Post injury workouts-Tink is in 18 days....

Discussion in 'Events/Competition' started by IMGONNABE40!, Jan 2, 2013.

1. IMGONNABE40!

IMGONNABE40! <font color=green>Okay, I already am 40, but if I

I got some great advice here after posting about an ankle injury I suffered after adding too much speed, too far in new shoes. I also saw my doctor who didn't suspect any significant damage-just soreness to my tendon. She said I could return to running as soon as my ankle felt well enough. I am so fortunate to have a doctor who is a runner and understands my training schedule! Of course she advised me to call if it didn't get better so she could give a referral to a sports med. doctor.

Anyway, 11 days post injury I felt well enough to do a 5k I had signed up for. About 4 days later I got a pinched nerve that affected me from hip to toe on the left side... The same side as my ankle injury.

That was on December 19th. I rested until yesterday. The pain from the pinched nerve is no longer constant, mostly hurts at night now. So, yesterday I did a some core and quad exercises followed by a 2 mile walk on my treadmill. I feel a bit sore from the core and quad exercises today, as I haven't done them in 6 months or more. But I feel it is important to resume them-I had been doing a 75 minute core/strength routine 2-3 times a week. Today I walked a 5k on the treadmill with a couple running intervals.

My question is this: since I have the Tink half this month and the Princess next month, should I skip the core and quad exercises until after the Princess and just focus on getting to the starting line healthy and strong? Ultimately I know the core and quad work will help prevent injury. But with the muscle soreness today, I am wondering if now is the right time....

Thanks for reading this long post, and any advice. :goodvibes

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Reep

Reep Mouseketeer

Seems like I would stick to the minimum until you know if you are good to go or not. Anything extra is risky. Core work at this time is unlikely to help much. If you decide to do the races, just back way off and take it easy.

4. cewait

cewait DIS Veteran

I am all over a full range of training, but starting up something new while coming into a race injured may be a recipe for disaster.

Think of it this way, you do a tough core workout today and then run in the morning. You are suffering from DOMS as a result of the core workout... you will be running from a compromised position - attempting to guard against upsetting the soreness in the core - this may create compensations in your gait. Since you are most likely compensating from your recent injury, this can be an invitation to further injury.

Just get through Tink.. then pour it on

5. IMGONNABE40!

IMGONNABE40! <font color=green>Okay, I already am 40, but if I

Thanks for the replies. Definately want to avoid DOMS! Had it baaaaad a couple years ago when I started working with a trainer. I took it pretty slow the other day, but probably will cut it out completely until I get back from CA.

Thanks again. :goodvibes

6. Tiger Lily 03

Tiger Lily 03 Moderator W.I.S.H. Moderator

Had to verify DOMS.
    I have had it, never paid attention to the acronym. I have learned something today. May not remember it tomorrow, but today I am enriched!