Potential change in Fantasy Itinerary 8/29 sailing

OKW Lover

Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle.
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
With a potential hurricane threat from Erika I'm guessing that the Fantasy will have to switch its scheduled Eastern Caribbean sailing on 8/29 to Western.

If the National Hurricane Center projection is correct (and we know its not) there may be time for the Fantasy to depart Port Canaveral on Saturday and make it around the tip of Florida to the Western Caribbean. I'll bet it will be a bumpy ride though.

Last edited:
This happened to me in the past when we arrived at port Canaveral our Eastern was switched to a western to out run the storm.

Unless that storm dissipates soon I would say its almost certain that will occur.

I suppose the other alternative is to sail due east to about Long. 65W before turning south to come in behind the storm. Perhaps @Tonka's Skipper will have some insight.

I suppose the other alternative is to sail due east to about Long. 65W before turning south to come in behind the storm. Perhaps @Tonka's Skipper will have some insight.
I think the Western is very likely unless that storm moves. Due East, then it could like many storms turn up and your still in its track.

Western looks safe at this time. Plus easy for the ship to swap over. Port adventurers etc

I'm also curious about the next two Dream sailings, one of which would theoretically be departing PC on the day Erika could potentially be a serious threat to Florida (Aug 31). I checked the roll call pages for both those sailings to see if people are speculating/making alt plans, but they are both kind of dead so I assume the roll calls are taking place elsewhere/site that may not be named.

Disclaimer: I am not on an affected sailing. I am not an alarmist (I grew up in FL and lived in Orlando during the 2004 hurricane season). I'm just interested in extreme weather, and this is my first hurricane season being interested in cruises too, so I'm curious about how they adapt during storms. I'm wondering where the Dream can go if both PC and the Bahamas are potentially compromised.

I'm also curious about the next two Dream sailings, one of which would theoretically be departing PC on the day Erika could potentially be a serious threat to Florida (Aug 31). I checked the roll call pages for both those sailings to see if people are speculating/making alt plans, but they are both kind of dead so I assume the roll calls are taking place elsewhere/site that may not be named.

Disclaimer: I am not on an affected sailing. I am not an alarmist (I grew up in FL and lived in Orlando during the 2004 hurricane season). I'm just interested in extreme weather, and this is my first hurricane season being interested in cruises too, so I'm curious about how they adapt during storms. I'm wondering where the Dream can go if both PC and the Bahamas are potentially compromised.
At worst they'll sail out and just go in circles. That used to not be an issue but with the new regulations nixing cruises to nowhere I'm not sure if they can still use this as an option. In 2011 I remember CC took a hit and no sailings docked there for like a month or less. One, I think, went to Nassau twice.

i believe the enforcement of cruise no nowhere doesn't start until 2016, so that may be an option?
Also i would think than under exceptional circumstances beyond the cruise lines control such as all ports being shut down, they would be allowed back to US port without having made a stop in a foreign port?

i believe the enforcement of cruise no nowhere doesn't start until 2016, so that may be an option?
Also i would think than under exceptional circumstances beyond the cruise lines control such as all ports being shut down, they would be allowed back to US port without having made a stop in a foreign port?
I think bad weather is an exception, safety comes first.

Well, I guess the speculation is moot now that Erika is no more. Looks like the Fantasy's path to the Eastern Caribbean today is clear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter