Portion control at rotation restaraunts

dclgirl

Mouseketeer
I try to watch what I eat, but vacation, especially this cruise, will be hard. If I want to try several appetizers, entrees or desserts, can I have small sample or half portions to try each one instead of three or four full orders? I like being able to try a lot of new things, but don't want to gain 25 pounds on this trip. I actually would like to lose, but I don't think that will happen!:rotfl:

You can always ask. They make up all the dishes at once and the waiters go and grab what they need. So, to make up a special "mini" of anything may not be feasible. You just have to work out those arms and practice the "push away" motion. Two bites---push away; two bites---push away. Or you could share with your family--get all the dishes and rotate them around.

With me, it was never the amount of food at dinner, but the food I snacked on throughout the day. A good thing is to take the stairs instead of the elevator (faster too) and take a couple of laps walking on the track deck. I haven't really gained on the actually cruise, but I do seem to gain a few residual the following week.

DG

I see what you mean about making special mini plates. I think we will probably do as suggested, each order something and pass it around, except for the Lobster if there is any.

I definately plan on only taking the stairs and doing some laps. I would like to also hit the gym and keep up some form of my exercise routine. Can you recommend any good workout classes?

, except for the Lobster if there is any.

If you are on a 7-day cruise they will serve lobster on Thursday, semi-formal night. Unfortunately they don't serve lobster on the 3- and 4-day cruises. Just be aware that the lobster onboard may not be what you are used to. It is the tail only (although theywill bring you more than one if you want) and they are very small. As a New Englander it was not what I am used to. They were tougher than Maine lobsters but the flavor was good.

Also, IMHO, you will find that serving sizes are not the "over the top" mounds provided at many US restaurants. So, getting two appetizers is not the giant experience you might have elsewhere.

Barb

Just be aware that the lobster onboard may not be what you are used to. It is the tail only (although theywill bring you more than one if you want) and they are very small. As a New Englander it was not what I am used to. They were tougher than Maine lobsters but the flavor was good.

The tails are small because I believe they serve warm water lobsters, not Maine lobsters. You're right - not what we're used to here in New England. Now, where did I put that claw cracker.......

Another good way of doing it is to ask for the dish without accompliments such as the potato or vegetables. This way you just get the main thing and its less carbs (mind you sometimes the carb side sounds too nice to refuse).

I like the idea of having different people order different items then sharing.

The sharing thing is a brilliant way as long as you can all decide what to share. On the Eastbound Transatlantic our servers used to bring us out one of every desert and inevitably we would all end up liking the same one and wanting another one of the that one. :lmao:

In Palos since it more "to order" they will make you half orders or smaller plates - there you definetly want to try everything especially at brunch.

There were a few times I asked for just a 'bit' of something, not the whole entree. On some things he could do it but others not. I found it never hurts to ask. Seeing all that food go to waste as we passed Africa just made my heart ache.

If you are on a 7-day cruise they will serve lobster on Thursday, semi-formal night. Unfortunately they don't serve lobster on the 3- and 4-day cruises. Just be aware that the lobster onboard may not be what you are used to. It is the tail only (although theywill bring you more than one if you want) and they are very small. As a New Englander it was not what I am used to. They were tougher than Maine lobsters but the flavor was good.

Yep! I am on a 7-night! I have never had lobster before, but I love other seafood so I know I will love it, and I have nothing to compare it with. I can't wait!

At first glance I found the portions small on the Magic. But given the mutiple courses, they were the perfect size. But of course, you don't HAVE to clean your plate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter