Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part One [Thread now FULL and closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ate lunch in the food court.. Make your own pasta. It was pretty gross. One does not boil Alfredo sauce. I shouldn't have watched her put together my meal. Not that it would have tastes better. The brownie was really good tho.

I'll see how the rest of the trip goes before I give final judgement on POR.

I had the create your own pasta 4 times when I was there last month - I liked it the 3 times it was made by a guy, but the one time it was made by the female chef it was horrible - swimming in oil, yuck... I left most of it! I always had the alfredo sauce, but found it so much nicer when it was the male chef cooking it. And I agree about the brownie - yum!

I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip - I am so jealous of anyone where atm, I am having serious Disney withdrawal!

I also don't like the fact that the TV is flat against the wall. I can't sit at my table and work and see the TV. (Yes, I have to work on this vacation)

Got in yesterday at about 9 am. My reservation was totally broken. None of my faxed requests were granted. The CM checking me in, made one phone call, and got me one of my requested rooms.

After about 30 minutes, she finally got me my room key card. I went to the gift shop to buy something and my KTTK card was rejected. Back to the front desk. 40 minutes later, my original reservation had to be deleted and a new on entered. The CMs were great.

Well, POR is a beautiful resort and my room is very nice. But it's very confusing, the pathing is horrible and in just two days, I already hate the bus service. This morning, at 6:50 am it took me 45 minutes to get a bus to AK. I made it to my Tusker house ADR with 5 minutes to spare.

I ate lunch in the food court.. Make your own pasta. It was pretty gross. One does not boil Alfredo sauce. I shouldn't have watched her put together my meal. Not that it would have tastes better. The brownie was really good tho.

I'll see how the rest of the trip goes before I give final judgement on POR.

We got back a couple of weeks ago from our second POR trip- also will note some of the same things. We also did NOT get our faxed request. But no big deal. Busing was aweful AGAIN after first 2 days- so we drove the rest of the 10 days, much better. Had a bad experience with the pasta station also. Had close to an INCH of oil in the bottom (no kidding- should have taken a pic). But will say DH had a good one later in the week. Loved the salad station- long waits though. Made friends in line many times:) Will agree the pathes are VERY confusing. After our 10th day, we were still making wrong turns and getting turned around. I LOVED how quiet this resort was again- which makes up for ALL of the other stuff!!! Overall- it was still a great trip. Just think next time will stick with a preferred room and set out to drive to the parks from the start now that we are experts at getting around. Will most likely go back to POR- unless we splurge for deluxe.

POR is my favorite moderate. I prefer the AB section. Love the lush landscaping. I find it easier to get turned around at Mansions. Maybe because I've stayed at AB more often? Which knows. Don't recall bye issues, so they must not have been too bad.

We got back a couple of weeks ago from our second POR trip- also will note some of the same things. We also did NOT get our faxed request. But no big deal. Busing was aweful AGAIN after first 2 days- so we drove the rest of the 10 days, much better. Had a bad experience with the pasta station also. Had close to an INCH of oil in the bottom (no kidding- should have taken a pic). But will say DH had a good one later in the week. Loved the salad station- long waits though. Made friends in line many times:) Will agree the pathes are VERY confusing. After our 10th day, we were still making wrong turns and getting turned around. I LOVED how quiet this resort was again- which makes up for ALL of the other stuff!!! Overall- it was still a great trip. Just think next time will stick with a preferred room and set out to drive to the parks from the start now that we are experts at getting around. Will most likely go back to POR- unless we splurge for deluxe.

Sorry you didn't get your room requests. I was very surprised we got ours and I requested a lot of things (top floor, corner room, no connecting door, quiet bldg in AB), but it was ALL granted.

We did have to wait an extra hour or 2 but it was worth the wait. The refrigerator wasn't working well when we got into the room BUT I called housekeeping and someone came up within 10 min and then came back 10 min later with a brand new refrigerator. I was told most of the "cooling units" are electro-something cooling units and not actually refrigerators but they are replacing them with "real" refrigerators gradually (I guess as they break down ;))...oh and it had a freezer section!

