Port Orleans Riverside FAQ thread --- 2012, Part Three --- NOW FULL / CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I guess I didn't word this right?
Could you please tell me what kind of weather you are experiencing at WDW right now, I know it can change but I just need a generalized feel so I can start packing for our upcoming trip? Should I pack shorts a jacket for mornings and evenings? Is it cool at night? Or should I skip shorts and just go w pants all day/all night? Thank you for any input!:)

Hi there! Have been here since yesterday. If you are from a colder climate, you should be fine with shorts or capris with a shirt and sweatshirt during the day and jeans at night, especially if at EPCOT, seeing FANTASMIC!, or being along water. We just had the two coolest nights/mornings expected of an 8-night trip we were at EPCOT until 11 tonight and my DDs and I were fine in jeans, long-sleeve Ts and sweatshirts/light fleeces. My DH was fine in shorts and a long-sleeve button-down shirt. I packed lots of capris and I think for the rest of our stay, they will be fine morning to night with the fleece for the chillier spots.

Hope that helps! To us Northerns, this weather is perfect!!!

I've looked at the map but I'm still not sure exactly, but what rooms are closest to the food court and to the bus depot? We have 2 small kids and we wont be exploring the resort too much anyways. Rather be close to the main stuff. Thx

I've looked at the map but I'm still not sure exactly, but what rooms are closest to the food court and to the bus depot? We have 2 small kids and we wont be exploring the resort too much anyways. Rather be close to the main stuff. Thx

Alligator Bayou building 14 (a 'preferred location' booking) is the closest. The mansion buildings are quite big and spread out, but some of the wing-end rooms in Magnolia Terrace and some in Acadian House are pretty close too (via the bridge across Ol' Man Island). If you want AB with a non-preferred booking, 16 and 17 are your best options.

However as there are so many alternatives which might work for you, you are probably better asking for what you want (i.e. "close to food court and bus stop as we have small children") rather than asking for a building number as such.

Hmmm. You make an interesting point Andre. I did online check in already and put MY credit card on the account. We share the card but each have a different number.

If both cards come from the same account you only need to register one of them and you'll both be able to use it with your keycards, as long as you both know the PIN you will be asked to create. You'll be fine to check in on your own.

Where is the best place to rent a car for one day when staying at Riverside? We would need to be picked up by a shuttle and taken to rental place or is there a place in Downtown Disney that is a very easy and quick walk from where the boat takes drops you off from POR? Other ideas? Would Car Care Center be better?

We have used Dollar in the past. They are located at the Wyndham on Hotel Plaza Boulevard, right next to Downtown Disney (just opposite the Rainforest Cafe / DTD bus station area, it's the first hotel you come to on the left-hand side). Take the boat to DTD and walk over the road to the hotel to collect your car, and drop back the same way the next day. But most of the majors are on-site at WDW somewhere.

Andre

Could anyone on-site at the moment confirm the current SSID (i.e. access point name) for the free wi-fi service at the resort? I've just read that in-room Wi-Fi is now meant to be "In-room Guest WiFi (Disney)" and public space Wi-Fi (presumably for the parks too?) is now "Public Space Guest WiFi (Disney)".

It also says that the speed should be 3Mbps per user, which is much faster than room wi-fi tested when I tried it last (although it seems about right for the parks). The site www.speedtest.net can check access speeds (they also have iOS/Android apps).

Andre

mom2princesses2 said:
Hi there! Have been here since yesterday. If you are from a colder climate, you should be fine with shorts or capris with a shirt and sweatshirt during the day and jeans at night, especially if at EPCOT, seeing FANTASMIC!, or being along water. We just had the two coolest nights/mornings expected of an 8-night trip we were at EPCOT until 11 tonight and my DDs and I were fine in jeans, long-sleeve Ts and sweatshirts/light fleeces. My DH was fine in shorts and a long-sleeve button-down shirt. I packed lots of capris and I think for the rest of our stay, they will be fine morning to night with the fleece for the chillier spots.

Hope that helps! To us Northerns, this weather is perfect!!!

Thanks! I was hoping to be able to wear shorts, my husband is particularly comfortable in shorts and a long sleeve shirt, I am fine in capris and my son is better in shorts and a fleece than jeans. I like to wear cardigans w shorts or capris, which keeps me comfortable when it's chillier in am and at night! Thank you for that info! I will begin packing today!

andrewilley said:
Could anyone on-site at the moment confirm the current SSID (i.e. access point name) for the free wi-fi service at the resort? I've just read that in-room Wi-Fi is now meant to be "In-room Guest WiFi (Disney)" and public space Wi-Fi (presumably for the parks too?) is now "Public Space Guest WiFi (Disney)".

Andre

In room now, speed test was 2.79mbps. you are correct with SSID for in room. When I was in park yesterday I checked on iPhone & seem to recall public space guest was their wifi. We have iPad, laptop & phones & have no problem. My daughter is taking an online course which has her working even on vacation & wifi is working great.

Our flight is scheduled to land at MCO at around 10am Sunday morning. Is it safe to assume we'll get to POR around 11 (using Magical Express)?

We landed at 10:20 (Air Tran), did not have to wait in ME line got right onto a bus which leftg in 10 minutes and we arrived at 11:45am. We were impressed to say the least.

Thank you, Venom, for your fax template and fax assistance! I sent my request late last night and got a friendly email from David Elg just now. He honored all of our requests and more! :wizard:

4 days!

The February 2013 Recreation Activities and Movie Schedules for Port Orleans Riverside are now available. See the main Recreation Activities Schedule page for a full-size PDF version, or click on the image below.

The outdoor movies will start at 7pm and the daily campfires commence at 5:30pm this month. And if youre going to be at Port Orleans for Mardi Gras, dont forget the special parade of decorated pargo carts which the cast members organise every year at 1:30pm on Tuesday 12 February.

Andre

Thank you, Venom, for your fax template and fax assistance! I sent my request late last night and got a friendly email from David Elg just now. He honored all of our requests and more! :wizard:

4 days!

Glad to hear it! Have a magical visit!

We anticipate arriving around noon on Wednesday and the first thing the kids want to do, even before heading to Epcot, is swim. If our room is not quite ready, is there somewhere we can change at the main pool area? We'll have our swimsuits in our carryon backpacks.

Is the River Roost "live entertainment" I see listed under recreation Wed - Sat that Yee Haw Bob show that I've been reading about on here? I see they have drinks at River Roost - anything non alcoholic for the kids? Any (vegetetarian) snacks?

Thanks!

We anticipate arriving around noon on Wednesday and the first thing the kids want to do, even before heading to Epcot, is swim. If our room is not quite ready, is there somewhere we can change at the main pool area? We'll have our swimsuits in our carryon backpacks.

I believe I read that tere is a changing room, shower and lockers area beside the pool bar.

As to your other question, I don't know. Sorry!

Is the River Roost "live entertainment" I see listed under recreation Wed - Sat that Yee Haw Bob show that I've been reading about on here? I see they have drinks at River Roost - anything non alcoholic for the kids? Any (vegetetarian) snacks?

There are changing facilities by the main pool (next to the Muddy Rivers bar) with showers and lockers. Although I wouldn't be at all surprised if your room was ready when you arrive anyway (have you done online checkin to let them know your arrival time?)

Yes, "Ye Haa" Bob plays at the River Roost Lounge Wed-Sat. There are plenty of drinks suitable for the kids there (My DD and I both love the Orange Burst smoothies that they do at the pool bar, which you can also get at the lounge). There are some snacks available in the lounge, but no one will mind if you bring some stuff over from the food court which is just along the corridor.

Andre

There are changing facilities by the main pool (next to the Muddy Rivers bar) with showers and lockers. Although I wouldn't be at all surprised if your room was ready when you arrive anyway (have you done online checkin to let them know your arrival time?)

Yes, "Ye Haa" Bob plays at the River Roost Lounge Wed-Sat. There are plenty of drinks suitable for the kids there (My DD and I both love the Orange Burst smoothies that they do at the pool bar, which you can also get at the lounge). There are some snacks available in the lounge, but no one will mind if you bring some stuff over from the food court which is just along the corridor.

Andre

I did do online checkin and a fax with our early arrival info. and heard back that we were upgraded to a preferred room on the 2nd floor in the corner :) but were told it might not be ready at our early arrival, so I just want to be prepared to take the kids swimming. We would much rather take that room over an early check in for another.

Good to know about the drinks and snacks - thanks! We are planning an early night on Friday after AK and were thinking we might do that.

Thank you, Andre, for this fabulous thread. As I think I mentioned before, we've only stayed off-site as a family and when we decided to do this trip the Stay/Play/Dine deal was a better deal than staying off-site and since there are 5 of us we just ended up at POR - I really don't think we could've picked a better resort if I had researched it! I don't think we will want to return to off-site after this!

3 weeks people!! My kids are getting so excited and so are we! I think I'm ready, I added the pack and play and ground floor to the reservation with our TA, now to send in that fax requesting a closer building :thumbsup2

Thank you for all the time and love that has been put into this thread and the others! Andre, you are amazing!

I did do online checkin and a fax with our early arrival info. and heard back that we were upgraded to a preferred room on the 2nd floor in the corner :) but were told it might not be ready at our early arrival, so I just want to be prepared to take the kids swimming. We would much rather take that room over an early check in for another.

Good to know about the drinks and snacks - thanks! We are planning an early night on Friday after AK and were thinking we might do that.

Thank you, Andre, for this fabulous thread. As I think I mentioned before, we've only stayed off-site as a family and when we decided to do this trip the Stay/Play/Dine deal was a better deal than staying off-site and since there are 5 of us we just ended up at POR - I really don't think we could've picked a better resort if I had researched it! I don't think we will want to return to off-site after this!

Did you specifically request a corner room?We booked preferred and I'd like to request top floor, non parking lot view but think adding corner and close to main building might be a bit much!!!! Just curious! maybe I don't need to worry about close to main building as possible if I have already booked preferred.

Did you specifically request a corner room?We booked preferred and I'd like to request top floor, non parking lot view but think adding corner and close to main building might be a bit much!!!! Just curious! maybe I don't need to worry about close to main building as possible if I have already booked preferred.

We had booked a garden view room. I requested an early (noon) check in, close to the food court (we did not book preferred). I then asked if there might be any extra pixie dust for a corner room on the second floor. The reply was for an upgrade to a preferred room (I believe they are all close to the food court) with a corner room on the second floor BUT possibly the room not being ready at noon. We are thrilled! I think if you are already preferred then you wouldn't need to ask for a room close to the main building. Good luck!

Can someone direct me to instructions on how to send an online fax? We don't have a land line and my dh was not in his regular work office today so he couldn't do it there and we are 5 days out. :cool1:

I did a google search and found this: http://faxzero.com/ so am wondering, can I just use that?

Thank you so much!

I also don't have easy access to a fax machine. Has anyone else used this online fax service?
I can take a drive to the copy place in town if needed though. :)

I don't have a question, I just want to say that this thread is making me even more excited for our trip (which isn't until October). As much as our daughters are going to love everything about WDW, they are going to love POR as well. We booked a Royal Guest Room - River View which we are sure they'll love. They will both be celebrating their 7th birthday (they are twins) while we are there so this is going to be a magical birthday!! I just wish it would get here already!!

Thanks for all of the great information!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!