POTS and Disneyland

amazonfamily

Earning My Ears
When I stand still for too long I get dizzy and faint. I used to have to take expensive medications but if I stay in good shape I don't as long as I manage what I'm doing carefully. (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome) I would be visiting with my husband and 2 kids.

If a rollator is allowed I could use that to sit on in line. I wouldn't need it if a line moves continuously. I would feel so silly using a wheelchair and using the ADA entrance for the rides where the queue is not chair friendly. Healthy athletic appearing people popping in and out of a chair looks bad to people who don't know.

I'm actually considering spending a fortune for a VIP tour but I know I will be standing a lot then too. It's lines that last longer than a half hour or so where I would really need to be able to sit or lean on something.

I want my kids to enjoy parades and shows. I think I will just have to have my husband take the 2 and 7 yo kids to those because standing for hours waiting for them just won't happen for me and I don't want to deny them fun.

What would you do if you were me? I don't mind waiting but fainting in line is embarrassing and will disrupt other people. I'm not rich but I'm willing to pay more to make sure my kids had as much fun as I did as a kid in the Magic Kingdom.

Take the rollator! I have not been to Disneyland, but at WDW, there are not many places to sit down outside of the food courts. My sister has used a rollator at WDW quite successfully.

A rollator is basically treated like a wheelchair. So, if the line is HA accessible, you go through the line. If the line is not HA accessible, then you check with the CM to find out where you need to go.

Thanks I will probably go for that. We are driving so it can just go in the back of the van with the stroller. I had never heard of a rollator until I read some posts here.

I agree! My DD has Ehlers-Danlos and POTS is common with her condition. She uses a shower chair at home (I never knew that for years she would sit in her tub to take a shower once she was old enough - the heat and standing made her dizzy). Last trip to Pop, I called housekeeping and they brought us one! In the future, we will do a roll-in shower with built in seat or ask for one. This upcoming trip, though, is already set so a seat from housekeeping is okay.

I get her a wheelchair for Disney, and honestly is is the best. She can't walk long distances. Her ankles hurt bad (we need to get robotics season over so we can get PT). Her knees also and shoulders, so it works great - she loves it!

If the rollator is enough, bring it! If you feel like you need a wheelchair, though, don't hesitate to get one. It's best to be safe. It may actually be best to just get one from an outside preferred vendor and have it with you. That way, you can always sit and rest and not get dizzy.

I hope you have a great trip! Wish I had gotten my DD a wheelchair a few trips back, but she was just diagnosed a year ago.

you would be surprised how many people you see at disney pushing an empty wheel chair or people getting in and out of it. If a wheel chair is what you need bring it and it dose not matter what you have if it is a mobility device you will use the alternative entrance ( unless it is churches or a cain and you can do stares)
but this way you can see the parade if you have some where to sit

Have fun on your tip

I used to always sit in the tub during my showers too. In my first apartment I took a plastic lawn chair into the tile shower and I wondered why I hadn't gotten a shower seat sooner.

I agree! My DD has Ehlers-Danlos and POTS is common with her condition. She uses a shower chair at home (I never knew that for years she would sit in her tub to take a shower once she was old enough - the heat and standing made her dizzy). Last trip to Pop, I called housekeeping and they brought us one! In the future, we will do a roll-in shower with built in seat or ask for one. This upcoming trip, though, is already set so a seat from housekeeping is okay.

I get her a wheelchair for Disney, and honestly is is the best. She can't walk long distances. Her ankles hurt bad (we need to get robotics season over so we can get PT). Her knees also and shoulders, so it works great - she loves it!

If the rollator is enough, bring it! If you feel like you need a wheelchair, though, don't hesitate to get one. It's best to be safe. It may actually be best to just get one from an outside preferred vendor and have it with you. That way, you can always sit and rest and not get dizzy.

I hope you have a great trip! Wish I had gotten my DD a wheelchair a few trips back, but she was just diagnosed a year ago.

I just asked a question about doing WDW with neurocardiogenic syncope. Im going to follow your thread as well! I hope that you find your trip safe and enjoyable no matter what choice you make!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter