Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part Two [Thread now FULL and closed]

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by andrewilley, May 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ILoveMMouse

ILoveMMouse Earning My Ears

I don't think you picked up on the sarcasm, he was probably referring to the fact that this is an FAQ thread about POR, not the Wishes Dessert Party ;)

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. eaf2063

eaf2063 Earning My Ears

We do the same thing also.... money in the Disney Jug. We make sure that we put something each day and on the days we have no change.... a dollar bill goes in.... it adds up fast!!!

4. Linda67

Linda67 Has a Masters in Margaritas

Thanks Andre
    I suppose the most important thing to us is the location. A king bed would be nice but certainly not essential so I am thinking it would be best to go for the preferred room just to be sure of getting that
    By the way, I've just been looking at your website - wow, you have done an incredible job!
    So much info, thanks so much for helping everyone plan :)

5. bigmac5

bigmac5 DIS Veteran

I do that too. In Canada change can add up fast since we have $1 and $2 coins :)

6. rymel76

rymel76 Earning My Ears

36 days til we get to POR. Got my Mickey mail today. Nice birthday treat for me today.

7. Alice515

Alice515 Mouseketeer

happy birthday!!!

8. andrewilley

andrewilley GNU Terry Pratchett

Curses, rumbled. :)

Andre

9. katejp

katejp Earning My Ears

Hi
    Just catching up with this thread. First time staying on property with DH and three DD's 15,12 and 6.. princess: Would you say it is ok for my elder two girls to travel to a park on the buses by themselves once we have done it as a family a few times if they wanted to?

10. LisaTC

LisaTC DIS Veteran

They, technically, can do it as long as your 15 year old has ID and proof of age. This is because nobody under 14 can enter parks alone with our somebody age 14 and older. According to the release: the policy wont be enforced by employees checking IDs at the entrance gates because most children under age 14 dont have official IDs. Instead employees will be given the authority to question and contact the parents of children who are entering the park alone and appear to be under age 14.

11. Alice515

Alice515 Mouseketeer

How early do the buses show up to go to the parks? I booked an ADR at Akershus for 8:25 am and Epcot opens at 9:00 am. Will we make it using buses or should I cancel the breakfast? I guess we could consider taking a taxi if absolutely necessary. I'm just not sure if they have them onsite at POR; if not, how early do we need to call a cab? Around how much would it cost us? Sorry for so many questions, I'm just stressing.

12. LisaTC

LisaTC DIS Veteran

If Epcot opens at 9, you will easily catch a bus by 7:30. They also know there are breakfast ADR's at these places beginning at 8. I think you'll be fine. I wouldn't cancel. Walking into Epcot pre-opening is sooo cool. Taxis are available at POR easily as well. I wouldn't stress!

13. dansdad

dansdad DIS Veteran

Buses start rolling at 6:30.

14. gmedolphin

gmedolphin Earning My Ears

15. Alice515

Alice515 Mouseketeer

Thank you!

16. Alice515

Alice515 Mouseketeer

Thank you!

17. PrincessV

PrincessV DIS Veteran

Just wanted to share, in hopes of helping others planning their trips!

I stayed at POR twice over the past few weeks - two nights in an Alligator Bayou room and three nights in a Magnolia Bend room. Both were terrific! My son and I agreed that the refurbs in both rooms were awesome and we really couldn't pick one over the other as a favorite, despite how different they were.

For our AB stay, we were in building 34 (booked a std view at AP rate). Technically speaking, we had a parking lot view, but it's so wooded, what we really saw out our windows were trees. We had an odd room - the entire bathroom was doored off from the rest of the room, with toilet, vanities and tub all together. It had a low counter and rails around the toilet, as if it were HA... but the tub had no rails. No pull-out bed and we had an armoir with low hang bars instead of the usual rod next to the vanity area. And the room was on the 2nd floor of a building with no elevator. :confused3 It worked great for the two of us; just odd. The walk to Ol' Man Island wasn't bad at all, room was clean, and grounds gorgeous, albeit buggy... bring the bug spray if you have insect bite allergies! I was bitten by mosquitoes and a yellow fly while walking to the bus stop.

Our MB stay was in the Magnolia Terrace building (again, std view at an AP rate.) Totally different furnishings, but just as clean and pretty! I always request rooms on the top floor and got a 3rd floor room here. The 3rd floor is just a small number of rooms that don't extend all the way around the building, so finding a good stair system was interesting: no stairs go all the way up. We had our pick of several different stairs to the second floor, had to walk a bit more, then had two options of stairs to get to the 3rd floor. Strange, but manageable. Also, an elevator in the middle of the building, which we used when toting luggage. 'Ol Man Island and food was easily accessible, as was the quiet pool next-door.

Things that really delighted me about both locations:

~ Ample parking.

~ Low noise from outside and other rooms. Not even the infamous Disney sonic flush from the room next door! (It was inhabited and they HAD to have flushed at some point, right?!)

~ Great lighting at the dining table, over beds, in vanity and bathrooms.

~ Lots of shade on public walkways.

We've long made CBR and CSR our go-to resorts, but POR just joined them. It'll be whichever is cheapest from now on, with POR likely taking top place if the price is the same for all. :thumbsup2

18. Missytara

Missytara I'm all ears!

I have to say one of the pluses of POR and POFQ over CBR (never stayed at CSR) is the fact that once you walk across the parking lot, and get under the corridor above in the building, you are walking in the shade to your room.

19. ssatterly

ssatterly DIS Veteran

Which section is your fav at POR?

20. disneydan11

disneydan11 Earning My Ears

After much debate, discussion and going back and forth we are officially booked for our POR vacation!
    Aug 11-16th with two kiddos, DD5 and DS7 with the following ADRS:
    Sun dinner: Sanaa - figured the kids would like the view
    Mon Lunch: Akershus
    Mon Dinner: The Wave
    Tues Dinner: La Hacienda at 8:15 to see Illuminations
    Wed Dinner: Ohana
    Thurs Dinner: Chef Mickey's

We live close by and do lots of day trips/weekend trips but this will be our first BIG trip staying on property!

21. bbak3030

bbak3030 Mouseketeer

Thanks for the reply! We are gonna give it a try!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.