price threshold reached

JennyN

DIS Veteran
I was just reading on one of the WDW threads about the ticket price increases. Someone was saying the prices have just reached their threshold. This reminded me that when we were in DL last year we noticed that churro so had gone up to $4, now we love them and often snack on them in the park but last year my DH said that was his threshold. I thought he was joking but no he didn't have a churro the entire time we were in DL. Just wondering if anyone else has a threshold that has been reached with price increases in the parks?

We were there last week for 6 days. The Churro price I saw was $4.25. We only bought one.

I tend to not look at prices when we go. I know if I do, I'll be like your husband.

However, it is really hard to pay $4.25 when you can enjoy a Costco one for just a buck!

Here's a funny one from one of our past trips... I had taken my two older grandkids DGS 17, DGD 13 at the time of travel.
We checked into the GCH, entered DCA thru the GCH gate and when we reached the first churro cart there by GRR, my DGS wanted 3 churros and a pop.
When he saw the posted price, he quickly changed his mind. Then a churro was a mere $3.25 each. He felt one churro was all he needed.

Disney is expensive and I do have to watch the bottom line too. But for some things I just have to go with what Disney charges, to a certain point.

My overall "Threshold" also depends on how many grandkids I have along with me.
Last week I only had one. So we did things I'd never do when I take more kids with me.
Two people at the Blue Bayou was easier than the usual 5 I have in my group.
We also upgrade to First Class on the Flight down. Oh was that nice......

Geemo

3 churros and a soda in one sitting? That must be like a week's worth of sugar. Ah, to be a teen again with a fast metabolism...

Oooh $4-25. We don't really worry about prices we just accept its Disney but with our dollar (Australian) being low that brings the price for a churro up to about $5-50. I think that's too much for me.

We always have a tough time with the price of clothing there. $60 for a sweatshirt? $30 for a t-shirt? Ouch. We typically buy those kinds at the outlet due to the $$$ prices. But with food and such, we just suck it up.

When they raised the price of a 1-day parkhopper to $155, that killed the family single day visit to the parks during our beach vacation. We usually spend 7-10 days at Hermosa Beach every summer and have enjoyed going to DLR for one of those days. We don't want to go longer than that during our summer vacation. But at $620 for tickets (I have an annual pass or it would be $775), we have given up those 1-day trips. We could do a single park for $400 but we just decided to eliminate the day trip.

This is such an interesting question and topic! I just finished reading the book, "Your money, your life; Transforming Your Relationship with Money" and one of the questions they often ask is, " Did I receive fulfillment, satisfaction and value in proportion to life energy spent?" Your life energy is essentially how much of your working life/energy that it takes to purchase something. So, if you take your true hourly wage (net pay minus all the expenses of working; eating out, gasoline, clothes for work), think about how many hours of work it takes to purchase that churro or knicknack? And if you think about how hard you work, is it turly worth it?

So after reading this book, I feel like my threshold is much lower and I have to ask myself if this churro is enhancing my life? :rotfl2:Is it worth all my hard work, my stress and struggles at work? But going to the parks is an experience and there are certain things that enhance that experience. Now I feel like I must be very selective in picking the food items that I can't go without or the things I look forward to most. If I go to the parks once a year, I certainly don't mind paying $4.25 for a churro but if I were an annual passholder, I certainly would!

I have to ask myself if this churro is enhancing my life? :rotfl2:

Oh my gawd! I just spit my water out while reading this! :D:D:D ...

Anyways... clothing is just crazy expensive there so that's a complete No-No.

If I am craving something too much (be that a churro, beignets, ice cream, whatever) I will buy it and enjoy. This is 100% true if talking about a couple of beers @ DCA :rolleyes1

I was shocked when my DGD bought a turkey leg last week. I think she said it was $10.

Granted it was heavy and hot, plus it smell really good.... But $10???

Being shocked at the price, I asked her if it was worth it when she was done. She felt it was. That's all that matters isn't it.

We didn't make it for a Dole Whip. How much are they now?

geemo

I don't know what my exact price threshold would be -- the point where I just say, "Okay, that's crazy. Forget it" -- but I do a lot of price comparisons when I shop in regular, everyday life, and I always try to get the best value and the most bang for my buck. I can't help but think of cheaper prices when I am at DLR.

For example, I drink a lot of water. I hate the taste of the tap water. If I wanted to buy one single 16 oz.-ish bottle of water at DLR, I'd be paying just about what I could pay for a full case of 24 bottles of water when it's on sale at Ralphs or Vons! If I want to buy 2 scoops of ice cream in a festive holiday cone at Gibson Girl, I'll be paying just about what I'd be paying (or more) if I bought a full carton of Dreyer's at Vons or Ralphs! It's hard to reconcile those prices when I know what I could be spending and getting elsewhere. So I try to not think about it.

I think that the onsite hotels are really pushing it these days, and I am being forced out of staying onsite -- and I am a huge fan of staying onsite (it enhances my overall experience)! The prices are just crazy for even the most basic of the 3 hotels (PPH).

We were there last week for 6 days. The Churro price I saw was $4.25. We only bought one.

I tend to not look at prices when we go. I know if I do, I'll be like your husband.

However, it is really hard to pay $4.25 when you can enjoy a Costco one for just a buck!

Here's a funny one from one of our past trips... I had taken my two older grandkids DGS 17, DGD 13 at the time of travel.
We checked into the GCH, entered DCA thru the GCH gate and when we reached the first churro cart there by GRR, my DGS wanted 3 churros and a pop.
When he saw the posted price, he quickly changed his mind. Then a churro was a mere $3.25 each. He felt one churro was all he needed.

Disney is expensive and I do have to watch the bottom line too. But for some things I just have to go with what Disney charges, to a certain point.

My overall "Threshold" also depends on how many grandkids I have along with me.
Last week I only had one. So we did things I'd never do when I take more kids with me.
Two people at the Blue Bayou was easier than the usual 5 I have in my group.
We also upgrade to First Class on the Flight down. Oh was that nice......

Geemo

Geemo can I travel with you to DLR :laughing:

It pained me deeply to pay 6.99 for ONE slice of cheese pizza at the Boardwalk Pizza in DCA yesterday. Then got really mad when it was one of the worse pieces of pizza I have ever had.

Geemo can I travel with you to DLR :laughing:
I'm fortunate to have Disney Loving Grandkids. I never have to ask twice for them to tag along.
My trip in December will be with three, DGS-21, DGS-13 and DGD-11.
DGD-17 just went with me last week and doesn't feel she can miss school and work again so soon.
Although by Thanksgiving I'm sure she will change her mind.
I'm surprised the 21yrold still wants to go on a trip with their grandma....

Geemo

It pained me deeply to pay 6.99 for ONE slice of cheese pizza at the Boardwalk Pizza in DCA yesterday. Then got really mad when it was one of the worse pieces of pizza I have ever had.
We felt this same pain last December! Plus it wasn't a big slice so it wasn't enough to fill you up if you could stomach eating it all lol

I think that the onsite hotels are really pushing it these days, and I am being forced out of staying onsite -- and I am a huge fan of staying onsite (it enhances my overall experience)! The prices are just crazy for even the most basic of the 3 hotels (PPH).

This is my threshold, too. One of these days, I'd like to think my threshold will change for the on-site hotel prices, but with the other trips my family wants to take this year (life beyond Disney :rolleyes1), we just couldn't justify it. So, this will be our first multi day family trip staying across the street. I'm actually looking forward to it!

We were there a little over a week ago, we were there 6 days (5 plus MHP). Usually DH goes nuts buying him and dd all the yummy goodies and treats. After a day or so dh was like wow, I'm spending a lot of money on just really nothing. So they had to cut back and choose what snacks they wanted. And not a churro, dole whip, popcorn and pickle all in one day :) I really wanted the cinderalla popcorn bucket. But I couldn't justify paying $15 something for it. I would have paid $13. I know it's only $2 more, but the thought of $15 for it was crazy. DH bought the poison apple with ice cream and it was $13.99. He wanted to get 2 that day, but I was thinking that's almost $30 for ice cream. I told him they could get another one the next day. Unfortunately, the next day they were all sold out. I felt so bad. But $30, seriously??? I also wanted to buy us all matching Disneyland Mickey t-shirts, always want to, but never have, that's $100. :( Prices are getting crazy at Disneyland. I know the cost of everything is going up. But they are making so much money off of ear hats alone! I'd like to know what the actual cost of those things are.

To me, there is a threshold. I just can't do it sometimes, no matter how bad I want something :(

Oh, that's another thing (kailuagirl reminded me) -- t-shirts!

In the old days (and by that I mean maybe back to 2009 or 2010), the t-shirts sold at DLR were a better quality. The material was thicker and the shirts were more durable. Somewhere along the line the quality declined. Now the shirts are usually made of very thin material and they don't really last long if you wear them a lot... and yet some of them cost $30! Even $25 for a thin t-shirt seems lofty to me.

Oh, that's another thing (kailuagirl reminded me) -- t-shirts!

In the old days (and by that I mean maybe back to 2009 or 2010), the t-shirts sold at DLR were a better quality. The material was thicker and the shirts were more durable. Somewhere along the line the quality declined. Now the shirts are usually made of very thin material and they don't really last long if you wear them a lot... and yet some of them cost $30! Even $25 for a thin t-shirt seems lofty to me.
Yeah, that's a shame, because some of the designs are very nice. Look at the stitching on a lot of the tshirts next time you are in the Parks - some of it is soooo bad! I've had to return a few tshirts just because the quality was so poor :( It shouldn't be that way when you are paying a premium price.

I can't remember specific prices at the moment but here are items I pass on that I would either try or buy every trip but won't because they are past my comfort zone threshold:

cake pop balls--Have wanted to try one for about 5 years but refuse to pay that much for 2-3 bites of cake ( I did buy my daughter a red velvet cake pop last trip as a one time try but it was one of the bigger ones.)
caramel apples- can't justify the price for something I'm not sure I would even like
Bengal BBQ-portions look tiny for what you pay. . . not going to happen
Clothes
Ears-I have one set of ears and won't buy more because of cost
Mint Tins-I love the mints you can buy in the tins but the last couple trips at least I think they were like $5. . . not going to happen
All the kitchen gear-I eyeball it every trip and pass every trip
Churos
Blue Bayou
Big Thunder Ranch dinner time-Went once at lunch and enjoyed it but hate the fact that dinner gets 2 more items with a big price increase. Really seems a huge price gouge to me.

On the other hand there are some things I will pay more for at Disneyland than I will anywhere else. Some of those items are:
popcorn buckets-I love that my family can share the treat (even if it doesn't last long) and we get the bucket to take home. I won't buy the top tier souvenir buckets though
pretzel rods with mini m&m's
Ice cream at Gibson Girls or Clarabelle's-June was the first time I broke down and bought ice cream at the parks and loved it.
Used to love Tigger Tails until they changed them :sad:
Mickey Pretzels and the cheese that goes with it.
Hot chocolate from Coke Corner

On our trip in September I really didn't buy anything, everything was so expensive that we couldn't see spending the money. I did buy a 60th birthday wine glass but the price was ridiculous, $30. I have a 50th so I wanted the 60th as well. Usually I buy t-shirts or maybe a sweatshirt but the prices were too high. Not even an antenna ball this time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter