Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2014 (Please read first post for FAQs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you! I won't make a request then since there are elevators so any floor should be ok.

Do remember that the elevators are only in the middle sections of the mansion buildings, if your room is in one of the outer wing areas you could have quite some distance to go to get to and from the elevator...

However, after reading this thread, it looks like we maybe should have booked a king room and requested a preferred location? Should we attempt to make some sort of change, or do yall have any suggestions for how we can ensure that we will get a room with a king bed?

If you book Preferred, you most likely will not get a King Bed as all of the rooms sold under the Preferred Location category have two queen beds.

You'd be better booking King Bed, and then requesting a room as close to the main building as possible (ideally in buildings 14, 15 or 18). See http://www.portorleans.org/maps-and-directions.php and click on each building to see where the King Bed rooms are located (they are shown in purple).

Andre

We are booked at POR in Mid Oct. First time we've stayed at this hotel (we stayed French Qtr?? and POP century).

Our room should be the garden view. Is there an area of the hotel better than others as far as close to the bus stops/main bldg/food? I'm going to find a map and look it over but I remember the walk from the bus stop to our room at Pop century was a bit long.

And, if there is a recommended room, can I request it? Glancing through the thread it seems alot of folks do that so I was just wanting to know how far in advance I could do that?

Also, can you swim mid Oct? Or is it too cold?

I just discovered the thread today so I haven't looked at all of it but will start trying to read through it soon.

thanks

We are booked at POR in Mid Oct. First time we've stayed at this hotel (we stayed French Qtr?? and POP century). Our room should be the garden view. Is there an area of the hotel better than others as far as close to the bus stops/main bldg/food? I'm going to find a map and look it over but I remember the walk from the bus stop to our room at Pop century was a bit long. And, if there is a recommended room, can I request it? Glancing through the thread it seems alot of folks do that so I was just wanting to know how far in advance I could do that? Also, can you swim mid Oct? Or is it too cold? I just discovered the thread today so I haven't looked at all of it but will start trying to read through it soon. thanks

Definitely not too cold in Oct! We were just there this past oct and it was HOT! Heck, when we go in January we swim! ;)

Carriage rides say 3 adults and 2 kids, do you think they would allow 3 adults, 4 yo, 2 yo and infant?

I still haven't found an answer to the question above, and also I got my countdown email and it said something about calling for reservations for the carriage rides, how necessary is that? Just not sure exactly which night I want to do it.

I still haven't found an answer to the question above, and also I got my countdown email and it said something about calling for reservations for the carriage rides, how necessary is that? Just not sure exactly which night I want to do it.

As I'm sure you're aware, the official answer would probably be no - but if the infant could sit on parents' laps on one side, and the other adult and two children sit on the other seat, it might work if the driver is OK with it. However safety will be their prime concern.

Maybe call the booking number and ask them? Or speak to one of the drivers on your first day at the resort, and then if it's OK book a ride for sometime later in your vacation. You might not get an on-the-day walkup slot, but there will probably be something available over the following few days.

Andre

I hate how long it takes to get any where via Disney Transport, and at times, I certainly wouldn't mind dropping the $20 for a taxi, but the biggest issue for me is car seats. I have lil ones that still need car seats per FL law, and one of the biggest draw about vacationing at WDW is that we don't have to schlep those cumbersome things with us...not that we'd haul them around while we're touring resorts and parks anyway. Granted, the drive is fairly short, but if car seats weren't an issue, I'd take a taxi in a heart beat. Unless you guys know something about legally not requiring car seats in taxis that I don't know, then please do share. :D
I know I'm waay late on this thread, (and I haven't read ahead yet to see if someone is going to say the same as me) but we have a toddler, we don't bring a car seat with us, and we always take taxis!! Here's the key, when you go to the taxi stand, only approach the buses, not the cars. We've gone three times in 2 years, and we have NEVER had a taxi driver NOT have a car seat with him. Most even carry two! You just have to ask. My husband installs it himself in a couple of seconds, and he tips the driver $2 up front before he installs, in addition to the tip at the end. My toddler was in a car seat for every single taxi ride, often twice a day. :) Just ask for them, they have them!:)

What is the earliest you can send a fax for room requests? We will be moving to POR from POP, half way through a "split stay" so if I sent a fax before we left for our trip, it would be one week prior to check in. Is that too early to be helpful?

What is the earliest you can send a fax for room requests? We will be moving to POR from POP, half way through a "split stay" so if I sent a fax before we left for our trip, it would be one week prior to check in. Is that too early to be helpful?

5 Days out is usually the max. But the way your describing the details of your split stay, Id send it before you leave for the first part. You should be ok that way.

Refrigerators In Rooms??? When we were booking our trip over a year ago I recall reading that there were problems with the refrigerators throughout the resort and that they were replacing them in phases and that you should not expect to have one in the room. I am curious to hear from recent guests if they have refrigerators in their rooms?? If not, we need to request one for my dad who needs one for meds. Thanks in advance for your help.

Refrigerators In Rooms??? When we were booking our trip over a year ago I recall reading that there were problems with the refrigerators throughout the resort and that they were replacing them in phases and that you should not expect to have one in the room. I am curious to hear from recent guests if they have refrigerators in their rooms?? If not, we need to request one for my dad who needs one for meds. Thanks in advance for your help.

They have fixed all the fridges. All rooms have them at POR so you will be fine.

I know I'm waay late on this thread, (and I haven't read ahead yet to see if someone is going to say the same as me) but we have a toddler, we don't bring a car seat with us, and we always take taxis!! Here's the key, when you go to the taxi stand, only approach the buses, not the cars. We've gone three times in 2 years, and we have NEVER had a taxi driver NOT have a car seat with him. Most even carry two! You just have to ask. My husband installs it himself in a couple of seconds, and he tips the driver $2 up front before he installs, in addition to the tip at the end. My toddler was in a car seat for every single taxi ride, often twice a day. :) Just ask for them, they have them!:)

Awesome! Thanks for the tip! I just might have to do that.

Can anyone tell me about the windows at POR?? Just planning out our window decorations.........not obsessed or anything ;-)

None of them have the capability to freeze, do they?

They are fridges rather than fridge/freezers, so generally no freezer compartment. I say generally as there have been a few reports of an odd room or two which did have freezer compartments (after the replacement program from last year) but there are certainly not many.

Can anyone tell me about the windows at POR?? Just planning out our window decorations.........not obsessed or anything ;-)

They are made of glass?

OK, maybe you wanted more? The outer dimensions are around 5ft x 5ft, and the number of panes varies by section (the mansion buildings have 16 smaller panes, while Alligator Bayou generally has 4 larger panes). Don't use tape or anything else which might leave residue that will need to be cleaned after you leave.

Andre

They are made of glass? OK, maybe you wanted more? The outer dimensions are around 5ft x 5ft, and the number of panes varies by section (the mansion buildings have 16 smaller panes, while Alligator Bayou generally has 4 larger panes). Don't use tape or anything else which might leave residue that will need to be cleaned after you leave. Andre

Haha ;-)

we have a preferred room in alligator bayou so that gives me a great idea of what I have to work with. Thank you Andre

I arrive in 12 days (technically 13 because we don't get in until after 1 AM). I'm getting very excited reading about everyone's room requests.

I have two consecutive reservations one for a garden view for 10 nights and the other for a Royal room garden view for 4 nights. For both I think I will request a lovely view upper floor not on the parking lot side of the building.

My DD prefers the Magnolia Bend section and Acadian and Magnolia have garden view rooms on the parking lot side of the building. I'm a light sleeper and most important I booked Riverside because I think it's the most beautiful resort. I spent literally weeks checking the site for availability trying to switch from Coronado (also nice resort but I'm from drought hit Texas and I need green). I don't think I will request a section as we are just a party of 3 and it doesn't matter to me as long as the view is nice.

I know there isn't a balcony, but when I open my door and see the loveliness that is Riverside I smile and my day starts magically.

I don't mind being far from the main building or the bus stop. I love to walk through the resort and any excuse to do that even at the end of the day is fine with me. We will have a rental so will be driving to most of the parks.

I am bringing a friend of my daughter's for her first trip to Disney and it will be her 17th birthday while we are there. She doesn't know we are staying at Riverside or even that there are such places as Royal rooms. They don't know I got a reservation a Be Our Guest either. So many things to look forward to!

need everyone's help. So i have booked CSR Business Class- BC- (includes breakfast and evening snacks and preferred location) for the christmas holiday. i just found out I have a pin code and can book FD at POR or POFQ for the same time period. I made two reservations to hold them both so i can decide. So now i have both CSR BC booked and POR Royal Rooms booked. Which one should I do? pros and cons of both for anyone that stayed in both? I have twin girl 4 year old who i know will LOVE the theming of the royal rooms at POR. but i also have a husband who needs to get work done at night. the BC at CSR we would take advantage of breakfast about half the time. suggestions? i don't know what to do! thanks!

also, if you think i should get a preferred room over royal room let me know, but i think my girls would be in heaven over the princess theming so i cant imagine going any other way. thanks!

Just checked in. Requested building 14 or as close as possible due to a medical need. Ended up with building 16 which isn't bad considering I did not pay for preferred. Our room isn't ready yet so hopefully their text message system works. :)

Just checked in. Requested building 14 or as close as possible due to a medical need. Ended up with building 16 which isn't bad considering I did not pay for preferred. Our room isn't ready yet so hopefully their text message system works. :)

Well at least you got that close and got some magic with location!!

Well at least you got that close and got some magic with preferred at that!!!

I'm not sure what you mean. They got building 16 which does not have Preferred rooms. They didn't pay for Preferred so they got what they paid for. What "magic with preferred" are you talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter