Possible deal? negotiate a Disney's Magical Express with a taxi.

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by MonkeyBoyThom, Feb 17, 2005.

1. MonkeyBoyThom

MonkeyBoyThom Earning My Ears

OK, I've heard all the bad press about the Mears shuttle service and how this is going to be the official service for Disney's Magical Express, where you ride to and from Disney free.

The taxi companies are well aware of this and here is where you might have something from which to bargain. How much does a taxi cost to deliver two people to Disney? $20 per person, one way? I don't have the latest quote. Obviously these taxis aren't going to drive you there for free, but if you are firm in your horsetrading ways, I bet you will talk them down. You get there quicker and while not free, it will be less than before this new service.

Before this service, all the reputable services agreed on a price structure. That way there is competition and no one is cutthroating the others. Obviously the gypsy cabs will say one thing (unbeliveably cheap) and mean another and those are the dangerous ones to watch out for.

As always, "buyer beware," when thinking a deal is too good to be true.
    pirate:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. safetymom

safetymom Super Moderator

It costs about $50 one way not including tip from MCO to a Disney resort.

There will be new busses and more of them so I doubt the stories of Mears will happen with this new service.

Also the fact that you don't need to handle your luggage at all will be a big selling point for lots of people.

4. macfamily

macfamily Mouseketeer

Um, seeing as how we have transportation to and from Disney via Mears, I'm wondering if anyone can link the bad press that there has been? It's way too late to change at this point, but I'd like to be more informed as to what to expect...

Thanks!

5. Debbie

Debbie <font color=blue><marquee>DIScovering DIS magic</m

I used Mears in January. Since I was flying, by myself, for the 'weekend', financially, it was the only solution. I got my pager at 3:50, and was loaded at 3:55. We wheeled out of there before 4:00, made 2 stops at the airport, and were out by 4:20. I was the last of three stops, and hugged my sisters at WL before 5:00. I don't think that that is all that bad. :)

6. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

Our ride with Mears in '99 wasn't all that bad either. Yes, we were crammed into a van and had to put our bags under our feet. But, we had no wait at the counter when they found that we were going to the same resort as the 5 people waiting in the van. So, it only took us 45 minutes, from baggage claim to POR. But, for trips after that we have used towncars since it is really more cost effective for us with 3 or more traveling. However....Magical Express will suit us just fine. I love not having to worry about my bags. If they get lost, well, they get lost. I don't worry about it. I'll have my meds, bathing suit, passes, money, cameras, and fresh undies in my carry-on!! We'll be ordering our groceries on-line before we go, so don't need a grocery stop.

7. mrp4352

mrp4352 DIS Veteran

My problem with Mears isn't on the front end, it's the back end. I usually non-rev to Orlando, so to get home, I need to be at the airport 90 minutes before the first flight home, usually 6:30 on a Sunday. Mears insists on picking me up between 3:30-4am to guarantee I'll be there by 5. So, I am very hopeful that Magic Express won't require that!!

8. CarolA

CarolA <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.

I just don't really feel like starting my vacation horse trading with a taxi cab! LOL.
    Also, I am not sure about Orlando since I have never taken a cab, but in lots of major cities that is not going to be real feasible. For example, I take a cab in Atlanta a lot. The dispactcher at the airport calls up the next cab and you get in. There is not a method for you to discuss the "pricing" with the cab and "go to the next" one if cab a won't give you the "deal" you want.

By the time you finish the deal making will you really save that much time?

This idea seems like more work that it is worth and besides no matter what the cab will still be more expensive. (They aren't going to take you for free)

9. CheapMom

CheapMom DIS Veteran

I have used Mears 4 times with no problem. What is it that people don't like about it. (I stopped using them because we didn't like the price- but that complaint is soon to be moot)

10. Hippychickali

Hippychickali DIS Veteran

I don't think your "horse trading" will work at all. It's not like these taxis will be hungry for customers. There are plenty of people going to WDW who would be more than happy to pay $50 + to get there quickly and not on a bus.

Ali

11. CheapMom

CheapMom DIS Veteran

Anyone staying offsite will need a taxi (or Mears or rental car...) - so while the demand for taxis will come down some- it isn't like these guys are going to go out of business because of magical express.

12. disneymom3

disneymom3 <font color=green> I think I could adjust!! <br><f

I am thinking that while they might see a slight drop in WDW bound customers, I am pretty sure that people go to Orlando for other things. (gasp!!)

13. Jasminesmommy

Jasminesmommy <font color=red>My dh pops the can for me<br><font

I am a mears hater. Last 2 times I had to wait over half an hour for a bus even though I had a reservation and my Plane was on time. I was at AS so was the last stop. On the way back both times my Bus never came even though I called like I was suppose to. I would rather rent a Town car Like I did last time. I will never use Mears again not even now that its free. To much frustration on my vacation.

Also I heard it wasn't mears though. Its Disney and the same line used to take people to the Cruise. They are hiring people now on Monster.com

14. epcotfan

epcotfan http://youtube.com/wdwchannel1

I really don't see how you can negotiate a price on a metered cab unless you search the airport for someone working privately. I am more than happy to use a cab at MCO for travel to WDW as they are convenient and fast. Well worth the money.

15. Hippychickali

Hippychickali DIS Veteran

I'm pretty sure it's Mears.

Ali

16. skiwee1

skiwee1 DIS Veteran

I agree! There is no way I would use Mears or the free Magical Express. I would rather pay $100 for a towncar which is what I am doing. I am sure there are plenty of folks going to WDW that doesn't want to be trapped on a cattle car and is willing to pay to get to their resort. The cabs will not be hurting.