Presents for the Mailman???

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by GOOFY4DONALD, Oct 29, 2006.

1. GOOFY4DONALD

GOOFY4DONALD DH finished his plate at 50's Prime Time. They wer

I would like to give something to my mailman this Christmas. He has gone well out of his way to help when it was needed and I want to give him something. Now I know that you can't give them anything that could be considered monetairy (sp?) No gift cards or anything like that but what can you give them?
    Thanks in advance.
    goofy4donald

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mickeyfan2

mickeyfan2 DIS Veteran

We always put a $20 bill into a card that is put into the mailbox. It is always taken and a thank you is always left in our mailbox.

4. GOOFY4DONALD

I was wanting to to that but I heard that they can't take money.

5. summerrluvv

summerrluvv <font color=darkorchid>Work Hard. Have Fun.<br><f

Chocolates or a nice tin of the gourmet cookies they sell at Sam's/Costco, etc. I picked up a couple of the tins at Sam's that will make nice gifts for aftercare teachers, etc. I don't gift my mailman because I never have the same one and honestly they do a horrible job. I'm always getting other people's mail.

6. summerrluvv

summerrluvv <font color=darkorchid>Work Hard. Have Fun.<br><f

They aren't supposed to accept monetary gifts, as they are Federal employees, and I suspect if they got caught, they would be fired.

7. GOOFY4DONALD

Let me ask this... I live on a rural route. My mailman works for a company contracted by the USPS. Do the same rules apply?

8. RED23

RED23 Mouseketeer

My Dad was a mail carrier for over 40 years and he always received monetary gifts. It came in very handy for Chrismas shopping. We always give our mail carrier around $20 -$25 and always receive a thank you card. If you don't feel comfortable leaving money my dad would also get packaged candy, cookies, even bottles of liquor. Whatever you decide, I'm sure that he wil appreciate it.

Red

9. patsal

patsal <font color=FF3399>I've discovered I don't need to

When I had a regular mailman I would always get him a giftcard and a nice card thanking him for his hard work--giftcards are nto casha nd areok--I follow the same rule when working with government employees as I did with those who are in a religious order--they are not supposed to accept money and if they do it has to be given to the church, a giftcard though they can keep. I have not had the same mail carrier for greater than two weeks in a row over teh past two years. I wouldn't know who was gettign the gift so for this year and until I get a "permanant Mail carrier" I'm just going to skip it this year.

10. Mom2micayla

Mom2micayla DIS Veteran

We've never given a mail carrier a gift, but I'd think a giftcard would be fine. Perhaps you can contact his office and ask? I wouldn't mention his name of course.

As to the candy route.. keep in mind that lot of people are diabetic and won't be able to eat it. And alot of people are on low carb diets. I think I'd avoid candy if you can.

11. MissyDVC

MissyDVC <font color=deeppink>Well, technically, you never

We love our mail carrier and have always given him $20 and a box of candy. I figure if he doesn't want the candy, he can give it to his wife. He goes above and beyond for us and always thanks us for our "generousity" :)

12. Kycha

Kycha <font color=peach>I'm a grouch with a heart <font

The law states that a mail carrier cannot accept monetary tips or gifts valued over $20.

13. Shere_Khan

Shere_Khan In a World of My Own

I wonder if you know him/her well enough and want to give a gift, maybe you could ask for his address and mail him a card. That wouldn't be giving the mailman a gift, it would be giving a friend a gift. That could work right?

14. mickeyfan2

mickeyfan2 DIS Veteran

I knew about the limit that is why we give what we do.

15. Bearvet

Bearvet DIS Veteran

I'm lucky - I have A Mail Lady!! I usually give her Yankee Candle, Bath & Body, etc. I always get a nice note from her, so I think she likes it.

16. Pea-n-Me

Pea-n-Me DIS Veteran

We give $20 and a card. He seems to appreciate it. :)

17. Kycha

I'm sorry, but my response was not addressed to you. It was addressed to everyone else who said that monetary gifts are not allowed, when a quick google search(which is what I did) will give you the correct information.

18. fabshelly

fabshelly DIS Veteran

Kycha, who's the cute guy in your avatar?

We give Emma, our regular mailperson, 20.00. We give James, the "Emma's Day Off" mailperson, 10.00.

19. A Mickeyfan

A Mickeyfan DIS Veteran

My mail carrier was transfered to another route last month :sad1:
    Her & I always talked when she had to bring up a (Disney) package to the door. She is a big Disney fan too. When I found out she was leaving, I happened to have gotten my order from the online catalog delived. I had ordered a Mickey & Minnie salt & pepper shaker.. so I wrapped them up, placed them in the mailbox (yes, I know illegal) with a card on it addressed to her.. She loved it...
    I miss her already...

20. tinan

tinan DIS Veteran

We usually give our mailman a gift certificate to a local restaurant I know he likes. We have a mailslot so our mail comes directly into our house so I just try to catch him when he is delivering and give him a card with the gift card. He is always very thankful.

21. Kycha

:happytv: That is Hiro Nakamura. He is a character from the NBC series "Heroes".

I just realized I hit my 1000th post. Yeah me!