POTC opinions

talie95

Mouseketeer
So, we're heading to DL in Oct. Just wondering what you think of the new POTC. That's always been one of my favorites and my sister said that she's heard mixed reviews about it. What do you think?

I am a hard core traditionalist and POTC is my favorite ride at DLR. I went on the revamped ride about two weeks ago. It actually has been changed a bit more than I was expecting. There was more to the change than just adding Jack Sparrow - sorry - Captain Jack Sparrow.

In any case, the changes did not jump out at me as making the ride much better or much worse. It is different now. Hearing the POTC movie theme song seemed a little odd. I wanted to ride it one more time but we were not able to get back over there.

In general I think updating the ride to reflect the successful movies was a stroke of genius to connect with the younger generation and make the POTC relevant for many more years to come. Bottom line? It was a smart change and I will need to ride it more for it to feel more comfortable.

Hey HydroGuy--you are scaring me a little. Did they entirely get rid of the POTC traditional music?

I think the changes and additions to PotC.. really improved and enhanced the truly classic legendary DL attraction.

It seems just so much more now... it builds up, it flows better, it moves along the story and the new story and includes the legendary PotC and the movie(s) mixed together amazingly well.

I do think the new audio script says the words "Captain Jack Sparrow" in it way too much... but I really like all the other changes.

Yo Ho is still present... with some differences, in some places. ;)

The attractions lighting and sound systems are far better than they have
ever been, the new theming/decor fits in seamlessly, the classic PotC attraction still shines (really shines after the refurb(!)).... and the new FX are cool! pirate:

I loved the changes. The spirit of the original is still there, w/o the politically correct stuff the did ruin the ride with several years ago (to me, getting PC was the worst thing that could be done to POTC). I love the new special effects. I have no issues with Captain Jack being there (other than that last one just doesn't look like Johnny Depp in the slightest).

MOMTOCUTESTDOGEVER said:
Hey HydroGuy--you are scaring me a little. Did they entirely get rid of the POTC traditional music?
No, no, no. The original music is still there. But in the old version you would here the old Yo Ho, Yo Ho song throughout the whole ride. Now you just hear it through most of the ride.

They have the POTC movie theme music in the old Wicked Wench but now Black Pearl scene where the ship is fighting the town. And the previously nameless ship captain there is now an AA figure of Captain Barbossa. It was a little odd, but I was expecting that and am looking forward to adjusting to all of the updates. I have four sons ages 10-15 who love the POTC movies and, like I said, I am sure the changes will make the ride more relevant for them for many years to come. This was definitely the right thing for DL to do.

For everyone's info who might not know, DL (and I guess MK) is planning to take down POTC again next spring - this time for a shorter period - to add in Will Turner and Elizabeth Swan AA figures before the Memorial Day 2007 release of POTC 3: At World's End.

HydroGuy said:
I am a hard core traditionalist and POTC is my favorite ride at DLR. I went on the revamped ride about two weeks ago. It actually has been changed a bit more than I was expecting. There was more to the change than just adding Jack Sparrow - sorry - Captain Jack Sparrow.

In any case, the changes did not jump out at me as making the ride much better or much worse. It is different now. Hearing the POTC movie theme song seemed a little odd. I wanted to ride it one more time but we were not able to get back over there.

In general I think updating the ride to reflect the successful movies was a stroke of genius to connect with the younger generation and make the POTC relevant for many more years to come. Bottom line? It was a smart change and I will need to ride it more for it to feel more comfortable.

I agree. I am here at the park and the only problem with the ride is the bumper boat issue. The new sound is amazing and the cleaning up of characters gives it more crisp look while keeping the orignal tone. Walt would be proud.

Jack pirate:

HydroGuy.....

Thanks for the heads-up on POTC closure next Spring. Has anyone heard any
specific dates for the brief POTC closure in Spring 2007?

Thanks

TeacherDad said:
HydroGuy.....

Thanks for the heads-up on POTC closure next Spring. Has anyone heard any
specific dates for the brief POTC closure in Spring 2007?

Thanks
If it were me, I would definitely not plan for May 2007 until after Memorial Day. After having had POTC down thru all of Spring Break at DL in 2006 (MK re-opened POTC for a few weeks in April) I highly doubt they will do that again. And they will want to time the re-opening for Memorial Day - and this revamp will not take as long because they will be doing much less (the 2006 revamp had the ride down for 3 1/2 months). I think April - especially up until April 20th or so, which is kind of considered the end of Spring Break period, you will be fine. After April 20th up until Memorial Day you will be taking a risk.

Further, this year they had the movie premiere at DL about two weeks before the actual release to theaters and that is when they re-opened the ride at DL (June 24/25). If they do something similar in 2007, and I have read they will, then the movie premiere will be May 15th or so, and they might re-open the ride then. However, they will not be under as much pressure in 2007 to re-open the ride (mid-May is not as busy as late June). So the ride re-opening might slip until Memorial Day weekend when the movie is released.

Bottom line, I think anyone going from April 20 until the week before Memorial Day will be at risk for having the POTC ride closed.

We have been discussing this topic a lot over at TNT, and I think on the whole everyone likes the enhancements, especially the improvement to the sound system and the Davy Jones effect. I have not had time to go over to the MK since it re-opened, but we will be at DL next Thursday................

As far as the ride closing again in the spring, I have heard nothing about it.

doombuggy said:
As far as the ride closing again in the spring, I have heard nothing about it.
See http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al071106b.htm:

While 2,100 an hour is still an impressive number, considering other popular E Tickets like Space Mountain or Soarin' can only reach 1,700 an hour or less, the granddaddy of all ride systems at Pirates of the Caribbean is clearly not living up to its potential. The permanent fix may have to wait until next Spring, when Pirates closes for yet another movie inspired rehab. In an announcement that took lots of people at Imagineering (WDI) and TDA by surprise, Walt Disney Studios Chairman Dick Cook, a former Disneylander who started his career 40 years ago as a conductor on the Disneyland Railroad, proudly mentioned to the TV cameras on the red carpet that next year Pirates will be getting animatronic versions of Keira Knightly and Orlando Bloom to celebrate the third movie.

I hadn't been on it since 84. The addtion of jack sparrow neither improved or distracted for me. However, I didn't feel the music fit anymore, it was forced... Also sometime I think it was when the did the PC fixes they removed the smaller ship and put in the great big one that just doesn't fit IMHO..... All in all the one that I rode in the 70's and 80's was much better to me.

We loved the new POTC!! I thought it was a perfect blend of the old Pirates and the movies we've grown to love! Didn't notice anything odd with the music. Loved seeing Jack and Davey... can't wait to see it with Will & Elizabeth! It was very well done.

We loved it. The changes are subtle. I noticed the smaller things that were added because this is one of my favorite rides. I actually liked the music in the Barbosa scene. It made it seem more "intense." It seemed to fit more. I absolutely loved the Barbosa effect. I don't think they changed the boat in the Barbosa scene. Everything in the treasure room seemed more shiny.

I like the new changes they did to POTC. It was fun to play "where's waldo" when looking for Jack :)

I am pretty much a traditionalist and was a bit worried about the changes to POtC. Generally I thought it was all well done. I was very worried about the musice change but it made the sea battle scene more exciting feeling. For some reason the only scene I didn;t care for was the very last one with Captain Jack. It just felt tacked on and not as well melded into the rest of the ride.

daannzzz said:
For some reason the only scene I didn;t care for was the very last one with Captain Jack. It just felt tacked on and not as well melded into the rest of the ride.
I had the opposite reaction. I really liked the Captain Jack at the end. Funny how we are all so different...

My only issue with the Captain Jack at the end is that, unlike the first two, it didn't look a thing like Johnny Depp. Or it looked like Johnny Depp suffering from a seafood allergy.

I, unfortunately, will probably never get to ride PotC with just the Jack and Barbossa additions. I will most likely see the new version, if I go back. Videos just sre not the same.

I've recently seen a video on the new pirates ride that someone had taped, and I compared it to the old ride before the referbs and WOW! I cant wait to actually get my big behind on that ride!!! pirate: This ride looks so awesome! The new effects such as the Davie Jones!!!!! MINT!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter