Potential buyer with questions, specifically about Poly

mommytoliandlu

Mouseketeer
We have been to Disney in 2013 and again in 2015. We being my mother, myself, my husband, and our 2 kids. My mother is very interested in buying into DVC, since it seems like we plan to go at least every 2 years. I've done a bunch of research, but still really feel like I don't totally understand the process, so I have a few questions.

On a FB page, I saw a LOT of recomendations to buy into DVC through a resale company as opposed to directly through Disney - would you recommend this as well?

Since we usually travel together, we need somewhere that can fit all 5 of us, so that means several of the DVC resorts that have studios that can only fit 4 are out.

If we would really like to be able to stay at Poly, is it really important to have that be our home resort? I understand that you can stay at other resorts besides your home resort, but that it isn't always possible depending on availability. My husband is a teacher (who also teaches in the summer), so we pretty much always have to travel when its busy - late June/early July, mid-late August, and April vacation (we are from New England so our April vaca is late April). So my concern is that since we would usually have to visit Disney World during busier times, it might be harder to book at the Poly if it isn't our home resort. Is this a valid concern or does it not really matter?

I don't see any Poly listings on the resale sites - could you tell me why? Is this a time when one must buy directly from Disney for this resort?

Is it better to just buy resale for a resort other than Poly to save money, and then hope we can stay at Poly?

Thanks in advance very much!!

DVC Poly is brand new and it will be awhile before resales hit the market and when they do, they are no bargain.

5 people in a studio may be fin for a year or so with little kids, but will not be fun when the kid get older. You really need a 1 or 2 bedroom and those are not options at the poly (except $2,000 per night bungalows)

I suggest wither NOT buying Poly, or just renting points from a member or broker or consider buying SSR for half the Poly rates. But the old saying is buy where you want to stay and there are lots of other options than Poly.

You shoudl visit Disney, tour all the resorts, and take an official DVC tour before buying. It is better to wait than buy now and have regrets.

Think of buying a DVC interest like buying a house. The new tract of homes are only available from the developer, later someone will sell and the houses will be available through resale. The new developer house has a very high price, the older houses are often available at a discount.

You want to check out the neighborhoods, the houses, the features and options before you buy.

:earsboy: Bill

Poly you'd have to buy direct, $165/point.

My advice: you need at least a one BR for kids and a parent. If you buy the right resale, you can get twice as many points for the same amount of money.

The monorail resorts are newest to DVC, have both high resale value and high number of points per night to rent.

That said, near park resorts are always in demand. My advice is to take a serious look at a 150-200 point BWV contract that can be found for $81-$82 per point resale. BWV have standard rooms that are economical plus the buy in is far more reasonable than the Poly.

I own at Poly. I bought direct of course. There are no resales avail yet. But. I'm taking my MIL with us in Oct, and for that trip, we are staying in a BWV 1br.

You will probably still be able to experience the Poly for the next few years while its selling and there are more rooms than owners. If in 3-5 years it gets difficult to book there, well you will be outgrowing it about that time anyway.

BWV. Double the points you were considering (and double the room size). Half the cost per point to buy. I think this would be a good deal for your situation.

How badly do you want the Poly as a home resort? With a party of 5 with 3 adults a studio is too small, would;t you be better considering resorts with 1 bedrooms.

How about BLT, lower buy in could get yo more points and 1 bedrooms will still be near MK with the Poly only a monorail ride away.

I have family of 5 but with 3 kids still would not want to sleep in a studio. So my suggestion will be other then Poly to have access to 1-2 bedroom. With parent along with kids in tow, 1 bedroom should be the least option to have some privacy during the trip. One Poly resale contract is available at $155/pp but added closing and Mf cost brings this to $160/pp compare to direct at $165/pp. You can buy other resort at resale market for lot less then that.

With parent along with kids in tow, 1 bedroom should be the least option to have some privacy during the trip
Even with a 1 bedroom it could be difficult. For most resorts, a 1 bedroom consists of 1 king bed and 1 queen pull out. AKV-K, OKW and BLT are the only ones that have an additional sleeper chair (twin size ish). Would your kids sleep together or one sleeps with grandma? Would 1 or more be willing to go on an air mattress? Do you want to bring an air mattress with you on vacation?

1 bedrooms are also twice the cost of a studio. You could rent 2 studios, have 2 q beds, 2 q pull outs and possibly 2 murphy beds, and 2 full baths. Poly is currently the only DVC with connecting studios, not guaranteed tho.

FWIW, when grandma comes with us on vacation, we (family of 4) book a 2 bedroom.

Even with a 1 bedroom it could be difficult. For most resorts, a 1 bedroom consists of 1 king bed and 1 queen pull out. AKV-K, OKW and BLT are the only ones that have an additional sleeper chair (twin size ish). Would your kids sleep together or one sleeps with grandma? Would 1 or more be willing to go on an air mattress? Do you want to bring an air mattress with you on vacation?

1 bedrooms are also twice the cost of a studio. You could rent 2 studios, have 2 q beds, 2 q pull outs and possibly 2 murphy beds, and 2 full baths. Poly is currently the only DVC with connecting studios, not guaranteed tho.

FWIW, when grandma comes with us on vacation, we (family of 4) book a 2 bedroom.
A 1br at least to give separation between adults, but yes, maybe even a 2br.

A 1br may be twice the points, but you have a kitchen and w/d to go with it. There is also a premium of features.

The problem with booking two poly rooms and connecting them is the point cost. You're looking at over 250 points for a week in two Poly rooms. The OP could rent a 1br anywhere and prob a 2br at BWV or OKW for the same number of points or less.

But this is the chief argument against buying points for a single studio for this family of 5 across 3 generations: there's nowhere to grow and they've already outgrown a studio.

OP said mom was considering buying in. So, mom won't be accompanying family but the other way around. In my case, we are inviting MIL and making arrangements for that specific trip. In the case of the OP, it seems the mom will be a fixture on trips.

I would recommend being prepared to stay in 2BRs at resorts other than PVB or 2 connecting studios at PVB.

When we bought initially, we thought 1BRs would be great when we have family/friends. The very first time, we had a split stay at two resorts both open less than a year. One resort, the sleeper sofa was terrible (furniture less than a year old). The other resort, the sleeper sofa was very comfortable. After that, we vowed never to put an adult on a sleeper sofa. Even resorts with nice sleeper sofas today may get uncomfortable sleeper sofas when they have a rehab.

When playing sports, I traveled in large groups where sleeping on the floor was common. I don't call a sleeper sofa terrible very often. To this day, I'm still embarrassed by the sleeper sofa experience that first stay.

One reason we added on at PVB is because we like the connecting studios option. It allows us to spend double studio points and receive 2 queen beds, 2 queen sleeper sofas, 2 murphy beds, 2 toilets, 2 tubs/showers, 2 standalone showers, 6 sinks, 2 kitchenettes, 2 balconies. If our guests want to close the door for privacy some hours/days, it works better than the 1BR (for us).

We are bringing our niece and her family next year. We will stay in two PVB studios for a few days and then move to another resort (2BR).

Your case may be different. All of us will offer our own opinions based on our own experiences. Only you will know what works best for you and your family.

But this is the chief argument against buying points for a single studio for this family of 5 across 3 generations: there's nowhere to grow and they've already outgrown a studio.
The suggestion of booking 2 studios is an option to grow. If OP really wants Poly, I don't really see the lack of 1b & 2b as a deterrent. The majority of WDW resorts are studios and people do fine.

We put a premium on the w/d and living room, but not everyone does. Our first studio stay was actually this year, in an attempt to save points. Prior to that, we've always booked larger rooms (even before kids).

When they decide that a studio is too small, they can either add more points to book 2 studios at Poly or shorten their trip. Or some combination of both.

The suggestion of booking 2 studios is an option to grow. If OP really wants Poly, I don't really see the lack of 1b & 2b as a deterrent. The majority of WDW resorts are studios and people do fine.

We put a premium on the w/d and living room, but not everyone does. Our first studio stay was actually this year, in an attempt to save points. Prior to that, we've always booked larger rooms (even before kids).

When they decide that a studio is too small, they can either add more points to book 2 studios at Poly or shorten their trip. Or some combination of both.
Well I agree. But. Unless I was just dead set on Poly or stinking rich, connecting studios is a very expensive option for 5 people considering that other, much cheaper options exist.

Both the cost per point and the number of points needed per night are among the highest in the DVC collection.

If I had 7-10 people to accommodate, two Poly rooms would be economical. I just don't see it as economical for 5 considering available alternatives.

Last edited:
I just want to point out that your dates, while "peak" for Disney, are not "peak" for DVC. DVC's busiest week is the first week of December. Late September through early January is busy. But, most people who buy DVC realize they'll be going back constantly, and try to avoid the crowds. Availablility should be above average for you dates.

I get what you are saying but what happens the day you check in at the Poly for your non guaranteed connecting studios and find not only can they not give you connecting they haven't put you in the same long house and you have toddlers and there is no availability to move you...........

Not making connecting a booking category ruled this out as an option for me. I wouldn't be prepared to take the risk better to book a 2 bedroom and know you are together.

I do personally see it as a deterrent but it may not be a deal breaker for some, likely is for others. IMO it's either 2 studios or a 2 BR long term in this situation.

Paying double for the Poly and higher fees would only be worth it if one wants to spend most trips there and can plan 11 months out.

I get what you are saying but what happens the day you check in at the Poly for your non guaranteed connecting studios and find not only can they not give you connecting they haven't put you in the same long house and you have toddlers and there is no availability to move you...........

Not making connecting a booking category ruled this out as an option for me. I wouldn't be prepared to take the risk better to book a 2 bedroom and know you are together.

Never thought of that one, being family of 5 I always like to go for 2 bedroom first as kids are taller and don't get comfortable in sleepers.

I do personally see it as a deterrent but it may not be a deal breaker for some, likely is for others. IMO it's either 2 studios or a 2 BR long term in this situation.

Paying double for the Poly and higher fees would only be worth it if one wants to spend most trips there and can plan 11 months out.

I agree, for me I would spend same (plus more) points to stay 2 bedroom in VGF then 2 studio in Poly.

I agree, for me I would spend same (plus more) points to stay 2 bedroom in VGF then 2 studio in Poly.
In many ways I see those as 2 peas in a pod. Both very expensive and both only reasonable to buy if planning to stay there almost every trip. As I've said before, I think DVC missed the mark with the Poly, the larger rooms gave them so much opportunity to do something better than the standard DVC studio which is lacking as studios go by industry standards anyway.

In many ways I see those as 2 peas in a pod. Both very expensive and both only reasonable to buy if planning to stay there almost every trip. As I've said before, I think DVC missed the mark with the Poly, the larger rooms gave them so much opportunity to do something better than the standard DVC studio which is lacking as studios go by industry standards anyway.

Yeah but what I think is that studios only gives them the opportunity to sell less points to all new Poly owners. My guide stated that a lot of people who bought VGF bought under 100 points. If thats what they need to sell to get $165 a point then limiting it to studios makes sense to them I guess.

For me personally I didn't buy into DVC to stay in a studio. If DVC had only offered studios we would have continued to have rooms at POR.

Yeah but what I think is that studios only gives them the opportunity to sell less points to all new Poly owners. My guide stated that a lot of people who bought VGF bought under 100 points. If thats what they need to sell to get $165 a point then limiting it to studios makes sense to them I guess.

For me personally I didn't buy into DVC to stay in a studio. If DVC had only offered studios we would have continued to have rooms at POR.
If they sold SSR with points higher than OKW I think they can sell the Poly at at comparable level. The truth is they could have upgraded the studio to a King or even a King plus a real murphy bed, a modestly expanded kitchen plus an all in one W/D for what $5K total per unit, $100 a week divided over a full year or $2 per week over the life of the contract. That's not even a point a week total no matter how you look at it. They could have used it as a selling point. I'm sure they had their reasons, maybe trying to be consistent, I just feel they missed in in this area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter