Pre-Pay Euro Travel Exhange Cards

Discussion in 'Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board' started by Jonjo, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Jonjo

Jonjo Mouseketeer

I've started to look into taking a Pre-pay Travel Exchange Euro card on our next trip to pay for meals in the parks and take out cash at the ATMs.

Just going a quick search this afteroon I've found so many available. Can anyone recommend a good one?

The best I've found so far is one issued by ICE, the ICE Euro Travellers Cashcard. This one does not appear to have any fees with a good exchange rate at 1.504. Plus it has a 1% cashback scheme as well.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. MickeysFavouriteGirl

MickeysFavouriteGirl DIS Veteran

I've been considering one of these too, I'm just concerned if there was a problem with accessing it whilst abroad.

Sent from my DISBoards app

4. Ware Bears

Ware Bears Mourning the loss of my tags Moderator

I've not used one myself but I know there's been a few threads over on UK Trip Planning if that's any help.

What I have picked up is that if you have anything refunded on the card then it takes an age to come through, probably not until after you're back home - unlikely you will have any refunds on holiday, I know, but thought I'd point it out.

5. ttck4eva

ttck4eva Earning My Ears

I used the post office one when we went dlp in jan. no fees and worked great .

6. Lisa_C

Lisa_C Devoted FIANCÉE to Cap'njack.

I use the post office one - no fees as long as you are using the currency you originally loaded :) I think the refund problem applies to ALL debit cards, the French banking system isn't like ours. Your money sits in limbo for about 10 days before it shows up again. My friend (who luckily has money to throw away) had to get a refund of over 300¬ and rebuy the items again to use the hotel delivery service. Showed up almost two weeks later on a normal debit card! I'd have been stuffed as I only load about 500 max on a prepay!

7. Jonjo

Jonjo Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the replies, I'll look into the one from the Post Office further.
    My major worry is what happens if the company goes bust - have you have lost all your money?

DW wants do what we normaly do and register our debit card at check-in and charge everything to our room bill, and take some Euros for pocket money. That way we will only have one transaction charge from our bank then when we check out.

I'm still as confused as ever. :confused3

8. Jazzy B Bunny

Jazzy B Bunny Mouseketeer

I was looking at this, but have decided to charge everything to our room and take some euros as well. There's too many 'what ifs'

9. Ware Bears

Ware Bears Mourning the loss of my tags Moderator

That would be my concern too. I think for the moment I'll stick with fee free credit cards - the downside to these is that you're taking a gamble on what the exchange rate will be whereas with travel cards you can work the rate to your advantage and load it when it's good.