Preparing breakfast in room - first timer question

cmbpanda

Mouseketeer
Hi. We are staying at the contemporary resort in a standard tower room. We would like to have breakfast in our room some mornings.
Is the fridge big enough to store milk , juice & yogurt and a bit of fruit?

Also do the rooms have bowls etc and silverware so the kids can have cereal? Or will the hotel supply these if I ask?

Also it says they supply coffee with the coffee maker - do they replace used coffee each day or once you have used the supply do you have to get more from a store?

T

It would be great if someone knows the answers :)

I haven't stayed at the Contemporary since 1976. But we've been to the Poly and Beach Club, so here's my best guess at the answers.

We always bring our own plastic forks and spoons, as well as styrofoam bowls and paper plates. None of these have been provided in the resort rooms.

The fridge is a small dorm fridge. If you're buying milk or juice, buy it by the half gallon or quart; it's a lot easier to store a few quarts than a gallon.

Not sure about the coffee. We always buy the refillable mugs. I run down for coffee and tea while my husband showers.

If your'e not driving, consider having groceries delivered by either www.gardengrocer.com or www.wegoshop.com . Both deliver to the resorts.

We're usually guests at WL, and as for room supplies... None, but easy to go down to the QS and pick up bowls, plates and plastic utensils for your room...

Fridge is dorm size but will hold quarts and half gallons easily...

Coffee, in room they sort of replenish daily but that's hit or miss, we catch housekeeping in the halls and always ask for more to be safe, better to have extra then a morning without !

We stayed at the WL in 2010 and ate most breakfasts in our room. We brought along bowls and spoons and a small thing of dish soap so we could wash and reuse them. We also stuck a box of Cheerios in our suitcase and ate those up and had room for souvenirs.

They should replenish the coffee daily in regular rooms (if you've read about this not being the case, it is probably DVC resorts). We bring our own coffee and filters when we stay DVC, but you shouldn't have to worry about that.

I agree with the others, but half gallons of milk and you should be able to fit everything in the fridge just fine.

If you are not buying the cereal and such at the food court, then you need to provide your own bowls and utensils.

when we stayed at WL this past spring we did the same-I imagine fridge size is the same. We bought 2 half gallons of milk and a half gallon of juice and it all fit in the fridge along with yogurt, hummus, deli meat. We ordered from garden grocer and also packed food in our checked luggage. The resort accepted the delivery and put it in a fridge until we got there. I was texted by garden grocer while on the magical express that my order was with bell services. When we checked in, bell services delivered our order to the room-easy!

We also packed plastic bowls, gladware, ziploc baggies, refillable water bottles and spoons and had garden grocer deliver a roll of paper towels. We also ordered gallon size waters from garden grocer-I hate FL water and just used our refillable bottles. We also brought a sponge and small container of dish soap. It worked out very well.

As for coffee....hubby made it once in the room and couldn't even swallow it-he said it was the grossest coffee he has ever had. I wonder if the instant starbucks coffee would be better? Don't know-I am not a coffee drinker but I do believe Contemporary has a place to get "real coffee"

The fridge is big enough for 1/2 gallon milk, drinks ect.

You have to supply your own bowls and flatware. I usually buy some plastic ones to bring.

They do resupply the coffee that is used up but I understand it's horrible coffee. I don't drink coffee anymore so I've no idea how it tastes there.

Have a great trip!

Thank you all so much. That is really useful information. We will almost certainly do a garden grocer order for breakfast, snacks and paper towel etc. and will either bring or buy plastic cutlery and bowels etc. :). We will either make coffee in room or use the refillable mugs ( depends what tastes better).

If you only are interested in breakfast items, and if you have the room, I would pack paper bowls and spoons and cereal and just buy the milk from the hotel store. But if you are interested in more than just breakfast items, I would do Garden Grocer (or if you're only interested in buying non-perishables, you can also order from another online store, like Amazon, and just have it delivered to your resort).

If you plan to drive, and would like some extra "cool" space, I would pack a cooler in your trunk. Last year, with five of us, we had beer, and wine, and juice boxes and water that we wanted to keep cool, along with some cut up fruit and veggies that we brought along. There was simply not enough room in the hotel fridge, so we kept our cooler packed and replenished the ice daily. It was great to have a little extra refrigerated space.

I think housekeeping replenishes the coffee pods (or will upon request).

jennybdis said:
If you only are interested in breakfast items, and if you have the room, I would pack paper bowls and spoons and cereal and just buy the milk from the hotel store. But if you are interested in more than just breakfast items, I would do Garden Grocer (or if you're only interested in buying non-perishables, you can also order from another online store, like Amazon, and just have it delivered to your resort).

If you plan to drive, and would like some extra "cool" space, I would pack a cooler in your trunk. Last year, with five of us, we had beer, and wine, and juice boxes and water that we wanted to keep cool, along with some cut up fruit and veggies that we brought along. There was simply not enough room in the hotel fridge, so we kept our cooler packed and replenished the ice daily. It was great to have a little extra refrigerated space.

I think housekeeping replenishes the coffee pods (or will upon request).

Thanks. We,re flying from UK, so will bring the bare minimum of plastic cutlery & bowls & will order the rest. We want fruit, yogurt & snacks as well as cereal. We can buy prepared fruit from grocery then use the bowls for cereal. We'll have to swallow bar prices for the odd cold beer, but hey - that's what holidays are for :)

We always make a grocery stop on the way to WDW from the airport and always get breakfast foods. We found that bringing some of those Glad containers with lids that you can buy in the supermarket work great for cereal, and doubles as a container to hold all of the extra food from our TS doggie bags. When it's time to fly home, any left over cereal, crackers, etc. fit nicely in the containers and we don't worry about it opening in the suitcase. Cereal spoons fit nicely on the diagonal inside the containers.

Thank you all so much. That is really useful information. We will almost certainly do a garden grocer order for breakfast, snacks and paper towel etc. and will either bring or buy plastic cutlery and bowels etc. :). We will either make coffee in room or use the refillable mugs ( depends what tastes better).

Coffee in room and coffee in food court same brand. They both suck! It's a nestle brand though and I know some friends from England who love nescafe which is the same brand as the coffee at WDW. So if you like nescafe you might be okay.

Thanks. We,re flying from UK, so will bring the bare minimum of plastic cutlery & bowls & will order the rest. We want fruit, yogurt & snacks as well as cereal. We can buy prepared fruit from grocery then use the bowls for cereal. We'll have to swallow bar prices for the odd cold beer, but hey - that's what holidays are for :)

um you can order beer with the grocery delivery companies, just saying;)

bookgirl said:
Coffee in room and coffee in food court same brand. They both suck! It's a nestle brand though and I know some friends from England who love nescafe which is the same brand as the coffee at WDW. So if you like nescafe you might be okay.

Oh, we'll probably be ok then. I'm not a huge coffee drinker and can't cope with strong coffee - just need something warm and wet! :)

bookgirl said:
um you can order beer with the grocery delivery companies, just saying;)

Thanks. I have thought about it, but I read somewhere that, because they need to see ID if delivering alcohol, you have to be there when they deliver and I'm worried that if we book it for the evening we arrive and the flight is late or we get held up in an immigration line then we will miss the delivery etc. I don't know if there is a way round this. If there is I'd be interested to know.

I've never done it, but I think I read somewhere that they'll accept a fax of your driver's licence as proof that you're of age. Look into it; I'm sure there's a way to do it.

They also sell (although more expensive than ordering it I'm sure) beer and wine in the CS at the Contemporary. The Contempo Cafe has beer and wine in twist open in their fridges. Incase you can't get it delivered. Better than getting it at the bar.

beebeeryan said:
They also sell (although more expensive than ordering it I'm sure) beer and wine in the CS at the Contemporary. The Contempo Cafe has beer and wine in twist open in their fridges. Incase you can't get it delivered. Better than getting it at the bar.

All the resorts have a small confectionary type niche, but the beers are pretty pricey, like 5.50 fir a bottle (12 oz) same for the rest of the alcohol regime... You pay dearly .... If 2 or more are going to consume, better to rent a car for a day and go off property or at least bus to where you can walk to the Hess Station...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter