Post Pictures of Tent Camping @ FW

We never use A/C in the tents and actually use a heater for night time to knock off the dampness. Last year we left on July 3rd and it wasn't bad at all. You are rarely in the tents except getting ready in the morning or going to bed at night unless you take a pool break or washing day and I enjoy napping in the tent during those times. There is lots of trees for shade and there is usually a nice breeze blowing. Add in the daily afternoon rain to cool things down and it's not bad at all.

Sinclare, am I reading you right, that you have actually used a heater in your tent in July? I like the idea of fighting the humidity, but does it really not raise the temp inside the tent to have a heater running?

First I would like to admit, I mean say, I have NOT tent camped since I was in my teens so I am no expert. When I seen the pics of the tents with A/C units in them I thought how BRILLANT is that!! Then as I read on I realized a lot of people obviously do fly in and plan on tenting and/or have very limited space to bring along an A/C unit. So...here is my contribution to the tent campers...there are frige swaps and Christmas tree swaps on these boards so why not a A/C swap?

These small portable A/C units are very affordable and you all could run the swap the way the Frige people do. I live here in Florida about 2 hours west of WDW and let me tell you the heat can be brutal so if I were to ever tent camp in the summer A/C would be a must. Really you guys could do a combo dorm frige and A/C unit swap so you would also not have to worry about ice melting. You would just need to make sure you included the appropriate electrical cords with your swap itmes.

Hope this helps? If this has already been thought of and/or tried and failed please forgive. I was only thinking of you all!!:)

I work here at Disney and I have two window units that I use (only one at a time though. But I wouldn't mind bringing some one an AC to use. I didn't use it once in a july trip and never again would I camp without it.
The hardest part is setting it up. we prop it up on the tail gate of our truck. Last time we used the table but the legs pushed into the tent a lot.
I don't know how people can do without it. I was miserable the next day.

In reference to being hot in the tents at night. We usually go in June and instead of taking fans, we take Heaters for night. Remember your camping in what is basically reclaimed swamp so the air does get damp at night. The heater helps keep the dampness out of the tent.

Here is our setup that we use: Two 11*17 tents with a canopy tent in the middle. Notice from the second picture (looking out of the tent in the back) that both tents open into the canopy tent. Since both tents have an overhang, it allows you to get out of the tent and into the "living room" without getting wet except in the hardest rain of course.

I have been attemping to copy this setup but I've had no luck finding the canopy sides at my local Walmarts so I experimented with using two 8X10 tarps and it worked. The look is the same I'll let you know if it holds up in the rain if we have any. I really just wanted an area between my tent and my friends tent where our children could stretch out without being a nuisance or bouncing off my tent walls. We leave in 26 days.

AN AC IN A TENT!! That is hysterical!!! I've never thought of it and WOW what a great idea!!!! Of course up here (NH) we don't need them too often but :lmao: I thought you were kidding until I saw the photo!!!!

OH MAN!!!! We need tent heaters at night and honestly I could not go south in the summer months for fear I would wilt!! Hey, what ever it takes! I think it's an excellent idea!

Momoffive did it rain at all while you were using this tent? We are camping in April and I'm afraid we''ll end up soaked. It took two years to convince my husband to try camping and I want him to like it so we can go again.
Keep in mind that April is not the rainy season in Florida. Do keep in mind that it could rain anytime on a camping trip. We've been to FW in April for a week and a half and NO rain. But did have very loud rock music played 'til 3 am at the MK Grad Nites so watch out for that.

We were there last April and it rained 4 of the 6 nights we were there. Luckily though only one of them was an all day/night rain. The rest of the time it would rain for an hour or two and then clear right up. :thumbsup2

AN AC IN A TENT!! That is hysterical!!! I've never thought of it and WOW what a great idea!!!! Of course up here (NH) we don't need them too often but :lmao: I thought you were kidding until I saw the photo!!!!

OH MAN!!!! We need tent heaters at night and honestly I could not go south in the summer months for fear I would wilt!! Hey, what ever it takes! I think it's an excellent idea!

I was used to tent camping in NH(White Mtns) and in Maine where you needed a blanket at night during the summer but after I came to KS and the humidity was oppressive I knew what we were in for going to WDW.

DH has said it's up to me if we ship an a/c this time around so I'm thinking about it.

I work here at Disney and I have two window units that I use (only one at a time though. But I wouldn't mind bringing some one an AC to use. I didn't use it once in a july trip and never again would I camp without it.
The hardest part is setting it up. we prop it up on the tail gate of our truck. Last time we used the table but the legs pushed into the tent a lot.
I don't know how people can do without it. I was miserable the next day.

This would be great!:goodvibes I'll have to let you know what we end up decided on where to camp for the 4th of July. I might have to take you up on this offer.;) Especially after just walking the 2000 & 1500 loops & touring the Meadows area for about an hour, I was starting to get a headache from the heat!!:headache: Then again, didn't have anything to really drink w/ us either. Boy, did the boys love walking the loops! DS 4.5 can't wait to go on Mother's Day w/e. Of course, he doesn't know yet that we extended it by 2 days!!:goodvibes :cool1: :banana: :thumbsup2

Right now we're weighing the costs of renting a van & driving up to NY to camp vs. flying the step-kids down (or if they move here like their mom is hoping & boy would that save abou $800 - $1000 in flight tickets!!) & going to the Fort. Right now leaning towards the Ft. Even if we buy the tickets & then they move b/c we go w/ SW for their flights, we could use the tickets for us later.:thumbsup2

Really beginning to look forward to the summer's campin trip!!:woohoo: :dance3: :woohoo:

DH has said it's up to me if we ship an a/c this time around so I'm thinking about it.
You could always do what me and RvUSA do.....Free Walmart rental plan!!!

Buy one when you get there....use it and return it when your done...may not be the right thing by many paoples standards...but its an extra 96 bucks in your pocket!!!

I needed a small a/c for my garage anyway...I just purchased one a couple of days ago and Im gonna set the tent up tomorrow and jerry rig it into the tent. I'll post pics if it doesnt embarrass me by being to cheap looking!!!

Originally Posted by memorykeeper
Momoffive did it rain at all while you were using this tent? We are camping in April and I'm afraid we''ll end up soaked. It took two years to convince my husband to try camping and I want him to like it so we can go again.

Sorry I missed this earlier. There was one evening while at MK that it rained hard for like 30 mins. We forgot about it by the time we got back to our tent. Nothing wet either. I should mention that we did not seal it either. That is a project this summer though. Because of a miss hap with our pop up on they way down to WDW the camper did NOT make it and after the 2nd night I hade to make a trip to Wallie World to buy another tent. Needed a place to store everything. I can't tell you which tent that is, I was desperate. I would have loved a cabin instead and think that will be the next one we get. This board has been great and has given me so many ideas that I actually can't wait to try them.

BDR, I plan on the same thing with the window air unit. We were at a national park last July on the Outer Banks somewhere and it was 110 no lie:scared: ! I went to Lowes HW and bought a fan, DH laughed at me when I asked him if we could bring the window air unit from the garage. After seeing some of the pictures on here he is fine with the idea, go figure.
momoffive

I wouldnt even CONSIDER CAMPING in FL heat without one...Im 295lbs....aint NOWAY Im gonna spend my vacation sweating like a pig who just heard the farmer loves bacon!!!

DH laughed at me when I asked him if we could bring the window air unit from the garage. After seeing some of the pictures on here he is fine with the idea, go figure.
momoffive

You've got a DH like I do! It's not legitimate until someone ELSE says it is!!!:teacher: :rotfl2: Ya! I figure!

Well we're camping April 14-17. Kari's parents are coming from Georgia in their newly bought RV. And we're gonna pitch our tent next to theirs. Maybe I'll get some pictures this time of it all. I should probably look into a shelter thing, they look pretty cool. But I don't think we're gonna do any extended stays at the fort this year cause we want to go to Disney Land for the first time in May.

Just moving this to the top so I can show my husband the reluctant camper that you can have a good time in a tent. 6 days to go and he has major cold feet. If you have any additional pictures to post i would appreciate it.
Linda

Here are a couple of pictures of my campsite. It has been a couple of years since youngset DS and myself camped at FW. I tried to make it as Disney as possible!:)

tent1.jpg

insideoftentatFW.jpg

TC:cool1:

Look at YOU....what a great little set up. Alarm clock, lamp, nightstand, rug...thats downright inviting!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter