Pressler to be CEO of Gap

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by AuntBJ, Sep 26, 2002.

1. AuntBJ

AuntBJ DIS Veteran

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mjstaceyuofm

mjstaceyuofm Mouseketeer

I'm speechless!!!!!

The :jester: is gone!!!!!!

4. WebmasterCricket

WebmasterCricket <font color=blue>Administrator<br><font color=red> Administrator

Official press release on the "GAP" site:

HERE

5. mjstaceyuofm

mjstaceyuofm Mouseketeer

Now all we need are the posts from AV and Scoop telling us they knew days ago, but just couldn't say anything.....

6. mjstaceyuofm

mjstaceyuofm Mouseketeer

That's why we enjoy having you guys around. There's always more to the story than what's available on MSNBC. Interesting about the two candidates. Does Al Weiss fit into the fray at all?

7. space42

space42 WDW Addict

Happy Day.

Just saw the story on CNN Headline News.
    Funny that they didn't really mention him "leaving" Disney just that he is the new CEO of Gap.

Pre$$ler was always a retail guy anyway. I'm sure he'll do well back in retail. Good luck Paul!

8. DisneyKidds

DisneyKidds <font color=green>The TF thanks DisneyKidds for mo

So the snowball begins to pick up speed and grow :cool:. Combine this with a reacquired realization that the guest experience at the Disney parks does have an impact on the bottom line, and things could be looking up. Granted, we are at the bottom of a large pit, but you have to start clawing your way back somewhere.

9. jlima

jlima Beep Beep!

MEDIA & MARKETING

Gap Selects Paul Pressler,
    Disney Veteran, as CEO

A WALL STREET JOURNAL ONLINE NEWS ROUNDUP

SAN FRANCISCO-- Gap Inc. selected Paul Pressler, a 15-year veteran of Walt Disney Co., to succeed Millard Drexler as president and chief executive of the specialty-clothing retailer.

Mr. Pressler, 46 years old, most recently was chairman of Disney's global theme-park and resorts division.

"We conducted a comprehensive search for new leadership and were compelled by Paul's track record and depth of experience in marketing one of the world's most beloved brands," Donald Fisher, Gap's chairman and founder, said in a prepared statement Thursday.

He said he will recommend that Mr. Pressler be appointed a director.

As chairman of Disney's parks and resorts, Mr. Pressler was for Disney's six U.S. theme parks in California and Florida, and four international sites in Paris and Tokyo, as well as for the development of Disney's eleventh theme park in Hong Kong. With revenues of over $6 billion, the division also includes more than 22 hotels, two cruise ships and Walt Disney Imagineering, the division that creates, designs and builds such assets.

Previously, Mr. Pressler served as president of the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, Calif., where he led the expansion of Disney's original theme park.

"I am honored to have the opportunity to lead the many talented people at Gap Inc. Together, we will continue the great legacy of the Gap, Old Navy and Banana Republic brands, while creating a new and exciting vision of the future," Mr. Pressler said in a written statement

10. Walt's Frozen Head

Walt's Frozen Head DIS Veteran<br><font color="blue">A comfortable 32

This announcement from the Gap is the most positive hard news about Disney I've heard in at least five years.

Please please please let this be the tip of the iceberg.

-WFH

11. Peter Pirate

Peter Pirate Its not the end of civilization...But you can see

After weeks of reading Landbaron talk in circles it's nice to finally have some tangible (and fantastic) news to discuss.:D

It will be interesting to see what step two is (the replacement) and I think the basic moves made at WDW (locally) appear to have been a harbinger of things to come...And hopefully a harbinger of more things to come without the 'penny pincher' in charge ... or is he just another fall guy? It would appear that the tide may be changed and perhaps ME really is runnng for his life.
    :cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

12. doubletrouble_vb

doubletrouble_vb Inspired

So tell me...why is my stock down again this morning?

13. WDWHound

WDWHound DIS Veteran

Yippee! Yahoo!! :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

This is great news for all concerned. Disney gets a chance to fill Presslers position with someone who understands the parks (I pray that they take advantage of this opportunity) and Pressler lands a job that he is perfectly suited for (the man is very gifted in the ways of retail management).

As others have said, Disney may finally be seeing the light. The return of early entry, the return of parades and fireworks and parades on some week nights in the off season, the presure on Eisner to perform, the departure of Pressler, all of these are good things. Lets us hope they signal a trend that will lead Disney back from the depths of mediocrity.

14. DisneyKidds

A question. Now the PP is out and there is a short list of replacement candidates, whose fingerprints are on the recent decisions to expand evening entertainment at the MK and to reinstate EE, er, I mean start Magic Hour?
    99 percent of the general public has no idea what a :jester: PP really was and how he has effected the Disney Company. I would imagine an equally large percentage of analysts on the street are in the same boat. The stock going down could be a knee jerk reaction to Disney apparently 'losing' a high ranking executive.

Little do they know that Disney is not 'losing' anything, and PP is just plain rank ;).

15. DVCDAVE

DVCDAVE Senior Member

All I can add at this point, without starting a new thread, is Disney DID announce the settlement of the Wide World of Sports lawsuit that has been ongoing for years. The terms of the settlement were NOT disclosed in court papers filed today due to a confidentiality agreement with the parties envolved.

Boy oh Boy !! THE LOCOMOTIVE IS PICKING UP STEAM FAST !!

16. Peter Pirate

Peter Pirate Its not the end of civilization...But you can see

Good news DVCDave, now any word on the Pooh lawsuit? Get that out of the way and the playing field clears up a little.

I'm with you Scoop on the Eisner situation. I oft - think about 'what if' he miraculously becomes Walt-reincarnate!!! What will the threepers do? (What will they do?) As for me I don't care whether Eisner does it, Katzenberg, Jobs or Pug-Nosed Ernie with the Big Butt...I just want it turned around and I like what I'm seeing. Sure maybe they're just baby steps but baby steps can lead to an eventual sprint!!!

Scoop, do you really think Weiss can be blamed by any thinking person for the recent WDW downturn? If so, I find that sad...

:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

17. JudySue

JudySue The Bluebird Princess

Great News!!!! Please please PLEASE ... Judson Green!!

18. WDWHound

WDWHound DIS Veteran

If Eisner begins to revitalize the parks by building new E tickets and re-emphising maintenance , I will be all for it it. I have happily noted that there seems to be a new emphisis on maintence at both Disneyland and WDW. This is great news (even if it did keep me from riding the Haunted Mansion last week). My problems with Eisner have to do with the poor decisions he has made, not with the man himself. If he starts making good decisions, I will support him. My one concern would be that he might return to his old ways once he was out of hot water.

19. DisneyKidds

But Scoop - perhaps Ei$ner can be born again. Pixie dust baptised in the fairy Magic spirit. Perhaps he can rededicate is life to the Walt doctrine ;).

Seriously though. As they say, a leopard can't change it's spots. So those who find Ei$ner inept will always want him out. But I guess they won't complain if it takes an extra year if he is adding new and wonderful Magnificent, Majestic and Magical things.

20. tfc3rid

tfc3rid DIS Veteran

AV on the 19th on the Thread regarding Imagineering R&D going...

He mentioned... More is on the way...

21. HB2K

HB2K I Spit Hot Fire!

I'll kick whomever is sitting in the drivers seat of car 1 out and I'll be speeding to WDW.

Just because I'm pessimistic about the future (and admittedly, I'm less today than I was yesterday) doesn't mean I can't applaud a positive change.

The more positive changes, the more you will see people start to change cars. I'm not there yet, but I'm at least looking up instead of down.