Our room was great, it was so quiet (which was what I was looking for) although not close to main area which was ok as I was more concerned about it being quiet.;)

I do TOTALLY agree though, not an easy task trying to find the buildings and navigate the paths. We went to check out where the bldg was before we were assigned our room and we went on for what seemed like the "3 hr tour"...there was a boy following us who was lost as well but we were able to help him out. The signs are terrible, very different from the map. When we used the map it was easier as long as we didn't look at the signs as they just throw you off, not sure what the deal is with that...:confused3

The other issue was definitely the buses, terrible - took us over an hr to get to DTD, could have walked quicker, waited 30+ min in the early evening at the West Depot, (2 buses went by that we weren't able to board because they were full)...finally we were able to board and then another "3 hr tour"-every stop in POR and then onto POFQ and then the Marketplace and FINALLY PI more than 30 min later. Not sure if the boat would have been quicker but we took that way back and it almost did seem quicker-but then we had to find our way back from the main area (another 10-15 min walk).

However, given those 2 issues I would still stay here again. It's a lovely resort with beautiful grounds and it's quiet. I got better sleep here than at any of the deluxes we've ever stayed at. Even though there are catwalks you can't hear people chatting as they go by because the windows are hurricane-proof so they cut out most of the noise. We just know we'll be using the car more which is ok. :thumbsup2

Bus service in Dec was great but it can be hit or miss any day any resort.

As far as requests unfortunately they are just that and not guaranteed but they normally try to be accommodating

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & POFQ Sept 8-15, 2013

Thinking of staying at POR in November- the only moderate we have ever stayed at has been POFQ bc my DH has something against the more than one bus stop resorts... I really want to try something different, and he said he would stay here if we could always have the 1st bus stop (I'm assuming that's the main one?). Can anyone tell me what kind of room category to book, or not book, and what kind of request I should add? Thanks!

Thinking of staying at POR in November- the only moderate we have ever stayed at has been POFQ bc my DH has something against the more than one bus stop resorts... I really want to try something different, and he said he would stay here if we could always have the 1st bus stop (I'm assuming that's the main one?). Can anyone tell me what kind of room category to book, or not book, and what kind of request I should add? Thanks!

If you book a preferred room, you will be close to the South Depot.

Kimmy2Disney said:

If you eat in the food court every morning, you will be close to the south depot and do not have to necessarily book preferred.

Hi, I have a question for Andre or Venom..I am new here and we just moved our POFQ to POR to take advantage of he higher late Aug discount. At POFQ I wasn't too concerned wi my room assignment, but at POR I am (no preferred rooms were left, so we booked garden and would prefer AB). My TA put our room request in our booking, but she told me not to do on-line check in as it would erase what she wrote? I've read a lot of conflicting info on whether not to do online. I will send the fax....ask for your help!

Hi, I have a question for Andre or Venom..I am new here and we just moved our POFQ to POR to take advantage of he higher late Aug discount. At POFQ I wasn't too concerned wi my room assignment, but at POR I am (no preferred rooms were left, so we booked garden and would prefer AB). My TA put our room request in our booking, but she told me not to do on-line check in as it would erase what she wrote? I've read a lot of conflicting info on whether not to do online. I will send the fax....ask for your help!

I do not suggest the online check in either, some do. Because that could, not saying it will, reset the requests and clear them out. What I would do is take the room request fax I have prepared in the third post on the first page of this thread and prepare yourself a little request list. Send it in about 7-10 days out and you should, but not always get some type of confirmation back from the Room Team. If you need any further help when you get to ten posts you can Private Message me on these forums and we can go over it further.

I do not suggest the online check in either, some do. Because that could, not saying it will, reset the requests and clear them out. What I would do is take the room request fax I have prepared in the third post on the first page of this thread and prepare yourself a little request list. Send it in about 7-10 days out and you should, but not always get some type of confirmation back from the Room Team. If you need any further help when you get to ten posts you can Private Message me on these forums and we can go over it further.

Thank you, I appreciate the advice!

If you book a preferred room, you will be close to the South Depot.

Like somebody else mentioned, if eating breakfast at the resort, just hop on the bus at the Main bus stop near the General Store. At the end of the evening, the first return bus stop is in Alligator Bayou - West Depot, then North Depot which also serves AB and Acadian House. Final Stop is East Depot for Magnolia and Oak. Seriously, though, I never found the return stops at night to be more than a minute. If you didn't want to stay in AB, fax a request for Acadian House. It is only the 2nd stop on a return and a nice area.

Do everything VenomHatch says...I followed his advice to a t and got a sweet room in Oak Manor, Riverfront and it was perfection. Frankly, I can't remember if I did online check in or not, but I had a return email from the room assignment director and took that long with me. Didn't need it though because all was good at the WORLD! :)

I have a question about the buses.

For our October trip, we are staying in AB in a preferred room so we plan to use the south depot. From what I understand, the bus picks up at POFQ first, then South depot is the next stop. Do the buses ever completely fill up at POFQ? Is it often standing room only by the time it gets to POR? I'm used to POP with one bus stop, so it has me a bit worried.

We are rope droppers so will be using the early buses, as well as taking afternoon breaks and staying at parks til close. We never had any issues with POP buses even after Wishes in early August :) loved POP but am very excited to try POR.

I have a question about the buses.

For our October trip, we are staying in AB in a preferred room so we plan to use the south depot. From what I understand, the bus picks up at POFQ first, then South depot is the next stop. Do the buses ever completely fill up at POFQ? Is it often standing room only by the time it gets to POR? I'm used to POP with one bus stop, so it has me a bit worried.

We are rope droppers so will be using the early buses, as well as taking afternoon breaks and staying at parks til close. We never had any issues with POP buses even after Wishes in early August :) loved POP but am very excited to try POR.

When we were there in October, we never had that issue. It happened once in December, but that was closer to Christmas. I'm sure there are times during the day it can happen, but we didn't have that issue. After Wishes and the Halloween and Christmas parties, there were at least 2 buses for POR...they came prepared!

About how long would it take to get from the hotel to the Beach Club? We have a 5:30 dinner reservation at Cape May and want to make sure we budget enough time

Ahh crap, I just did online check in last night. We originally booked preferred and once the discount came out, we had to switch to river view. So the TA put in notes to have us as close to preferred as possible, since that was our original booking. So I may or may not have wrecked that?!? :confused3 I'll send the fax and hope that does it. If not...we're still at Disney, right!? How bad could it be! :goodvibes

pixiedust:

Ahh crap, I just did online check in last night. We originally booked preferred and once the discount came out, we had to switch to river view. So the TA put in notes to have us as close to preferred as possible, since that was our original booking. So I may or may not have wrecked that?!? :confused3 I'll send the fax and hope that does it. If not...we're still at Disney, right!? How bad could it be! :goodvibes

pixiedust:
I wouldn't worry about it. My TA put in requests, I did online check in and then I faxed my request using Venom's template. I got all of my requests, which I wasn't expecting and was extremely happy about!

About how long would it take to get from the hotel to the Beach Club? We have a 5:30 dinner reservation at Cape May and want to make sure we budget enough time

There's a couple of ways you could go...Resort to Resort is always the most lengthy prospect, unless you are going to OKW or POFQ, of course. I'd take the boat to DTD then the bus to Beach Club. Or you could take the bus to Epcot & walk to Beach club, but that would take longer. By car, it would be 10 minutes.

Incidentally, when we went to Hoop De Doo, it was faster (for us) to take bus to MK then boat to Fort Wilderness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter