Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part Three (NOW CLOSED, see 2014 thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!!

Well my sister has thrown me a curve ball.:duck: ...I posted a few days ago regarding her family of 5 and whether or not they would be in AB during the family trip in Dec. Since the general consensus was yes, I told her to check out AB, the rooms and the murphy bed.
Unfortunately, she does not think the murphy bed would suit any of my nephews. The 2 year old has not graduated to a big boy bed yet and my 5 year old twin nephews, she doesn't feel that the murphy would work for them either....:confused3

Her plan was to have the twins share a queen size and have a pack n play in the room for the 2 year old.

Could we request MB instead and a pack n play for her family?? Would Disney have a problem with MB instead of AB because they are a family of 5?

I thought I had everything sorted out.....

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :goodvibes

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the murphy beds are rather low when down, and you can request rails. Seems like it would be OK for a 2 year old, you could even put something on the floor; pillows or a blanket, just in case. But I do understand that everyone has different levels of comfort.

the pack & play will work and you don't need to be in AB, as someone else mentioned, since one child is under 3.

Thanks AmyKat and Yellowstonetim

I was hoping it wouldn't be a big deal!!
Honestly, I think my sis would rather stay in MB rather than AB...and doesn't' want to say it....but it's just a feeling....

thanks again!!!:thumbsup2

40 days out and still no Mickey mail.....when are people normally getting their paperwork sent to them?

Supposedly there will be Pirates of the Caribbean and other themed ones in the near future.

That would really surprise me, as it would be a) more expensive, and b) cut into the accessory sales from Merchandise.
But then again, I don't understand why they overnight bands to families that are not leaving for a month? :confused3

Magic Bands arrived!

bth_IMG_0538_zps4e8293b4.jpg

DD wanted she and I to have the same color and decided to model hers....
bth_IMG_0535_zpsdc3c2c9a.jpg

4 weeks from this very moment we will be on our way ~ woo hoo!

Subscribing....just returning from 10 days at POFQ....just reserved a few days at POR with my mom! Can't wait to learn everything I can! It looked beautiful when we would sometimes pass it on the bus!

Joining in since we have a very tentative trip book for President's Week at POR. We're trying to take advantage of a free dining pin, but may have to move our reservation to April or the summer if things don't fall into place.

Since we're not sure if our oldest will be coming, I wanted to book a room that fit 5. I've booked AB, preferred.

Out last stay at POR was in 2007 and we had mixed feelings about the resort.
We loved:
- the food court
- the peace and quiet
- the CM's

We were not crazy about:
- the size of the resort/ how far away our room was from the main building: I took care of that by booking preferred (there was no preferred category back when we went)
- the overall theme/ decor of our room: I was very excited when they redid them; loved the new look; hopefully the bedding and fridge situations will be resolved before we go

*** One thought about the bedding. I've been looking at photos from other resorts that have the white sheets w/ the runner. They actually look pretty nice. My favorites are the Poly and Coronado, but even the beds at All Star Sports look nice with the runner. I can't imagine that WDW would add a touch like this to the values but leave a moderate with only the plain white sheets. :confused: Only time will tell I guess.

Oh, and the runners on the Sports beds look just like the comforters that were there before. I wouldn't be surprised if the POR comforters are being repurposed.

That would really surprise me, as it would be a) more expensive, and b) cut into the accessory sales from Merchandise.
But then again, I don't understand why they overnight bands to families that are not leaving for a month? :confused3

Yeah me either. But they did mention it would cost more for the themed ones like pirates, tink, etc.

Magic Bands arrived!

bth_IMG_0538_zps4e8293b4.jpg

DD wanted she and I to have the same color and decided to model hers....
bth_IMG_0535_zpsdc3c2c9a.jpg

4 weeks from this very moment we will be on our way ~ woo hoo!

Looking good. I love my Orange one.

Well I checked out the room we stayed in this past spring on that site and it said no connecting room but it was in fact a connecting room ! I am guessing the site isn't overly accurate

Same with ours from earlier this month. 2716 is a connecting room and it says it is not.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the murphy beds are rather low when down, and you can request rails. Seems like it would be OK for a 2 year old, you could even put something on the floor; pillows or a blanket, just in case. But I do understand that everyone has different levels of comfort. the pack & play will work and you don't need to be in AB, as someone else mentioned, since one child is under 3.

We were just their earlier in October. The Murphy bed was a pretty standard bed height to me. We had our 5 year old sleep in it, but put some pillows along side her to prevent her from rolling out. I would not have let my 2.5 year old sleep in it without rails.

Quite. And it's just one more thing for people to forget to bring on their vacation with them, and what real use is having them in advance anyway? Even if someone checks in via a Mobile Lobby iPad, the CM still needs to fetch the prepared Welcome Pack, so fetching a whole MB box at the same time wouldn't delay the process by much.

The only thing I can think of is that it reduces the storage and inventory management process for the resorts (which, at anything up to 600 or so checkins on a really busy day at POR, could be pretty major).

Of course it does also set the system up ready for eventual 'Direct to Room' guest arrivals, but that's not going be the implemented in the near future as far as I know.

I can't honestly see much more than the basic coloured Magic Bands being given out as freebies though, I think anything else will be a $$$ merchandise item. I do wonder if at some point in the future they might even start charging for the option of home delivery of bands though - it must be ridiculously expensive to do at the moment, and for what gain? Maybe even with extra options for special purchasable types at the same time? It's the old "reel 'em in" trick, the same as happened with the Dining Plan - it started as three courses with gratuity included, now it's two courses plus an extra tip extra, and two credits needed for a number of locations..... but strangely enough the base price didn't go down accordingly. (Cynical, moi? Surely not! :) )

Andre

Quite. It's just one more thing for people to forget to bring on their vacation with them, and what use is having them in the meantime anyway? Even if someone is checked in via a Mobile Lobby iPad, the CM still needs to fetch a Welcome Pack, so fetching a MB box too wouldn't delay the process by much.

The only thing I can think of is that it reduces the storage and inventory management process for the resorts (which, at anything up to 600 or so checkins on a really busy day at POR, could be pretty major).

Of course it does also set the system up ready for Direct to Room checkins, but they are not going be the implemented in the near future as far as I know.

Andre

I have to agree . How many people will forget them. I won't I'm so disney trip list anal. But it will happen its just more to remember

The November 2013 Recreation Activities and Movie Schedule for Port Orleans Riverside is now available. See the main Recreation Activities Schedule page for full-size PDF versions, or click on the image below.

The outdoor movies will start at 7pm and the daily campfires commence at 5pm this month.

Andre

Quite. And it's just one more thing for people to forget to bring on their vacation with them, and what real use is having them in advance anyway? Even if someone checks in via a Mobile Lobby iPad, the CM still needs to fetch the prepared Welcome Pack, so fetching a whole MB box at the same time wouldn't delay the process by much.

Of course it does also set the system up ready for eventual 'Direct to Room' guest arrivals, but that's not going be the implemented in the near future as far as I know.

Andre

Don't people use them for MDE? I guess that's one reason to have them ahead of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!