Potential Wonder Dry Dock

steveyjc81

DIS Veteran
Anyone else excited by the potential dry dock of the Wonder in Autumn 2016? Having been on the other 3 ships, I think I would be more inclined to book a DCL cruise on the Panama canal and Alaska with the potential upgrades they would do - akin to the Magic a couple of years ago.

The older and dated ship has alway put me off booking one of these. I wonder what sort of improvements they will make?

Anyone else excited by the potential dry dock of the Wonder in Autumn 2016? Having been on the other 3 ships, I think I would be more inclined to book a DCL cruise on the Panama canal and Alaska with the potential upgrades they would do - akin to the Magic a couple of years ago.

The older and dated ship has alway put me off booking one of these. I wonder what sort of improvements they will make?

She'll get some TLC, but she won't undergo a major re-imagineering like the Magic did until the new locks are open in the Panama Canal. Currently, Wonder is the only DCL ship that fits through the Canal. Magic's new ducktail makes her too long. Until then, expect the inside to get a little spruced up (think new soft goods) and the standard seaworthiness checks to maintain her certificate.

I think it'd be fair to expect upgrades on the scale of the Magic's. Maybe some things kept different to maintain separate identities. Each ship has it's own heart, they're individual, special for their own reasons. The Wonder as she sails today is just as magical to me as the other 3 ships in the fleet. I've been on all of them. She may not have the tech advances or the other shiny new things but she's still a beautiful, elegant lady filled with all the classic Disney soul that Disney fans know & love. If I were you I'd be anxious to experience her before and after the drydock so you get the benefit of both experiences if possible. I haven't been on the Magic since her big overhaul but my heart is happy having loved her before. ;)

She'll get some TLC, but she won't undergo a major re-imagineering like the Magic did until the new locks are open in the Panama Canal. Currently, Wonder is the only DCL ship that fits through the Canal. Magic's new ducktail makes her too long. Until then, expect the inside to get a little spruced up (think new soft goods) and the standard seaworthiness checks to maintain her certificate.

Yep. Just saw the expansion of the canal with my own eyeballs. Hubby & FiL both work with large industrial construction projects. They're both a bit questioning if we'll see the full overhaul as early as fall of next year due to the current construction status. It's not impossible. With a fall 2016 overhaul the Wonder wouldn't have to worry with traversing the canal again until late spring 2017. That's 2 years from now. It could happen. Perhaps these schedules are something they still have some flexibility with that they can push off the drydock if it gets closer to time. I'll tell you one thing: they better hurry up with the canal expansion. Not just for the ever-swelling of ship sizes. The current locks' walls are concrete that was poured over 100 years ago. The concrete is crumbling. The old locks need to be overhauled desperately!

I've sailed on the Magic since it was re-imagined, and all that sticks in my head is Cove Cafe and Promenade Lounge. I would struggle to pay DCL prices with a ship that was completely like that, when there are cheaper, fancier alternatives available.

I'm so excited to sail on the Wonder this September (and hopefully Alaska in 2016) before she is reimagined (or even touched up). I want to see what a 'classic' ship looks like :)

Yep. Just saw the expansion of the canal with my own eyeballs. Hubby & FiL both work with large industrial construction projects. They're both a bit questioning if we'll see the full overhaul as early as fall of next year due to the current construction status. It's not impossible. With a fall 2016 overhaul the Wonder wouldn't have to worry with traversing the canal again until late spring 2017. That's 2 years from now. It could happen. Perhaps these schedules are something they still have some flexibility with that they can push off the drydock if it gets closer to time. I'll tell you one thing: they better hurry up with the canal expansion. Not just for the ever-swelling of ship sizes. The current locks' walls are concrete that was poured over 100 years ago. The concrete is crumbling. The old locks need to be overhauled desperately!

The current schedule calls for the new locks to be completed in "early 2016". The project was supposed to be finished in August 2014 and has been pushed back 3 times already. Maybe they will make this deadline, but DCL won't do any major structural work on the Wonder until the new canal locks are ready. I doubt DCL would risk a Magic-like overhaul on the Wonder based upon a previously delayed construction schedule and potentially cut themselves off from the Alaska market.

I love the Route 66 theme of the adult district and would hate for it to go away for the generic looking After Hours district (at least that is my impression from pictures, I have never been on the Magic). It can definitely use some upgrading and redesign, but the carpet in itself really is a work of art!

The Wonder already has quite a few of the smaller upgrades that the Magic got (new furniture in rooms, new Shutters). From what I have seen in pictures of the old Magic, I think the Wonder already was a bit more modern looking from the start. Beach Blanket Buffet looks fresher to me than the pictures I have seen of Topsiders for example.

The Wonder also has the wonderful Outlook Cafe.

Hard to believe they couldn't just do all of the major interior and pool deck enhancements and just leave the duck tail off ? The reason for the improvements have to be to generate new interest in the ship, and I doubt that ducktail will sell even a single extra cabin

I for one aren't crazy about many of the new magic enhancements , but don't think that is gonna stop Disney from gutting the ship to generate interest

I just watched the reimagining the magic special. The Ducktail is not decorative. It was added as a counterbalance for the added weight of the upgrades.

This was posted yesterday on Scott's blog.

This brings some focus, albeit still speculative, on the whereabouts of the Disney Wonder following her 2016 EBPC that ends in Port Canaveral. It is hard to lock down the exact dates, but the Disney Wonder could turn right around on a Eastbound Transatlantic crossing in September. This would give crew and contractors a little over a week to prepare the ship for the big work in Cadiz. Then, return to Port Canaveral for a maybe preview sailing followed by reposition cruise to Galveston for her first sailing on November 10th.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/201...aded-to-dry-dock-in-cadiz-spain-in-2015-2016/

The current schedule calls for the new locks to be completed in "early 2016". The project was supposed to be finished in August 2014 and has been pushed back 3 times already. Maybe they will make this deadline, but DCL won't do any major structural work on the Wonder until the new canal locks are ready. I doubt DCL would risk a Magic-like overhaul on the Wonder based upon a previously delayed construction schedule and potentially cut themselves off from the Alaska market.

Once the new Canal locks are finished, it will be interesting to see if they even work. Supposedly they're going to use tug boats instead of small locomotives to pull the ships through. Some engineers are skeptical.

Any reason why the Wonder just did not go around South America or perhaps Africa to get between the two coasts. Lots of port opportunities during a reposition.

This just confirms for me that we need to hold on to our Wonder cruise in March. I want to do a classic before it's not as classic.

Once the new Canal locks are finished, it will be interesting to see if they even work. Supposedly they're going to use tug boats instead of small locomotives to pull the ships through. Some engineers are skeptical.
The locomotives do not pull the ships through the locks. Their job is to keep the ship centered in the locks.

Any reason why the Wonder just did not go around South America or perhaps Africa to get between the two coasts. Lots of port opportunities during a reposition.
It would take nearly a month to traverse. Also, the seas down around the horn are notoriously big. Cruise passengers don't typically like that. Hubby & I have looked at cruises down around the horn because we want that experience. :)

It would take nearly a month to traverse. Also, the seas down around the horn are notoriously big. Cruise passengers don't typically like that. Hubby & I have looked at cruises down around the horn because we want that experience. :)

You are crazy!!! :faint: :goodvibes

If you take a cruise like that and write a trip report about it, please make sure to send me a link though!!:thumbsup2

The length time around the Cape of Good Hope and Cape Horn would be very lengthy, like 30 days to 2 months. The weather and seas would not make for a comfortable trip.

AKK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter