Pre-Trip Planning: Danielle's 2008 WDW Christmas Adventure

Enjoying the TR! I love your daughter's name, since that is my name as well! :) I also like the pictures that you have posted, they look great.

Oh yeah, wanted to mention that our girls must be about the same age! My daughter was 5 years 1 mo. when we went at Thanksgiving this past year!

:welcome:

... and thanks for reading!!

I'm working on Day 3 now ... but I'm also trying to put some videos into the TR (I only shot about 6 hours worth!! :rotfl2:) - but Photobucket has a 100 MB limit on videos, so that makes it kinda tough ... so I just may have to stick to photos ...

Have you asked J.L. about putting some video on the Disney Driven Life website? I too would love to see the opening ceremony on video (to see what I've been missing....)

Then you could include a link to the site to see video.

Have you asked J.L. about putting some video on the Disney Driven Life website? I too would love to see the opening ceremony on video (to see what I've been missing....)

Then you could include a link to the site to see video.

Actually - my DW has taken some umbrage with me posting the Welcoming Ceremony ... Why?? To paraphrase her:

It's special! If people want to see the Welcoming Ceremony, they need to wake up at 6 am and get their butts over to the Magic Kingdom!! :rotfl2:

And frankly, I can't disagree with her too much ... :)

But - at the same time - I figure if I post at least snippets of the Welcoming Ceremony, it just may inspire a few of you to wake up at 6 am and get your butts over to the Magic Kingdom ... :lmao:

... and spreading some pixiedust: is what this little exercise is supposed to be about anyway ...

So - I'll be working on putting something together ... (and I'm used to the DW's grumbling at this point ... :upsidedow )

P.S. I also taped ALL of Fantasmic! from a good center seat - but I haven't had a chance to see how the video came out ...

Actually - my DW has taken some umbrage with me posting the Welcoming Ceremony ... Why?? To paraphrase her:

It's special! If people want to see the Welcoming Ceremony, they need to wake up at 6 am and get their butts over to the Magic Kingdom!! :rotfl2:

And frankly, I can't disagree with her too much ... :)

But - at the same time - I figure if I post at least snippets of the Welcoming Ceremony, it just may inspire a few of you to wake up at 6 am and get your butts over to the Magic Kingdom ... :lmao:

... and spreading some pixiedust: is what this little exercise is supposed to be about anyway ...

So - I'll be working on putting something together ... (and I'm used to the DW's grumbling at this point ... :upsidedow )

P.S. I also taped ALL of Fantasmic! from a good center seat - but I haven't had a chance to see how the video came out ...

Oh! I LOVE Fantasmic! We didn't get to see it this time around, :scratchin but that always gives me the excuse to go back!

Isn't it a great show? I cried when I saw it!

Fantasmic! is ... amazing!! wonderful!! incredible!! and ...

... usually very :crowded: :crowded: :crowded: :lmao:

But we lucked out and got great seats right in the center ... (that kinda luck will probably end now that they've cut way back on the number of shows ... :sad2: )

Anyway, the DW figured out a way to load larger videos onto Photobucket and stay under the 100 MB limit ...

So I'm going to take a step back to Day #1 and dinner at Chef Mickey's:

http://s542.photobucket.com/albums/gg424/joelpwdw/?action=view&current=minnie.flv

(Hope this works ... the resolution is not the best, but you'll get the idea ...)

Working on the MK "Welcoming Ceremony" ...

The 2009 Planning DVD arrived in the mail yesterday ...:cheer2:

... guess I better finish this TR so I can start on a new PTR ... :rotfl2:

Day 3 is done - I just need to download, edit - and then upload about 45 seconds of video ...

But first things first: :laundy:

Have a magical day!! pixiedust:

Finally - it's time for:

Day 3 – Dec 8: “Hi – We’re the Dream Squad”

Monday December 8 dawned clear and sunny – and Vicki and I were psyched for a full day at Epcot, and Danielle’s first ride on Soarin’!! But for some reason – even though we were up at 6:00 am (!!) – we dawdled in the hotel room and ended up grabbing muffins and juice at The Mara, rushing to the bus stop, and eating on the bus to Epcot. We made it to the rope drop at about 8:50 – so we weren’t in the front of the line and I knew my goal of riding the first Soarin’ flight of the day wasn’t gonna happen …

The “parade” to Soarin’ is a lot of fun and a great way to start the day at Epcot …

We got in line, and a few minutes later I hear “I gotta go potty!” … (so we were definitely not gonna be on the first Soarin’ flight of the day …!!)

Soooo – Vicki takes Danielle in hand and heads back down the line (in the opposite direction we’re supposed to be going …) and I hold our spot and proceed towards our destination … and end up waiting for them for about 15 minutes at the first Soarin’ “checkpoint” (cuz they just joined the end of the queue after taking care of business …)

Danielle was a little trepidatious about Soarin’ – but Vicki and I didn’t care, because we figured if she can handle some of the roller coasters she’s been on, Soarin’ would be a breeze … and it was (literally and figuratively …)

And – according to plan - we grabbed Fastpasses to ride again …

… and then headed into the Circle of Life theatre (with only 2 minute wait for the film to start). I was a little concerned about Danielle seeing this movie – it had the potential to freak her out (more than Space Mountain!!) about the future of our Planet Earth – but she seemed to “enjoy” it and get the message without becoming paranoid.

We had a pretty solid touring plan for Epcot: we were going to focus on the “right” side of the park (Futureworld, and then World Showcase after 11:00 …) until our lunch ADR at The Coral Reef … and after lunch we would hit The Living Seas Pavilion and (maybe) some other FW attractions, before an afternoon break at the AKL. Then back to the “right” side of the WS that evening, picking up where we left off, and grabbing dinner at a CS place somewhere in the WS …

We figured Living with the Land would be a tad boring for our DD-5, so we headed over to the Imagination Pavilion for “Journey Into Imagination with Figment” – which we had never seen before. We took our time, relaxing and enjoying the views and the fountains a bit … but I was a little ahead of Vicki and Danielle as we got to the entrance …

… where I was met by a group of CMs who said …

“Hi – we’re the Dream Squad!!”

… which –of course – are words I’ve been wishing to hear for almost two years!! (Magical Moment #12!!)

I’d read a bunch of stories about other people running into the Dream Squad, so I knew how the CMs would be dressed, and I’d always figured I’d respond in a “WDW appropriate” manner – but I guess my conscious mind just did not register who they were and what was happening …

So I was really surprised and numbly (but happily!!) accepted a Dream Fastpass from them … and continued walking into the attraction – and forgot to turn around, turn on the videocamera, and take pictures of Vicki and Danielle getting their Dream Fastpasses!! (basically – my brain just about shut down when I saw that DFP in my hands!!)

However, after a minute-or-so of jumping up and down and doing the happy dance with the DW and DD, I did recover enough to capture the group of total strangers who followed us getting their Dream Fastpasses …

http://s542.photobucket.com/albums/gg424/joelpwdw/?action=view&current=dream_fastpass.flv

In hindsight – and thinking back on how I approached the entrance to “Journey Into Imagination” - I think my subconscious mind took over my body about 100 feet from the entrance … I remember seeing 2 or 3 CMs waiting by the doorway, dressed in the blue and grey “Dream Squad” vests, and with big smiles on their faces … … but it wasn’t like I REALLY recognized them … and I didn’t turn back to Vicki and Danielle to let them know what I thought was about to happen … But I seem to recall some part of me thinking “Hey – I gotta get to those CMs – and fast!!”

And we were on a DFP “high” for the rest of the day …

“Journey Into Imagination with Figment” is definitely geared to the youngsters – and the DD liked it. We exited and then let DD blow off some steam in the Image Works lab – conducting music, making photos, etc. etc. …

Serendipitously, there was a family of three also hanging out in the Image Works Lab who had never done Soarin’ (imagine that!!) – so I gave them our 3 Fastpasses – because we had Dream Fastpasses, baby!! (… and it felt good to spread some Pixie Dust …) They seemed to be a little bemused by my “gift” – so I hoped they put the FPs to good use …

We then hung out some more by the fountains … with Danielle playing with some other kids and doing her best to get wet (short of wading right in …) …

We then put our DFPs (yea- baby!!) to use at “Honey, I Shrunk the Audience” and walked in just before the show started. Not that we really needed to use them … but it was just soooo cool to use them …

And since we now had DFPs (have I mentioned that??) – we realized that our touring plan for that evening was now out the window … which also meant that we would have to change our touring plan when we returned to Epcot for a second visit in a few days … But that didn’t matter, because we had Dream Fastpasses (yea, baby!!) [BTW – I don’t even like those movies …]

After HISTA it was off to the World Showcase and Canada …

EpcotCanada.jpg

The film had just started, so Danielle worked on her Kidcot mask – which had a nice holiday motif to it – and then we strolled around Canada a bit until eventually making our way back to the theatre. Since there were no seats, I had to hold Danielle for the show – which wasn’t all that easy as she was constantly squirming around to see all 360-degrees of the movie!! And thus my back – and my right shoulder, too – took a bit of a beating …

She’s really into movies, and I think she enjoyed seeing “Canada” … although she didn’t get all of Martin Short’s jokes.

After the film it was off to see our first “Holiday Storyteller” …

But as we were walking that way, our path crossed with a gentlemen with a grey beard, wire-rimmed glasses, red-checkered flannel shirt, suspendered jeans … a bit of a pot belly … and a red cap on his head … and Danielle stopped dead in her tracks.

“Daddy – is that?” she asked.

“Could be” I replied. “You never know … and we are in Disney World”

The man gave her a smile and a knowing wink, and we went our separate ways … but we would encounter him again … soon …

We got a good spot to see the Canada storyteller – there weren’t that many people around … and accompanied by the jingling of bells, we heard a voice exclaim “Why – good morning, brother!!” … and the “storyteller” started having a very funny and impromptu conversation with our Santa-look alike (if that’s what he was …) from a few minutes earlier … and you could just see the thoughts swirling in Danielle’s brain.

The “Holiday Storytellers” are very entertaining, a lot of fun – and even educational!!

And for the first time in her young life, instead of having no desire whatsoever to meet “Santa”, Danielle actually approached and talked with Noel (i.e. “Santa”?) in Canada – I’m not sure she really believed this was Santa Claus, but she wasn’t about to take any chances … (and I’ll call that Magical Moment #13 …!!)

EpcotCanadaSanta.jpg

At this point, it was time to head back into Future World and lunch at The Coral Reef (another first for us …) … so we hadn’t gotten as nearly as far as I had hoped into visiting the WS …

We started towards the front door of the Living Seas Pavilion – but came up short when Danielle stopped to play a “Clean the Beach” game at a Kidcot station … where we also discovered that the entrance to The Coral Reef is around the back of the pavilion …

We had a short wait, and were then led to a booth in just about the very center of the room, and facing the aquarium – a pretty good location. Not as good as being down in the very front – but we had no trouble seeing the entire aquarium wall. Vicki and I liked the ambience and feel of the room, and the service was excellent. I had the tilapia salad, Vicki the Mahi mahi, and Danielle the pizza – and we all enjoyed our lunch fare and the views of the aquarium … (We’ll be back to the Coral Reef, but maybe not on our next trip …)

EpcotCoralReef.jpg

After lunch we walked through the long – and empty queue – and rode the “Living Seas with Nemo”. I can’t imagine waiting when the line for that attraction snakes out of the building!! This turned out to be another of Danielle’s favorites – but unfortunately, we never got around to doing it again.

Then it was off to “Turtle Talk with Crush”, where after about a 10 minute wait, Danielle enthusiastically joined the other kids on the floor in front. This was in marked contrast to her attitude in May 2007 – where she wanted absolutely nothing to do with Crush!!

Crush did his introductory banter thing – and then asked for questions from the audience – and a bunch of kids (including Danielle) – raised their arms. Crush responded:

“The little girl in front with the pink shell – What’s your name?”

“Danielle” our DD responded (yep – we had the makings of Magical Moment #14 here!!).

“What’s your question?” the cool turtle dude asked.

And after a short moment – Danielle shrugged and said “I don’t know …”

Which seemed to catch Crush off guard – but he quickly recovered with “Well – I don’t know either, little dude!!” … which got some laughs (but – alas – no Magical Moment #14 …) :rotfl2:

After talking with the turtle, it was time for our afternoon break … On the way out, we checked the “Living Seas with Nemo” – but there was now a fairly long line, so we passed it by …

We were walking to the bus stop when we saw the AKL bus pull away … but we only had a 5 minute wait for the next one, and about 10 minutes later we were back home at the AKL …

We decided to explore a bit more, and Danielle had a second wind once she saw the playground …

IMG_7313.jpg

… while Vicki and I took turns checking out the flamingos and Uzima Savannah from the adjacent overlook …

AKLFlamingos.jpg

After a rest in our room, and another 10 minute bus ride, we arrived back at Epcot on schedule around 6:00 pm … And the first thing we did was put that Photopass card to use (check out those Dream Fastpasses!! I didn’t see anyone else with them the whole day …):

image099.jpg

It was then off to put those DFPs to use at Soarin’ … and then into the World Showcase to find some dinner …

Danielle is a fairly pick eater – so we stopped at the Refreshment Port for some chicken nuggets – but the CS meal there consists of about 10 nuggets, a large fry, a VERY large drink, and a dessert!! Since we were planning on heading over to Morocco to grab something for Vicki and myself – I decided to spread some Pixie dust and asked the two boys behind me what kind of dessert they wanted – and after their father said it was OK - they had big smiles on their faces when the CM passed a BIG McFlurry to me – which I promptly handed off to them …

Obviously, Danielle wasn’t going to eat all those nuggets – and she only wanted a few fries – and her little tummy wasn’t going to hold about a half gallon of Hi-C Orange drink – so Vicki and I had to help her – which of course killed our appetite … Thus, there would be no dinner at the Tangerienne Café for us … (on the bright side, we did “save” 2 CS Credits for use later in the week …)

We walked to the United Kingdom as we ate, in search of “Father Christmas” … who had some interesting tales to tell … and even managed – with the help of his mistletoe staff – to get Vicki and I into his show …

http://s542.photobucket.com/albums/gg424/joelpwdw/?action=view&current=UK_father_xmas.flv

And Danielle – with Christmas fast approaching – took advantage off yet another opportunity to let Santa know what was on her mind …

EpcotUKSanta.jpg

At this point, the Christmas Tree and lighted archway at the International Gateway beckoned –

EpcotatNight.jpg

And with our DFPs hanging prominently around our necks – we tossed our touring plan and headed back into Future World – in the general direction of Test Track and Mission:Space.

Our first stop was the International Gateway – which is simply a wonder of sight and sound. We put the Photopass card (and our cameras) to good use – although the pictures and video certainly do not do justice to this Epcot holiday marvel:

EpcotIntGateway.jpg

image103.jpg

http://s542.photobucket.com/albums/gg424/joelpwdw/?action=view&current=MVI_7323.flv

http://s542.photobucket.com/albums/gg424/joelpwdw/?action=view&current=MVI_7325.flv

We could have just found a nearby seat and watched the lights and listened to Christmas music – but we had DFPs that demanded to be used … so it was off to Test Track!!

As we approached the TT pavilion, it was obvious from the sights and sounds (screams!!) that this was going to be one cool ride – even more so at night – and I was psyched!! So we put our DFPs to use and got into line … When – after about two minutes – an announcement was made that “Due to technical difficulties …”

So we turned around and exited … bummer …

… and headed over to Mission:Space.

Danielle was too small for this ride – so Vicki headed in – her DFP leading the way. I grabbed a “rider switch-off” voucher (basically a FP) – and then took Danielle through the gift shop into the Space Base area … where she worked off the chicken nuggets in a very cool playground.

Mission:Space was almost empty – the poor CMs tried in vain to get players for the Space Race game – but the few people who came off the ride weren’t interested. After about 15 minutes, Vicki arrived at the Space Base and it was my turn for Mission: Space … Green version … (yea – I wimped out …) I walked into the building by myself – there was no line whatsoever – and joined a family and their kids for my first trip to Mars …

What did I think of Mission:Space?

It was OK (certainly no Soarin’!!) – maybe the Orange version is better since you have more sensory “inputs” … But, overall, I found the Green version to be nothing special …

It was about 8:30 by the time we walked out of Mission:Space, and this area of Epcot was like a ghost town – it was quiet – and really weird!! There were – like – no people around except us … everyone was getting their spots for Illuminations …

So we headed back through the International Gateway (taking a few more Photopass pictures) …

image115.jpg

image125.jpg

image146.jpg

… and found a decent viewing spot by Norway. I was starting to get hungry and went into the Kringla Bakeri and Café … emerging with a chocolate covered sweet pretzel … It was now about 9:25, very dark – and the only way I spotted Vicki and Danielle was because of the flashing Minnie heart ears on Danielle’s head that we had bought for her earlier that evening …

… and Danielle was sitting in her stroller, sound asleep … And she would stay that way all through Illuminations (which is amazing – some of those fireworks are LOUD!!!) … and all the way out of the park (including some short, and non-productive, shopping breaks – at this point, Vicki’s sore feet had kicked in… )… and all the way back to AKL …

We plopped Danielle into her bed (have you noticed? – we’re at Day 3 here, and Danielle has yet to wear any pajamas …!) and I dragged my tired butt over to The Mara for some nice cold lemonade … and butter – which I used on the delicious bread we had saved from our lunch at The Coral Reef …

And thus ended Day 3 of our WDW adventure …

Next up: Day 4 – Dec 9 - “Mickey’s Very Merry – and Crowded!! – Christmas Party”

And away we go ... !!

Day 4 – Dec 9: Part I – Hangin’ at the AKL​

We actually slept in this morning!! A first (I’m pretty sure) for us at WDW … Why? – because we were going to have a busy and late night – starting with dinner at 1900 Park Fare, followed by Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party – and ending at some point on December 10 … [Plus – it’s always a good idea to plan some “vacation” R-and-R time when at WDW to recharge those batteries and rest that aching back …]

Our “plan” for the day originally included the potential option to go shopping at DTD. But once we saw the AKL, its pool, the animals, and all the activities that are available at the resort, Vicki and I quickly tossed all thoughts of DTD … We were going to spend the day taking advantage of all the great “stuff” that the AKL offers … Plus, this was predicted to be the warmest/nicest day of the week – sunny and 80 degrees – which meant: pool time!!

After a leisurely breakfast at The Mara – putting the outside tables to good use:

AKLMaraOutsideTables.jpg

… we took a leisurely stroll around the pool in the direction of the Uzima Savannah overlook, where Danielle would have the opportunity to acquire her first “AKL Activity” bead – learning how flamingos and pelicans eat.

AKLPool.jpg

Nicole(?) and George were great – and the kids were really interested and had a lot of fun (and I learned some stuff, too!). While Danielle and her new friends imitated birds, Vicki and I took turns watching them and checking out the animals on the Uzima Savannah.

AKLActivity.jpg

AKLActivity2.jpg

AKLAnimals3.jpg

AKLAnimals4.jpg

AKLAnimals.jpg

http://s542.photobucket.com/albums/gg424/joelpwdw/?action=view&current=AK_savannah.flv

After that, it was over to the Arusha Rock – where George and Nicole taught the kids a little about radio-tracking animals (in this case, a stuffed Mickey Doll with a transmitter tucked inside …) - another AKL bead activity. We spent about an hour out there, watching the kids “parade” around, checking out the animals (unfortunately, at that time of day there weren’t that many out and about), and just having a gooood time … (BTW – those rocking chairs at the AKL are comfortable …!!)

AKLActivity3.jpg

AKLActivity4.jpg

AKLAnimals5.jpg

AKLAnimals6.jpg

Danielle was itching to use the pool – while I wanted to explore a bit more and rest before lunch – so Vicki and the DD hit the water while I roamed about the AKL …

About 1:00 I went to the pool – and literally drug the two of them out of the water (after letting Danielle taking a few more trips down the slide and promising her I would take her swimming the next morning – a promise I would somewhat regret to keep, as you will see …)

It was now Vicki’s turn to rest – so Danielle and I hit The Mara for lunch (mac ‘n’ cheese for the DD [what else!?!] and the African stew for me – tasty and a bit spicy …)

I drug Danielle away from the TV in The Mara to do another AKL activity – medallion rubbing in the AKL lobby. I didn’t know what this involved – but there are some 2-foot diameter medallions on the AKL lobby floor … and the kids (and adults!!) are given sheets of paper and crayons … They put the paper on parts of the medallions and rub the crayons over them, creating a “negative” picture of the medallion on their papers … pretty cool …

Danielle and I were the only participants – it would have more fun with a few more kids. But there is definitely some skill and artistic ability needed to create a nice rubbing … as you probably can’t tell by the rubbing the CM made for Danielle … (which also makes for a nice souvenir of the AKL …)

AK_rubbing_lr.jpg

After that – at about 3:00 – it was off to the pool area again for some kid’s activities – a not-so-easy bean bag toss. While I was watching Danielle do her best, a woman joined us, looked at me and said “Are you joelp?” … it was a fellow DISer who had been reading my pre-trip report. BKMETV!! She is from Ontario – just up the road a bit from a research station where I had spent a summer during my college years over 20 years ago. It was very cool meeting another DISer, and we chatted for a bit while her DS and my DD tried – and tried – and tried (and failed …) to get a bean bag into one of the target holes …

It was then time to get ready for dinner at 1900 Park Fare …

Hey Joel:

I have to say when I first saw you it kinda threw me...I knew that I knew you, but for the life for me couldn't figure out why...it was seeing Danielle that finally made it click.

It was great meeting you...love all the photos of AKL...didn't realize how many activities we missed out on while we were there. We transferred to Poly half way through our trip, and although it was convenient for MK, it was actually a disappointment after AKL. Really loved our time there.

Great seeing you, too!!

We loved AKL!! The only problem is now my DW doesn't want to stay anywhere else!!

So I told her I'll see what I can do if we manage to get back down there this fall - :rolleyes1

But with all the stuff you can do at the resort (and the cost ...) it's probably not worth it if we're only going for 4-5 days and spending most of the time in the parks ...

As I was saying:
It was then time to get ready for dinner at 1900 Park Fare …

Day 4 – Dec 9: Part II – “Does She Know How to do Housework?”

While we were getting dressed, I showed Danielle the MVMCP tickets – and because the kid’s ticket wasn’t Tinker Bell (it was Mickey Mouse) – she went into major cranky mode (aaaargghhh!!) :headache:

[In hindsight, I just should have said the Tinker Bell ticket was hers – it didn’t really matter …]

Thus, our evening – after a great day – was getting off to a rough start …

So we headed to the bus stop, and waited for an MK bus … and waited … and waited … :confused3 and decided, after about 20 minutes, that if we were ever going to make our ADR at the Grand Floridian, we would have to take a bus to Epcot and jump on the monorail … so that’s what we did …

Needless to say, I wasn’t in a particularly good mood at this point – with a cranky DD and a “cranky” AKL to MK bus system to deal with … but I did actually enjoy the trip from Epcot to the TTC on the monorail - I’d never done it before …
:upsidedow

And then we arrived at the Grand Floridian – which is simply beautiful!!

GrandFloridianXmasTree.jpg

After getting our bearings, taking in some of the sights in the lobby, and shooting some photos – I hustled the DW and DD over to the restaurant – we were already late for our ADR …

But much to my relief, there was no problem – and we were lead into the restaurant … and then through the main seating area to a side room with about ten tables … :confused:

Which was somewhat disconcerting, because I wanted to be where the “action” was! But as I was to find out – and you will see – this was actually a pretty good location!!

Danielle had caught a glimpse of Lady Tremaine and her daughters – and putting my thinking cap to good use, I told my DD that if she didn’t shake herself out of cranky mode and start enjoying all the wonders around her, we may just leave her with Lady Tremaine – because she and her girls were looking for someone to replace Cinderella!!

Which – of course – worked beautifully … and you could just see the wheels turn in Danielle’s mind … :confused:

We had time for dinner before the Characters started to arrive – and we all enjoyed the selections and quality of the food at 1900 Park Fare. And our waiter was excellent, a lot of fun, and gave us a bunch of tips on what to do, see, etc. Danielle ate – while keeping her eye out for the approach of Cinderella’s step-mother and step-sisters …

First to arrive was Prince Charming (Danielle’s first ever meeting with a Prince!!):

1900ParkFairePrinceCharming.jpg

As you can probably tell from Danielle's expression, she didn't really know how to deal with this guy!! After all - he hardly says a word in the movie!! :rotfl:

Then – she appeared!! The stern, domineering, legendary stepmother of Cinderella – Lady Tremaine!!! Danielle sat very quietly and timidly in her seat, while Vicki explained how she had not been our usual sweet, little girl. Lady Tremaine listened attentively, and in response asked:

“Does she know how to do housework?”

Danielle responded “Nooooo!” :laughing:

“Lucky you”, Cinderella’s stepmother said.

1900ParkFaireLadyTremaine.jpg

So – although Danielle had managed to avoid being carried off by Lady Tremaine, she was still worried about her two daughters – Anastasia and Druzilla!!

Next up was Anastasia – who was a “hoot” – and who Danielle said was “nice” and “liked me!”…

1900ParkFaireAnastasia.jpg

Anastasia and Druzilla were busy mingling with their guests, but in the small confines of the room we were in, they couldn’t help but bump into each other, which led to … well, just click on the link and you’ll see!!

http://s542.photobucket.com/albums/gg424/joelpwdw/?action=view&current=MVI_7381.flv

After Anastasia - like a veritable breath of fresh air - came the wonderful, delightful, and ever-lovable Cinderella:

1900ParkFaireCinderella.jpg

Followed last (and least ... :lmao: ) by Druzilla – who loved the fact that Danielle had a green marker ready to use for her to sign the DD’s autograph book. “I love the color green!” Druzilla exclaimed.

1900ParkFaireDruzilla.jpg

Danielle was still a little worried – but she came to the conclusion that Lady Tremaine and her daughters were not ALL that bad – and she even came to like Anastasia …

We finished a very nice and fun dinner at 1900 Park Fare – and then toured the GF lobby a bit. First up was the magnificent gingerbread house!!

GrandFloridianGingerHouseSign.jpg

GrandFloridianGingerHouse.jpg

… and of course, Danielle had to go potty … And that was probably the most luxurious potty my little DD has ever put to good use!! Vicki had to literally drag her out of there!!

As we headed out of the GF lobby to catch the monorail to the MVMCP, a jazz band was playing Christmas tunes on the mezzanine …

GrandFloridianBand.jpg

And after a stroll through some of the shops, we were to catch the monorail to the evening’s big festivities!!

:santa: :dance3: :cheer2:

Great update! :goodvibes Your DD with the Prince is a great picture! We where there that night too. Our ADR's where at 4:40pm and we where in the main dining room. My niece loved the Step-sisters and even danced with Druzilla. We even joked to my nephew(13) that Anastasia was his new girlfriend! Can't wait to read about your experience at MVMCP.....Yes, we where there that night too!:)

Great update! :goodvibes Your DD with the Prince is a great picture! We where there that night too. Our ADR's where at 4:40pm and we where in the main dining room. My niece loved the Step-sisters and even danced with Druzilla. We even joked to my nephew(13) that Anastasia was his new girlfriend! Can't wait to read about your experience at MVMCP.....Yes, we where there that night too!:)

We had a 4:50 ADR!!

I took some videos of the main dining room ... I may have you on tape!!
:lmao:

Where were you sitting? Anything distinguishing I can look for? :3dglasses

We where sitting in the main walk way at a round table. We where a group of ten (My DF and DM, Me and DH and two DS's, my DB and his DD and DS and my cousin) and my niece was waring a gold tiara they gave her for her birthday. I had on a green Grumpy shirt that says "Bah Humbug" on it. If you where there when Drizella was dancing with a bunch of little girls around her, that was right next to our table. That would be pretty funny if you got us on film!:lmao:

We where sitting in the main walk way at a round table. We where a group of ten (My DF and DM, Me and DH and two DS's, my DB and his DD and DS and my cousin) and my niece was waring a gold tiara they gave her for her birthday. I had on a green Grumpy shirt that says "Bah Humbug" on it. If you where there when Drizella was dancing with a bunch of little girls around her, that was right next to our table. That would be pretty funny if you got us on film!:lmao:

No luck ... I have Drizella dancing with a boy in our room ... and Cinderella dancing with a boy in the main room ... but not Drizella dancing with a bunch of girls in the main room ... :confused3

... and a girl with a gold tiara ... in our room ... :upsidedow

... but no one with a green Grumpy shirt ... :laughing:

... maybe next time ... :rotfl2:

Let's finish Day 4, shall we?

Day 4 – Dec 9: Part III – “Mickey’s Very Merry – and Crowded!! – Christmas Party”

It was now time to head to the MK for our first Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party!! We were all looking forward to this, as we had seen wonderful reports describing this special, magical evening – with snow on Main Street, USA!!

Also, we had a DISMeet scheduled for after the parade at 8:15 at the dance party at Ariel’s Grotto (where Danielle might meet up with Lady Tremaine and her two daughters again!!). So I was looking forward to finally meeting some of the folks I had been “WDW planning” with over the past few months …

The train station was decorated and lit specially for the party – it set the scene perfectly:

MKRRStation.jpg

MKMVMCPEntrance.jpg

And as we walked into the park, Main Street was just incredible!!

image162.jpg

AND CROWDED!!!

This had been my one concern – because I knew the MVCMP had been sold out – despite being a Tuesday night … but I was hoping that “sold out” did not mean “CROWDED!!!!” … (Oh, well …)

I put Danielle on my shoulders, and we waded into the crowd, with my DD trying to catch snowflakes on her tongue and Vicki plowing through with the stroller … and Christmas music playing in the background.

MKMVMCPMainStreet.jpg

And it was obvious that – despite CMs checking for wristbands – many of the MK day visitors were hanging out and waiting for the parade …

Our plan was to catch as many of the special shows, parades, etc. as possible – and fit in rides (and a DISMeet!) where we could … So I had analyzed the show schedule and had a pretty good idea of where we had to be and when we had to get there … but I hadn’t accounted for wall-to-wall people.

So we headed up Main Street towards Cinderella’s Castle, with the goal of finding a good spot for the Christmas show and the parade … which proved to be impossible!! Although the parade was still about an hour away, Main Street and the square were already 6-8 people deep!! We tried going around to the right to get to the front of the crowd by the stage – but that didn’t work. But I sensed an opening on the left side … so we “excuse me”-ed and “fought” our way back and around … and ended up with a good spot right in front of the stage – where it was also amazingly not crowded (because most people were also getting spots for the parade …)

The show was a lot of fun – Danielle particularly liked the dancers who performed to various parts of The Nutcracker …

http://s542.photobucket.com/albums/gg424/joelpwdw/?action=view&current=MVI_7408.flv

MKMVMCPCastleShow.jpg

And Cinderella’s castle was simply amazing! Incredible! Beautiful! Wonderful!! …

MKMVMCPAquaCastle.jpg

Although we had a great spot for the show, we needed to move to a better location for the parade if we were going to see anything (did I mention IT WAS CROWDED?!!?). And Vicki and I agreed we would head into Frontierland and try to grab a spot by the Liberty Tree Tavern (where we had watched the regular parade on Sunday). So we slowly made our way through the barely parting crowd and away from the castle … and eventually did manage to shuffle and nudge our way to the LTT - just in time for the parade …

http://s542.photobucket.com/albums/gg424/joelpwdw/?action=view&current=MVI_7420.flv

I was thoroughly enjoying the parade, video camera going … when about 5 minutes into it I heard those fateful words that would be repeated many times this trip: “Daddy – I gotta go potty!”

Fortunately, there were rest rooms only about 100 feet away … so off we went (so to speak …) [and it was actually kinda nice to get away from the crowds and have some peace and quiet for a few minutes …] … I mean, the MK was REALLY CROWDED!!!

And we managed to make it back in time to see the “Big Guy” (but I missed at least half the parade, including the Toy Soldiers …)

http://s542.photobucket.com/albums/gg424/joelpwdw/?action=view&current=santaclaus.flv

We had about 10 minutes to make it to Ariel’s Grotto for the DISMeet, so we put Danielle into her stroller and joined the masses headed into Liberty Square – and I looked down only to find that our DD was sound asleep!!

And fighting through the crowd – we made it into Fantasyland. Vicki wanted to ride Peter Pan – but there was a 60 minute wait – for the Fastpass Line!! (Did I mention – IT WAS CROWDED!!!) … So we waded towards Ariel’s Grotto – 10 minutes late for the DISMeet (yes – it took us 20 minutes to get from LTT to the grotto!!). [Did I mention?? ….]

The dance party looked to be a lot of fun – but as you can see, Danielle was not up for dancing (although Vicki did a little boppin’ …):

http://s542.photobucket.com/albums/gg424/joelpwdw/?action=view&current=mvmcpdanisleep.flv

We hung out for about 10 minutes – but didn’t see a single other DISer … I assumed they had either arrived on time and left or – more likely – were stuck in THE CROWD and didn’t feel like fighting their way to Fantasyland (as opposed to fighting their way to the next show or ride they wanted to do!!)

It was only about 8:30, but we needed a break from THE CROWD – and there was only a short wait for “It’s a Small World” … So I picked up the sleeping Danielle (sore back and all …) and we went for a relatively peaceful boat ride … with me holding her the whole time (it was a bit tricky getting out of the boat!!)… And – of course – when we went to find our stroller after iasm – it was not where we left it! But we managed to find it after about 5 minutes of hunting and searching … with my sore back managing to hold Danielle the whole time …

It was now time for “Holiday Wishes”, so we headed towards Main Street, with Danielle back in her stroller … and we soon realized there was no way we were going to make it to the front of the castle because of THE CROWD … So we ended up on the walkway off to the left of the castle, with a somewhat tree-blocked and not-so-great view of the fireworks … and the sound wasn’t that great either. Danielle woke up about halfway through the fireworks, so I had to pick her up if she was going to see anything (my back was really enjoying this party!! – not!).

MKMVMCPAquaCastle2.jpg

At this point we had two shows left to see – and since Danielle was now fully awake after her nap (while most other kids we saw were drifting off or out cold), I thought we were in pretty good shape for a couple more hours of partying … So it was off to Tomorrowland and the show at the Galaxy Palace Theatre …

It was around 10:30 – and a strange thing happened when we got into Tomorrowland: THE CROWD had disappeared!! It was amazing!! – and wonderful!! – and quiet – with just the background Christmas music filling the night air …

So taking advantage of this opportunity – Vicki went off to Space Mountain – with only a posted 10 minute wait!! – while Danielle and I took a much more pleasant ride on the TTA.

And as Danielle and I were passing through Space Mountain on the TTA – who do we see but Vicki, getting into her coaster!! (That was cool …)

After another “potty break”, it was off to see the “Mickey’s Twas the Night Before Christmas” at the Galaxy Palace Theatre – where we managed to find a spot in the standing-room only crowd … and where I had to hold Danielle again through the 20-minute show (and my back was just loving the party!!).

Another fun time – especially with the live band - but I could have really used a seat at that point …

It was about 11:30 – so we headed back through Tomorrowland to the castle in an attempt to catch the last show we hadn’t seen – the Christmas edition of Storytime with Belle. But the garden was packed (of course!! – what were we thinking?!?) – so instead we made our way to the front of the castle and caught the last of the castle forecourt shows for a second time.

THE CROWD had thinned out by then, but it was after midnight and we were beat – so after getting a few Photopass pictures taken, we headed down Main Street and into The Emporium – where Danielle spotted a soft/stuffed Rosetta doll that she went crazy over (and we hadn’t seen in any other store) – so of course we had to buy it for her. They also had a very cute Rosetta costume – but at $60, that was just a tad too pricey …

image158.jpg

So we headed to the bus stop with Danielle on cloud nine and hugging her Rosetta doll to death … and then back to our nice and comfy beds at the AKL …

So what did I think of the MCMCP?

First off – I’m glad we did it … but I’m not sure I’d do it again!

Why? – Because of THE CROWD!! Although not entirely unexpected, I had hoped to avoid THE CROWD by going on a Tuesday night … but that didn’t pan out.

For a hard ticket item, I was expecting that there would be fewer guests in the MK than there were – a LOT fewer. It was by far the most crowded time we had ever spent in any of the WDW parks. It was literally a battle to move from one spot to another. And given the show schedule – and the need to get a “seat” at least 20-30 minutes before show time – it is just about impossible to see all the shows, parade, fireworks and do any rides/attractions.

So even though I REALLY want to go back to WDW around Christmastime in a few years – I doubt we would do the MVMCP again … (but who knows …???)

Next up: Day 5 – Dec 10: “Danielle Starts a Pin Trading Passion”

Hey Joel:

Thanks for the pics from MVMCP...we went on the Thursday and kinda missed the parade & stuff.:rotfl:

I know that probably doesn't make sense, but we discovered at the start of the evening what you did when you did space mountain...everyone was on Main Street and the "lands" were empty...our kids walked onto every ride that night including Dumbo, Peter Pan, racetrack. Whenever I mentioned Christmas stuff they blew it off for more rides...so I never really saw any Christmas stuff except the snow on Main Street! We did watch wishes from the Poly beach though so I guess that counts.

Hi Joel!
I followed your link from my TR, you subbed to awhile ago, to see if we crossed paths at all, not yet, but looking forward to hearing the rest! Your DD is absolutely beautiful and looks like she really eats up the magic!!:wizard: Can't wait to hear more!!

Kristen:flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter