Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part Three (NOW CLOSED, see 2014 thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I think your idea is better.
When i made the original ressies I guessed the wrong weekend for TOT so we had to add the extra nights and extend our vacations (I had to put in the request or not get September/October approval and just guessed wrong).

I"m not sure mine is better or not...after all, I'll have most of my trip AFTER the run, quite possible in pain! :) And it might backfire from trip exhaustion, not sure.

In January though I'm doing the Half and 5K, and I'm definitely doing it your way for that one. But that's b/c I run in the evening anyway, so the TOT is easy on me, but I'm not sure about running a half starting at what I feel is midnight, LOL.

Does anyone know if all the refrigerators have been replaced at POR by now? It won't be a huge inconvenience if we don't have one, but I know we've always enjoyed being able to use one there in the past for drinks and snacks.

According to the info in the first post of this thread, nope. Not all done.

in Oct are we still going to be able to both fastpass+ and fastpass?

Well you can for now, but October is another month and no one can say for certain what Disney will do next with the FP+ tests. By the end of October all of the on-site resort guests should be using FP+, but regular park guests probably won't as yet, so my guess is that you will be OK - but that's only a guess.

Does anyone know if all the refrigerators have been replaced at POR by now?

See the FAQ in the first post. I don't have anything more recent than that as yet, and will update it when we get more info.

Andre

I don't know for sure, but the bridge on the other side of the island was closed last month for 5 days for repair work on the decking, so I'm guessing this is probably the same. The workers, or the front desk, should be able to tell you - and then could you let us know? Thanks.

Andre

your probably correct - I will be at POR on 9/26 and if this hasn't been finished by then will try to get an update.

However, if you are going to be there end of October and early November, you aren't going to get to see Christmas -- they don't start setting up for that until Thanksgiving.

Tom

Not true. We've been going for the first week of November for the past 4 years, and usually by the middle of that week the parks have started putting up the Holiday decorations. We've even done MVMCP and the Osborne Lights that first week of November. It's true, though, that most of the resorts do not have their decorations and holiday offerings until closer to Thanksgiving, but going in early November you can still see the beginnings of the Holidays.

That depends! As a floridian I know it can be diff every year. There is definitely a possibility of cold fronts @ that time but other than that I'd say 80s lower hopefully but i need a sweater around 78 lol. I have gone trick or treating and froze but more often than not its still warm

This is the time of year where it also gets cooler @ night I was talking day time temps!
sounds great!! Thank you

I'm nervous about the fridge. What do you mean they would only give refund if it was a medical necessity? So, there is not a guarantee for a medical necessity? My DH is diabetic. We HAVE to have a fridge. It's not an option....his med has to be refrigerated. I have the request on our ressie, and will fax request. Andre...should I be concerned? I'm nervous after reading this.
They will get you a fridge!!! we had it in our fax and it was not in our room--but they got one and did so with a smile

Back from a 9 night stay at POR, and it was fantastic!

First, thank you to the MacDonald family our neighbors in room 9104(or 5?) who left us a partial case of bottled water, some vitamin water, and some gatorade on the morning they checked out, with a nice note asking us to enjoy.

Thank you very much. It is the small unexpected gestures of kindness that can really have an impact.

The resort is beautiful. We asked for the closest room possible and had made a few other secondary requests such as corner, 1st floor. I also agreed to pay for an upgrade to get closer. We were pixie dusted a corner, Royal room, garden view in Oak Manor, 9103 to be exact.

And for Andre; I was texted my room number while in Animal Kingdom and was immediately able to access your website on my Note II and locate the room on your maps, so I knew exactly where it was. :) Thanks.

The walk was a little bit to the main buildings but parking was close. Did I mention this place is beautiful.

The Royal rooms are fun. I think my wife pushed the button for fireworks on the bed twice. I did it every single time I got near the bed. :lmao:
I had no refrigerator, but I had made it clear I didn't need one if someone else did need one. When I checked out I asked for the discount and was given it immediately with no questions asked.

All the CM's were nice and when I stood around near the online checkin someone came by and took care of things with a tablet. Same thing at checkout.
Saw a racoon near the one bridge in the evening while taking the boat to DTD.

We spent a lot of time in the parks so we didn't get to use the mugs much. By the time we got back either the place was closed or the line was long so we didin't bother. Ate at the food court once and it was fine.

Our room was well cared for and we had cute towel animals at various times. I could tell when cleaning people changed due to their different styles of animals and other things - first one was good, second didn't do much, third was fantastic and did all the rooms around us with "displays" of two towel animals in each window.

Every CM we came in contact with was pleasant and helpful. And the place was beautiful. Did I say that already?

With a hanging organizer and collapsible hamper we did fine and were able to unpack the suitcases and live out of the room. (I dislike living out of a suitcase for some reason.)

Magic Bands worked absolutely fine except once: One day going into Epcot they wouldn't work. Someone came with a tablet, did something, and immediately they worked and we were on our way. That was the only issue we had.

The only other issue was that you have to physically touch the band to whatever the scanner is and it is best to lay the flat thick part of the band flat on the scanner. This is inconvienient when opening your door, your arm doesn't normally bend that way, and it was almost impossible to use the scanner to enter the resort (at the gate) We would end up using the card or my wife took her band off to touch it to the scanner. They should change the shape of some scanners if they want us to use a band attached to our wrists. The round balls at the parks were not problem.

Buying things and FP+ were easy and worked with out a hitch. The buying was too easy in fact!:rolleyes1

Loved the hot tub and it wasn't too busy. ( I was worried about one hot tub for such a big resort, but all was OK.) Pool was nice and the landscape was lush with good landscaping. I liked the way Ol' Man Island was covered in trees and the pool was almost invisible from the buildings side of the river.

We would definitely do it again.

Two little notes of interest: The older CM who stands at the front to greet people and give them stickers or just say good morning, good evening, or welcome home, was very nice and added a great deal to the beginning or ending of the day and the trip. Second, I was driving out to return our ECV I had rented and one of the carts comes by on the road, the car was empty except for the driver. The driver all of the sudden lifted up a professionally made sign that just said, "Hey, Y'all!". As he drove by me. I laughed out loud and waved back! It made my trip pleasant. I don't know why such little things have such a big impact, but they do.

Now I need to plan the next trip. Thanks everyone for your help in making our trip awesome!

First, thank you to the MacDonald family our neighbors in room 9104(or 5?) who left us a partial case of bottled water, some vitamin water, and some gatorade on the morning they checked out, with a nice note asking us to enjoy.

Thank you very much. It is the small unexpected gestures of kindness that can really have an impact.

The resort is beautiful. We asked for the closest room possible and had made a few other secondary requests such as corner, 1st floor. I also agreed to pay for an upgrade to get closer. We were pixie dusted a corner, Royal room, garden view in Oak Manor, 9103 to be exact.

And for Andre; I was texted my room number while in Animal Kingdom and was immediately able to access your website on my Note II and locate the room on your maps, so I knew exactly where it was. :) Thanks.

The walk was a little bit to the main buildings but parking was close. Did I mention this place is beautiful.

The Royal rooms are fun. I think my wife pushed the button for fireworks on the bed twice. I did it every single time I got near the bed. :lmao:
I had no refrigerator, but I had made it clear I didn't need one if someone else did need one. When I checked out I asked for the discount and was given it immediately with no questions asked.

All the CM's were nice and when I stood around near the online checkin someone came by and took care of things with a tablet. Same thing at checkout.
Saw a racoon near the one bridge in the evening while taking the boat to DTD.

We spent a lot of time in the parks so we didn't get to use the mugs much. By the time we got back either the place was closed or the line was long so we didin't bother. Ate at the food court once and it was fine.

Our room was well cared for and we had cute towel animals at various times. I could tell when cleaning people changed due to their different styles of animals and other things - first one was good, second didn't do much, third was fantastic and did all the rooms around us with "displays" of two towel animals in each window.

Every CM we came in contact with was pleasant and helpful. And the place was beautiful. Did I say that already?

With a hanging organizer and collapsible hamper we did fine and were able to unpack the suitcases and live out of the room. (I dislike living out of a suitcase for some reason.)

Magic Bands worked absolutely fine except once: One day going into Epcot they wouldn't work. Someone came with a tablet, did something, and immediately they worked and we were on our way. That was the only issue we had.

The only other issue was that you have to physically touch the band to whatever the scanner is and it is best to lay the flat thick part of the band flat on the scanner. This is inconvienient when opening your door, your arm doesn't normally bend that way, and it was almost impossible to use the scanner to enter the resort (at the gate) We would end up using the card or my wife took her band off to touch it to the scanner. They should change the shape of some scanners if they want us to use a band attached to our wrists. The round balls at the parks were not problem.

Buying things and FP+ were easy and worked with out a hitch. The buying was too easy in fact!:rolleyes1

Loved the hot tub and it wasn't too busy. ( I was worried about one hot tub for such a big resort, but all was OK.) Pool was nice and the landscape was lush with good landscaping. I liked the way Ol' Man Island was covered in trees and the pool was almost invisible from the buildings side of the river.

We would definitely do it again.

Two little notes of interest: The older CM who stands at the front to greet people and give them stickers or just say good morning, good evening, or welcome home, was very nice and added a great deal to the beginning or ending of the day and the trip. Second, I was driving out to return our ECV I had rented and one of the carts comes by on the road, the car was empty except for the driver. The driver all of the sudden lifted up a professionally made sign that just said, "Hey, Y'all!". As he drove by me. I laughed out loud and waved back! It made my trip pleasant. I don't know why such little things have such a big impact, but they do.

Now I need to plan the next trip. Thanks everyone for your help in making our trip awesome!

Thanks for the great review! Sounds like you had a wonderful time. :goodvibes

Wow this was a great synopsis! Nice to hear things went well for you! Appreciate you taking the time to share with us! Nice you got some pixiedust: in unexpected ways....

I was there last year at that time and it was in the 80s every day. I will also be there in a month and will update. However, if you are going to be there end of October and early November, you aren't going to get to see Christmas -- they don't start setting up for that until Thanksgiving.

Tom

This is not true, first Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party is
Nov. 8th and most resorts will have C-decorations up around them also.

We were there on Nov. 2nd once and Christmas decoration were already up in MK.

At work right now til 6am, leaving just as soon as DBF gets off of work tonight. He was supposed to be 7a to 4p today and got bumped to 5a to 2p so we get to leave 2 hours earlier!! *SO* excited. I don't know how I'm going to be able to get a nap in before we head out!

Wow! I popped in for a quick update and we're already on page 7 of the new thread!

Two more sleeps and we'll be on our way to Disney! I'm freaking out! I'm almost a little sad because I know I'm going to blink and the trip will be over!

I'm hoping and wishing and praying that it's not too hot or rainy. And also hoping for a little pixie dust for our room request that I faxed in on Saturday. Regardless, we'll be in DISNEY! And it will be perfect!

Thanks once again for all of the wonderful information!

Wow, so you didn't really enjoy yourselves or anything? :) Great trip report.

Glad the floorplan maps proved useful to you; they took a lot of time to research and create but I'm really pleased that people are finding them helpful. I never really thought about folks actually being in Disney and using my site while they are there, neat!

By the way (and this goes out to anyone else who writes trip reports too), once you've posted your reviews here I'd be really grateful if you could maybe take a few moments and also post something in the Trip Reports section on my Port Orleans site too. Just a quick cut'n'paste would be fine, no need to type it all out again. Thanks everyone!

Andre

We have five days left until we check in. Three days until we leave and I have two more shifts at work. I think I have perma smile right now. I'm so looking forward until Friday when we leave and Sunday when we check in. I've really enjoyed reading about everyone's plans and trips. I'm so excited that it's finally here.:)

Wow that last thread went quick!

We leave in 37 days and cannot wait, 1st visit to POR. Andre I love your website. Thanks for all the hard work you have done on both this site and your site, it is really appreciated.

My question is does the rooms have luggage racks? I understand AB does not have a lot of space but if there is a rack then DH will be happy using that.

Did I mention I have 37 more sleeps?

My question is does the rooms have luggage racks? I understand AB does not have a lot of space but if there is a rack then DH will be happy using that.

AB doesn't, but the mansion building rooms have bench seats which are ideal for putting luggage on.

Andre

Hello Everyone...26 days until vacation...seems like its been a long wait (booked on March 1st). I received my magic bands yesterday (they are so cool!) and still waiting on my mickey mail from my TA (I know it can take longer). Quick question, I have been searching and getting different answers, so I thought I would ask here since we will be at POR

So, I noticed from other boards that credit cards are not charged until you leave or reach a balance? Since I will be going with my daughter and sister, can she have her own credit card on her magic band and I have one on mine? If so, I read that still at the end of vacation you may need to figure out who charged for what? I am planning on paying for our gratuity, extra meals/snacks not on the meal plan and souvenirs me and my daughter may want. My sister would be charging for souvenirs only or maybe some of her snacks she may want. Is this possible? Also, is there a way to check how much you have spent each night charging? I don't want it to be the end of the trip with a huge bill and not know how to pay for it. I know I will try and mentally keep track but don't know how that will be on spur of the moment type purchases. Our package is all paid for so it would just be what we buy in Disney.

Any insight would be great. The POR threads on the DIS boards have been great and I am so thankful for everyone's help. I will be putting a trip report on once I get back on Oct 19th or 20th!

So, I noticed from other boards that credit cards are not charged until you leave or reach a balance? Since I will be going with my daughter and sister, can she have her own credit card on her magic band and I have one on mine? If so, I read that still at the end of vacation you may need to figure out who charged for what?

Last year my mom and i went with my aunt and cousin, and we all shared a room. At the beginning of our trip we told the front desk that mine and my mothers will be charged to one card and my aunt and cousins to another credit card. They split it with no problem. Anytime during the day you can walk up to the counter and ask them to print you a bill, and it is broken down by each transaction and who made that transaction. You have to add it up yourself as it does not give you a total for each user. It charged my moms credit card with the initial amount around 6 am the day we were checking out and once again around 11pm with the extra charges we had made since 6am.

Let me know if youre confused! I was in your shoes!

Awesome thread it has helped so much for us first timers to POR and a moderate...this thread is so awesome (and the PO website) that Disney should be giving you discounts on your next stay after all I upgraded to a Royal room because of it:thumbsup2

So with that being said Royal room garden view with wife and young daughters which building can you suggest.

Thanks in advancepirate:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter