PORT ORLEANS ???

6ofus

Earning My Ears
Hello !
From what I've been reading the handicap rooms have a larger bathroom resulting in a smaller bedroom area. Comments re the bridges at Dixie Landings has helped me make the decision not to stay there. We are considering PORT ORLEANS - French Q. Regular room - as I will transfer my son into the bath I don't need a larger bathroom.
Have any of you stayed at Port Orleans ? Any reasons why I should reconsider staying there ?
Is it close enough to the MK park that if we have a problem we can get back to the room fairly fast ? Someone suggested that a 2 bed villa at Old Key West would be a good choice , but we can't afford it.
Is Port Orleans a good choice ?

It is a nice place no big hills all the rooms are fairly close to the lobby. you need to take the bus to any of the parks though.

I'm not sure if this will help you but I recently called CRO to check on accessible rooms at PO French Quarter and PO Riverside (DxL) the CM told me that all rooms at both hotels have entrance doors that are wide enough for a wheelchair to enter the room, the Accessible rooms at DxL have only roll in showers and the Accessible rooms at PO have tubs and bathroom doors that are wide enough to allow a wheelchair to enter the space.
Non accessible rooms do not have bathroom doors that are wide enough to enter the room with a wheelchair.

Just some information if it helps :)

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Any info I can get is useful and much appreciated.

Ok as you prob know already Im not fond of DxL...hated it in fact...left for an "upgrade" the next day..and that is a different horror all together...

But I didnt like DxL for myself... a childs wheelchair can do more things than mine can and is sometimes smaller..and since you said you be lifting...but I found that bathroom area wasnt much but a hole

the lack of bed room area for bathroom doenst apply to DxL IMHO

Wheelsie Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
and
DisneyTips
wheelsie@mail.wdwinfo.com

yyc_mc.gif
dischat.gif

Some of the rooms at PO (French Quarter) can a bit far from the elevator, so I would request a 1st floor room or one near an elevator. Other than that I think you may enjoy the PO.

mick_anim.gif

We stayed at both the old DL (now PO Riverside) and at PO (now called French Quarter) when my dd was little and a child size wheelchair. She's still pretty narrow, but her legs are long, so her wheelcahir is an adult length. Like Wheelsie mentioned, kids wheelchairs can get into space that no adult wheelchair can get into. With a small child, you can probably manage with a regular room. The bathroom in those have a toilet/tub area that is small enough that you can touch the tub when you sit on the toilet. You can park the wheelchair outside that room if you will be lifting the person into the bathrrom. The sink are is part of the bedroom and is all open. The room looks bigger done that way, but the fully accessible rooms are the same size. ∫

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter