Pre cruise emails from dcl

I think it's a good policy. How many times really do you and your kids get dressed up for dinner? I look forward to seeing my young men dressed nice for dinner and in their little vests/ties on formal night. In my opinion it's a breath of fresh air. And for those that dont want to dress-up, anyone can afford a cheap pair of khaki's and a polo shirt. Comfortable, casual and not jeans. :thumbsup2

I truly do understand your point and perspective, but this is just one of those issues where people are going to have differences of opinion/preference. When we go on vacation - especially one where we're already spending a lot of money - my whole family wants to be casual and comfortable - and for us, that means NOT dressing up. I also don't want to have to fool with packing any more than absolutely necesssary, and dressing up for dinner involves more clothes, shoes, etc.... for each member of the family. We will NOT be BUMMY in the dining room, but since we are on the more casual Wonder, we won't be dressed up either - for the reasons mentioned above!

Not trying to start a debate... just wanted to put in my two-cents. I hope they DON'T make it a more stringent dress code, especially on the shorter cruises.....

I'm glad Disney is trying to move back toward some level of classiness.

For folks who don't like it, there's always Carnival.

I truly do understand your point and perspective, but this is just one of those issues where people are going to have differences of opinion/preference. When we go on vacation - especially one where we're already spending a lot of money - my whole family wants to be casual and comfortable - and for us, that means NOT dressing up. I also don't want to have to fool with packing any more than absolutely necesssary, and dressing up for dinner involves more clothes, shoes, etc.... for each member of the family. We will NOT be BUMMY in the dining room, but since we are on the more casual Wonder, we won't be dressed up either - for the reasons mentioned above!

Not trying to start a debate... just wanted to put in my two-cents. I hope they DON'T make it a more stringent dress code, especially on the shorter cruises.....
Of course not everyone's going to agree. :love::love:
I have four sons and unless there's a funeral or a wedding we're attending we never get 'dressed up' to go anywhere so for US it will be a nice change.
Like a previous poster mentioned. They're not going to turn anyone away, right? The most important thing of all is to enjoy our cruises! :thumbsup2

Would dressy capris with healed sandals be acceptable if they implement this change? I wore a dress/skirt each night of our cruise last month but thougth I might bring dressy capris for our next cruise. (sure it's over a year away but I like to shop early for sales). I don't intend to wear shorts or jeans to dinner.

IMO capris are a type of pants, not a type of shorts, so I'd say you are all set! I guess I'd consider anything above the knee "shorts" and anything below the knee "pants" (capri, crop, whatever). I wear capris all of the time, and if I'm not wearing a dress in the dining room, you can bet I'm wearing capris! :goodvibes

IMO capris are a type of pants, not a type of shorts, so I'd say you are all set! I guess I'd consider anything above the knee "shorts" and anything below the knee "pants" (capri, crop, whatever). I wear capris all of the time, and if I'm not wearing a dress in the dining room, you can bet I'm wearing capris! :goodvibes

Thank you! I'll be wearing some dresses (especially formal and semi-formal nights) but glad that capris won't be out of of place.

I'm glad Disney is trying to move back toward some level of classiness.

For folks who don't like it, there's always Carnival.

I won't consider myself or others "unclassy" if we aren't dressed in formal gowns and/or tuxedos!

I won't consider myself or others "unclassy" if we aren't dressed in formal gowns and/or tuxedos!

Which leads us to another question. How formal are you willing to go? I was just going to bring a LBD but I've seen pics on here of men with tuxedo's and women in ball gowns! I have a ball gown but have no intention of bringing it. Just curious who's doing what for formal night if anything?

Which leads us to another question. How formal are you willing to go? I was just going to bring a LBD but I've seen pics on here of men with tuxedo's and women in ball gowns! I have a ball gown but have no intention of bringing it. Just curious who's doing what for formal night if anything?

My DH purchased a tuxedo a few years ago, and has only worn it once or twice so we are anxious to get some use out of it. I also got a great deal on one for my son about a year ago (long story). So on our formal night, yes, the guys will be in tuxedos, and the gals will be in long dresses. Fortunately for us, all of these are items that we already own since we go to military balls and the kids have been in weddings recently, so I would understand any family that does not want to make such an investment just for a vacation. :)

I brought a gown last time. While I loved "dressing up" in my gown for formal night (especially since I bought it 5 years ago & only wore it once), I'm going with the LBD this time. More so for packing/airline restrictions than anything else. Saw many women in LBD's & pantsuits. You won't look out of place.

As soon as they get rid of airline baggage fees I'll be happy to dress up for dinner.

I can understand that some people don't want to dress up and thats perfectly fine , but I can't wait to dress up:banana: My DH is a concrete forman so he always looks "bummish" and teen DD's are always in jeans too. So DH will be wearing khakis and nice button up on casual nights and suit for dress up night .DD's and I will be wearing dresses every night:) Of course I CAN wait to wear the heels , I'm 6 1" so I don't wear heels that often. I'll have to practice walking around the house before the cruise:lmao:

Other than in Palo, it has never been a "dress code." It has been "suggested dress" and "requests." The subtle difference tells you that there is no enforcement. Personally, I like a little "dressing for dinner," but realize that others may just find it to be a pain.

Just a quick reminder before this thread turns sour. Everyone is entitled to thier own opinion on this subject. Personal attacks on people because of thier opinions are against posting guidelines and will not be tolerated.

That said.

I think capris are perfect for casual nights on the cruise, even if they return to the original requested attire.

As for formal night, even in the beginning you would see people dressed to the nines in tuxes and gowns and other dressed in thier best "Sunday Dress." Some women would wear really nice pantsuits. It all looked great.

As soon as they get rid of airline baggage fees I'll be happy to dress up for dinner.

GOOD POINT!!!! :thumbsup2

I agree. That being said, if by chance anyone who doesn't feel the need to "dress up" for dinner is ever seated with me or my mom it certainly will not bother us at all. We realize everyone is entitled to make their own choices as to dinner attire and not everyone has the means to invest in formalwear,or other dining room attire, for a cruise which could possibly be the only one they ever take.

Only once have I seen dining room attire that I thought was completely inapproriate - extremely short denim skirt with rips and holes in some not so good places.:scared1:

I have seen people turned away.
They presented their family in beach attire (swim suits) and some of them were barefooted at Lumière's!
On formal night people were in the dining rooms in jeans and shorts.

For those worrying about the kids attire in the dinning room....DCL will never ask you to leave the dining room or bar you from coming in..... and the Wonder has always been more casual than the Magic. Don't stress!!

I have only seen people turned away from Palo based on what they were wearing....never the regular dining rooms.

MJ

My first cruise in 1980 on the Mermoz suits were required for men at regular dinners, and tuxes were required for men for formal nights ( it was a 14 day cruise with 4 formal nights).
My most recent cruise on the Pride of America, anything went in the dining room.
I think Disney may be adjusting their policy a bit, they don't want to be formal, but they probably don't want to be too informal.
Remember, they have a dress code for the parks too, and you can be turned away if you wear something that violates the rules, so a minimal dress code isn't out of line with their corporate policies.
Heck, even Little League baseball has banned jeans and shorts of any kind on coaches when teams play in tournaments, playoffs and the LL World Series.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter