Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

We are so excited for our trip to Port Orleans we are 13 days away. Just planning which room would be the best to request is it better to give the information of what I really want or to specifically ask for a room. We paid for a king room we are two adults and one child so I know I will get the aligator bayou. We requested to be as close to the small pool as possible and I am thinking the corner room on the first floor of building 18 is the best room for us. My reasoning is that it is a king room, it is a corner room, it is right next to a pool view room which means close to a pool and its not connecting. As a plus it is a preferred location! What are your thoughts (we are there 11 nights)

Did you book a preferred room? If not, I don't know if I would specifically ask for building 18, because I would think they may be less likely to fill your request since that's not what you paid for. If you want something closer to the main building AND close to a quiet pool, I'd just say that. If you only ask for something by the quiet pool, you may end up in building 35 with quite a long hike! We requested close to food court, first floor corner, and we are in 17 right now.....we have a quiet pool very close, and it's only a few minute walk to the main building as well

Did you book a preferred room? If not, I don't know if I would specifically ask for building 18, because I would think they may be less likely to fill your request since that's not what you paid for.

They booked King Bed, which overrides all other categories and locations (including preferred buildings, river or pool views). So they could legitimately request any King Bed room in the Alligator Bayou section (it needs to be there for the 3 people option). That's any AB room coloured purple in my floorplan layouts, even the ones in buildings 14 or 18.

I'd suggest outlining the details of what would be ideal in the fax request, and use a room number in building 18 as an example of the perfect match. That way, if that room does happen to be free they might be assigned it, or otherwise the room assignment team know how to look for a close match.

Andre

They booked King Bed, which overrides all other categories and locations (including preferred buildings, river or pool views). So they could legitimately request any King Bed room in the Alligator Bayou section (it needs to be there for the 3 people option). That's any AB room coloured purple in my floorplan layouts, even the ones in buildings 14 or 18.

I'd suggest outlining the details of what would be ideal in the fax request, and use a room number in building 18 as an example of the perfect match. That way, if that room does happen to be free they might be assigned it, or otherwise the room assignment team know how to look for a close match.

Andre

Ah I see!! Good to know for the future too.....DS loves the small pull down beds, even though he is kind of large for them now, so we may want to book a king bed in the future!
And yes, in that case, I'd definitely mention 18 if looking for close to main building AND a quiet pool :)

We got building 17 which was a hike from the main area and bus stop. I sent a fax asking for a building close to the food court but I guess they didn't have any. Maybe if it wasn't summer it wouldn't have been such a chore to get from buses to room and food court to room.

As has been pointed out, you in fact got exactly what you asked for here. Kuddos to the room assgnment team for hooking you up. In fact, I am starting an 11 night stay at POR on the 19th, August and will be requesting building 16 or 17 (if assigned to AB) in my 5 day ahead fax in hopes of being as close to hospitality as my reservation will allow. I would be delighted to get building 17! Fingers crossed. :)

Last edited:

As has been pointed out, you in fact got exactly what you asked for here. Kuddos to the room assgnment team for hooking you up. In fact, I am starting an 11 night stay at POR on the 19th, August and will be requesting building 16 or 17 (if assigned to AB) in my 5 day ahead fax in hopes of being as close to hospitality as my reservation will allow. I would be delighted to get building 17! Fingers crossed. :)
I hope you get the building you want. POR is just not the resort for us.

Have a great time.

Have a great time.

No worries. Luckily they have lots of other resorts to try. I suspect if my finances allowed I would live at Boardwalk area resorts. My OKW stays have been courtesy of my brother's points. But as far as moderates, we really enjoyed POFQ, so I am imagining we'll like POR just as well, despite its sprawling design. :)

Last edited:

No worries. Luckily they have lots of other resorts to try. I suspect if my finances allowed I would like at Boardwalk area resorts. My OKW stays have been courtesy of my brother's points. But as far as moderates, we really enjoyed POFQ, so I am imagining we'll like POR just as well, despite its sprawling design. :)
I can say that we liked the food in the food court. Everything was very good. The buses were good too. Never waited too long to get the bus we needed.

POFQ looks really nice but we are a family of 5 so that wasn't an option for us.

I'm sure you will have a great time.

Don't forget to wave if you see me, I'll be there the same dates as you!

Andre

We we will be there on the 15th and i guess you know where you might be able to find me!

Hi everyone, love this thread, well done and very informative... Odd question here, but for me important. Usually stay in Deluxe but our daughter always wanted to do a Royal guest room. So for the room and the charm of this resort we are here Christmas time. I am allergic to mold spores, like very much so to the point of getting sinus infection and lung infection. How are the A/C in the rooms, anyone have a sensitive nose and smelled mildew coming from them when they are on... Sorry for the strange question but this may be a deal breaker for us staying here even though we are impressed with the feel and warmth of the resort... Thank you

I am allergic to mold spores, like very much so to the point of getting sinus infection and lung infection. How are the A/C in the rooms, anyone have a sensitive nose and smelled mildew coming from them when they are on...

You could request a VIP deep clean before you arrive, and also mention that A/C is a possible problem for you and perhaps ask for a room where the unit has recently been maintained and the filters changed?

Andre

Have a great time.
That's what's so good about WDW, so many resorts to choose:) But if you thought the walk from Bldg 17 was long, then even at the deluxes you should request a room close to lobby or main Bldg. We have stayed in rooms that was about a 10 minute walk to the FC, which does not bother our family. We actually like the walks at the resorts that you are outside more than inside. But that is just us. Glad to see that the buses were good while you were at POR, they usually do not get good reviews, even though we rarely had issues with them.

That's what's so good about WDW, so many resorts to choose:) But if you thought the walk from Bldg 17 was long, then even at the deluxes you should request a room close to lobby or main Bldg. We have stayed in rooms that was about a 10 minute walk to the FC, which does not bother our family. We actually like the walks at the resorts that you are outside more than inside. But that is just us. Glad to see that the buses were good while you were at POR, they usually do not get good reviews, even though we rarely had issues with them.
I did say that maybe the walk outside bothered us so much because it was summer. I don't mind the walk at the deluxe resorts since you are in air conditioning most of the walk.

I love to walk. I'd rather walk places. But the Florida heat and humidity really takes a toll on you when you are not used to it.

We are so excited about our first stay at POR! I read here that the boats to DTD can require a long wait due to nonresort guests, and then it's a 30 minute walk to La Nouba. :( Anyway, on our last full day we plan to visit Animal Kingdom (for the first time!) and then go to DTD (also a first for us) to see La Nouba at 6 pm (though I read you should be there 30 minutes early to see the clowns.) I have not made any ADRs yet for that day. We usually eat breakfast in our room. Any suggestions for when we should leave AK (by car) and how best to get to DTD? Where should we plan to eat? I'm worried there might not be time for any ADRs. I don't know if we should just plan on quicker counter service meals that day. At AK I have a fastpass for the safari in the morning, and we want to see the Lion King and Nemo shows and do a few rides and character pictures before we head back to the resort to freshen up and go to DTD. I really want that day to be great, but I'm clueless about how to plan it.
I highly recommend Wolfgang Express in the Marketplace area of DTD. The quality of the food is excellent! If you happen to be on the Disney Dining Plan, it counts as a quick service meal even though a server delivers your food to the table (you do order at the counter).

I'd recommend that you arrive before rope drop at AK. You should be able to leave AK at around 3 or 3:30 & have plenty of time to get to DTD, if driving there, & to eat at WGP Express and get to La Nouba 1/2 hour early.

This will be our first visit to POR so not super familiar with the resort yet (learning lots here). Is there a room close to food court & bus stop which also has elevators? Elevator is lowest priority of those but would help as I have a bad knee.
Thanks
Cyndi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!