1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Price drop question

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by princessmommyx3, Jan 6, 2013.

1. princessmommyx3

princessmommyx3 Mouseketeer

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't seem to find it. I just checked the DCL website and noticed that the price of my room for the Feb 23 cruise has dropped $900 from the price that I paid. If I call, will DCL refund me $900? I have read about this working with KSF and I was wondering if it works for regular price drops as well.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. NancyIL

NancyIL DIS Veteran

You are beyond the penalty date, so DCL will not refund the price difference.

4. com_op_2000

com_op_2000 DVC Member since '93

You would have to cancel your current reservation, pay the late cancellation penalty, and rebook at the current rate. You will have to figure out if this saves you $ in the end.

5. mickeynut1

mickeynut1 DIS Veteran

Both of these are correct. Once you get past the PIF date, there is no refund if your cruise goes down in price. What you have booked would have to be cancelled and rebooked if you wanted to take advantage of the lower price, with penalties applying to the cancellation.

6. disneypoor

disneypoor DH thinks I have a "thing" for Mickey! DVC Gold

Have you called DCL to see if they would refund the money? I know others do not agree with this (and they may be right), but I've called and asked about KSF three times now and have been told that the only time penalties will incur is if you have to cancel your current reservation and make a new one. For example, to get military rates, it is on new reservations only, so you'd have to cancel and make a new reservation to take advantage of that discount. For KSF, you do not have to make a new reservation. Disney said that as long as we were still sailing, they could apply the discount and refund us the money.

Please call and let us know. I've been watching our rates daily and have been hoping that something would come out for our cruise so I could have them adjust my price and refund some money. I'm prepared to be let down if they tell me I can't do that, but I will definitely be reporting if they do. :cool1: Oh yeah, I'm on hold for the fourth time with Disney. I'm asking again. I'll let you know what they say this time around.

Susan

7. NancyIL

NancyIL DIS Veteran

Are you on the Feb. 23 6-night Magic cruise from Galveston? If so and you are looking at the IGT/OGT/VGT prices - those are for new bookings only, and are non-refundable and non-changeable. You would have to cancel your current paid-in-full reservation, absorb the penalty, and rebook.

Right now you are 48 days out from your departure date, and the penalty for cancelling is the deposit you paid (20% of the cruise price). If you cancel 44 days or less prior to your cruise, you will lose 50% of the cruise price.

8. disneypoor

Ok, I just got off of the phone with Disney again.:rotfl2: What I had been told previously is correct. And, I also asked about the price of a cruise dropping just because (not due to military, KSF, etc.), and I was told that no penalties would incur if you called to have the new price applied to your cruise. They said they would simply refund the money to whatever card you used to pay off your cruise.

So, I guess it depends on why the price of your cruise dropped. If it wasn't due to discount (I bet it was though) or if it is because of a promotion that doesn't require a new booking, you will be able to call and get a refund. If it is due to a promotion that requires a new booking, you'll have to weigh the costs of canceling, paying the penalties, and rebooking a new cruise. Hope this helps.

I don't know why I get so excited about this stuff because the CM I just spoke to said that my cruise is about full, so I highly doubt I will be getting any money back anyhow. Oh well! Life is good....I'm sailing soon!:yay:

Susan

9. princessmommyx3

Thanks for all of your help guys! We are on the Feb 23 out of Galveston. I am not sure if it matters or not but we are concierge in a 1 bedroom. I just searched the site for our cruise with the right # of people (2 adults, 3 kids) and the price it gave me for a 1 bedroom today is $900 less than our booking price. There did not appear to be any GTY involved. We are using a TA, so I am not sure if I can call DCL or if I have to go through the TA. I guess I will try calling myself and see if they will talk to me, if not I will call my TA tomorrow and have her check. I will keep you all updated.

10. disneypoor

Let us know what you find out.

Susan

11. princessmommyx3

I called earlier and they said I had to go through my TA. I sent her an email & should hear back tomorrow.

12. lbgraves

lbgraves Little Cinderella's Mommy

Always call and ask, or have your TA do so. :) We have had friends get refunds from DCL for basic price drops almost a month before the cruise. These were just regular price drops, not because of a discounted rate. Many on our 2006 cruise switched from higher categories to a cat 12 gty back when you could book 4 in them but they only slept 3. They got substantial refunds when they did that!

13. princessmommyx3

That is so good to hear! This appears to be a regular price drop (no GTY or promotions involved) that I just happened to notice by checking the site. I can't wait to hear from my TA tomorrow - fingers crossed for getting $900 back!!!

14. disneypoor

Hi, OP! Just wondering if you heard from your TA today? I'm hoping you got good news and are out shopping with your $900. Lol!
    Susan

15. princessmommyx3

Unfortunately I didn't hear back from her today which is unusual because she almost always replies very quickly. If I haven't heard from her by noon tomorrow then I am going to give her a call. I will be sure to let you know what happens.

16. disneypoor

Sorry you didn't hear today. I hope you report back with good news tomorrow.

17. princessmommyx3

I finally heard back from my TA this afternoon and YES, DCL is going to refund us $972 due to the price drop!!! :yay: She said that she has never seen DCL drop prices like this for no apparent reason which is why she hadn't been checking for me. I am so grateful to DCL for refunding our money with only 46 days left until our cruise. I was really expecting them to say no.

18. NancyIL

NancyIL DIS Veteran

I expected them to say no, too, but glad they didn't! Enjoy your extra travel funds!

19. Nikisha421

Nikisha421 i'm the mom thats hoping and praying that my Disne

Wow what a great savings !!!!

20. jcretacc

jcretacc Earning My Ears

Thats a great amount of a refund. It never hurts to ask :yay:

21. KTJ

KTJ Earning My Ears

How do we find out the cancellation penalty? This thread prompted me to check online and the cost of our cruise has dropped $2000.