrictions on those points -- not bankable, can only be used at a certain resort, etc, etc, etc.

(Last time they offered a "deal" like this, careless purchasers found out they could only use their points in the current UY at SSR.)

And then there's the age-old question: AKV direct at $125 less some incentive? Or AKV resale, selling and clearing ROFR at $58? Your money, your choice.

9. delmar411

delmar411 DIS Veteran

The extra 20 are for the life of the contract, not just one time use. You do have to pay closing costs and dues (for the lifetime of the contract) on the extra points.

That's what I noticed in the fine print.

eta~ it's a free 20 pts for every 100pts up to 1000pts (so up to a free 200points)

10. ssawka

ssawka DIS Veteran

Besides the price per point, I would not be surprised if GFV has a point chart similar to Aluani.

11. ColonialMouse

ColonialMouse Earning My Ears

I was sort of shocked. I wonder if they've done research and found that the prices are already so different that the people who buy resale are going to keep buying resale even if they lower prices 20%, and the ones who buy direct are going to keep buying direct even if they raise another 10 or 20%, so why not do it.

We had talked to a guide to listen to both sides of the story before making an offer on a resale, and when I talked to him later I just told him I was paying half what they are charging new and couldn't justify it. Obviously they don't think it will affect their profits.

Bruce

12. Jaaron2

Jaaron2 Disney Vet

Starting to get real concerned about what the procing will be for GFV :scared1: We want to add on there....but at what cost :confused3

13. Saratoga Springs Tom

Saratoga Springs Tom Mouseketeer

I think it would be realistic to expect pricing for Grand Floridian Villas to be very close to 200.00 per point. I would not be surprised to see additional restrictions introduced on resales also. Just my thoughts on what has been shared with me. We will just have to wait and see. :surfweb:

14. ELMC

ELMC DIS Veteran

Why are you people wasting your valuable time posting on here? Didn't you read that AKL point prices are increasing? You should all go out and buy more AKL points RIGHT NOW or else the world as you know it will come to an end!

(I looked for a fear induced, paranoia motivated, caught up in the wave of excitement and inspired to make poor choices emoticon to insert here, but couldn't find one, sorry). This is the best I found...:scared1:

Oh, and I'm holding out until they offer AKL points at 50% off. Wait, they do...it's called resale. ZING!

15. Jaaron2

Jaaron2 Disney Vet

Wow, your a genius!!!!! How did we ALL miss that ? Extensive research must have been conducted to uncover this... Resale you call it...... Hiding under all of our noses all this time! I wonder if we could file a class action suit against Disney for misleading us regarding our purchases????

Maybe you could provide some detail to all of us as to how this Resale works ...OBVIOUSLY we will need all the information you can provide. I wonder if anyone else knows ???? This could be groundbreaking!

16. ELMC

ELMC DIS Veteran

Um, what's your point?

17. Jaaron2

Jaaron2 Disney Vet

The fact your asking says it all

18. ELMC

ELMC DIS Veteran

Haha. Clearly I have offended you somehow with my post. Not intentional, I was merely satirizing DVC salespeople's high pressure tactics. No need to get into an argument in a chat room, wouldn't you agree?