Port Orleans Riverside : Preferred Room or Royal Guest Room?

LoveDisneyDad

Earning My Ears
We (ME, DW, DS5, DS2) are going to be staying at Port Orleans Riverside in early July 2015. We already have a preferred room booked as close proximity to bus stops and main building was a big priority for us. We are now thinking that we like the look and theme of the royal guest rooms better and we may be renting a scooter for my wife as she will be near the end of her second trimester with baby #3. I know the the preferred rooms do not have elevators so royal room would be better for that.

I know there is an extra cost for the royal rooms and that is not a problem. Does anybody know if we would be able to call the resort and ask to change room types (based on availability of course)? The rooms were booked through a travel agency and paid for by my bosses so I would want to do this without their knowing as I don't want to come across as ungrateful, because I am not at all I am just trying to maximize the experience as we are from Vancouver and usually go to Disneyland as it is much closer.

So I guess my two questions are: 1) What are peoples opinions on the two room options? 2) Do you know if available the resort would allow us to switch room types and pay the difference even if booked through a travel agency and paid for someone else originally?

Thanks in advance

I've not stayed in a preferred room but I've recently stayed in a Princess Suite and my DD (aged 5) was over the moon. It was a lovely room and we would stay in one again. However with that in mind I would upgrade within that category to have a view. We were in the very back of our building, right off the car park and at the top of a stairwell which meant lots of noise and not the best view. Thought we weren't in our room often enough to be too bothered" we did agree in retrospect that it did lessen the magic/ambiance.

x
Dora

I haven't stayed in either, but I believe that any changes to the reservation need to be made through the travel agent. You can always ask to upgrade at check in, if there is availability.

We stayed in the RR a couple of years ago and loved them. However, with a pregnant wife and two young children, you might prefer the convenience of the preferred rooms. The RR are a walk from the food court and the bus stop.

Personally, I loved walking all over the resort and it was no problem at all for me. In fact, one of my favorite things to do at DW is to take relaxing walks around the gorgeous resort grounds. However, my mom is mobility limited and my daughter (6 at the time) did not like walking to the food court. I found myself walking alone and picking up food and drinks to bring back to the room so they did not have to make the trek.

If you have people in your group who will not enjoy walking, I think you are better off in a PR. If you think your family won't mind a walk or two every day (possibly in very hot sun or a downpour of July rain), then the RR are an excellent choice.

We loved our preferred room. We were in Bldg 15 in a corner room, it overlooked the parking lot out the front window and the side window was a garden view. The only request I made was for a corner room. We were on the 2nd floor, but you could probably request 1st floor. Just past the right corner of the parking lot was the South bus stop, about a 3min walk. It was the first stop of the 4 in the resort. To the left was the food court and it was about the same distance. We loved the location. We were also a short walk to the main pool and close to the quiet pool too. My DDs were about 11 & 13 at the time (2012) and loved the theme of this room.

I've never stayed in the Aligator Bayou section where the preferred rooms are. We had a Royal Room in January and loved it. I was (still am) getting over knee surgery and requested a location close to a foot bridge. We had an ideal location in Oak Manor, in the inner courtyard, River side of building. It was close to bridge, and the elevator.

If you booked with a TA, any changes must be made by the TA you booked with. As mentioned, you could ask at check in for a Royal Room. But in the mean time be sure TA has noted in your reservation for preferred room that you'd like a ground floor. And why. The more info they have about your needs, the better they can get you a room to fulfill your needs.

If you do get the Royal Room, I would suggest booking the Pool View. I had one of these and it almost guarantees you will be closest to the foot bridge to the main building. If you request a ground floor that would be even better. I have not stayed in Alligator Bayou, but the Royal Room was very nice and well decorated. My DD (7) loved it at first, but it does wear off after a couple days. I'm glad we did it once, but I would not pay extra again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter