Previous Greece & China ABDers please help!!!

Well the decision is in ....[queue the drumroll!] it's Greece! Thank you all for the advice and comments, they were much appreciated. As I told my travel agent, China will have to duke it out with the River Cruise for 2017 (depending on feedback). We are also hoping they modify the China itinerary a little in 2017 to incorporate Shanghai. Everyone is very excited. Thanks again!

Well the decision is in ....[queue the drumroll!] it's Greece! Thank you all for the advice and comments, they were much appreciated. As I told my travel agent, China will have to duke it out with the River Cruise for 2017 (depending on feedback). We are also hoping they modify the China itinerary a little in 2017 to incorporate Shanghai. Everyone is very excited. Thanks again!
You're going to love it! I can hardly wait to hear your impressions! :thumbsup2

Sayhello

You're going to love it! I can hardly wait to hear your impressions! :thumbsup2

Sayhello
Thanks so much--I'm sure we will! Now that the decision has been made I am *so* excited. I think it's going to be a great experience for all. DD is over the moon :) Need to get out my copy of D'Aulaires!

We're going to Greece with ABD next summer, too. I'm glad you started this thread because I'm now even more excited about it! :)

We're going to Greece with ABD next summer, too. I'm glad you started this thread because I'm now even more excited about it! :)

I am so excited, too! I think it's going to be a fabulous trip.

Is anyone doing the June 10th? That's when we're booked.

We're signed up on 6/28. We wanted to do the 6/10 but my kids don't get out of school until 6/9 and coming from the west coast we couldn't get there in time.

Sounds like you made a great choice. We have been in Greece once and loved it. Plus let them "shake out" the bugs in the river cruise and maybe go back when the tour is more seasoned. Now bone up on the food, the wine, the olive oils, etc.....

Sounds like you made a great choice. We have been in Greece once and loved it. Plus let them "shake out" the bugs in the river cruise and maybe go back when the tour is more seasoned. Now bone up on the food, the wine, the olive oils, etc.....

Thanks :) And that sounds like *great* advice--I better start now!

I'm sure it was a tough decision to cancel the River Cruise but I agree, it may be better to wait a year or two until all the "bugs" are worked out. I'm sure you will love Greece. While I love being on the Inaugural DCL cruises, sometimes there are "bugs"....for example, on the 9 night Norweigian Fjords cruise this past June, I went on an excursion that was listed as a "Leisurely 2 mile hike"....there was nothing leisurely about it - it was greulling, uphill and over uneven terrain. When I got back onboard DCL's response was "we used the descriptions we were provided by the tour operators because we have never visited Olden Norway before".

I'm sure it was a tough decision to cancel the River Cruise but I agree, it may be better to wait a year or two until all the "bugs" are worked out. I'm sure you will love Greece. While I love being on the Inaugural DCL cruises, sometimes there are "bugs"....for example, on the 9 night Norweigian Fjords cruise this past June, I went on an excursion that was listed as a "Leisurely 2 mile hike"....there was nothing leisurely about it - it was greulling, uphill and over uneven terrain. When I got back onboard DCL's response was "we used the descriptions we were provided by the tour operators because we have never visited Olden Norway before".

Thanks so much, Elaine! It was a very tough decision because as you mentioned being on an inaugural is so cool, but I feel really good about the decision and haven't had any itinerary change remorse, LOL. Your example is perfect, and one of the driving forces in putting off the trip--we want to give them time to figure out all the logistics before jumping on.

I know you've already made a decision so my input is a little late but I went on the ABD China trip this summer( July 2015) and it was OUTSTANDING! I travel a lot, usually pretty high end -and this trip did not disappoint. All of the hotels were absolute top of the line and China was a fascinating country. The trip involves a lot of travel and 5 internal flights in the 12 days so don't expect it to be laid back and relaxing- but you're touring a very large country and I never found it overwhelming as disney took care of everything for us. Our ABD guides Jason and Daisy were outta this world wonderful, accommodating and all around fantastic. I can't recommend this trip enough. We all literally cried when we said good by to everyone on the last morning. Shanghi was part of our itinerary on this trip- I saw a comment above about someone hoping they added it- it's already there. The only things I'd recommend are to add a day or two to the start and finish because you'll enjoy having extra time in Beijing and Hong Kong. It was an amazing trip that I strongly urge you to consider over the river cruise.

I know you've already made a decision so my input is a little late but I went on the ABD China trip this summer( July 2015) and it was OUTSTANDING! I travel a lot, usually pretty high end -and this trip did not disappoint. All of the hotels were absolute top of the line and China was a fascinating country. The trip involves a lot of travel and 5 internal flights in the 12 days so don't expect it to be laid back and relaxing- but you're touring a very large country and I never found it overwhelming as disney took care of everything for us. Our ABD guides Jason and Daisy were outta this world wonderful, accommodating and all around fantastic. I can't recommend this trip enough. We all literally cried when we said good by to everyone on the last morning. Shanghi was part of our itinerary on this trip- I saw a comment above about someone hoping they added it- it's already there. The only things I'd recommend are to add a day or two to the start and finish because you'll enjoy having extra time in Beijing and Hong Kong. It was an amazing trip that I strongly urge you to consider over the river cruise.

Thanks so much for chiming in! I'm so glad to read you comments and hear how much you enjoyed China this year. We did decide to go to Greece in 2016, but China is definitely the #1 choice for 2017. We were going to try to do China for Christmas 2016, but not sure we can swing two ABDs in one year :) The Shanghai comment I made was in reference to including Shanghai Disney which is supposed to open in Spring 2016. The way the itinerary is now, there really isn't time (although we were considering missing all of day #9 to do it on our own if we went). I think many people are hoping they reimagine the itinerary for 2017 to include it (or do an add-on). Any plans to do a trip report? (hint hint, LOL). Thanks again!

I hear the temperature in southern China can be overwhelming. Can anyone confirm--or not?

We were in Guangzhou and Hong Kong in mid April and it was very warm and very humid. I'd imagine it would just get warmer as the spring/summer goes on.

Yes, I think it is supposed to be very warm and humid in China in the summer, which is one of the reasons we were looking at the Christmas trip. But I think Greece is supposed to be just as hot in the summer.

That's why we're going to Greece in mid-June instead of July or August. With our kids' school schedules, off season isn't an option. Personally, I like traveling in April or October, but school is in full swing then. Oh well, I guess we all have to sweat it out.

I have done both trips. I loved them both. The China was my first ABD. It has changed since I went on it in that The terracotta warriors are not included. Holding a Panda was absolutely one on my highlights. Best money I spent. I was there in Oct and it was still very warm. Greece is amazing. I loved the food probably the best of any trip I have been on. I went in June and it was hot. Yopu will need to look at the time of year you want to travel as both can be extremely HOT.

I have done both trips. I loved them both. The China was my first ABD. It has changed since I went on it in that The terracotta warriors are not included. Holding a Panda was absolutely one on my highlights. Best money I spent. I was there in Oct and it was still very warm. Greece is amazing. I loved the food probably the best of any trip I have been on. I went in June and it was hot. Yopu will need to look at the time of year you want to travel as both can be extremely HOT.

Thanks so much for posting, Bliscum! I love hearing from people who have been on both. I think there is a moratorium on holding the Pandas right now so that was another factor in our decision to put off to 2017 (giving it more time to get going again as we really would like to do that). The terra-cotta warriors are one of the big reasons I want to go--I didn't realize they hadn't done them before. It makes for a long day with two flights in one day, but I suspect very worth it. So glad to hear that Greece is probably your favorite. I've heard that from a couple of people now. We are really looking forward to it. We're going in late June so I'm a little worried about the heat, but we'll deal. Couldn't get away earlier unfortunately. Thanks again.

From what I understand, Disney will not "sponsor" the panda holding thing due to animal rights concerns. But apparently you'll still be given the opportunity to do so for an extra fee (about $200). I also hear that it's amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!